Playoff Attendance

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Playoff Attendance

Post by darmitage on Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:50 pm

Has anyone noticed attendance is down? attendance has not even been close to 6000 since March 27th the problem is called quit jacking up the price every round and also same day ticket price increase is foolish too the prices are way too much sellouts all year till playoffs figure it out and I have noticed this every year in the playoffs only since General Motors Centre has been built but this is only my opinion
darmitage

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-01-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Playoff Attendance

Post by gensrock on Sat Apr 18, 2015 1:14 pm

Yes, attendance is down, considering the product on the ice is top notch!. first, during the regular season the team offers several discounted tix to various groups & schools, hence a fuller building during the year. Cost is about average with the other teams. the owner needs to make money at some point as this is a business
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:31 pm

I believe playoffs were always a little more, even at the Civic, unless you held season's tickets and there were different deals with those. You are right about putting people in seats at a group rate during the season.Anyone else remember the cost pre 2006 at the Civic?

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:47 pm

I can't speak for the time at the Civic but attendance has been lower in the playoffs every season @ the GMC and this is not an Oshawa thing, it happens all across the OHL. Some season ticket holders don't pick up their tickets, some corporate sponsors drop off when the playoffs start, there are very few groups because the schedule doesn't allow enough notice to really plan a group outing, etc.

The price going up each round might have a slight impact but this is done pretty much everywhere and I think the lack of groups is a much more significance than the ticket price going up a couple of bucks.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by darmitage on Sat Apr 18, 2015 5:07 pm

1st and 2nd rounds price went up $2.00 and this round price went up $4.00 I really think this is too much especially with so much unemployment and also back at Civic every round price went up $1.00 but maybe this is coming from the OHL I'm happy for people that can,t afford the games they at least have Rogers TV and plus in a lot of ways Rogers TV is better anyway, some are saying Rogers TV is the reason for poor attendance
darmitage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by runner on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:07 pm

I dont think you can compare regular season to playoff attendance is kind of like comparing apples and oranges. The Generals, like all franchises, offer incentives and group rates during the regular season. Groups know well in advance when games are and can sell blocks of tickets. That isnt possible as playoff dates are done round by round so there is a drop off there.

I took a quick look at Gens playoff attendance records on the OHL website. If you go the schedules you can find game sheets of every OHL game for past 20 years (if youre interested).

I just took quick look at couple of playoff games for last 10+ years

Last year vs. Ptbo 5820 & NB 5736
2012/13 vs Barrie 4676
2011/12 missed playoffs
2010/11 4480
2009/10 missed
2008/09 missed
2007/08 vs. Niagara 5865 & vs Belleville 5585
06/07 vs Belleville 5337
then missed three seasons before that
games sheets from the Aud are there. few games i looked at were clearly sell outs or close to it BUT still only 3600-3859.

So even though the GMC isnt full its still 1500 or so more than Aud was

runner

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2007-05-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by darmitage on Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:14 pm

I just checked Soo Greyhound prices and they are one flat price 25.99 for round 3
darmitage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock on Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:39 pm

darmitage wrote:I just checked Soo Greyhound prices and they are one flat price 25.99 for round 3

yes this is true but only for walk up fans

for Gens STH its the same price as regular season which is another bonus as SSM STH are now paying $22.60 a game & $24.86 if the get to the final round

gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by darmitage on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:42 am

gensrock wrote:
darmitage wrote:I just checked Soo Greyhound prices and they are one flat price 25.99 for round 3

yes this is true but only for walk up fans

for Gens STH its the same price as regular season which is another bonus as SSM STH are now paying $22.60 a game & $24.86 if the get to the final round

also $25.00 in North Bay for 3rd round and are bowl seats go for $28.00 so people there is your answer GMC is really out for the bucks I guess most people in here it won,t affect because being season ticket holders!
darmitage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan on Tue Apr 21, 2015 2:52 pm

darmitage wrote:

also $25.00 in North Bay for 3rd round and are bowl seats go for $28.00 so people there is your answer GMC is really out for the bucks I guess most people in here it won,t affect because being season ticket holders!

Not sure it is GMC that sets the price. I think the Gens benefit as well. GMC does need to be out for $ to reduce or eliminate their deficit which is now paid by the taxpayers of Oshawa. It is still good value.

The lack of a daily newspaper still hurts the Gens with playoff attendance. My guess is the numbers will improve with North Bay but game 5 and 7 are tougher sells because tickets sales do not start until the game is needed.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top