Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GENSMAN this one' for you....

+9
gensman
GENNY
Generalizations
ogf
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
Gens Camper
Gens Fan 112
hockeybeats
steamed
13 posters

Go down

GENSMAN this one' for you.... Empty GENSMAN this one' for you....

Post by steamed Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:21 am

DePiero gets vote of confidence from Generals

OSHAWA -- Oshawa Generals' general manager and head coach Chris DePiero, shown here at a team orientation camp in June, will remain in charge of the team despite missing the playoffs for a second straight year, owner Rocco Tullio said Monday.

Owner Rocco Tullio defends Oshawa coach, general manager
Mar 16, 2010 - 04:30 AM

By Brian McNair

OSHAWA -- Chris DePiero's job appears to be safe for the near, and perhaps distant, future.

So says Oshawa Generals owner Rocco Tullio, who is exercising patience even in light of his obvious disappointment that his team has missed the Ontario Hockey League playoffs for a second straight season.

DePiero, who's held the dual post of head coach and general manager for two seasons, simply hasn't had enough time to right the ship, says Tullio.

The Generals closed out this season by losing their final four games and 17 of the last 20, missing the playoffs by six points. A year earlier, Oshawa lost eight of the last nine games and missed out by a single point.

But, as Tullio points out, DePiero has headed only one draft, last year's, which yielded centre Boone Jenner with the fourth overall pick and three defencemen who played significant minutes with the team this season.

From the combined three previous drafts, conducted by then-GM Brad Selwood, only five players suited up for the Generals this season, and only one, defenceman Calvin de Haan, would be considered an impact player.

"It's always easy to point the finger at the coach and GM, but I think realistically you have to look at what he's been given to work with," says Tullio.

"To be fair to Chris, he's had the brunt of those drafts to deal with," Tullio continues. "We're confident at the end of the day that if we surround him with good drafts and push the right buttons and try to get those players committed, we can put a winning product on the ice. Believe it or not, we're not that far from having a very, very good team, but this draft is going to be more important than any."

To that end, DePiero and his staff will be watching this week's OHL Cup prospects tournament with great interest, as the pressure will be on to select another impact player with the third overall pick the Generals own in the next draft.

Jenner, despite slowing noticeably down the stretch, proved to be a solid choice last year and has the potential to be the face of the franchise in the coming years.

Christian Thomas, acquired in the deal that sent John Tavares to the London Knights last season, took a huge step forward as well, scoring 41 goals, giving the team two exciting pieces to build around up front.

If the team is able to convince top prospects Lucas Lessio and Tyler Biggs that the OHL is the way to go, rather than the U.S. college route, then the face of the team would change dramatically, both DePiero and Tullio point out.

"Our team could take a different dimension with them in the lineup," says DePiero. "Right now it's a process and we're going to work at it."

The team will also need to address the fact that it allowed a league-worst 299 goals-against this season, a stat that goes beyond the inconsistent goaltending of Michael Zador and Kevin Bailie.

"Certainly this is a results-oriented business, so I'm not foolish enough to think that there's no accountability," says DePiero, who is prepared to speak about his vision of the club in coming meetings with Tullio and partners Pete DeBoer and Adam Graves.

"I'm disappointed in myself right now, not being able to squeeze enough out of this group to get them to the playoffs, but having said that, I'm always confident in my ability to do the job," says DePiero. "There's a good nucleus here going forward that I think can be pretty positive."

Tullio adds that the new ownership structure has only been in place since January, leaving more cause for patience.

"Our vote of confidence is with Chris and moving forward the things we're going to implement and put into place will only be complimentary to what this man is capable of," he says. "We didn't have a lot of time this year to do it, and unfortunately it showed up in the end product on the ice. Moving forward, we have lots of time now to plan properly and put the right systems in place and do what we need to do to make sure next year there are no excuses."

Means the hole summer of your negative posts about Dip's Laughing
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

GENSMAN this one' for you.... Empty Re: GENSMAN this one' for you....

Post by hockeybeats Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:05 am

While it's okay to disagree with anybody, that is after all what a hockey forum is for, I hope at the very least those that were so certain of an imminent change will now in future be cognizant of the fact that they are posting their OPINION and not identify something as a fact simply because a few people have started about 14 threads saying the same thing several times. You can't make something true by repetition. There's no such thing as a done deal unless you have some sort of reliable source that tells you that.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:46 am

Im grateful to Tullio that he has gone public with this decision now.
Tullio is a successful businessman and this is his money that he is playing with.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

GENSMAN this one' for you.... Empty Gens vote of confidence

Post by Gens Camper Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:11 am

Like most GENS fans all we want is a winner - a plan moving forward - I was at the season ticket holder meeting and Rocco - Adam - Peter all agreed that Chris was a good friend of theirs BUT would be evaluated at years end. I will agree that we did not have a very talented group and as fans we want to see systems - breakout patterns that we didn't always see so it must be the group that wasn't talented enough to carry this out. We all knew it would be tough with 3 16 yr olds on Def. At times I felt even if we had Peter D - himself here he may not fare any better. Our drafts are the key - look at Kitchener - the year we draft Baille - Kitchener drafted after us and pick Skinner - 92 pts this year

Let's hope the ownership group have the right plan as we need a face to our team - tired of losing and the way we are losing

Maybe this group has some good news coming because they will need it to lure back the lost interest in the community - die hard fans will be true - I mean the casual fans

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:39 am

Shocked NO
Dissapointed YES
I am convinced that if a high profile succesful winning coach/gm makes himself available between now and the start of next season , Its adios DIPS

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:06 pm

Sometimes a vote of confidence is not GOOD

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:11 pm

This really doesn't surprise me at all. I would not be surprised (notice I didn't say will, I said would not be surprised) if Peter Deboer is the next coach of the Gens given he is part owner and loves to coach. Given Peter is still coaching in the NHL, he is not available. I hope Peter has a long career in the NHL and will not be available for years to come, but it wouldn't surprise me if that was the current plan. It makes sense from both a financial and credentials point of view.

As for Dips, I hope he can get alot more out of the players than he has in the past. I hope he has some 'sit downs' with Deboer over the summer and gets some pointers on systems et al. Dips is not a stupid man, I am sure this summer will be filled with more hockey and strategies than any previous summer.

Congrats Dips, and Good Luck, please bring this team back to respectability.

Cheers!!

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:10 pm

I'm not surprised either at this decision. I agree that DePiero should be given another draft to build the team as a GM. His coaching still leaves alot to be desired.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:21 pm

Gens Fan 112 wrote:Im grateful to Tullio that he has gone public with this decision now.
Tullio is a successful businessman and this is his money that he is playing with.
Exactly! Us season ticket holders knew this long before now. It is now disclosed to the public.
GENNY
GENNY

Number of posts : 609
Seat Section : 103
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:06 pm

Wow ... a thread of my very own! Who wudda thunk?
Loyalty is an important & wonderful quality - providing it is not blind. Let's hope this is not another 'financially driven non-move.' I was shocked to see 'Dips' handed the 'keys to the joint' in the first place - but team finances at that time was (and still may be) a major issue! He was obviously unqualified/inexperienced for the job(s).
I have yet to see what 'Dips' has brought to the table (either as coach or gm) in this his 5th year! I have a real tough time with the, 'I don't have good players' & 'it is ALL Selwood's fault' & ' disappointment to squeeze out better performance' excuses to justify 10+ game losing skids to other 'soft' clubs. Afterall it is a coaches primary function to improve draft picks irrespective of who picked them!. I have an issue with this 'casting off of the dead wood' & obvious lack of overall individual development and improvement of ALL picks. Great coaches make players greater! Poor coaches try to 'squeeze out' effort from his players! Even moreso is my concern about the lack of chemistry is between coach and his players. That one is a biggie! He sure wouldn't be my first choice in a league that is so 'ultra competitive' with formidable top franchises who leave very little to chance.
Usually the tough moves are the best moves - but what do I know?

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:39 pm

Gensman , you and I must go to the same optician . Well said

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:30 pm

If that's your opinion, that's fine but you continuously dwell on non-facts like it being his FIFTH year to improve as a coach or GM. Selwood was fired in the spring of 2008. When you mention the losing streaks, that is evidence to support your case. If you argue that the special teams have been weak or that you disagree with specific coaching decisions, that's what this forum is all about. However, it's the continued repeating of either made up or misconstrued facts that just drives me crazy. There is virtually no continuity when an assistant coach becomes head coach regardless of the intended role of the assistant coach unless it is quite obvious that the GM and ownership want to continue the philosophy of the outgoing head coach (For example, when a head coach retires after a successful career). I think it's safe to say that there was no desire whatsoever to continue with what Selwood was doing and thus "day one" was near the end of the season in 2008. The fact that he was kept on with Selwood fired implies that they do not share the same philosophy otherwise they would have both been gone at the same time. If he was Selwood's hand-picked successor and running the same show, why in the heck would they fire one and promote the other when they are doing the same thing? That would be stupidity at its highest level.

If you want to say that you feel two years is enough time, I disagree but you are of course entitled to express that opinion but saying he had five years is utter nonsense. Stick to the facts. He has had ONE draft as GM and had no say on player personnel until he was GM - that's a fact. He has been coaching since the spring of 2008 and they have failed to make the playoffs in both his full seasons as coach - once in a last-ditch effort with JT & the gang who were traded at the deadline and once with a rebuilding roster for the full season. Those are facts.

If you're going to elaborate on those facts, go right ahead. Just quit pretending that being an assistant coach in 2007 is somehow remotely connected with being a GM or head coach in 2010.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by drifter Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:13 pm

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 wrote:Shocked NO
Dissapointed YES
I am convinced that if a high profile succesful winning coach/gm makes himself available between now and the start of next season , Its adios DIPS

I have to agree Bobby. I am disappointed in this decision. I guess we all live with Dips one more season at least. Things he has to work on.

#1 Defense

#2 Goal Tending

#3 Power Play

#4 Offense.

I realize this is like the whole game. But boy I hope he can start and get this across to the lads. Dips. good luck in trying to right this ship. Learn to give a little praise to the fellas when they do a good job. something I think is lacking as well. Take a leaf out of Camerons book and get into the game.Don't just stand there with your arms crossed. Let them know if you want something done on the bench. But interact with the players. You might just get a little surprise how they react. Ive had my rant. But still disappointed.
drifter
drifter

Number of posts : 272
Seat Section : 115 row 7
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:35 pm

Indeed it is my opinion. Afterall it is my thread!
Your (unsupported) opinion is that you have seen something (?) in Dips over the past 4 years (in whatever capacity) that I haven't. Fair enough. He definately is NOT new tho! If he has had NO or LIMITED input to this point (which I don't) it sure ain't a great sign! You sure don't think Dips is in over his head - and I think that he has just been thrown a life preserver.
I cud care less what his title has been in the past 5 days, or 5 months, or 5 years. I cud care less WHO drafted who, why, or when! I cud care less about 'coaching philosophy' (whatever that is) or successorship (something that SHOULD be an extension of a successful coaching regime).
What is interesting to me is how these picks are developed and especially as it applies team cohesion - PARTICULARILY - those picks that were drafted by someone else! It is a very good gauge and telling sign IMO. I don't buy the, 'It ain't me 'cause I didn't pick these 'rotten' players' rationale. If you really want to get technical 2 of Dips key picks didn't even show. How are we really gonna know what kind of coach Dips is this year if they don't show again this year? Maybe last years picks don't count (again)?
One has to wonder about ownership's (true) committment since no terms of contract (extension) have been announced. Perhaps Dips is on more of a stay of execution pending short term results?

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by goalie gal Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:33 pm

Iam extremely disappointed in this decision. I think Rocco had made a huge mistake in this decision. I feel that not making the playoff for 2 consecutive season warrants a change . But as I can see friendship means more than a successful hockey team.

goalie gal

Number of posts : 131
Registration date : 2008-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:45 pm

[quote="gensman"]

More misconstrued facts from gensman:

If he has had NO or LIMITED input to this point, it sure ain't a great sign!

Limited input as an assistant coach, total input as head coach and GM. That's a fairly obvious fact that you turned into him having little input in all positions which makes no sense.

I cud care less WHO drafted who, why, or when!

Then you really shouldn't be assessing someone's ability to be a GM if you don't care who drafted who.

cud care less about 'coaching philosophy' (whatever that is) or successorship (something that SHOULD be an extension of a successful coaching regime).

You start numerous threads bashing a coach and you could care less about coaching philosophy? As for successorship, that's only part of a successful coaching regime that retires by choice. Nobody plans for being fired and I'm sure Selwood wasn't the first. The only way successorship is relevant is refuting your constant nonsensical point about De Piero having 5 years to build a team which is as far from the truth as you could possibly get.

One has to wonder about ownership's (true) committment since no terms of contract (extension) have been announced.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I recall you asking on a previous thread what his contract status is. If it wasn't you, it was someone else and I don't recall that question being answered. That logically means that the length of the contract is not public info so none of us know it. Otherwise, I'm sure someone here would be able to answer that question since people here follow the organization quite closely. If there are two years left on the contract (or three or four, who knows?), why would they be talking about extensions so far in advance? And who are you to bring up contract status when you don't know what that status is? You brought it up so you can pretend that ownership is not showing faith in him when the facts contradict that statement. We all know that for better or for worse, what we hear from Rocco Tullio is what he thinks, he doesn't sugarcoat anything. I'm sure you would agree with that. So why do you try and pretend that this isn't a true vote of confidence?

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:27 pm

Beats.... who said anyone was talking about extensions? The story doesn't say anything like that. The last line of the story and the last thing Tullio said was...

"Our vote of confidence is with Chris and moving forward the things we're going to implement and put into place will only be complimentary to what this man is capable of," he says. "We didn't have a lot of time this year to do it, and unfortunately it showed up in the end product on the ice. Moving forward, we have lots of time now to plan properly and put the right systems in place and do what we need to do to make sure next year there are no excuses."

If there was talk of an extension, you know more than the rest of us, please share.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:07 pm

I better be verry careful what I say from now on. I have a forensic grammar linguist on my case. Altho it would be nice if he read the entire sentence/paragraph from time to time. OK where to start?
Whether you are willing to admit it or not this Dips is into his 5th year here. Time flies don't it? Now I'm not really sure what his role has been for these years - perhaps that's because it's tough to figure out what he has accomplished to date. All that is obvious to me now is a pile of substandard total 'team' stats that Dips may or may not have a part in? It sure seems to me he sure don't want to be accountable for much of them!
And unlike yourself - it truly sickens me to read about 'previously selected' ROTTEN draft picks that are holding this team back (and I guess by extension our fab coach too) - and of course the charming part about our heroic coach 'trying to valiantly squeeze a bit of goodness out of them' for a dramatic playoff run but alas it wasn't to be! I was truly relieved that at least he has come out of all this 'unwanted responsibility' with his own personal 'confidence intact!' Whew what a major relief!
I guess if it wasn't for his totally incompetent predecessor who along with his idiotic scouting staff who also had no idea what the heck they were doing - except of course in the brilliance of hiring 'defensive specialist' Dips - a new shiny 3 year extension would be have announced and his for the signing!
In any case, I believe our fair weather friend has luckily dodged a bullet and lives to fight another day. He will continue to be out coached next season regardless of circumstance. I don't think it would have been any problem to upgrade the 'leadership' in a significant manner but who am I other than an ink stained wretch?

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:45 am

This is disappointing but I will be surprised if Peter Debouer is not the next coach and GM of the Generals. IMO Florida will miss the playoffs and Randy Sexton (who did not hire him) will release him. I hope the Generals will find a role for Dipps, but he just is not cutting it as coach of the Gens. The players were not playing for him the last quarter of the season, and that was evident in their performance on the ice. Unless there is significant player movement over the summer, will that change next year ? I don't buy the fact that they were a young rebuidling team. They played well enough for half the season with a good effort and average results, but did not do so the second half...

I can't see the Generals going through another season like the last two, its not financially smart. Sure the fans will turn up like we always do, but no playoffs for two years, possibly three is not smart for Rocco and Adam Graves...
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:03 am

Just seems funny Laughing to me as soon as we traded for Taylor we were sinking even faster,maybe he was a bad influance in the dressing room scratch
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:13 am

ogf wrote:Beats.... who said anyone was talking about extensions? The story doesn't say anything like that. The last line of the story and the last thing Tullio said was...

If there was talk of an extension, you know more than the rest of us, please share.

I was referring to gensman who said that if Tullio really had confidence in De Piero, he would have offered a contract extension. I was making the same point as you, that a vote of confidence does not need a contract extension when there is still time left on the contract. gensman claimed it was a phony vote of confidence because there's no contract extension and that's false.

Last edited by hockeybeats on Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:22 am; edited 1 time in total

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:17 am

gensman wrote:I better be verry careful what I say from now on. I have a forensic grammar linguist on my case. Altho it would be nice if he read the entire sentence/paragraph from time to time. OK where to start?
Whether you are willing to admit it or not this Dips is into his 5th year here. Time flies don't it? Now I'm not really sure what his role has been for these years - perhaps that's because it's tough to figure out what he has accomplished to date. All that is obvious to me now is a pile of substandard total 'team' stats that Dips may or may not have a part in? It sure seems to me he sure don't want to be accountable for much of them!
And unlike yourself - it truly sickens me to read about 'previously selected' ROTTEN draft picks that are holding this team back (and I guess by extension our fab coach too) - and of course the charming part about our heroic coach 'trying to valiantly squeeze a bit of goodness out of them' for a dramatic playoff run but alas it wasn't to be! I was truly relieved that at least he has come out of all this 'unwanted responsibility' with his own personal 'confidence intact!' Whew what a major relief!
I guess if it wasn't for his totally incompetent predecessor who along with his idiotic scouting staff who also had no idea what the heck they were doing - except of course in the brilliance of hiring 'defensive specialist' Dips - a new shiny 3 year extension would be have announced and his for the signing!
In any case, I believe our fair weather friend has luckily dodged a bullet and lives to fight another day. He will continue to be out coached next season regardless of circumstance. I don't think it would have been any problem to upgrade the 'leadership' in a significant manner but who am I other than an ink stained wretch?

I guess it's Keith Acton's fault that the Leafs haven't won the Stanley Cup this decade since he's been there since 2001. As a Leaf fan, I guess I should be demanding his resignation and his alone since he hasn't been able to get the team to win. And Ron Wilson, although new to the team, if he were a good coach would be able to win a Stanley Cup with whatever roster he is given, no excuses. He couldn't turn Toskala into a Vezina candidate so he's a terrible coach?

If all you see in what I wrote is grammatical corrections (which I never brought up at all) and you fail too see that there's a difference between an assistant coach and a head coach/GM, this really is a pointless debate.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:23 pm

obviously not only is dips in over his head , certainly as a coach anyhow , but so is tullio !!! Its clear this this decision to keep dips around is based on finances and basically a lack of knowledge of the game to know what else he could do !!! so its status quo until the other two owners have time to get involved !!! ya i'm disappointed for sure that we dont have more to look forward to for next october , but then again a lot can happen between now and then !!!

wait and see ! its all we can do ! anthing else i could say would only be speculation !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum