Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Motors Centre Naming Rights Update.

2 posters

Go down

General Motors Centre Naming Rights Update. Empty General Motors Centre Naming Rights Update.

Post by archer_gens Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:25 am

A source told me that GM has not payed for this years naming rights, and are also late paying for next years naming rights, thus owing about 140,000$ to the city.

I would guess that the building would be renamed at the end of the season. I can't see GM coming up with the money anytime soon.

With the Economy bad, will the city find a sponsor willing to foot the bill? or will we go with something neutral for the time being?

If there wasn't a sponsor what would be a reasonable name until one is found?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

General Motors Centre Naming Rights Update. Empty Re: General Motors Centre Naming Rights Update.

Post by Guest Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:14 pm

how about the bobby orr centre would be a good choice for a new name i think.

Back to top Go down

General Motors Centre Naming Rights Update. Empty Re: General Motors Centre Naming Rights Update.

Post by archer_gens Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:11 am

i like it but it won't happen

1) when the economy turns around they will want to rename it agian to make money, thats pretty classless to dedicate the building and then change the name

2) Orr hates money being made off his name
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Dec 17, 2008 11:55 pm

Arenas with sponsored names change all the time. Steelback Breweries was the sponsor for the arena in the Soo but the name changed after the brewery filed for bankruptcy protection.

It was really great for Oshawa to have a sponsor that was not just some company that was advertising but a company with a historic link with the city's growth and development - something people can really identify with. GM is now faced with a situation where the very survival of the company is at risk. They have to logically cut back on advertising.

The arena needs to find a new sponsor if GM isn't paying. Its budget is assuming that revenue from naming rights is in place. If GM isn't able to renew, somebody else will. Unfortunately, I don't know of any company out there that will give the arena an identity in the same way that GM did. In all likelihood, if there is a new sponsor, it won't be as popular a name.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down