Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Adam Bateman Released by Spitfires

4 posters

Go down

Adam Bateman Released by Spitfires Empty Adam Bateman Released by Spitfires

Post by Macker88 Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:53 pm

Usually I'd just post this in the OHL Off-Season New section but I feel this is pretty significant news an closely could involve the Generals.

Adam Bateman is a '95 born Defenseman who stands at 5'11, 185lbs. He's been twice passed over in the NHL draft after he was highly touted out of Minor Midget AAA. He played his Minor Midget AAA season with the Don Mills Flyers, where he appeared in 31 games scoring 3 goals & 23 assists for 26 points. He appeared in 7 games in the OHL cup, scoring 1 goal & 9 assists for 10 points. The Don Mills Flyers lost in the OHL Cup final. That Don Mills team had the likes of Max Domi, Darnell Nurse, Charlie Graham, Matt Buckles and Aidan Wallace.
Bateman was ultimately selected by the Niagara IceDogs in the 1st Round, 19th Overall, but refused to report an was later trade to Windsor.
Bateman appeared in 64 games in his rookie season, scoring 1 goal & 10 assists for 11 points. He was a minus 19 on the season. Bateman represented Ontario that season at the U-17 Championships, he played in 6 games, scoring 1 goal & 2 assists for 3 points on route to a bronze medal.
In 2012-2013 Bateman appeared in 56 games for the Spitfires, scoring 5 goals & 5 assists for 10 points. He was a minus 8 on the season.
Last year, Bateman appeared in a career low 43 games, scoring 1 goal & 7 assists for 8 points. Bateman was a minus 5 on the season. He appeared in 3 playoff games, had 0 points and was a minus 1.

Bateman hasn't lived up to his first round selection, that's a given. But this kid is a fairly good defenseman. He's seen his plus/minus improve each season, while his offensive totals have gone up an down throughout his career. I believe he is a very solid bottom pairing D-Man, who can contribute on the power play, if given the opportunity. I believe Generals coach DJ Smith was around the Spitfires during Bateman's draft year and I believe the Generals could have interest in Bateman.
Despite Josh Brown likely returning along with Will Petschenig, Stephen Desrocher, Chris Carlisle & Mitchell Vande Sompel & Stephen Templeton coming in along with Sonny Hertzberg, the Generals adding Bateman would be a good safety net and upgrade over a few player. If Brown goes pro the D core is very young, a player like Bateman would help. If Brown returns Bateman would be an upgrade over Carlisle, an moving Carlisle opens up another OA spot which could become very important down the stretch. Bateman is no risk, all reward he should be seriously looked at by Oshawa.

Bateman was available an has been since last season, but the price tag was always something teams where unwilling to pay. With him being a free agent I'm sure teams will be interested in taking a risk on him. If not I hear there is serious interest from QMJHL teams.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Adam Bateman Released by Spitfires Empty Re: Adam Bateman Released by Spitfires

Post by steamed Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:20 am

Expect to see a #QMJHL team add '95 born Ontario defenceman, Adam Bateman. #QMJHL
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:37 pm

That's the rumour, but it's also the rumour everytime an OHL player gets put on waivers.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jul 09, 2014 12:50 pm

if spitfires release him , why would everyone else want him ???? are the spitfires that deep on D ?

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:16 pm

The Spitfires Did release Bateman. Yes they are deep on defence. Sometimes quality player ask to be traded or released due to lack of ice time or a falling out with a specific coach, it's not always a negative.
Some teams release players that could help other teams, they're not going to be superstars, but they can provide quality depth. In the Oshawa Generals situation, Bateman would be an upgrade over Carlisle, Desrocher and potential rookies. Also considering he would cost the Generals no draft pick or prospects or players it's worth the risk.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:40 pm

Macker. pass your thoughts on to the Gennies!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:57 pm

I'd love to have the opportunity, but hey we can all debate what they should & shouldn't do, but at the end of the day one would hope they have their own game plan that they are following. Adam Bateman is just a player I've liked since his rookie season in the OHL. He's over hyped because of his first round selection. Had he been a 4/5/6th round pick there wouldn't be the negative talk that sometimes surrounds him.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:11 pm

Bateman has cleared not only OHL Waivers but CHL waivers. His options will now be Tier 2 Jr. A or Canadian University Hockey (CIS).

It's hard for me to believe this kid couldn't crack any roster in the CHL. Sudbury has a huge whole on the backend, Ottawa could use him, North Bay loses two key D-Men, not to mention there where some really bad teams in the QMJHL & WHL.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down