Backup Goalie Question?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Backup Goalie Question?

Post by darmitage on Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:54 pm

I'm not a regular poster anymore like I was 5 years ago or so but I do read all posts but something no one has posted about that's shocks me but what happens if Ken Appleby was to get injured when the playoffs roll around I hope no one expects Jeremy Brodeur or Jason DaSilva to carry Oshawa to the Memorial Cup if this was to happen which could, a good experienced backup goalie would have been # 1 priority at trade deadline if Appleby gets injured we are in serious trouble at playoff time bad mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!this is my opinion
darmitage

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Backup Goalie Question?

Post by LX on Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:57 pm

Even if we had got a veteran backup, he'd be no appleby. If he goes down we're are/would be in trouble no matter what. brodeur has been playing 100% better than when he first started. Brodeur should be getting a few more starts down the stretch since we got first locked up. But we do need to clinch first overall for home ice

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kvj on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:04 am

Anybody know why Kenny didnt play yesterday, wasn't announced as not dressed and wasn't even on the game sheet? I heard rumours that he was suspended indefinately; probably because he wasnt happy being pulled in Saturdays game against Kingston. Or I also heard he was sick. But that wouldn't explain his omission from game sheet and being scratched.

kvj

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2014-11-26

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:39 am

kvj wrote:Anybody know why Kenny didnt play yesterday, wasn't announced as not dressed and wasn't even on the game sheet? I heard rumours that he was suspended indefinately; probably because he wasnt happy being pulled in Saturdays game against Kingston.  Or I also heard he was sick. But that wouldn't explain his omission from game sheet and being scratched.

You are correct in your rumors.........
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock on Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:49 am

darmitage wrote:I'm not a regular poster anymore like I was 5 years ago or so but I do read all posts  but something no one has posted about that's shocks me but what happens if Ken Appleby was to get injured when the playoffs roll around I hope no one expects Jeremy Brodeur or Jason DaSilva to carry Oshawa to the Memorial Cup if this was to happen which could, a good experienced backup goalie would have been # 1  priority at trade deadline if Appleby gets injured we are in serious trouble at playoff time bad mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!this is my opinion

You are correct, we maybe in a pickle if our #1 goalie went down. However, every other team is in the same boat with goaltending. So should we have gone out & gotten a proven back-up goalie? maybe........but they decide to add scoring / defense / size / and experience instead.

Have a look at the Erie Otters.......we are much more ready for tight playoff hockey then they are.......I would say their #1 goalie is not having the same year as ours. Appleby is the #1 goilie in the ohl today & Erie's is in #7th.
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kvj on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:35 am

I am correct meaining what? He is suspended or sick?

kvj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by darmitage on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:49 am

gensrock wrote:
darmitage wrote:I'm not a regular poster anymore like I was 5 years ago or so but I do read all posts  but something no one has posted about that's shocks me but what happens if Ken Appleby was to get injured when the playoffs roll around I hope no one expects Jeremy Brodeur or Jason DaSilva to carry Oshawa to the Memorial Cup if this was to happen which could, a good experienced backup goalie would have been # 1  priority at trade deadline if Appleby gets injured we are in serious trouble at playoff time bad mistake!!!!!!!!!!!!this is my opinion

You are correct, we maybe in a pickle if our #1 goalie went down. However, every other team is in the same boat with goaltending. So should we have gone out & gotten a proven back-up goalie? maybe........but they decide to add scoring / defense / size / and experience instead.

Have a look at the Erie Otters.......we are much more ready for tight playoff hockey then they are.......I would say their #1 goalie is not having the same year as ours. Appleby is the #1 goilie in the ohl today & Erie's is in #7th.

yes a experienced backup goalie and defence should have been top priorty at trade deadline but Roger Hunt didn,t we didn,t need forwards we were #1 in Canada and the OHL before trade deadline and lots of heart in my opinion I liked this team before the trades and we played with heart we have had more losses since the trade!
darmitage

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:10 pm

kvj wrote:Anybody know why Kenny didnt play yesterday, wasn't announced as not dressed and wasn't even on the game sheet? I heard rumours that he was suspended indefinately; probably because he wasnt happy being pulled in Saturdays game against Kingston.  Or I also heard he was sick. But that wouldn't explain his omission from game sheet and being scratched.

From the post interview that DJ gave he said Kenny is sick and more than likely will be in net next weekend if feeling better.
Don't read into anything
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kvj on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:13 pm

Still makes you wonder why he wasnt announced as not being dressed for last night's game against the 67's or left off the game sheet. And why would somebody at the game start a rumor that he was indefinately suspended?

kvj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LX on Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:27 pm

A just heard a rumor. Someone is starting some rumors. Lol

LX

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2011-03-08

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder on Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:11 pm

kvj wrote:Still makes you wonder why he wasnt announced as not being dressed for last night's game against the 67's or left off the game sheet. And why would somebody at the game start a rumor that he was indefinately suspended?

This is the same announcer that welcomed everyone to watch the Generals take on the visiting Kingston Frontenacs yesterday.....the same staff that can't get a microphone right to hear the kids sing our national anthem. People love to start rumours....he has the flu and it is running through the team. You could tell he wasn't right. Brodeur probably should have started that game. He needs starts and I thought he played well yesterday made some big saves when he had to and that's all you can ask in a tender.

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Registration date : 2011-10-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens on Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:45 pm

The flu , that explains a lot the team seems a little tired looking

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats on Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:23 am

The announcer simply announces the scratches given to him by the off-ice officials who are given the info from the coaches. He doesn't make them up. In my experience, whenever they were incorrect, it was because there was a last-minute change that happened after he was given the info or because he was simply given the wrong information. It wouldn't be his fault if the info was wrong on who is dressed and who is not unless he simply read it wrong which is unlikely.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder on Tue Feb 24, 2015 10:53 am

Yes beats. I get it that he reads it and doesn't make it up. It's like Ron Burgandy. If you put it in the page he will read it. It was just funny that he announced Kingston when we were playing Ottawa. As well I was just pointing out how the staff cannot get the sound right with those mics at ice level. This has been going on for weeks and you'd think they would have someone in to fix it. I guess its like everything else in this rink. Shitty video board shitty sound system. Nice rink. Too bad they can't get it right.

nerfherder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed on Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:10 am

hockeybeats wrote:The announcer simply announces the scratches given to him by the off-ice officials who are given the info from the coaches. He doesn't make them up. In my experience, whenever they were incorrect, it was because there was a last-minute change that happened after he was given the info or because he was simply given the wrong information. It wouldn't be his fault if the info was wrong on who is dressed and who is not unless he simply read it wrong which is unlikely.

So who do you blame for the announcer's mention of Kingston when we were playing Ottawa Sunday Laughing
steamed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats on Tue Feb 24, 2015 4:03 pm

nerfherder wrote:Yes beats. I get it that he reads it and doesn't make it up. It's like Ron Burgandy. If you put it in the page he will read it. It was just funny that he announced Kingston when we were playing Ottawa. As well I was just pointing out how the staff cannot get the sound right with those mics at ice level. This has been going on for weeks and you'd think they would have someone in to fix it. I guess its like everything else in this rink. Shitty video board shitty sound system. Nice rink. Too bad they can't get it right.

Ron Burgundy was in the back of my mind as a funny example and that would be a better analogy for the Kingston mistake. Even if Kingston was in the script because someone forgot to change it, he should've caught that but missed it (or someone should not have put that in the script in the first place, blame whoever you like but someone should have caught it). With the scratches, it's a little different - the sound room is on the upper level of the arena. The media room is at ice level. The announcer needs to make his way downstairs to get the game info and then be back upstairs to read the initial announcements/welcome to the game, etc. at least 10 minutes before puckdrop, if not more. In the old days, the announcer wouldn't have to be back up there until 2-3 minutes before puckdrop because there was a lot less to read. Sometimes in that eight minutes, it changes and there's no way he'd be able to go back down to get that info ... perhaps someone should text him these last-minute changes or errors in the info he received? Maybe but if he doesn't receive the info, he can't communicate it.

I see these two errors very differently as with the scratches, there's really no way from the announcer's standpoint that he could possibly get it right (whereas saying Kingston is just a quick double-check and should be right). Yes, I'm probably more sympathetic as someone who has been there. I've now worked games for the Toronto/Mississauga St. Michael's Majors, the Oshawa Generals and I've worked a few in a backup role for the Barrie Colts since I stopped working for the Gens doing both audio and video and I would say the pace has intensified quite dramatically from the first game I worked in 1999. At the same time as the complexity increases, there isn't a huge increase in the number of people doing these jobs (I was doing audio and video in Barrie and that was just an insane pace, I would even venture as far as saying impossible). These mistakes don't only happen in Oshawa. I was at a Raptors game where while honouring a soldier on Armed Forces night, the word "Captain" was spelled incorrectly on the video board. The faster the pace, the more likely a mistake will be made.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kvj on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:33 pm

Anybody heard if Kenny is playing goal tonite?

kvj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:41 pm

kvj wrote:Anybody heard if Kenny is playing goal tonite?

I will be surprised if he plays this weekend.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kvj on Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Is he still sick?

kvj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:15 pm

He is resting this weekend. Good to get Brodeur more starts and hopefully build confidence

nerfherder

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kvj on Fri Feb 27, 2015 2:28 pm

needs to play stay sharp. Let Jeremy play tomorrow in Belleville...

kvj

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:01 am

Appleby is still sick, he's likely out all weekend. With the Gens clinching the East he's more then likely not seeing action this weekend, but it was said that he could likely play Sunday if it was a do or die game.

Dal Colle also is struggling with the flu bug, although I was told it could be strep throat.

Also the word Mono was dropped this evening, I won't start rumors but if you don't see Dal Colle soon use your own assumptions.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

View user profile http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed on Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:45 pm

Dal Colle could as well have strep throat but was told from a bilet that Appleby has strep throat.
steamed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 on Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:45 pm

That confirms what I heard in the media room yesterday prior to the game.

Dal Colle is unconfirmed on Strep Throat but its looking more an more likely that, that is the case.

In a more positive light, I think Brodeur has come a long way since the start of the season. He seems to be challenging shooters more, adjusting to the speed of the game, and using his quick reflexes to his advantage. He still tends to get beat up high a lot, but as he improves his angels and continues to challenge shooters that should improve.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

View user profile http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top