Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oshawa Vs Peterborough

4 posters

Go down

Oshawa Vs Peterborough Empty Oshawa Vs Peterborough

Post by Macker88 Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:52 am

Fairly entertaining game in front of a pretty much packed house at the Pickering Rec Centre.

A quick few thoughts before I get into my player analysis. Was sort of shocked to see Liam Devine just get two periods of play, kinda felt he deserved a whole game, an putting Brodeur in for the third was pretty pointless. Also noticed DJ shortened his bench midway through the second. Don't recall Robertson or Harrison getting much ice if any in third. I mean it's pre season let the kids get some ice an earn spots.

Onto the analysis,
Goaltending - Thought Liam Devine played fairly well, he definitely needs a year of seasoning at the Tier 2 or Jr. B level. He shows a lot of potential, big goalie, moves well, recovers well and like his agility. Jeremy Brodeur game in in the third an played very well in my
Opinion, the kid will challenge Appleby for starts. You saw a distinct difference in Brodeur & Devine's game.

Defense, lemme start out by saying no one other then Riley Stillman & Mitchell Vande Sompel impressed me. Will Petschenig was steady as the come as he usually is. Really like his stay at home game, likes to throw the body around an be physical, expect him to continue this season. Vande Sompel looks amazing, kid must have put on some weight his season because he is really throwing the body around, engaging himself physically an competing hard on every puck. Those three things where things I felt he lacked last season, an with him adding those, if he can be consistent I believe he could slip into the late first round of the NHL draft. Riley Stillman like I said impressed me, he's seemingly very composed for a 16 year old rookie, makes smart pinches, joins the rush appropriately and injects himself physically, an offensively, things you don't often see from 16 year old defenseman. Felt he outplayed Templeton, Carlisle & Hertzberg. Sonny Hertzberg looks like he's still adjusting to the North American game, you can see he has a high hockey IQ, and some solid puck moving skills, but the speed of the OHL game looks to be effecting him. As of right now I'm not overly impressed. Templeton, for me I didn't notice him out there tonight, and for a player who's considered a defensive d-man that's not always a bad thing. Templeton plays a simple game so I wouldn't expect any jaw dropping plays, but with that being said I did expect some more physicality to his game. Chris Carlisle, well there is know knocking his skating, he's a fantastic skater. Other then that, he's brutal. I often wonder if he understands hockey, it looks as if his hockey iq is in the single digits he just does not think the game. Turns the puck over far to much, makes the wrong read constantly an for an offensive d-man he provides very little offence. If Carlisle was a 1st or 2nd year guy I wouldn't be so critical, but he's an OA... He needs to be moved.

Forwards,
Cliff Pu, I was critical of the drafting of Pu. What I saw in my viewings last year was a kid with immense skills, a top end skater and a smart hockey player. What he lacked was a compete level, physicality and defensive instincts. What I saw tonight was all of the good qualities on display.. An some physicality added an a high compete level. Even the defensive side of his game has improved. Really happy with his progression.
Sam Harding, another kid I really have liked his progression from last year to know. He was great in the face off circle, reliable defensively, and created tons of opportunity offensively. I'd really be intrigued to see him centre Dal Colle an possibly Lindberg or Sterk, his offensive game seems to be coming around.
Aidan Wallace, he's found his niche, he's not going to evolve into a scorer, he's a solid third line checker who is great on the PK, brings high energy and likes to drag and bang. The fact he has some slick mitts and can find the back of the net from time to time is a bonus. Wallace will be an important part to this team this season.
Kenny Huether, really liked the little I saw of him, he has that spark plug mentality to him, but has great offensive instinct. He's got good speed an is a good skater, very smart player. He'll likely see fourth line minutes, but hey if he's on my teams fourth line I'm liking my roster.
Bradley Latour, do not like him at Center ! Lost pretty much every draw, honestly don't recall him winning one. Hopefully this move was made because of the lack of roster options with guys away at camp. Really expected more out of Latour, coming off a good season he doesn't seem to have improved. An that's probably why he wasn't invited to any NHL camps after a pretty good season offensively. He struggles to create his own offence and I feel is better suited for a checking role.
Michael Turner, he saw limited ice in my opinion, but he's a big kid who can skate, injects himself physically and has decent enough hands to finish around the net. He'll see fourth line minutes, but again if he's on my fourth line I'm not complaining.
Jake Harrison, saw very limited ice, but he's improved over last season. His skating needs work, no doubting that. But he's a hard worker, high compete level, physical, he's not a OHL calibre player, but he plays a role as a physical player who will fight. But I don't think the Gens need to waste roster spot on him.
Josh Sterk, not gonna say much. He played fairly well, kind of expected more out of a guy who was a top 6 player last year playing against watered down competition, none the less he didn't play bad.
Joe Manchurek, not impressed. Feel like he's reached his celling, he had that great 6 game call up stint 2 years ago an since has never reached that same play. He scored tonight on a great top corner shot. But put that aside an he wasn't impressive. Sure he fought as well, but I feel a guy like Cirelli plays a similar game, but is younger an has more upside.
Another Cirelli, love his compete level, in hard on every play, has good speed, thinks the game well, very instinctive, just overall see a lot of potential an I'm really impressed. I'd keep him over McDade, Manchurek, and even Turner.
Daniel Robertson, I know he's a d-man who was playing forward, he looked good on the forecheck, very physical, liked what I saw in limited ice. Wouldn't mind if the Gens kept him around as a swing man. He could be useful seeing as he's capable of playing d and forward.

Going forward I think the Gens D will need an upgrade despite being pretty deep, there's just not a ton of experience an that may catch up to them. Like the goaltending trio an further more the two guys who will be with the Gens this season (Appleby & Brodeur). The forward core seems set with a fairly skilled top 6, a good checking line, an fourth line that can play skilled or gritty.

Potential lineup,
Dal Colle - Harding - Lindberg
Sterk - Cassels - Pu
Latour - Wallace - Busch
Turner - Huether - Dundas
Manchurek - McDade - Cirelli

Brown - Vande Sompel
Petschenig - Desrocher
Carlisle - Hertzberg
Stillman - Templeton
Robertson

Appleby
Brodeur
Devine

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Oshawa Vs Peterborough Empty Re: Oshawa Vs Peterborough

Post by StingRay5 Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:02 am

Hey Macker;

I see you are having a tough time slotting in Hunter Smith....
I really like the idea of moving Harding up into the top six. With it being crowded do you think they might make a trade for a draft pick with one of the extra pieces?

I missed the exhibition games this year so I really appreciate the review.

Regarding Manchurek and McDade. DJ did say at the town hall that he is giving these guys a chance to play however they are going to have to outplay the new guys pushing them. I didn't see that at camp. I wont be surprised if McDade is the first to go.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:18 am

Well the push might of happen as DJ said in an interview that Anthony Cirelli  really had a good exhibition and he's going to stay with us. Very Happy
now I hope Stillman impressed to stay with the team Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:18 pm

For Stillman I would rather see him playing top 4 minutes a level down than riding the bench and/or being a healthy scratch for this year.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:20 pm

You know I knew I was forgetting someone, wouldn't mind slotting Hunter Smith in along side Cassles and Pu, drop Sterk down to play with Wallace and Latour then have Busch play with Dundas and Turner/Huether/Cirelli

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:24 pm

As far as trades go, ultimately I think they'll look to move Manchurek & McDade up front. And Carlisle has got to be on his way out on the back end. I don't think any would fetch much, but I can see them packaging Carlisle & Manchurek to a team for a more stable veteran D-Man. McDade likely brings a 9th rounder at best.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:53 pm

manchurek and mcdade , never been impressed with their compete level of skill , hopefully this team has improved enough to let them try somewhere else .

Carlisle …..not good enough to take up an overage spot on a winning team , enough said !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:51 pm

McDade I can agree never has impressed with his skill. But let's not forget there are roles on teams that involve checking, hitting and fighting. Spark plug type players who are great around the dressing room. McDade is that type of player, although with him getting older and younger players like Cirelli for instance really proving they belong here, tough cuts will need to be made. To me McDade doesn't have a ton of value, you could move him to a team with not a lot of depth up front like Barrie, Sudbury, Ottawa, Owen Sound, Erie or Sarnia for a 9th round or later pick.
Manchurek, impressed me in his Brief call up two seasons ago, since then I haven't seen much improvement. His skating has improved as has his timing but, that's not enough improvement to occupy a roster spot with so many players pushing for spots an ice. He's been deployed in a PK role an a checker role an I feel his game doesn't translate to that. He's an offensive kid, but lacks OHL calibre offence. Moving him to one of the teams I mentioned looking for offensive upgrades for a mid round pick would make some sense. Or packaging him with Carlisle for an upgrade on the back end.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down