Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Time to Do Something ?

+3
jaycro
KHE
Macker88
7 posters

Go down

Time to Do Something ? Empty Time to Do Something ?

Post by Macker88 Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:22 pm

I'm not ready to push the panic button, far from it. But with seeing so many contenders making moves to upgrade their teams, it's left me wondering what exactly the plan for this years Generals team is.

North Bay, Kingston & Sudbury have all upgraded to some degree. Even Niagara and Mississauga have added a piece or two, that's had an impact on their club. Barrie has caught fire as of late going 8-0-1-1 in there last 10. While the Generals have gone 5-3 in there last 8, losing to Erie, Windsor and Barrie, all legitimate OHL championship contenders.

With the Subway Series happening last week and this week, that means the World Junior Selection Camp is on the horizon, and while we will likely only lose Laughton for the whole World Junior Championship, its not out of the question that Daniel Altshuller and Michael Dal Colle get invited to the Selection Camp. On top of the Canadians possibly departing, Cole Cassels may leave for the USA selection camp, and Kuronen will likely have a shot at the Finnish National team. On top of those guys, Sam Harding and Mitchell Vande Sompel will be leaving for Team Ontario. We could possibly be with out 4 of our top 9 forwards and 2 of our top 6 D as well as our starting goalie for at least a weekend set of games. During the time these players are likely to be away the Generals do the Northern Road trip to the Soo and Sudbury, both solid top contending teams.

I personally think, inserting guys that are Jr.A or Jr.B call ups into the lineup while these guys are gone could equal a string of loses. I think its really time to at least make a few minor moves. Adding a depth winger like Scott Simmond of Belleville or Ryan Van Stralen from Ottawa would definitely help. Adding a D-man like Luke Mercer from Niagara or Josh Chapman from Sarnia or Ben Fanelli from Kitchener or Mitch Jones from Plymouth would also help. Heck even adding guys that have OHL experience that have been released like Ryan Duhaime or John Bowen could help.

I understand the team has great chemistry and is playing well, but we have already missed the boat on a few players that could of helped, and the price will likely only go up for players. If were going to go for it this season deals need to be made sooner rather then later. If where content with the team we have, where not getting past Barrie in a 7 game series, nor will we likely get past Sudbury or Kingston, especially if they add a couple upgrades. So we should start selling off guys that aren't likely to be back this season.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Time to Do Something ? Empty Re: Time to Do Something ?

Post by KHE Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:33 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if something happens this week prior to the teams departure for Plymouth. I have no information about any pending deal. It's just a hunch. It's a busy time coming up for the this team prior to the Christmas break. It would be a good time for a newly acquired player to get accustomed to his new surroundings.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:59 pm

Not sure I would add Simmonds, a 3rd, 4th liner at best. Bellevegas fans say he's only on the team because his dad owns it. Van Stralen would be a good addition at the right price, Luke Mercer was overrated as a first round pick and doesn't bring much in size and "truculence". Don't know know much about the others but fans on HF Boards aren't enamoured with Fanelli. I think we can do better, but as was pointed out, the "good ones" have been moved or are in the process.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:34 pm

Here's my reasoning behind each player,
Simmonds - He's an Overage player who's in his 4th OHL season, he's seen his point totals increase and his game get better over the years. He really isn't anything special, your correct. But he's a solid 3rd, 4th line guy who can contribute in that role. An he'd come for a 7th, 8th round pick. Granted he takes an OA spot so if we can find a better OA, this move doesn't make sense. But its an option.

Van Stralen - He's also an overage player, in his 3rd OHL season. He too has seen his point totals increase over the years. He's on pace to be a 25 goal scorer on a weak 67's team. On the Generals he could possibly slot in on the 2nd line and pp. He's a big body at 6'3, 207. He's not a fighter per say, but will drop the mits.

Mercer - Yes, overrated as a 1st round pick, but that's on the Icedogs not us. He's still a solid player. He's a 94 so he wouldn't take up an OA spot. He's a good power play quarter back, while not overly physical, he is good positional and would be an upgrade over Vande Sompel and Carlisle on the Gens PP.

Fanelli - Yea he's not flashy or talked about, but he's a good defensemen. He's not gonna come in an be a top 4 guy, but as a depth 5 or 6 if he would contribute. He is an OA, so again it would probably be under the circumstance, that he was the best we could snag for our 3rd OA.

Again these guys are by no means game changers or top guys, but they'd come cheap and would upgrade areas of the game and the overall depth

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:01 pm

Thanks for the rationale Macker88. You obviously know your players, certainly better than I.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:59 pm

Gens fans: You can do better than the players mentioned. Don't panic. You looked good in Kingston Friday night. The old croc.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:59 pm

Absolutely the Gen's could do better then the aforementioned players. But my thinking is if they wanna upgrade without subtracting anything key for next season, these are the type of players will be looking at acquiring, as they'll likely only cost late round picks or depth forwards that are easily replaceable.

In a perfect would we'd make a trade for Ryan Hartman, Gianluca Curcuruto, and one of Carter Sandlack, Zach Lorentz or Nick Malysa.

This would address are need for a top 6 forward. One of whom can play wing, as well as play on the pp, pk and plays a physical style of game (Hartman). We'd get a top 4 defensemen whom can run a pp, has a heavy shot, is physical and strong defensively and is an NHL draft pick (Curcuruto). An in Sandlack or Lorentz we get a similar player no matter who would come. A guy who could slot in on the 2nd or 3rd line wing. Sandlack could play some PP while they both could see some PK time. If we went with Malysa we get a veteran depth defensemen who would fill a need playing any where between the 2nd or 3rd pairing.

It would probably take one of Vande Sompel or Harding, plus one of Busch or Manchurek. A long with with some draft picks, likely a 2nd and a couple 3rds and a 4th.

That's a lot to give up given next season we could have equally as good of a shot at winning the East.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:14 am

This is just a ? what would you do: If a Team offered the Generals such a great deal for Scott laughton and (or)Dan Altshuller that you absolutly can't refuse would you make the deal?
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Tue Nov 26, 2013 11:44 am

We would need to acquire multiple seconds for the next two years plus a couple 16 or 17 year old up and comers to unload those two. I'm of the opinion play it out like London and Windsor do. They trade away seconds five and six years down the road to win now and then draft soundly with their first and third and further picks . We need a top 4 defenseman, healthy back up goalie in appleby to give altshuller a break and Kerby rychel in our top six forwards.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:12 pm

steamed wrote:This is just a ? what would you do: If a Team offered the Generals such a great deal for Scott laughton and (or)Dan Altshuller that you absolutly can't refuse would you make the deal?
That's an interesting question.  At the beginning of the season I would have done the deal no questions asked.  Now that the team has itself in the position to win it's first East Division title since the 1990-91 season when the East Division was known as they Leyden Division I don't think I would do it.  Mainly due to the fact that the East is weak this year... and I mean weak.  Oshawa is the strongest team in the Eastern Conference in my opinion and they have a very good opportunity to go to the OHL Finals if the appropriate moves are made.  As we all know this team is a business first and foremost and teams make their most money from the playoff games... that is where all the gravy revenue comes from.  I think that where the Gens have placed themselves this year it's a virtual certainty that Laughton and Atlshuller will not be moved.  That perhaps is the reason why there have been no trades to date for this hockey club.  They have yet to signal to everyone if they'll be buyers or sellers.  I realize that's a stupid thing to say, buyers or sellers for a team in first place by a wide margin.  But the fact of the matter is virtually all the season tickets holders want them to add a couple pieces and make a run.  That is where I think sending the wrong signal to the fan base could be a massive mistake for this management team.  OHL and CHL hockey isn't a certainty.  Last year we thought we had the team that was just going to walk to the OHL Finals, only to find that in the end we had a lot of selfish players with an attitude that wasn't "team first".  This year we thought we'd be a lower half of the conference type of team when low and behold we have a comfortable lead on top of the standings.  The bottom line is if you want to have the opportunity to win the Eastern Conference and the OHL Championship you have to do it with the best players.  Laughton is arguably the best forward in the OHL and Altshuller is arguably one of the best goalies in the league.  You can't win without these guys.  Oshawa, I'm certain wasn't expecting the success they are having this year and I'm sure their plans have changed in regards to their philosophy this year.  I would be hard pressed to accept virtually any deal for Laughton and Altshuller at this point as the exodus of fans would be a big hit on the bottom line for this hockey club short term.  OHL teams always see an increase in attendance after Christmas due to the exposure of players in the WJHC and making the right moves for Oshawa by the trade deadline will send a good message to all of those casual hockey fans in Oshawa that only show up for winners.  I don't think there is a deal out there that Oshawa could make that would look good for the fan base.

Just my opinion.
KHE

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:46 pm

An excellent summation of the Gennies dilemma. They are between a rock and a hard place so to speak. I don't think they are at London's' Erie's or Guelph's level right now. I see them in a group with the Soo, Windsor and Barrie talent wise. We would really have to mortgage the farm to compete with the big three and as I have said, repeatedly, we don't have a lot of the popular 2nd rounders to move. I think in January they move both Laughton and Altshuller for two bundles of high quality 95's and 96's and a handful of 2nd rounders and go for it next year. (see what the Icedogs got for Graham!)

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:27 pm

jaycro wrote: I think in January they move both Laughton and Altshuller for two bundles of high quality 95's and 96's and a handful of 2nd rounders and go for it next year. (see what the Icedogs got for Graham!)
The only team able to make that trade then is Erie.. and Dylan Strome must be on the way back among others.

KHE

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:04 pm

I wasn't necessarily thinking of moving them as a package. Erie wouldn't want Altshuller as they are set in net. Maybe Laughton for Strome and Jake Evans (might be a bit greedy!), or Strome and 2 or 3 2nds in the next two years. And Altshuller to Guelph for Adam Craievich, one of their tenders, preferably Mat Mancina and a 2nd?

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:52 pm

the future is now , as mentioned this is the best chance we have of reaching the oho finals in a very , very long time , I'm hoping the team adds a few pieces to the puzzle , even if it means tanking next year , to go to the memorial cup , its never been this wide open , as long as i can remember .

we need to fill our overage positions with quality players , ( Biggs ? doing nothing in the ohl , i don't get it )

another strong defenseman and forwrd pls

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Nov 26, 2013 2:53 pm

oh and a tough guy , can't have BROWN , doing all the defending of our forwards , need him on the ice

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down