Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GMC Event Schedule

+3
GENNY
steamed
archer_gens
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

GMC Event Schedule Empty GMC Event Schedule

Post by archer_gens Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:49 pm

The Marlies arecoming back to town.

4 More events to be announced July 7th
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

GMC Event Schedule Empty Re: GMC Event Schedule

Post by steamed Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:58 pm

And hopefully one of the announcement on July 7th is KISS will
play
GMC Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:54 pm

I'm with steamed. I took a pass on my marlies tickets.
GENNY
GENNY

Number of posts : 609
Seat Section : 103
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:32 pm

how much are they? i might go depending on cost.... hopefully Mitchell will be there
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:46 pm

$15:00 and $ 55:00 dollars for 4 tickets

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:48 pm

$21 for premium.
GENNY
GENNY

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Jun 28, 2009 12:39 pm

They'd have decent crowds if that was always the price. What does the top ticket go for at Ricoh now, like $40 or something?

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:56 pm

hockeybeats wrote:They'd have decent crowds if that was always the price. What does the top ticket go for at Ricoh now, like $40 or something?
They would have decent crowds if they were in another city. People pay up to $1000 and beyond to see the leafs. Why would $40 be an obstacle? They had no problem selling tickets in St. John's.
GENNY
GENNY

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Jun 28, 2009 4:57 pm

GENNY wrote: People pay up to $1000 and beyond to see the leafs. Why would $40 be an obstacle? They had no problem selling tickets in St. John's.

Because in Hamilton tickets are $25. Say what you want about Torontonians but they aren't stupid enough to pay $40 for a product they can see down the street for $25.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Sun Jun 28, 2009 8:15 pm

.................stupid would be spending an extra $20 in gas just to save $15.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:12 pm

Firstly, it isn't $20 in gas to get from Toronto to Hamilton unless perhaps you're driving a Hummer. Secondly, it's about market value. I wouldn't pay $40 to watch AHL hockey in the same way that I wouldn't pay $20 at one Cineplex knowing it costs $10 at another.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:01 am

You guys are missing my point alltogether. The price of the ticket is not the issue. The issue is the location of the team.
GENNY
GENNY

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:59 am

The price is an issue. Would Oshawa support the Generals if it was $40/ticket when every other team charges around $18? While the Leafs and other big name pro teams can charge exorbitant ticket prices and fill the place, teams at lower levels cannot charge more than fair market value for the entertainment dollar. I'm not guaranteeing that Toronto would have supported AHL hockey with lower prices. However, the AHL product, partially because of its affiliation with the Leafs and being run by MLSE had an infinite advertising budget to work with. I live in Toronto - most people have never heard of the Majors, Ice Dogs or Battalion. Everybody has heard of the Marlies, way more press coverage. But very few, even diehard hockey fans attended Marlies games - even the few you would find watching junior hockey balked at the idea of paying $40 for AHL hockey.

I'm not guaranteeing that prices consistent with Hamilton would have meant sellouts - but that the massive price was a factor that does not allow a blanket statement like "Toronto won't support AHL hockey". Maybe they won't even at normal pricing - but that remains a hypothetical.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:18 pm

Toronto will not support any hockey team but the leafs regardless of what league they are in.
Teams no longer in Toronto include:
St. Micheal's Majors
Marlboros
Young Rangers
Native Sons
Knob Hill Farms
Neil Mcneil Maroons

I used to watch the Marlboros at Maple Leaf Gardens because Burger King would give tickets away for free.
There is a group currently planning on another NHL team in Toronto. They allready have jerseys made. It'll be interesting to see how much support they get.
GENNY
GENNY

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:19 pm

wow why don't u just buy tickets for 10-18$ down at ricoh

why do u have to sit in the best seats

i agree its the location of the team

why they didn't refurbish and put them in the gardens is beyond me.... i know st mikes would have played there to.... could have made it a junior hockey rink of sorts... and tourists would pay $$$$ to go watch hockey at the gardens

but instead we can just let the rink rot lol
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:34 pm

The St. Mike's Majors had crowds of 2500+ when they played at Maple Leaf Gardens which is a long forgotten fact. This was before they became contenders. In their final season at MLG, they averaged 2607 which was more than Brampton, Owen Sound, North Bay and Windsor. It was also only 200 fans less than Oshawa was getting at the Civic. In fact, in the previous year (1998-99), the Majors average attendance was actually higher than the Generals!

Toronto 2666
Oshawa 2591

What happened after 2000? The Majors became a contender just as they were kicked out of MLG which was being shut down. They played the following few seasons at St. Mike's Arena - you can't adequately say the Majors "couldn't draw" in that arena because it's not an OHL facility - it's a high school rink. Had a General Motors Centre type facility been built in Toronto as the Majors were becoming a contender in 2000-01 when they had their run of four straight conference final appearances, there's no telling how the attendance would have grown (or not grown). That is a hypothetical discussion. No arena was forthcoming and alas, junior hockey in Toronto died.

It is not a crazy leap in judgment to think that a sub. 500 recent expansion team that averaged 2600 could make an attendance leap to 3000 or even 4000+ when they became contenders.

I'm not denying the poor attendance of the Majors and Marlies. What I am saying is that it's oversimplistic to say "Toronto won't support" any particular product. What you can say is that Toronto has had poorly run junior and minor pro franchises that did not succeed. Poorly run for the Majors in not succeeding in getting a suitable arena and poorly run by the Marlies in overestimating the appetite for minor pro linked with the Leafs thinking that people would pay $40-$50 (the initial price). The $18 tickets came three years later after the team had cemented a reputation as an overpriced product that nobody wants to watch.

The "Toronto won't" argument was also made about soccer when TFC came in. What's required for any team to succeed is effective ownership, effective advertising, effective pricing and an attractive arena/stadium. Given the right conditions, junior hockey can certainly thrive in TO. Just because it didn't happen before, it doesn't mean that it never can. The Ottawa 67s were left for dead when the Sens came in but they became one of the marquee franchises in the CHL because of what Jeff Hunt did.

As for why MLG was not refurbished is because MLSE does not want competition for concerts and other events so they refuse to do that.

Source for attendance info: http://www.mib.org/~lennier/hockey/att.cgi

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:45 pm

Wow. 2500+ @ Maple Leaf Gardens. That's about 15,000 empty seats. The Manitoba Moose charge about the same prices as Toronto and their facility seats over 15,000. It's hard to find an empty seat at one of their games. I also forgot to mention the defunct Roadrunners.

Here's something cool. The Bulldogs and the Marlies are going to Scotland in September.
http://www.thespec.com/article/581319
GENNY
GENNY

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:00 pm

Not a fair comparison. The Manitoba Moose are effectively a replacement team for the Jets and are the big league team in town. It's a pretty unique situation. The ticket prices are to cover the cost of what is a spectacular new arena. Even if successful, you couldn't expect the Majors to have filled Maple Leaf Gardens. A successful junior hockey team is 4000-5000 today and was 3000-4000 in the 90's.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:16 pm

Sorry beats. It wasn't my intention to compare the Majors with the Moose but I understand how you interpreted it that way. I need to be more careful with my punctuation.
I was trying to compare the Moose with the Marlies. Obviously the Moose replaced the Jets. I've seen many games at the old Winnipeg arena and I was sad (like I was the only one) to see them go.
Therefore; lets compare Toronto to Winnipeg. If the leafs ever leave Toronto (like that'll ever happen) then by all means Toronto will support another hockey team.

Anyways; you are very much appreciated at the GMC and I hope you keep up the good work for many years to come. I'm tiring of this dicussion Sleep . Reply if you wish but I'm putting this subject to bed. See you at the end of August cheers .
GENNY
GENNY

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:47 pm

Being June, I have a lot more time on my hands, lol ... and I did mean not a fair comparison with either the Majors or the Marlies. Winnipeg will always be arguably the best AHL market because of the unique situation with the Jets leaving.

I'm just always inclined to give the benefit of the doubt and find other reasons than "well, it's Toronto" for why it hasn't worked for both the Majors and the Marlies.

See you in August.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:09 am

Confirmed KISS will be playing the GMC.

Now fasten your seat belts kids and just wait and see what the God Of Thunder himself Mr Gene $immon$ wants you to pay for a KISS ticket. Rolling Eyes

No thanks.

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:11 pm

For those of us in the "yes please" category, any word on when this will be?

tx
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:08 pm

A date will be announced in August. I hope I get first dibs on my seat. I sat there for INXS and it was amazing.
GENNY
GENNY

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:35 pm

Awesome!!!!
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:03 am

no thx i'll pass on kiss i like them but not paying alot of money to go see them live.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next