Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As the Owner, I would..................

+4
Generalizations
bigE88
gensman
gogensgo
8 posters

Go down

As the Owner, I would.................. Empty As the Owner, I would..................

Post by gogensgo Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:30 pm

You have been placed in the shoes of the Gens owner and have to make a decision. The imaginary scenario you are faced with is as follows: Your team is in dead last in the league with points. Your winning percentage starts with a '3'. You are on a significant slide in results over your last 15 games. You've just lost your most valuable 'asset' without getting anything in return yet (Parnham). There is no 'buzz' around your team and noone talks about them in the league anymore. Your attendance is ok by league standards but could be much better. Your season is 40% over, yet as ridiculous as it sounds, you could jump into 2nd spot in the conference by going on a modest winning streak which would secure you home ice advantage through most of the playoffs that would give you an extra game of revenue on top of additional revenue for being in the playoffs and it is much needed. Fortunately, you are about to start on the weakest part of your schedule that will give you the biggest opportunity to control your own destiny for a positive playoff position.

Do you:

a) You make a coaching/GM change now even if you like your coach because some kind of a change is needed (reasons could include things like trying to spark the team before the weak stretch of the schedule, create some buzz, bring in fresh blood to turn things around, want to show the fans you are commited to winning and will do whatever is necessary, send a message to players, ???, ???)
b) Do nothing and hope the team can take advantage of the weak part of the schedule and a weak division
c) Ask the Coach/GM to pick on job and give up the other so they can focus on just one
d) Do nothing because you can't financially afford to pay the severance costs and the current person is amongst the lowest paid Coach/GM's in the league and you can't or won't pay for one that costs more
e) Do nothing because the ownership is in a state of paralysis because there are two owners and noone is in charge and the owners don't talk

This may be the only time you get to be an owner in this league so have fun while it lasts. Let us know what you would do! Very Happy

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

As the Owner, I would.................. Empty Re: As the Owner, I would..................

Post by gensman Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:06 am

You've got three ' Do Nothings' on that depressing list! Hard to expect different results y doing the same things over and over again! Without skill, talent, or chemistry at the coaching and GM positions you face limited opportunities/possililties for success in this very competitive loop! Discount leadership will almost always produce discount results!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

As the Owner, I would.................. Empty Re: As the Owner, I would..................

Post by bigE88 Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:10 am

This team is heading in the right direction. It has to be the youngest team in the league and they show up to play every night with the exception of a few games. Makiing a coaching change would be stupid. This team plays a nice defensive system and they have all the right pieces in place for a run in two years. Jenner is going to be a stud centre in the mold of Jason Arnott, and Thomas is just like his dad. Add to that Valentine, Hope, Sullentrop, Mcdowell, Lessio and Biggs along with what could be the first overall pick this year and the future looks bright.

I will admit that the ownership needs to be settled once and for all. Seems to be too many wardens running the prison. Too bad we can't get one owner, (like a former #88) to own this team and put some respect back upstairs.
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Mon Nov 23, 2009 1:21 am

I honestly don't think this team should de mired in last place overall this year - and hoping for yet 'another' top picks to come their way! Lots of other teams are in 'restructuring mode!' I think these poor results are fairly clear indication of desperately needed quality leadership and quality development! It's not like we've had tons of it over the past decade or so!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:37 am

gogensgo wrote:
d) Do nothing because you can't financially afford to pay the severance costs and the current person is amongst the lowest paid Coach/GM's in the league and you can't or won't pay for one that costs more
e) Do nothing because the ownership is in a state of paralysis because there are two owners and noone is in charge and the owners don't talk

The owners don't appear to be in any financial stability since neither has the resources to buy out the other. I believe both owners are looking to make some money. The team also appears to be on a low-budget payroll, in attempt to either cut losses, or make a marginal profit. The team probably lost money paying the big salaries to Bob McGill, Randy Ladouceur, Brad Selwood and Trish Campbell, and will not be able to sustain another big signing. I don't anticipate any change in the coach or the general manager until DePiero's contract is up. At that time we will see if DePiero has been able to make a name for himself, and if the finances are stable for the team and the owner(s).

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan 2k2 Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:29 am

This team is rebuilding people! Yes they have lost 11 of 12 but they have been in every game and they are one of the youngest teams in the league. I was more upset a few years ago when we had talent and played below expectations. This team is playing their youth and are in every game.

As an example check the OHL site and go to the 2006/07 season. Then click on Windsor Spitfires. This team was a last place team with 4 16 year olds and a couple good 17 year olds on their team. Their names are Greg Nemisz, Mark Cundari, Eric Wellwood,Adam Henrique.Their 17 year olds included Captain harry Young and Richard Greenup and Josh Bailey. Pretty good players right? Well as you see they were able to draft and make some trades moving forward to complete this core. They drafted taylor hall because they finished pretty bad in standings as well as Ryan Ellis and Jesse Blacker plus acquiring our own Justin Shugg as 91's.

So as you see a young team that was a bottom feeder in this league developed into a Memorial Cup team within 3 years.

This Generals team moving forward has a solid core in Jenner,Sullentrop, McDowell, Hope, (16 year olds) Thomas, Padulo, Bailie (17 year olds) plus Biggs and maybe Lessio next year as 17 year olds. If we are a last place team this year you can add a very high 16 year old next year as well.

This team is playing exciting hockey as a young team. It has been a while since we were getting blown away. I will take the lumps this year at the prospect of a great run in two years.

Last edited by gensfan 2k2 on Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

gensfan 2k2

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:46 am

Biggs & Lessio will never play here

We need to ride out the year

Pick in the top 5

Keep DIPS another yr minimum

I don't know who else could do more - we outplay teams - pucks

are - not going in -

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:49 am

Getting very tired of hearing both Gens fans & Leafs fans say "the effort was there the team didn't quit!!!"

Oh cry me a river and give me a break!

Name me one team in the OHL or the NHL that you can actually watch and say they don't play hard? Every team plays hard!

Gens sit last in the OHL and the Leafs sit last in the NHL.

But don't worry Delusion Nation "the effort is there!"

Welcome to loserville. Rolling Eyes

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:32 pm

Gens Camper wrote:Biggs & Lessio will never play here

Pick in the top 5

are - not going in -

Now were did you hear that Biggs & Lessio will never play here,please confirm your source if you can't it's your opinion they won't play here.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:45 pm

Name me a team of 17-year olds that was able to beat a team of contending 19-year olds.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:06 pm

hockeybeats wrote:Name me a team of 17-year olds that was able to beat a team of contending 19-year olds.

Bingo.

but don't worry, these are the same positive fans who will be as high as a kite in two years when we are competing for the OHL title, saying what a great job Dipiero and his staff are doing.
bigE88
bigE88

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:08 pm

Gens Camper wrote:Biggs & Lessio will never play here

Pick in the top 5

are - not going in -

Lessio will play here, why would Dipiero waste a pick on him ? he doesn't do these trades without first doing background information. Its all about the right education package and playing time. He would have plenty of that only being behind Jenner and Thomas.
bigE88
bigE88

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:17 am

I somehow doubt that the allure of a last place squad will hold much drawing power for either of these 2 dudes!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:25 am

.... keep the current coach / gm in place thereby ensuring the highest possible draft picks .... and then sell them asap to the Hunter brothers in Loondoon for tons of $$$ and thereby pay for your hockey team!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum