Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trade Ideas

+13
opinionated
chupa81
core33
steamed
oshgens2k2
archer_gens
Gens Camper
mygens
StingRay5
Macker88
jaycro
WILLSPEN1966
KHE
17 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Trade Ideas - Page 3 Empty Re: Trade Ideas

Post by Oshawa fan Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:17 pm

I enjoy the posts on this thread. All of us are armchair GM's. That is just part of being a fan. Twohey has better hockey credentials than anyone here. Hopefully he will make the right moves.

The deadline is January 10th (I think). Things can happen right up to the last moment. Not every deal works out. Many of you will remember the deal for Michael Neuvirth. Sounded great on paper (especially before we knew Mitchell was included). Turned out the Gens got damaged goods and the deal hurt the Gens for several years.

Twohey has to balance what can happen this year with also keeping fans interested and getting playoff gates for the team. He also has to keep the future in mind. I am content with the job he has done so far. There is no point making trades just for the sake of making a trade. There has to be a match that improves both teams at some point.

I think the early January will be a very interesting time around Oshawa.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:23 pm

Oshawa fan wrote:I enjoy the posts on this thread.  All of us are armchair GM's.  That is just part of being a fan.   Twohey has better hockey credentials than anyone here.  Hopefully he will make the right moves.  

The deadline is January 10th (I think).  Things can happen right up to the last moment.  Not every deal works out.  Many of you will remember the deal for Michael Neuvirth.  Sounded great on paper (especially before we knew Mitchell was included).  Turned out the Gens got damaged goods and the deal hurt the Gens for several years.

Twohey has to balance what can happen this year with also keeping fans interested and getting playoff gates for the team.  He also has to keep the future in mind.  I am content with the job he has done so far.  There is no point making trades just for the sake of making a trade.  There has to be a match that improves both teams at some point.

I think the early January will be a very interesting time around Oshawa.
I couldn't agree more good post cheers 
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:17 pm

Hope this helps:
Vishal Hussain ‏
Just spoke with GM Jeff Twohey, says the Generals will try and improve if they can, but have to be mindful not to mortgage future.

steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 am

Keep hearing Domi for Laughton... God I hope not! I'm sure there is more involved, but I think it would be a stupid move!!

chupa81

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:17 am

HOLY GOD IF THAT HAPPENS I WILL BE ABSOLOUTLY SICK,I WILL PUKE, I DONT WANT THAT BUM HERE IN OSHAWA.... THAT WOULD TOTALLY SUCK AND BE VERY VERY VERY UPSET.

I SAY IF THAT HAPPENS WE TRADE HIM TO A LOSING TEAM.

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 am

don't believe it true but if so it will have to be more included for Laughton,but he does has ties to oshawa, Twohey draft his farther..
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:35 am

Maybe Domi , two good younger defencemen and two 2nd round draft choices, one for next year and one for 2015/ Maybe, just maybe? Nah won't happen because Hunter doesn't have that coin.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:40 am

steamed wrote:don't believe it true but if so it will have to be more included for Laughton,but he does has ties to oshawa, Twohey draft his farther..

I was told this from a good source! But I too said there is no way!! He said just don't be surprised that it happens this week! My thought is why trade for someone who will not be hear next year as well.. We just need some tweaks not a Domi and the baggage of a father! from what I read on HF Boards he's not well liked! I guess we wait and see.

chupa81

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:00 pm

This is the draft picks London has for the next two years:

2014: 1st, 3rd, 5th, KGN 5th, OTT 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, BEL 15th
2015: 1st, SAG 4th, SBY 4th (*), KGN 4th, KIT 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 13th, 14th, OSH 15th (*), BEL 15th (*), SAG 15th (*), OTT 15th

We need a couple of 2nd's back for this to make sense.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:24 pm

StingRay5 wrote:This is the draft picks London has for the next two years:

2014: 1st, 3rd, 5th, KGN 5th, OTT 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, BEL 15th
2015: 1st, SAG 4th, SBY 4th (*), KGN 4th, KIT 5th, 6th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 13th, 14th, OSH 15th (*), BEL 15th (*), SAG 15th (*), OTT 15th

I agree... Which they don't have, there is no way I take Domi! But that's just me. Laughton is a great player maybe this years OHL MVP. I can't see us getting rid of him. If they do, they better be a hole lot coming back, to help us this year and the next few years.

chupa81

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:41 pm

cheers 
chupa81 wrote:
StingRay5 wrote:This is the draft picks London has for the next two years:

I agree... Which they don't have, there is no way I take Domi! But that's just me.  Laughton is a great player maybe this years OHL MVP. I can't see us getting rid of him. If they do, they better be a hole lot coming back, to help us this year and the next few years.

Thats the only way to trade Laughton,a trade that still helps us this year and for the future. cheers
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:28 pm

After reviewing all the names being bantered about in various threads here, it is my opinion that Trevor Carrick and Gemel Smith would be the Gens best choices. Carrick is a good sized solid defenceman and Smith is the"sniper" they need.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:07 pm

Laughton isn't going anywhere. Talked with someone around team in professional role said Laughton isn't going anywhere and would turn down trade if asked. Loves this team and wants to finish a general.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 pm

oshgens2k2 wrote:Laughton isn't going anywhere. Talked with someone around team in professional role said Laughton isn't going anywhere and would turn down trade if asked. Loves this team and wants to finish a general.

Hope the person you talked to, has better info then the person I talked to, who also has a role with the team!

chupa81

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:54 pm

Conversation from Laughton to person I know. Course could be wrong but I don't see a trade with London. London doesn't have what it would take to acquire Laughton. Minimum for me is 3 seconds, marner and a 17 year old. They don't have the picks to do it. Oshawa team chemistry is high right now. All the guys genuinely like each other and that chemistry makes you a better team. Right now by tweaking a couple spots this team is in east final vs Barrie or Kingston. There are players that could be acquired that cost less than what the rychel a cost.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:26 pm

I personally don't see Laughton going to London either, mainly because they don't have the picks and because I don't see them moving Marner as part of a trade. If Laughton goes any where its like to be Erie or Guelph.

Guelph, if Laughton was to become available (assuming he's not), Laughton would be an upgrade over every Center on Guelph's roster, but of course your keeping him in the top 6. So Robbi Fabbri would like become available in a trade for Laughton. With their defensive depth I also see this years 1st round pick Garrett McFadden becoming available. I know they don't have 2nd's but if your getting Fabbri & McFadden, to former 1st's that are effective producers, you can take 3rd's in this deal. So Fabbri, McFadden, Maybe Pius Suter as well who would help our depth as well as open an Import spot in Guelph and 2 3rd's.

Erie, Erie acquired Gaunce and has McDavid centering the 1st line, so I see them less likely of the two to acquire Laughton (again if we was to become available). However both Gaunce and McDavid have played the wing, so if Erie wanted to experiment that, it could make sense. Erie still has a few 2nd round picks, a few 3rd's and some solid young players. As far as players go, Dylan Strome would likely not become available. It would likely be guys like Jake Evans, Kyle Pettit, Darren Raddysh & Travis Dermott that would become available. Would I take Evans/Pettit & Raddysh/Dermott plus 2 2nds and a couple of 3rd,4th's of 5th's over the proposed Fabbri/McFadden and Picks deal I suggested.. probably not.

As far as the Max Domi Rumors. Domi is undoubtedly a very skilled player. BUT ... he plays a really selfish game, an has an extremely high ego and seems to carry lots of baggage. You have to think this is a reason he was left off Team Canada. However from a strictly performance and hockey and business level, it makes sense. As good as Domi is he'll be back in the O next season. He'll become a high value trade piece if Oshawa struggles next season. He isn't of Laughton's caliber but he keeps us competing amongst the top in the East while also being around next season. Also look at it this way.. Fans will be pissed if Laughton goes, but... you bring in max DOMI for him.. fans anger is immediately reduced. Sure us fans who no more about the game no this wouldn't be a great trade, but those bandwagon fans love it. Who sells the most jersey's Laughton & Dal Colle.. if Laughton's gone.. Domi is gonna sell a hell of a lot of jersey's. I know when trading you can't base it on Fans approval or Jersey sales, but lets not kid ourselves Junior Hockey is a business and these things are looked at when it comes to trading your World Junior Captain and Team Superstar. ... Yes Laughton will likely be Team Canada's captain.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sportznut Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:37 pm

Great thread, very enjoyable read. Personally I think we can all say we have been pleasantly surprised with how well the Gens are playing. I would of never called this outcome in the summer. As a season ticket holder, I thought we would see a lot less MacDonalds fries this year Smile. On a serious note, I would like to see the Gens make a run for it but there is many holes to fill and the cost could be high.
There is one prominent factor that I see this team needs, it is a tough winger with offensive skills. We need a HEAVY weight to keep other big teams in check(ie Windsor,Kingston..). Richie from the Pete's comes to mind in this role, and he would help protect our core players. The Gens in my opinion are too small overall and need some size. As good as Vande Sompel is offensively, he scares the death out me when he goes to the corners in our end. He has already been concussed and I see more coming if he doesn't change his approach quickly. Realizing he is only 16 and looks great offensively there is much needed work defensively, as mentioned in earlier posts. We need 2 defence with size and toughness to help stabilize puck control in our end. Win more battles in the corners and clear the front of the net. But the big question is what does this cost? Do not trade Harding (then again never say never, could get a sweet deal). I really like this guy and once his confidence develops we could see another Nathan Horton. I would put Vande Sompel on the block to start any type of negotiation. See where it goes from there but I am sure other teams would be cautious and the latest concussion may bring his value down. Bringing in 2 solid defenceman will help improve our goal tending... reducing scoring opportunities. One thing the Gens staff has been very good at over the years is how well they draft. So I would put some faith into that for our future needs. Just my thoughts...great thread for all the armchair GM's
Will be interesting to see which direction Twohey goes with the squad. I am inclined to think Twohey will not move Laughton, the team is playing too well and he will make some changes to strengthen the team. It won't be a block buster just a modest change.
Cheers

sportznut

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:34 pm

The only way you might consider moving a 16 yr  is if you got a 16 yr old in return as we have no 2 nd rd pick in  each of the next 2 yrs

The other issue is where is your depth on defense for the future

If Laughton is moved it could also include Altshuller and the only team that might do it is Guelph

Erie most likely will be strong again next BUT Guelph it is this year or BUST

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm

That doesn't make sense, what contending team says hey Oshawa I'd like Mitchell Vande Sompel and I'll trade you Mitchell Marner or Garrett McFadden. It just doesn't make any sense. If you wanna acquire top end talent at the OHL trade deadline or prior, you need to be willing to part with young talent, which usually are your 1st or 2nd round picks from the most recent draft. And at this point, Vande Sompel is not as useful as Sam Harding is, thus making him the guy your more likely to trade for an upgrade.

Junior Hockey is a gamble when it comes to trades. If you wanna go for it, you have to go all in an go for it. There is no worrying for next season. If you think you have a legit shot at the Memorial Cup you go for it. If you consider yourself a buyer, you have to buy. But nothing in life is free and top veteran talent costs top young talent.

Why does are D-Core in the future keep coming up as an issue for you. Brown will be back, Petschenig will be back, Carlisle will be back, Desrocher will be back, an Kuronen will likely be back. That's 5 of our top 7 if Vande Sompel is traded. Plus Daniel Robertson has already seen action this season. Stephen Templeton is having a great year in the OPJAHL for Milton. Will likely add a D in the Draft with either our 1st or 3rd pick if we do move Vande Sompel. An you can always use your import pick on one. You can also acquire 1 next season from a team with to many OA's or for a late round pick. An don't count out Kelly Summers as after he is drafted by an NHL club its not out of the question that they ask him to go to Major Junior over the NCAA. Bottom line are D-Core in the future isn't an issue.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:29 pm

I am going to say right this now....im not fan of all this trading talk of vande sompel, my family including myself all really like him,hes a great talent and hes getting better every game.He plays great defensivlly and he's a great skater to go along with making great plays and first passes to either a player or just getting the puck out.He may not be a very physical player but hes a very defensivilly sound player.Yeah he will make a mistake here or there buts hes a rookie so give this kid a break.I also dont understand why we trade him and then use up a spot in the 1st or 3rd round of the draft next year just to replace that.....makes absoloutlly no sense....why not keep him and watch him develop into one of the top defenceman in the league instead.He may not be producing a boat load of points but at least hes doing alot of all the other things right.I think hes going to be a great D man in the coming years so trading him makes no sense at all.....Just for a rental player which may not even pan out the way you want it...Ask london how the tavares,del zotto thing worked out for them.

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:37 pm

Your missing the point. If the Generals wanna go for it this year, they can't just trade late round picks for league all stars. You have to trade people of Vande Sompel's quality. In saying you have to trade Vande Sompel to get something it means he is in fact a good player. Why else would teams entertain trading a top player for him if he wasn't. But with that being said I have to respectively disagree with part of your response. Vande Sompel is not sound defensively. He loses almost every puck battle in the defensive zone, he turns the puck over number out times and his lack of size makes it unable for him to make up for these miscues. Offensively I love the kids game, great skater, great outlet pass & great shot. Those last 3 things are what make him an attractive player to other teams.
In saying draft a defensemen first or 3rd next season or draft an defensemen with are import pick, I'm simply offering avenues to replace him if we do indeed trade him. I'm simply saying are defence core would not be depleted as a result of trading him, as there are avenues to replace him. It would be great to let him develop, but if a team calls me for him an offers a player that would make a substantial difference to my clubs chances at winning a memorial cup, I have to consider trading him.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:21 pm

well well well.................MVS has played 19 games in the "O" and now we need to trade him? sorry people but give your head a shake.....he's not going anywhere soon.... despite all your "inside connections within the team".

Just think about it for a bit......
we are in 1st place in the east
we are sitting 2nd overall (based on total points)
we are 3rd on the PP
we are 2nd on the PK
we have 2 players in the top 5 in points
we have a goalie in the top 5 in the league

please tell me when this last occurred?
this is one of the best teams we have had the pleasure to watch as NOT ONE of us could have seen this!
The GM & Coach will be extremely cautious if & when they decide to peruse a trade. this team is as solid as I've seen in a long while

if the GM makes no moves & we lose in the 1st round will you be disappointed?
if the GM makes a few moves & we lose in the 1st round will you be disappointed?

but what will you say if this team goes out & wins it all?

just some thoughts to ponder as you all play arm-chair GM's Very Happy 

gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:14 am

well said gens rock

Back to top Go down

Post by 5forfighting Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:46 pm

I just don't understand why everyone is talking about trading Laughton? Why would a team that is first in their conference and have a fairly decent lead, think hey lets get rid of our best player and pretty much walk away from potentially going to the memorial cup? All the generals have to do is fight to win the East. They sit back and watch Guelph, London and Erie bang the crap out of each other buying for 1st in the West. Lets face it the Hunters aren't going down lightly...and Branch isn't going to let what happen with Sasktoon happen to his beloved Knights.

This doesnt seem like a roll over and die team that we have seen in the past few years. For the first time in awhile i sense they are playing for each other and together, not as individualists. We dont necessarily need a super star player. We have plenty of non star players now who get the job done. Perhaps we need an average kid (that won't cost much) who is willing to buy into DJ's system. Lets face it, would ANYONE have though Hunter Smith would have 22 pts in 29 games?? Not i!

I myself would rather Twohey make a small move here or there and roll the dice that we get to the conference final (and lets face it if they dont oh well. Theres one thing Gens fans are use to and thats heartbreak ha ha). We have a OA position free. Maybe they pick up a player who is placed on waivers from the Q or W around the deadline. Anyone remember that nice little pick up they got in 97 off waivers?

5forfighting

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:15 pm

I also do think Twohey will pick up cast offs that won't cost much. but if a team is willing to make an offer that Twohey can't refuse for Laughton that doesn't really hurt the team this year do you make the trade? my opinion yes but thats my opinion.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next