Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Magic Numbers in the East

+8
goalie gal
Gens_Fan_22
archer_gens
hockeybeats
gensman
generalsfan
Gens Camper
Gens Fan 112
12 posters

Go down

Magic Numbers in the East Empty Magic Numbers in the East

Post by Gens Fan 112 Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Since I have some time on my hands I thought I would spell out our Gens chances by way of the "magic number" scenario.

Right now the top 4 are home and cooled. Nobody can catch Barrie, Ottawa can still be caught by Kingston but its a scenario that is unlikely. Mississauga is cemented in the 3rd spot and since it doesn't matter to the Gens I won't bother with the scenarios under which Kingston could catch Ottawa and what it could mean for both. What I have provided is the "tragic numbers" for both the Gens and Bulls. I added the Bulls because, believe it or not, there is still a scenario by which the Gens and Bulls could both make the playoffs.................

team Gp Pts E#'s opponents remaining
Brampton 62 61 1,E ---- 4@NIA, 5@MSS, 7vsNIA, 11@BAR, 12vsBAR, 14vsKNG
Petes 63 54 8,3 ---- 4vsOTT, 6vsMSS, 7@OSH, 11vsSUD, 13vsOSH
Sudbury 62 52 10,5 ---- 5vsBELL, 6@NIA, 7@MSS, 11@PETE, 12@KNG, 14@OTT
Niagara 62 51 11,6 ---- 4vsBRA, 6vsSUD, 7@BRA, 11vsMSS, 13vsBELL, 14@MSS
Oshawa 62 49 7 ---- 5@KNG, 6vsKNG, 7vsPETE, 10@BELL, 12@OTT, 13@PETE
Belleville 62 44 n/a ---- 4@BAR, 5@SUD, 7vsBAR, 10vsOSH, 12@MSS, 13@NIA

The "E#'s" are points earned by the each team/not earned by Oshawa that when it goes down to 0, eliminates Oshawa, (the # for the Bulls is after the comma.) For example, a loss to Peterborough (if they played each other tonight) would knock that "8" down to a "4" and all the other numbers on the left down by at least 2.

All is not lost in Gens-land. Sudbury has 5 of their last 6 on the road. Peterborough has played 1 more game. If the Gens win that game in hand they have a little more control over what goes on with 2 more head-to-head vs. the Petes.....................not done yet.

I hear a lot of talk about making the playoffs only to get trounced by Barrie or Mississauga. Maybe that is true but I'd rather see the Gens get in and break someone elses' hearts in doing so. How about a win in Peterborough on the last night to eliminate the Petes?
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Magic Numbers in the East Empty Magic # 'S

Post by Gens Camper Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:50 pm

It appears that we will know more in the next 3 days - Bulls in Barrie - Sudbury Friday

Petes home to 67's tonight- Petes play well at home - may not always win but this is a big game - 4 OF 5 at home

We must get points in all 3 games even if they go to OT - easy way to playoffs

Eastern Conference (points earned or points lost by Oshawa)
Brampton - 1
Peterborough - 8
Sudbury - 11
Niagara - 11

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Magic Numbers in the East Empty Re: Magic Numbers in the East

Post by generalsfan Thu Mar 04, 2010 3:22 pm

Thanks for the work Gens Fan 112 to outline all of that for us. Will be a good post to come back to over the next little while.

As Gens fans, we should all know the tie-breaking procedures very well since we also went down this road last year. Laughing

- Regardless of number of wins, you can't be eliminated from the playoffs if you're tied on points with the team that is 8th. If 8th and 9th were tied on points once the regular season is completed, that's where your sudden death game would come in to decide which team gets 8th.

- For all the other spots (including 7th and 8th tied on points as long as 9th isn't tied too), the first tie-breaker is number of regular season wins. If that doesn't decide anything, next is who got the most points in head-to head match-ups with the team you're tied with. If that doesn't decide anything, then you've got goals for/against.

If a tie-breaker for a playoff spot went as far as head-to-head points with Sudbury or Niagara, the Gens would lose out against Sudbury. It wouldn't solve anything with Niagara since each team has 1 regulation win in the 2 games they played head-to-head.

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:20 pm

The playoff picture is about to get very clear. We will soon see who wants it more. This is usually the time that the work that the coaching staff has done over the season starts to pay didvidends or not. In less than a week we will discover if the Gen's are 'road warriors' ... or 'road kill!'

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:06 pm

As bad as Oshawa has been, Sudbury has lost 15 of their past 19. It may not come down to who is playing better down the stretch but who is playing worse!

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Magic Numbers in the East Empty Sudbury will get in by default

Post by Gens Camper Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:32 am

Brampton with O T loss to Niagara that is now 4 pts up on us is in the playoffs

Sudbury - final home game plays Bulls and are 3 pts up on us

Sudbury plays in Niagara not so good if it goes into O T

The way I see it Niagara and Sudbury will be seeded 6 and 7

Oshawa and Petes will again be 8 th and 9th

The only team we can catch who is 5 points up on us is the PETES - we play them twice last home game this Sunday

then last game of the year in their barn also we have 6 games left they have 4 - BUT our last game up there was not good

I would say we are hands down

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:07 pm

Unfortunately the threat of the 3 point game looms large.

Brampton - no longer part of the equation with their point last night.
Peterborough - lost, now Oshawa has 2 games in hand. magic #'s - 8 for Oshawa, 1 for Belleville.
Niagara - helped themselves with a win last night . #'s 9 for Oshawa, 2 for Belleville
Sudbury - play Belleville at home tonight. #'s - 10 for Oshawa, 2 for Belleville
Oshawa - need to help themselves, Pete & Sud leaving the door open a crack. # to eliminate Belleville - 6
Belleville - very little hope for this year, but could help the Gens.

In the west Guelph has a magic # of 2 to eliminate Owen Sound for the 8th spot.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:11 am

Belleville has been eliminated. Adios, George.

No change in Petes or Dogs #'s (8,9) since the Gens won tonight.

Sudbury's magic # over the Gens is now 8.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:48 pm

I'd be interested in an 8th place tie between the Dogs and the Gens as we would host them in a 1 game playoff.

From there I'd like to see a tie with the Petes even though they would most likely host it.

At least we'd get 1 good playoff series!
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:30 pm

2 straight days the Majors could have helped us and choked on the Petes and then the Wolves..............gee, thanks, guys! Add to that a Dogs win in Brampton.

magic #'s as of Sunday afternoon

Niagara - 5 (57pts)
Petes - 7 (56pts)
Wolves - 7 (56pts
Gens - 53 pts.

Gotta win again as a loss tonight would be near-fatal...........a win and they are 1 pt out with a game in hand and a head-to-head match up in Peterborough.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Mon Mar 08, 2010 12:02 am

The season is over unless we get some help from other teams.
We had our fate in our own hands and blew it big time.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by goalie gal Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:09 am

Chris blew are fate . I don't blame the players for being put in his predicament. I blame the coach and the general manager aas he put this team together and the blame should be put solely on him

Also attention season ticket holder: if you want Depiero gone email Jason Hickman as he is excepting email regarding that status of our current coach. He will be presenting them to ownership on behalf of us season ticket holders. We nedd to voice our opinion so that this change can happen . Let's all see this change happen

Last edited by goalie gal on Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:19 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : adding more to response)

goalie gal

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:25 am

goalie gal wrote:Chris blew are fate . I don't blame the players for being put in his predicament. I blame the coach and the general manager aas he put this team together and the blame should be put solely on him

Also attention season ticket holder: if you want Depiero gone email Jason Hickman as he is excepting email regarding that status of our current coach. He will be presenting them to ownership on behalf of us season ticket holders. We nedd to voice our opinion so that this change can happen . Let's all see this change happen

Are you serious ? If the ownership needs the ticket man to know that it is time for a change in management then I am out... what source do you have on this, I hardly think that this is true. end quote
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by gogeneralsgo Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:27 am

That is BS goalie gal.. Jason would not be involved with this..
Nice try though..I would start with getting rid of some of the players who do not perform for the Gens.. Yes Maybe Depiero needs to go as well.. but not because the fans don't want him.. Next you will want to choose the players in the draft, put the lines together,,,teach the players the systems, etc...

gogeneralsgo

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:40 am

Hey you can always email the organization with your thoughts. Thats probably who i'd email actually would be Jason. That being said is ownership going to listen? probably not.

p.s. Dips did not put this team together.

Has he started shaping it? yes. But he did not build this team.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 am

He would present anything to ownership whether it's ideas for the season ticket holder lounge, the performance of the coaching or even whether the games start at 6pm or 7pm. That's his job.

And I agree with gogensgo, several emails on the same topic can generate discussion but ultimately teams hire people to do jobs and get rid of them if necessary, it's not something that fans would or should decide.

If that were the case, I think the Gens would have a new coach every two weeks.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:21 am

goalie gal wrote:Chris blew are fate . I don't blame the players for being put in his predicament. I blame the coach and the general manager aas he put this team together and the blame should be put solely on him

goalie gal I didn't hear you complain when the Gens won the two games against Kingston Surprised And emailing anyone won't do a thing as if you went to the town hall meeting a month ago Adam Graves answered that ?
it's being evaluated,your not going to see anything happened this late in the season as all 3 owners
has to discuss and interview the canidates and not make not make a change just to make a change,I thing it will be looked at the end of the season prior to the draft.The Gen's played a bad game and now need help from other teams to make the playoffs and one of those teams is Peterbourgh thursday win over Sudbury.
On another note Dips did something that he should of done a long time ago benching Jenner in the 3rd as he took a stupid penatly in the second that cost us a powerplay
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by drifter Mon Mar 08, 2010 2:43 pm

The Gen's played a bad game and now need help from other teams to make the playoffs and one of those teams is Peterbourgh thursday win over Sudbury.
On another note Dips did something that he should of done a long time ago benching Jenner in the 3rd as he took a stupid penatly in the second that cost us a powerplay[/quote]

Steamed, I agree that he needs to push the point home with Jenner. He should have done it a month ago or give him an extra workout or something like that. Taking him and benching him. May have cost us the game. We need all the scoring power right now that we can muster. Sitting him on the bench isn't getting us head. I agree that he needs to be told in some way. But that wasn't the way. To me that was a bad move taking one of your top scorers out of the eqation. If it were a month ago. or even 2 weeks ago. I would have been right there with you.
It's just like benching Clark after a fight. Just trying to spark the team. Basicly saying. You fight you sit. It is sending the wrong message to all players. Take a stupid penalty and benched. I would rather at this see them see it as an extra hour or 2 of extra workout after the game. Or extra running instead of benching. We need all hands on deck right now. In my opinion. Crying or Very sad
drifter
drifter

Number of posts : 272
Seat Section : 115 row 7
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by gogeneralsgo Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:00 pm

drifter - I was happy to see Jenner finally benched. I do think it should have been done months ago.

gogeneralsgo

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by drifter Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:55 pm

gogeneralsgo wrote:drifter - I was happy to see Jenner finally benched. I do think it should have been done months ago.

Agree. It needed to be done. But wrong timing. it should have been done when we could regroup. It is just to late in the season to do it. to much to lose now.(playoff spot)
drifter
drifter

Number of posts : 272
Seat Section : 115 row 7
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:45 pm

That pretty well sums up the coaching situation for the past few years (or more). Making changes or taking action way too late in the picture and probably at the worst possible time. If ya' couldn't pull the trigger all season why in the world do u now try to make a point with a very valuable playoff spot hangin' in the balance? Wayyy too much makin' it up as u go along IMO. And whether Dips (head coach/gm) wants to be accountable or not - this is indeed HIS team. Every single players development/effectiveness and team track record has been his 'singular' responsibility. Had the team been successful during his tenure he would have been given the credit and kudos accordingly!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down