Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

RIP Civic Auditorium

+3
Gens Camper
sdspencer
archer_gens
7 posters

Go down

RIP Civic Auditorium Empty RIP Civic Auditorium

Post by archer_gens Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:43 pm

Maybe I'm just off the ball, but for those who are unaware, the Civic Auditorium is in the process of being ripped down, I was by there today and its almost completely gone, although u could see where the bowl was located.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

RIP Civic Auditorium Empty Re: RIP Civic Auditorium

Post by sdspencer Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:58 am

archer_gens wrote:Maybe I'm just off the ball, but for those who are unaware, the Civic Auditorium is in the process of being ripped down, I was by there today and its almost completely gone, although u could see where the bowl was located.
i was by there the other day and was dealt a huge blow when i saw this old landmark being torn down. I have nothing but great memories from this arena. I grew up watching hockey there with the old Wrigleys hockey tournaments, the Generals/Petes games when the fights where taken into the back halls of the dressing rooms. Barry Tobogabaum with the headress on before the Petes game. The Hawkeye pavillion with Felony playing every year. What a great piece of history being torn down. RIP the old barn with the lowest ceiling in hockey. I will miss seeing it each time i drive by there. And who could forget the last game with Bobby Orr in attendance.
sdspencer
sdspencer

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

RIP Civic Auditorium Empty Civic - memories

Post by Gens Camper Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:54 am

I believe the Civic is not being torn down completly - - the foundation will remain - and millions of $$$$ are being spent to make it into an indoor recreation facility But the arena resemblance will be gone

Great memories But sure glad we left that barn and moved on.

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Jun 06, 2010 2:00 pm

thats not what it looked like to me, but i don't know much about construction so maybe
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by drifter Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Oh those were the days. i remember skating on a Sat, & sunday afternoon. all the great games, The concerts, Kenny Rogers,Bobby Vinton, Burton cummings. Just to name a few,On the last game I won the last autographed jersy raffled out of the old barn. The biggest highlite was when Bobby Orr signed it for me. I also had Joe Cirella sign it as well. I said to my wife as we drove past it on Friday. We are really going to miss that place. An awful lot of history going there.RIP Civic Auditorium.
drifter
drifter

Number of posts : 272
Seat Section : 115 row 7
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:22 pm

I drove by and saw them tearing it down. What a shame. I have very good memories. I took some classes last fall at the Civic...and my gut pulled me toward the arena...I expected to go in and sit in my seat. I miss it. I wish we could have the arena we have now, where this Civic was.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jun 08, 2010 10:38 am

Hayes#21 wrote:I miss it. I wish we could have the arena we have now, where this Civic was.

Yup really agree on that one...it's just not the same to some of us...i never wanted the new arena built in downtown Oshawa oh well.

Best memories of the Civic would have to be the Lindros then Savard lead championship teams.

And of course UGENS getting on the refs WOOO! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:04 pm

I only saw six or seven games at the Civic so no I guess I don't have the link to tradition but there was absolutely nowhere to grab a bite to eat around there! I didn't drive back when I attended games at the Civic so I guess the car crowd drove over to the mall or something but that was one thing I really didn't like about its location.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

RIP Civic Auditorium Empty RIP Civic Auditorium

Post by David T Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

I go back to watching the NHL Oakland Seals have the training camp at the Civic. I used to live close by and hang around and watch them play.
I saw many Gens games in the late sixties and early seventies. It was our hang out.

David

David T

Number of posts : 29
Seat Section : 118 ROW 1
Registration date : 2009-03-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:30 am

i use to to go to games alot at the civic to and i had lots of good memories there to.

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:19 pm

archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content