Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Should we copy the Windsor plan?

+2
archer_gens
gensfan 2k2
6 posters

Go down

Should we copy the Windsor plan? Empty Should we copy the Windsor plan?

Post by gensfan 2k2 Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:37 pm

First off, I want to see the Generals go as far as possible and compete for a championship even this year. We started out awesome with great speed, offense and good goaltending. Lately we have not had the defense, goaltending and our PP is not as strong as what it could be.

The sky is not falling! (maybe we should not have looked at that #2 CHL ranking)

Remember the year we wanted to go for it and we traded for Nievirth?

That year Windsor was a very good , young team that made the playoffs but had a eye on the future when they traded their goalie. That trade in particular netted them Mitchell, Shugg and picks.

So do we also look to next year and the year after when we will be a little older and more experienced. Right now we have a lot of 16,17 and 18 year old players.

Dehaan won't be back next year or will Dehart and Brown and Berger.

Does a team like Kitchener or Saginaw in the west want a dehaan bad enough to give up something nice?

The West rep will be in the mem cup if Mississauga comes out of the east this year. Maybe a team wants Dehaan, Berger for a strong 17 or 18 year old and a couple of second round draft picks. Maybe you can get a 16 year old as well (ala shugg).

Just thinking, we still make the playoffs , get some experience and are really strong for the next two years where maybe we have a shot at a couple Mem cups like Windsor.

gensfan 2k2

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Should we copy the Windsor plan? Empty Re: Should we copy the Windsor plan?

Post by archer_gens Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:46 pm

My thought isn't to trade players for players, but trade for picks.

That way we can trade those picks for what we need next year.

I don't see any team trading us a star goalie for a star defencemen for example.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan4life Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:00 pm

i agree i would trade for picks and btw i don't any team in the ohl wold want zador or bailie in a trade that's for sure just saying.
generalsfan4life
generalsfan4life

Number of posts : 125
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Should we copy the Windsor plan? Empty Windsor plan

Post by Gens Camper Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:59 pm

I like our plan - be patient - besides in order to copy the Windsor plan you would need a Sellwood to trade you their # 1 pick Re(Shugg) plus proven 40 goal scorer (Mitchell) for an injured goalie - NO IT HAPPENING

Every year trades happen at the deadline in Jan - 12 weeks away - don't rush it - we have a lot of young talented rookies and it will take time - we will have good nights and some learning nights like last night - to build on

There are a lot of teams in The OHL right now with too many players on their roster- hoping someone will give up picks for players - so you shall wait until the poorer teams get desperate

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan 2k2 Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:36 am

I think some have mis read my post. I didn't say trade our goalies. Who would want them? My point is Windsor looked at the big picture and new they were a playoff team but traded a big piece of their team that wouldn't be returning the following year for some parts that were huge in their two Mem Cup years.

The piece that won't be returning is Dehaan and the Oa's so if Kitchener, Guelph, London or Saginaw call and want Dehaan and someone like Berger we would want picks and young talent back that would solidify the team for the next two years.

gensfan 2k2

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:12 pm

I think several people on here have already discussed and are all for trading away some of this years team for next years team. I'm for it so long as we can still make a playoff run this year, the aim should be 3-6th in the standings so we can have a legitamate shot at making it past the first round and gain some playoff experience. Missing the playoffs or going 4 and out to missy in the first round isn't something I want to see.

That said I would hate to pick up any player this year that won't be back next year, we saw what happened last time that was done,
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:54 pm

The Gens are going to tread lightly.
They know they have to make the playoffs this year so any decisions will be thought over carefully. Lets worry about this year first.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Rooster Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:20 pm

I think building for next year is definately the way to go... I'm not throwing in the towel for this year and we should still be a good team, but we have the chance to be a great team next year with the right moves.
Rooster
Rooster

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down