Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More 10 Game Suspensions

3 posters

Go down

More 10 Game Suspensions Empty More 10 Game Suspensions

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:16 pm

I'm an Oshawa Generals fan through & through, but constantly seeing other teams players suspended for 10 games at a time is becoming intolerable for me. David Branch throws around 10 game suspensions like they're 2 minute penalties. I understand hockey has become far more aware of head shots in the past 5 -7 years and that all leagues are throwing out stiffer penalties, but the OHL by far throws out the most outrageous suspensions. Hayden Hodgson of Sarnia & Gilbert Gabor of Owen Sound both have just been handed 10 game suspensions for hits to the head.
Is it any coincidence that Hodgson is 6'2 and Gabor is 6'4 surely every hit they throw could be a hit to the head. Both of these guys play a physical game, but neither of them are reckless..Gabor has 71 PIM in 98 OHL games, Hodgson has 110 in 95 games. They're no angels but if your game is a physical game you have to be able to hit. When 6'2, 6'4 guys hit an catch guys with their heads down, yes usually the player on the receiving end of the hit could be injured.. based solely on the size of the opposing player, does that mean its a dirty hit, absolutely not. Is it a hit to the head.. Sure, but if your head is at hip height how can you justify calling it a hit to the head, when its the player receiving the hits fault for having his head down. I played hockey for 20 years... I played house league right through to tier 2 Jr.A, every coach I ever had told us to keep our heads up. I feel like now a days players just don't protect themselves because they know pretty much every hit is a penalty.
I love that rough an tumble old time hockey. I don't mind fights here an there. Did I enjoy seeing the goon type hockey played in the OHL in the early and mid 90's (I wasn't born til the late 80's so i really can't comment on the OHL in the 80s) no not really, I liked the rough play an fights that came from rivalries such as Peterborough vs Oshawa, but did I like the line brawls and the stick swinging and all that stuff no. What I'm getting at is, Hockey is and always has been a rough sport, every single person who plays the game is aware of this when they play. It's one thing to crack down on hits to the head an give suspensions now instead of 2 minute elbowing or roughing penalties, but to take away almost a quarter of a players season for a debatable hit comon now. These are kids trying to make the NHL, you think they purposely wanna hurt guys an be out for 10-15 games in their draft year or during a year they could make the WJC or Under 17/18's.
David Branch needs to give his head a shake. Its Hockey not ballet.

A big reason for me posting this is, guys like Hunter Smith, Alex Lepkowski & Josh Brown are all big guys, and big parts to the Generals. They all play rough and physical, I don't want them to tone down their games or change there game.. which currently is effective, in fear of a 10 game suspension. Same goes for Scott Laughton, he's more effective when he's engaged physically, but do you think he wants to risk a 10 game suspension just to finish one of his checks.. no probably not. But finishing your checks are part of hockey, an NHL scouts look for things like finishing your checks among other small details in a players game.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

More 10 Game Suspensions Empty Re: More 10 Game Suspensions

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:22 pm

Cristiano DiGiacinto got 8 games for this hit. Someone please tell what if anything is wrong with this hit.
The Erie player was cutting across the middle with his head down, and DiGiacinto did not charge the player, did not get his hands or elbows up. It was shoulder to chest/chin (because his head was down). This is a beautiful hit.

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/video/index/id/1410ea8afbe0c49b1b377db09919e69e

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:49 pm

looked like a good hit.. I like the reason of "unsuspecting player" they guy had the puck skating through center ice.. if he is not expecting a hit, he shouldn't be playing

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:12 am

Exactly ! How can you say unsuspecting player is reasoning behind a 8-10 game suspension. Like you said if your skating through center ice not expecting a hit you have got to brain dead as far as hockey IQ goes. Keeping your head up and being aware while skating through the middle are things your taught from a very young age. At the OHL level you should no better.

Take a look at the Gabor Hit and the Hodgson hit, they are on the OHL website.

- The Gabor Hit, the puck is coming up the boards to Dylan Strome, he looses it in his feet, looks down, looks up an see's Gabor but its a little bit late, he ducks, Gabor finishes his check. Gabor slightly raises his elbow, but Strome is falling.. The video clearly shows Strome see's Gabor. Yet reasoning is 1.Unsuspecting player, 2.Play resulted in injury. By those standards if Player A takes a slap shot an breaks player B's foot, Player A should get a 10 game suspension. And to add this is Gabor's first ever suspension.

The Hodgson hit, the Plymouth Player looses the puck in his feet as well, Hodgson is coming from behind the net, Plymouth player never see's him coming (mainly because his head never once looks up), Hodgson smokes the Plymouth player. He did leave is feet, launching himself into the Whalers player. He is a repeat offender. However, If the Plymouth player lifted his head just once, even for a second he would of seen Hodgson coming an re-positioned himself. But based on the Charge and Hodgson leaving his feet, and him being a repeat offender. I could justiffy 5 games. 3 if he was not a repeat offender. As the play is not an attempt to hurt the other player. It was more momentum and reckless body position.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:51 pm

Rule 48 – Checking to the Head48.1 Checking to the Head - The act of checking an opponent to the head
in any manner.
48.2 Minor Penalty – A minor penalty shall be assessed to any player who
checks an opponent to the head area.
48.3 Major plus Game Misconduct Penalty – At the discretion of the
referee and based on the degree of impact a major penalty and a
game misconduct can be assessed any player who checks an
opponent to the head area.
48.4 Match Penalty – A match penalty shall be assessed to any player
who deliberately attempts to injure an opponent by checking to the
head area.
Note: A hit to the head with a shoulder shall be considered an illegal check
and shall be penalized as checking to the head.
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:47 pm

I'm well aware of the rules. But that is the issue at hand. Since when was a shoulder check an illegal check. That is how your taught to hit.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down