Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This just doesn't sit well with me ??

+12
drifter
gmc 118
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
steamed
mygens
sothern general
gogeneralsgo
Hayes#21
Gens_Fan_22
hockeybeats
gensman
Gens Camper
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

This just doesn't sit well with me ?? Empty This just doesn't sit well with me ??

Post by Gens Camper Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:41 pm

Last year 4 teams didn't make the playoffs - SOO - kINGSTON - kITCHENER - OSHAWA

Well - Soo improved - 42 pts to this year - 71 points

Kingston - improved - 46 points to this yr - 68 points

Kitchener - improved - 57 points to this yr - 84 points

Oshawa - regressed - 58 points to this yr - 49 points

As of today 3 of last years bottom feeders have improved and will make the playoffs BUT we have taken a step backwards

But on the bright side according to these stats we should be much better next yr - sure hope so But the GM/COACH - don't blame him - why not ??

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

This just doesn't sit well with me ?? Empty Re: This just doesn't sit well with me ??

Post by gensman Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:12 pm

For me it is the overall lack of month to month progress combined with those wicked long losing streaks and one sided blowouts.

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

This just doesn't sit well with me ?? Empty Re: This just doesn't sit well with me ??

Post by hockeybeats Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:57 pm

This observation is missing something rather significant:

Those three teams did not have Tavares and Del Zotto for the first half of the season last year or anybody close to that talent level. They were rebuilding from day one last season and doing so with more prospects in the system than Oshawa had so their rebuild has been happening for half a season longer. In the case of Kingston, some say they have been rebuilding for at least a decade but that's a whole other story. All of those teams have also drafted better than Oshawa over the previous two to three seasons.

41 of those 58 points that Oshawa earned were with JT and Del Zotto in the lineup. The Generals earned 17 points in 29 games after the trade. If you extrapolate that over a 68-game season, that pace would give the Generals about 40 points for the season. Even if they lose all of their remaining six games, that's still a 10-point improvement - disappointing but not a regression. It is quite likely that we will see a 20 to 30 point jump, this team should be a #4-#6 team next year and #1-#3 the following season depending on how some of these young players develop and who reports. If we do not see that improvement next year, all the naysayers would be correct.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:39 am

No matter what the excuses are we have not moved forward

I can't imagine where we would be if we didn't trade JT - MDZ

Terrible drafts in 2007 - 2008

The only way we improve as much as you say is to have Lessio

and Biggs in the lineup

I believe you stated earlier in the year we were a lock to make the playoffs

I will add missing the playoffs 4 of the last 6 years is not a GENERALS tradition

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:52 pm

That is the issue with losing. It breeds more losing. Draft picks don't show, bad habits set in, confidence is lost, cash ain't available to invest, & ultimately expectations are lowered. U don't have to look any further that the ACC & The Buds for proof of that nasty reality!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:54 pm

With the 4th worst team in the OHL our attendence is in the Top

go figure

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Easy to figure! The 'Shwa probable has the best, most knowledgable, and loyal fans in the loop! Definately an intense group that deserves a lot better!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:38 pm

I agree with that sentiment. Having worked in Toronto previously where it was a struggle to get 1000 fans into St. Mike's Arena some days, it's been a pretty amazing experience to work in Oshawa. There was discussion here about why dates were not changed while the Canadian Olympic team was playing because there was "nobody" there. The crowds on those days are what you see consistently in Brampton and Mississauga on a good day. I was blown away that there would still be 1500-2000, maybe a bit more, still show up on those days and of course seeing 5000+ when JT was here, Bobby Orr Day and I'm sure there will be more in the future was awesome. There are great fans in Oshawa.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:06 am

Even Jeff Brown says that the Oshawa fans are the best!!!!!!!

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:36 pm

Oshawa does have some of the most loyal fans. This forumn is a testament to our support for this team. We may grumble, moan and lick our wounds, from season to season, but we all really want the same thing. We want another cup. Bottom line.

We may not all agree on how to get to the goal, but we really all have the same desired result when all the grumbling is done.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gogeneralsgo Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:13 pm

Hey - Oshawa fans are the best. The problem is not the fans. It is the quality of the product on the ice. It is going to take a while to dig ourselves out of the Selwood hole that was built for us.
A few years of bad drafting, bad owners, a GM / Coach who had no clue what he was doing(Selwood) and look where we are.

My issue with this year's Generals is not Depiero. He inherited this mess. Yes he could have done some things different, like get rid of some of the pretender players we have out there... (our biggest game of the year(Peterborough) and we have players who looked bored and gave no effort.. We are down 5-0 in a game that we have to win.

All efforts should have been made to bring in players who would work their butts off to win. I do not see that on this team except for Thomas who is a one way player and Hayes who gives everything he has every shift.

I was very disappoited in our effort on Sunday. Players who were glaring in the minus column .. .(-4 -3) and they are on the ice for 90 second shifts... other teams change every 30 seconds.. not our little prima donnas who never come off until they get scored on.

This is my issue with Depiero.. nothing seems to get done about it.

gogeneralsgo

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:36 pm

You are right except no body was interested in any of our under

achievers - Think about it if we are the 3rd worst team in the OHL

WHY would any of the teams above us want these players as an upgrade

Hopefully Adam Graves has a few contacts and took a degree in

talking Biggs and Lessio here - our only hope

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by sothern general Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:20 pm

I'm sorry to give all gens fans this info but Biggs will not be leaving the US Development camp unless someone pays a $50,000 fee. He is locked in for TWO years and if he wants to leave it is $50,000 that is unless they cut him and that is not going to happen. I am sorry to disappoint but I could not let this false hope go on. I hope he comes after the second year we could use him.

sothern general

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-03-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:08 am

So we really wasted that 2nd rd pick last yr - if more so that we knew he was committed to the US before the draft.

Even if he did show in 2 yrs - how old we he be and Windsor would want him anyway.

The OHL really needs to change this rule - to me it's simple- anyone who wants to play in the OHL signs an OHL draft sheet before the draft.

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:35 pm

thanks for the info sotherngens, well thats it , what a major mistake dipiero made here , when your team is in rebuilding mode you cant afford to throw away 2nd round picks , stupid , personally i've had it with dipiero , cant coach , now obvious cant manage .......GET RID OF HIM PLEASE !!!

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Mar 10, 2010 2:40 pm

yes the gens fans are good fans , but dont kid yourself the new building is saving it for the gens organization , its a beauty building , if we were still in the old building attendance would be down to under 2000 per night , based on the entertainment value this team provides !!, no question in my mind and i've been around since 1980

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:16 pm

mygens wrote:thanks for the info sotherngens, well thats it , what a major mistake dipiero made here , when your team is in rebuilding mode you cant afford to throw away 2nd round picks , stupid , personally i've had it with dipiero , cant coach , now obvious cant manage .......GET RID OF HIM PLEASE !!!

We all know you don't like Dip's but your begining to sound like a broken record with this Dip's thing he can't coach he can't GM NOTHING will be done till the end of the season so lets talk about it then, Maybe lets you can start a poll when or if Dips stays or goes Laughing
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by sothern general Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:09 pm

I did not post that information to bash dips. I personnally feel it was a good pick for the future of this team. He obviously had info that someone else was going to pick him up before his next pick in the fourth so he took him in the third. He will be a force in the O when he shows up next summer but signing him now will not guarentee the Generals a place in the OHL finals next year, this team requires more than one player.

sothern general

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:28 pm

Had he not picked him and somebody else did, he would be criticized for not picking him.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Mar 10, 2010 5:43 pm

I don't think anyone has a problem drafting BIGGS - it's where he was drafted - 2nd rd - bottom feeders need players now - that pick could have helped us this year.

Who cares if someone else wanted to draft him - let them waste their pick -

Lessio trade - we gave up another 2nd rd pick - London's - This also let's Niagara get another compenation 1st rd pick plus the second that we gave them. It's great if these 2 were signed to play here. Who won on this deal

NO MORE DRAFT GAMBLES - PLEASE - There are more than a few season ticket holders not renewing

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Mar 10, 2010 6:03 pm

Gens Camper wrote:

NO MORE DRAFT GAMBLES - PLEASE - There are more than a few season ticket holders not renewing

Then they are not true Gen's fans,I've been there for 28 years saw the up's and also saw the downs,and would not even think of not renewing my seasons you know why because I'm happy to say that I'm a Gen's supporter and always will be win or lose. And now if more than a few season ticket holders not renewing I say don't as you are not true fans any way.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:49 pm

At least 40 % est of season ticket holders - are less then 5 yrs
as we increased with JT and the new arena - these are the fans that are frustrated

I have been a season ticket holder and coming to games for over 40 yrs and I do not want to see any more draft gambles in the early rounds and if you do then what you see is what you get.

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by sothern general Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:04 pm

Gens Camper, if you have been around so long how do you not know where the problems are with this team. If it were not for some good trading by Dips this team would have really been awful. Who would have been on this team if He doesnt trade for val, dzeilski, wilson, zador. among others. The cupboard was empty and it will take time to replenish it. If there should be finger pointing it shuold be at the previous administration

sothern general

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:44 pm

"""If it were not for some good trading by Dips this team would have really been awful""""

MY SIDES LOL
ALERT THEY ARE REALLY AWFUL

btw
Bailie pulled after 2 goals /19 shots

Last edited by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 9:45 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : additional info)

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:22 pm

There has only been one constant throughout this ordeal and that has been head coach & gm 'Dips.' And he sure was a big part of the last regime and previous administration - so no easy out there I'm afraid. For whatever reason 'Smellwood' was grooming him as his heir apparent and he was his right hand man. This is DIPS team ...warts and all! He has to be directly accountable for the (lack of) improvement and development with HIS players and the (dismal) record of the team over the past two years! I can't remember a single game where his special coaching skills was the difference in a close or come from behind contest. He has got Jr 'B' written all over him! I would be astonished if the 'trigger' wasn't pulled sooner than later!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum