Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

hockey boards .com predictions - top east 4

Go down

hockey boards .com predictions - top east 4 Empty hockey boards .com predictions - top east 4

Post by Gens Camper Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:05 pm

1. Barrie Colts
Make no mistake; the Barrie Colts will be a team to be reckoned with this season. Last year this team finished near the bottom of the league in goals scored. This year, they should be near the top. The Colts could very well have the deepest group of forwards in the entire OHL, with only the Windsor Spitfires in the same class. They have 9 guys with 20 goal potential and can roll three legitimate scoring lines. Of particular interest are the additions of Luke Pither and Euro Import Alex Burmistrov. These two are likely to be the first and second line centers around a collection of skilled and tough wingers. The Colts could still use a solid right handed shot and thus the rumours of Bryan Cameron heading to Barrie. If Cameron joins this line-up, it could make them even more dangerous. Defensively, this team will be lead by veteran Ryan Gottschalk and second year offensive defenceman Ryan O’Connor. The team recently added Rangers Import cast off Simon Gronvaldt in hopes of increasing the amount of offense coming from the back end. All truth be told, the team could still use some help defensively and I wouldn’t be surprised to see them add another quality piece. In goal, the team dealt Michael Hutchinson to London, deciding to go with Peter Di Salvo instead. Di Salvo is a young goaltender with room for improvement and he should be able to cement himself as a legitimate number one in this league. Watch out for Dalton McGrath to steal some time from Di Salvo, as he was tremendous in Junior A last season. With the talent this team has offensively and Di Salvo in net, I just can’t see them finishing outside the top 4 of the Conference.

2. Peterborough Petes
Who wins the East Division? That is a question that I see 5 answers to. I think any team in that Division could take steps forward to win the Division and subsequently second in the Conference. Why Peterborough? I think they underachieved last season and had a better team on paper than they showed. The season’s success is definitely dependent on the goaltending of Jason Missiaen. The towering Habs draft pick has been an enigma thus far in his OHL career. Dazzling one night, a sieve the next. I think this is the year he figures it out, especially in front of the best defence he’s played behind. Barron Smith, Jeff Braithwaite, and Adam Sedlak make up three quarters of this improving blueline. The top 4 will be lead by the vastly underrated Jamie Doornbosch who should begin to make a name for himself, as long as he can continue to improve defensively. At forward, the team has the chance to roll three solid lines, mixing leadership from Zach Kassian, Pat Daley, and Brett Theberge, with the young vigor of the likes of Ryan Spooner, David Quesnele, Euro Jiri Sekac, and first rounder Matt Puempel. With the Division so wide open, I like Peterborough’s chances because I feel that they have the deepest overall roster of anyone in the division and the largest potential for their youngsters to breakout.

3. Mississauga St. Michael’s Majors
Choosing a winner in the East Division was very tough for me. I think that Barrie, Mississauga, and Sudbury all have a chance at taking it. Mississauga is an interesting team. At forward, the leadership they had last year is gone in Jesse Messier, Kaspers Daugavins, Jared Gomes and likely Michael Pelech. In losing so many veterans, it’s hard to believe that the Majors could actually improve. However, they have the youngsters to fill in the gaps. It all starts with a highly motivated Casey Cizikas who’ll be looking to become the offensive leader of this team. The addition of former Sarnia winger Gregg Sutch could also be huge, as the young forward has a ton of potential. The likes of Devante Smith-Pelly, William Wallen, Jordan Mayer, Corey Bureau, and Riley Brace should also improve and make this team a highly energetic juggernaut. If Pelech returns, it would make them that much better. Defensively, this team could be one of the best in the East, led by possible OHL defender of the year Cameron Gaunce. The OHL All Star will return for his likely final season in the OHL and should continue to be a dominant two way force on the blueline. He’s joined by underrated overager Blake Parlett and the likely improving Brett Flemming. If Coyotes draft pick Tim Billingsley can return to the form he had two seasons ago, this top 4 could be outstanding. In goal, the Majors will go with the J.P. Anderson/Chris Carrozzi platoon that worked so well last year. Anderson is a future star in this league and will look to continue the form he showed in the 2009 playoffs. Coach Dave Cameron should be able to return this team back to home ice advantage in the East, as long as the younger players on the roster take their expected steps forward.

4. Sudbury Wolves
I’m a little bit weary of this 2009-10 Sudbury team. Last year, I had high hopes for the Wolves and expected them to be a top 4 team in the Conference. Needless to say, they vastly underachieved. This year, can they meet my expectations? And are my expectations short changing them? Are the Wolves candidates to win the East? They have excellent high talent. Offensively, they’ll roll two lines who could consider themselves among the best top 6 in the East. Keep an eye out for the newly formed first line of John McFarland, Eric O’Dell and Euro Eddy Leitans-Rinke. This line has apparently been outstanding at camp and could be one of the most dangerous in the league. A hard working second line of John Kurtz, Marcus Foligno, and Jared Staal should be able to take some pressure off, as long as Foligno and Staal can take steps forward offensively. I do worry about the depth of their forward group as a hole though, especially with the unexpected departure of Gerome Giudice to Italy and the no-show of highly touted prospect Steven Beyers. Defensively, the Wolves should be much better than last year. Much of that can be attributed to the drafting of Justin Sefton, and the transfer of Euro Stefan Stepanov, both of whom could be stars in this league and a big part of the Sudbury defence for years to come. In goal, overager Andrew Loverock will man the pipes. Loverock isn’t the best goalie in the league, but he keeps his team in games and is what you’d call a ‘gamer.’ Even with the somewhat unexpected departure of coach Mike Foligno, hopefully this pack of Wolves can come together.

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down