Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Rocco about to sell the GENS - makes 1 wonder

+14
LX
Rinkrat
hockeybeats
nerfherder
jaycro
Tuckerfan1
generalsfan
core33
opinionated
overbank99
mygens
oshgens2k2
steamed
Gens Camper
18 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Is Rocco about to sell the GENS -  makes 1 wonder - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Rocco about to sell the GENS - makes 1 wonder

Post by LX Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:16 pm

I've been hearing $700 000 for a new one

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Is Rocco about to sell the GENS -  makes 1 wonder - Page 2 Empty Re: Is Rocco about to sell the GENS - makes 1 wonder

Post by hockeybeats Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:29 pm

I've heard $250,000 but that was per screen and you need four of them to be visible from all four sides. I'm assuming there's going to be a range in what you can buy depending on the quality so that $700,000 figure sounds reasonably accurate but it can go over $1 million for all four sides depending on what you get. Plus, the longer they wait, the cheaper the technology gets (or the better for the same price). I have no idea what the status is on the purchase of a new video board but I would much rather they take a year or two to think about it and make the right purchase rather than rush and buy something they will regret in a couple of years.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:57 pm

I know where they can save money ? Get rid of the security outfit they have policing ( and I mean that literally ) the doors and the seat areas I'd like to know what they are paying Global Spectrum for their services

This is Oshawa , not Toronto , New York , or La

I'm sure it's not cheap , Iliked it at the civic , friendly retired part time people from our community. Who you got to know , I never knew one rude one all the years I was there

The global spectrum group not nearly as polite or friendly , bossy and rude is more like it actually

I'm sure that would save money and be more of a pleasant environment to boot

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:11 am

I saw Seinfeld last week and it was an awesome show! You wouldn't be getting big acts like KISS, Elton John or Jerry Seinfeld without Global Spectrum or a similar company running the arena. There's definitely a loss in the community feel of the Civic but there is a benefit to the town to have some help in recruiting these big acts to come to Oshawa ... not to mention the big money for local businesses. I tried to get into pretty much every restaurant in downtown Oshawa before the show, out of luck! Completely full!

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:17 pm

well then if booking all these celebrities at the gmc is bringing money to the building and surrounding businesses , why does the city of oshawa claim the building loses 400,00 per year ?????

and Id like to know what global spectrum is costing the city of oshawa ????

I suspect the city of oshawa can't afford global spectrum ! and global spectrum is certainly not required for junior hockey games !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:23 pm

in my view the city of oshawa has never really supported the oshawa generals to the extent that it should , General motors doesn't either !

and if you take away the oshawa generals from the city of oshawa , what really is left in oshawa ??? not much !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:26 pm

the city of oshawa is the highest taxed municipality in ontario .

if north bay and kingston can afford beautiful screens why not oshawa ????

something not right with this picture ! and its been going on for years !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:29 pm

most nights the fans turn out to the extent of between 5000 and 6000 seats filled , the generals are more than doing their part , please stop making excuses for oshawa council .

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:42 pm

As a compromise how about lowered music volume during intermissions but at start of game and during we need crowd and players into the game. I've talked to more than a few people that couldn't believe there was 6000 fans there for London game because there was no atmosphere or noise unless libraries and funeral homes are your cup of tea.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:18 pm

Just wanted to address some of the comments here.

As to City not supporting the Generals the whole arena was built with the Generals as the key tenant. I would have thought that was pretty good support.

Global Spectrum have done a good job of improving the income flow for the building. The losses are reduced every year. Hopefully it will break even soon.

The TV screen is terrible but how does one justify a one million dollar expenditure for a new one to the taxpayers of the city (yes I am one). As a fan I hate the screen. As a taxpayer I recognize that there are more important things for the city to spend their money on.

If a sponsor came forward to pay for a significant portion of the upgrade then it would be more palatable to the taxpayers. I doubt this will happen though.

The noise level has been a problem in the past with poor sound quality. Not sure how to solve all those problems.

Loud music is not likely to help improve the crowd noise. My view is will come with scoreboard messages and exciting play as the season goes on. A cheerleader who attempts to start GO GENS GO at inappropriate times doesn't help.

Just one fan's thoughts

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:10 pm

When is it not appropriate to yell "Go Gens Go" ? just wondering...
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:32 pm

StingRay5 wrote:When is it not appropriate to yell "Go Gens Go" ?   just wondering...

If you pick your spots the chant will carry. The guy with the microphone often picks what seem to strange spots to make an attempt.

For example the start of a powerplay might be a really good time. I'm not sure about when they take a penalty although there should be lots of noise when they do a great job on the PK.

I think the fans who start the chant seem to have a better sense of timing.

As I said just my views.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by ag48 Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:32 pm

A lower noise level is certainly necessary during the intermissions so people can talk to each other about the period of play. if you notice more than a few people leave there seats between periods and head for the concourse so there can hear each other speak without raising the voices so they can be heard.

As far as getting the crowd into the game during play someone mentioned an organist even if its recorded and controlled by someone with a sense as to when to play it that would make better sense, the young man who tries to get the fans into it as a strong set of lungs and is trying. Karen does her best to get the crowd going with her signature cheer but as far a loud music NO.

I wear hearing aids and still need to have the folks speaking to me before and during intermission to speak up over the loud music and add's, i don't think anyone is saying it should be like a funeral home or library but it certainly shouldn't be like a Bar or Rock Concert.

my opinion Very Happy

ag48

Number of posts : 75
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:48 am

It's a hockey game people! Do any of you watch sporting events or go to any of them? Some of you are really showing your age on here. During the game and start of game there needs to be more energy in building. It's not the same I know but the energy at an nfl game, raptors game, world junior game is much higher. We are the number one team in the country people. Intermissions turn the volume down for sure but I want energy and passion from the fans to give our boys a lift and make it tough for the opposition to play here.

Just my two cents

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 29, 2015 4:31 am

I understand how annoying it can be to not here the person next to you, but at the same time folks your going to a hockey game to watch the game, not socialize. Socialize during the intermission, I'd hate to see the GMC turn into the ACC where you can here a pin drop.

I've been in the GMC when its been less then half full, I've been in there when the Durham Turfdogs play there an 40 people show up and I've been there when its sold out, its sad to say.. but there's little to know difference in the atmosphere between the three.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:05 pm

I agree Macker we don't want to see any ACC crowds here. Talk during the intermission when the volume comes down. During the game we want our guys to feed off the atmosphere.

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Thu Jan 29, 2015 1:13 pm

The biggest problem with the volume is the poor quality of the sound.  I agree the place does not need to be quiet but ear splitting levels are not necessary either.

Thinking about the quietness of the crowd and then thinking back to the years at the Civic I wonder if today's fan is just different in their involvement in the game.

I actually agree that the organ music or a guy with a trumpet might do a better job of getting the crowd going than the guy with the microphone.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2