Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attendence record set by Gens

+5
jaycro
gensfan 2k2
hockeynightinontario
hockeybeats
archer_gens
9 posters

Go down

Attendence record set by Gens Empty Attendence record set by Gens

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:21 am

The team set a new record last week. The Gens had just under 3100 fans against the wolves and just over that against the 67's.

This is the lowest attendence for a regular season Gens game since the facility opened as well as the second lowest figure.

Clearly this can be attributed to the loss of Tavares and missing the playoffs.

The Team needs to do something to put bums in the seats.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Attendence record set by Gens Empty Re: Attendence record set by Gens

Post by hockeybeats Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:28 am

I thought it was. However, it's not as bad as you make it out to be. This isn't like the Blue Jays where there is a frustrated fan base that is progressively shrinking as the season progresses. The lack of Tavares hype combined with the wearing off of the novelty of the GM Center has contributed to lower crowds - you can't say you didn't expect that. However, this is also the natural progression of the OHL season. The crowds will pick up as the season goes along because there are very few groups before minor hockey season gets into full-swing and many junior hockey fans don't come out until around the time it starts to snow. We know attendance will pick up and how much it picks up is dependent on wins and losses. I wouldn't consider this crisis mode. If they were getting 3100 in January, that would be a far bigger concern.

The Wolves game had the perfect storm - second home game of the season (usually the lowest for most teams) and any fan deciding on one game that weekend would be choosing between the Friday night home opener vs the Petes and game 2 on a Sunday night. Which one would you pick? Shocked

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:47 am

wasn't trying to say it was a crisis, but you'd think that knowing there will be lower crowds they could try something, but i'm not in marketing lol
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:58 am

Thow in an economy where people are unsure about the coming months, and that doesn't help. If we get GM on solid ground, I have to think that'd help as well. Generally, I think crowds are down early this year in a few cities -- I went up to a game in Peterborough a few nights ago and the announced crowd was just over 2,000, low for their standards.

hockeynightinontario

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan 2k2 Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:30 am

3100 is still pretty good. It just looks more empty with more empty seats. At the Civic the Gens had crowds around 2500 but looked good when the civic only held 3500-3800 fans. Its early. Fans always start coming out when we hit November and december. But your right if you have a first place team more interest is generated. This team is rebuilding and they aren't expected to contend for another year or two.

gensfan 2k2

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:03 am

If you think 3100 is bad, check out the K-Rock Centre in Kingston!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Chamoo Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:21 am

With all the GM layoff's over the summer, this was to be expected. GM employees were probably 15-20% of the crowd.

I think they are trying to do stuff to gain attendence. The Camaro contest is all about trying to get people out to the game. They didn't raise season ticket prices (not sure about singles).

You also have to remember, 3100 for the Generals brings in more money then 3100 for the Petes. We supposedly have one of the highest ticket prices in the league.

Chamoo

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:44 pm

I can't figure the Kingston thing out -- the team is improved, they have a high profile coach, a new arena .... yet thousands of empty seats.

Not as bad as Mississauga though..... why does a team with low attendance and another team 5 minutes away play so many games Sunday afternoon, when crowds are traditionally smaller??

hockeynightinontario

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:54 pm

the thing in kgn is that the fans in kingston don't like there owner very much i guess cause he is cheap always goes after vets to trade for instead of younger guys and also most kgn fans didn't renew there season tickets that's probably a reason the seats r empty and plus the arena is in downtown kingston and u have to a ticket fee if u get them online in kgn or at the box office.

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:53 pm

I love it. The lineups at the washroom are smaller and you get served faster at the bar. 3100 at the Civic would be huge. Have faith my friends. We are not in that bad of shape. Very Happy
GENNY
GENNY

Number of posts : 609
Seat Section : 103
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:00 pm

Kingston has university hockey(Queens/RMC), tier 2 (VOYAGEURS) ST>LAWERECE COLLEGE and lots of other attractions. They regularly announced an attendance of 2000 at the Memorial Centre, 1500 of them disguised as empty seats. Dougie and this years team will get them out. I am travelling there myself to see the Gens play That's 3 people, my son, my grandson and me.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:43 pm

hockeynightinontario wrote:I can't figure the Kingston thing out -- the team is improved, they have a high profile coach, a new arena .... yet thousands of empty seats.

Not as bad as Mississauga though..... why does a team with low attendance and another team 5 minutes away play so many games Sunday afternoon, when crowds are traditionally smaller??

Historically when they played at St. Mike's, Sunday afternoons were the "big" crowds of around 900-1200. Any other time, the crowds were small - I'd rather not mention how small but frighteningly small for OHL standards.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:04 am

We do not have the highest ticket prices

The Petes had 2300 last week

3100 in late Sept or early Oct is not bad

would have been 2100 in the civic

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838