Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gens Schedule Breakdown

+8
Gens Camper
dewitl
Gens_Fan_22
Gens Fan 112
archer_gens
hockeynightinontario
hockeybeats
ogf
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gens Schedule Breakdown - Page 2 Empty Re: Gens Schedule Breakdown

Post by archer_gens Sun Jun 20, 2010 8:33 pm

p.s. i know the team doesn't owe us this, and i know they won't do it, but thats what i would do
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Hockeybeats, a lot of us are frustrated at the casual fan marketing. I, for one, buy season tickets because they play Sunday night and not Sunday afternoon. I live a lot closer to Brampton, Mississauga, and Guelph, but I don't get season tickets there because of the high number of afternoon games. The Generals are unique with their Sunday night games in a crowded market. Many fans come from Toronto, Vaughan, Thornhill, and beyond (these are just a few places I know season ticket holders from). Those places are all much closer to Brampton and Mississauga, but people go to Oshawa because -- let's say it's a 50/50 split between who likes day or night games (my experience is it's more like 80/20 who prefer night), there's one team that plays Sunday night in the GTA and two that play Sunday afternoon (Majors and Battalion). Not coincidentally, the Generals average attendance is more than the two others combined! Why woe the Generals want to water down that advantage by playing more day games? Not to mention, a big selling point to prospective Generals players is there's more scouts in Oshawa than any other arena, as most scouts pick either Brampton, Mississauga, or Guelph (normally two of which are at home any given Sunday afternoon) for 2:00 then go to Oshawa for 6:00 as it's the only night game. The result is, you have twice as many scouts at home games than those other teams. That's a real advantage that's been reduced by playing just ten Sunday night games.

Personally, I guess I'll be at more junior A or B games Sunday night as I'm always looking for a Sunday night game. The Gens' loss will be the gain of places like Elmira or Welland.

hockeynightinontario

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2009-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Also, I don't take it as an individual spite. I take it as a move that means I'll see less games and my per game price is now higher than single game tickets. So I'll reconsider next year if I want to renew. And because of reasons I listed earlier, I won't be buying single game tickets or flex packs if that's the case. I'm in or I'm out. I haven't decided yet, I'll try to wait until I see that year's schedule I suppose.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:18 am

It might inconvenience some but there are tons of people that work Monday morning that have a hard time with the Sunday night games. At least there must be - otherwise why would they be doing this? It's not about pleasing the casual fan, it's about pleasing the majority of fans - and that includes lots of season ticket holders. If they try afternoon games and nobody shows up, there will be less of them. If they try afternoon games and the attendance is higher, there will be more afternoon games. That's pretty much all there is to it. The Family Day game was criticized by some on here and that was the highest attendance of the season at 5536.
Why on earth would any sane person not schedule another Family Day game when the highest attendance of the season was on that date? Some people don't get the day off but there are obviously enough people with the day off and looking for somewhere to bring the kids. It wasn't an arena full of season ticket holders who stayed home, that was a legitimate full house. The Saturday night crowds were also pretty enthusiastic and there was a much better atmosphere at the rink than the Sunday night games.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:32 am

I was at the Saturday night games and disagree on better atmosphere. Not worse but not better. The GMC was pretty silent most games last year, but the quietest I saw it was the one afternoon game I came to. Other than one or two Petes games, I thought the GMC rarely, if ever, ranked above library status. Winnng is what will change that. For the day game I attended, about 80% of the seats around me were empty -- not a good sign when it's mainly season tickets.

When it comes down to it, the team has to tell people if there's going to be a scheduling format change. People do or don't buy tickets based on when games are.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:45 am

Family Day last year had at least some unused season tickets -- mine.

Look, if casual fan marketing such as marketing to families with bored kids is what works, do it. But don't expect the diehards to not complain, and don't expect us to keep coming. Guelph has decided that style of marketing works for them, and many would say it works, as they play to 80% plus capacity in spite of an in game experience of promo giveaways, lame contests, depressingly annoying music (think The Pulse on XM). I'd say it doesn't work, as they can't even sell out every game when the team 20 minutes away has 3,000 more seats and a five year waiting list for season tickets. The Rangers get diehards, the Storm get families and casual fans. Kitchener has a good hockey atmosphere, Guelph is intolerable to most true fans. I'd never get tickets in Guelph but I'm on that Kitchener waiting list.

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:51 am

Forcing ur season ticket holders to take time off work is not a good way to do business, I will be out 400-500$ this year because of it. Yes I could just work and throw out the tickets but i don't think I should have to do that either. I work Mon-Fri regardless of if theres a holiday, so when theres games on thanksgiving and newyears i don't complain because i knew that was coming, even family day i'll put up with (high attendence is because people are forced to take time off work cause there kids have no school, still a stupid holiday, and it still is gonna anger some fans) but the Tuesday game is dumb, and it will sell out, and we'll have it every year now with ur logic Beats..... and when i'm no longer locked in at 13$ a game, and have to pay 15-16$ a game i will be more likely to say goodbye if thats how i'm treated. I love the games, but tv is cheaper. Ownership should smarten up, I 100% feel that the fans are owed something by the team here, i'm gonna say 90% of fans just lost 2 games this year (exhibition and school day game).... paying for what we're not using.... dumb dumb dumb

i do realize i repeat myself lol i'm just upset

i also realize are season tickets don't come with exhibition tickets guranteed, but its still a take away, in a year where costs are going up 2$ a game across the board
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:58 am

Look, if casual fan marketing such as marketing to families with bored kids is what works, do it. But don't expect the diehards to not complain, and don't expect us to keep coming. Guelph has decided that style of marketing works for them, and many would say it works, as they play to 80% plus capacity in spite of an in game experience of promo giveaways, lame contests, depressingly annoying music (think The Pulse on XM). I'd say it doesn't work, as they can't even sell out every game when the team 20 minutes away has 3,000 more seats and a five year waiting list for season tickets. The Rangers get diehards, the Storm get families and casual fans. Kitchener has a good hockey atmosphere, Guelph is intolerable to most true fans. I'd never get tickets in Guelph but I'm on that Kitchener waiting list.

Would this be the same Kitchener Rangers team that plays four of its five Sunday games in the afternoon as well as an afternoon game on Thanksgiving Day?

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:43 am

5 < 8 (Generals)
5 < 10 (Guelph)
5 < 15 (Mississauga)
5 < 21 (Brampton)

There's 34 home regular season games. Most teams give a discount of 10-20% for season tickets. At 20%, you're getting 6.8 games free. Therefore, the threshold at which you're money behind is missing seven games. The Generals went past that this year at eight. 

I'd rather have zero day games, or have them at 4 pm like Quebec. The WHL plays typically at 6 Sunday, like the traditional Generals time. But five is below that threshold that makes you think twice. Eight isn't. 

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Gens Schedule Breakdown - Page 2 Empty Gens times

Post by Gens Camper Mon Jun 21, 2010 11:51 am

Attention - hockeybeats - Having watching the history of the GENS for over 45 yrs unlike yourself - When we had winning teams at the CIVIC 3,500 a night - Friday And Sunday was our night - start times - 7:30 pm - maybe 4 afternoon games a yr - even Tues - 7 :30 pm - guess what we still had to get up for work in the morning - fans were polled for start times - no Sat night games or back to back games that is terrible. The best atmosphere in the building is Friday night and Sunday night - but who needs that - that is the problem of today - we all want to please everyone - Sunday night games at 6:00 pm - is more than enough time for families or out of towners.

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeynightinontario Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:27 pm

Amen, Gens Camper!! It's gotten a little silly now. I actually had someone argue with me that a 4 PM game was too late for kids! Huh!?!?!? Do your kids go to bed at seven? If so, that person needs to understand their bedtimes for their kids are out of whack with most people and maybe they'll have to sacrifice things like hockey -- and most things -- if that's how they feel!!

hockeynightinontario

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:49 pm

For those of us lucky enough to have it in our union language, Family Day is a stat holiday, this could explain the high attendance #. I will check my collective agreement tomorrow but I'm pretty sure "stupid random morning hockey game" is not covered in it.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:29 pm

Family day is not covered under all union agreements, not sure if gm brought it in, but there language says something along the lines of a maximum number of stats, mainly because they have extra stats, so when family day first came in i believe they decided to work it as a regular day rather then give up one of there four day weekends.

But good luck maybe you can find a loop hole for morning hockey games... jks
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Jun 22, 2010 10:33 am

Family Day is a regular work day at G M - NO DAY OFF

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:11 am

does anyone pay for just the ohl action pak? i know people who do the sports pak, but i'm wondering about just the ohl games. The Rogers site say less then 3$ a month when i click it? I had heard its much higher. If you have it what do you pay, out of curiosity. p.s. I hate Rogers they always give me a run around, thus why I ask around first before talkin to them
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by 63 Split Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:23 am

Family Day is a Federal Stat holiday and if GM doesn't work it, they negotiated a day somewhere else. So they get their day regardless.
Start times on Sunday night are plenty early and if finishing before 8:30 Sunday evening is putting a damper on your Monday work schedule, there's a problem at home. Unless you're a radio host of a morning show, give me a break.
I, for one, bought season tickets for the Sunday night games. I enjoy the flexibility of bringing my kids to the game ( they also play hockey..... most often on weekends......Sunday during the morning and afternoon.) These afternoon games you speak of, that will promote bringing more people and kids, will alienate the kids who want to be there most and the parents that support them. In Oshawa and Whitby, the houseleagues and rep teams play the vast majority of their games on the weekend morning/afternoons. I know because I've got kids in both.
I'm very dissappointed in the schedule.
It will make me think long and hard about doing seasons tickets again next year.... for sure.
63 Split
63 Split

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:48 pm

You would not be able to satisfy everybody.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:11 pm

Has anyone contacted Jason to get the facts of how this mid week morning game is going to play out? I have seen a lot of different ideas, and was just wondering if this was just opinion or was these terms confirmed by the Generals (Jason), regarding the season ticket holder seats.

We cannot blanme the Oshawa generals organization for the schedule. The OHL makes the schedule. My guess is that they get input from all the clubs regarding times etc. I cannot believe that the Oshawa generals get to dictate the time and days of the games. This is a league decision. Not that I am a fan. I love Sunday night games. It is a tradition in our family. Many , many years.....

For some reason, the idea that bringing kids who are not interested in sitting for 3 hours is a good idea. I have no issue we have kids at the arena who are respectful of the other fans. But from my first hand experience. The kids that are coming, are only interested for about 1 period. The last two periods they are bored and start acting up and cannot sit for more than 10 seconds. This is not fair to the kids or the fans who want to watch the game.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Gens Schedule Breakdown - Page 2 Empty schedule

Post by Gens Camper Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:54 pm

The team has a preference date then you have to book around arena bookings like the week long curling

We all like the new arena - and in order to pay for it - the arena needs to be booked for other events other than the GENS

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:14 am

The league sets the schedule but they wouldn't do something as radical as an 11am game if the Gens hadn't requested it. The Gens request two days per week as preferred gamedays and that is Friday and Sunday. They always ask for afternoon games on the Timbits day as well as Grey Cup and Super Bowl Sundays so that's 3 Sunday afternoons from the scheduled Sunday games. I'm not sure if the extra afternoon games this season was at their request or league-imposed somehow but at the end of the day regardless of what the Gens request, it is the league that sets the schedule. Arena availability is also something that comes into play but there have been so few events at the GMC that I don't think it's really a major factor.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:04 am

The Gens dictate the schedule PERIOD. The OHL doesn't have a clue when arenas are free and when they are not. The teams have FULL access to scheduling their games. Before anyone says anything, back off, I was involved for years and know exactly how it works. If you don't like it.....too bad, go complain to someone who cares. The Gens are scheduling their games to make money. There is good and bad in everything. The research has been done and they put the schedule together to meet their needs (financial) which puts the complainers on this board on the low end. If the rest of the crowd was like you, the schedule you don't like wouldn't have happened. You must remember, you are one of many. Heck, some of you post like the world should revolve around you......guess what, it doesn't. A handful of people post on this board and complain. Guess what, the other 4000 don't post and obviously don't agree with you.

Quit complaining OR go support a different team.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:14 am

What's with the attitude, ogf?

I will come on here and complain all I want.......How many of the other 4000 as you say even know this board exists? Am I only supposed to complain if I think everyone else feels the same? If the complaining is bothering you so much, why don't YOU go to another board where complaining is not allowed? Seems by your reply, you like to complain too.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by 63 Split Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:23 pm

ogf:
Nice attitiude and post!!. What part of Peterborough are you from. Only a Pete's fan could be so ignorant.
I agree, get a new board and take your hostility elsewhere.
63 Split
63 Split

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-10-20

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:08 pm

Maybe an overly aggressive tone but to be honest, I agree with a lot of what ogf has to say. Everyone's got a different schedule and you can't meet everyone's need. What they seem to have done this year is offer way more variety - some afternoon games, some Saturday night games, still a majority of traditional Friday and Sunday nights - something for everybody. To me that seems they are trying to be responsive to the needs and schedules of different groups. At the end of the day, if less people bought tickets, they would go back to what worked better. If more people buy tickets this season, welcome to the new normal. Some people here do act as if their schedule is the "normal" schedule that the Gens should abide by - ogf is exactly right in calling that out. They wouldn't have added more afternoon games if the market didn't demand it. As for the point earlier that the Gens are the only team that still has 6pm games on Sundays, maybe that tells you something about the junior hockey marketplace across southern Ontario?

Family Day is a perfect example of this. 5500+ showed up that day making it the largest crowd of the season (the rink was full, that wasn't empty season ticket seats!). GM is historically important in Oshawa but obviously there are lots of people that like that date and time so why wouldn't they do it again? It's just common sense. If only 2500 showed up, then the GM schedule is more worthy of consideration as a reason for the small crowd but this clearly wasn't the case. That's a popular date and time for a game - probably the most popular of them all. I agree with ogf - if you don't like the game on Family Day, too bad. There are enough people to fill up the rink that do like it. Either way, GM workers will get that day off whenever it's time for a new CBA, this is just a nuance of contractual language since the old CBA was written (I'm assuming) before the holiday came in. It's a stat holiday. This is the case for most people that don't get that day off except obviously for 24/7 professions like police officers or nurses.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2