Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did I miss something ???

+15
gensrock
TipcoSr
KHE
steamed
Gens Fan 108
Gens Camper
Firebranch
generalsfan
Kevy
Triggerman
GeneralTwit
Oshawa fan
the croc
ohagan
GensGirl4Life
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Did I miss something ??? Empty Did I miss something ???

Post by GensGirl4Life Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:36 pm

I was on the OHL website looking at the suspensions and whatnot....and i see this today ???

Team Player Date of Game Discipline Eligible to Return
OSH Anton Zupancic Mar. 11 2 Games Mar. 19

???? what am i missing ????
GensGirl4Life
GensGirl4Life

Number of posts : 53
Seat Section : 119
Registration date : 2008-08-17

Back to top Go down

Did I miss something ??? Empty Re: Did I miss something ???

Post by ohagan Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:46 pm

Yes, I was going to ask the same question, what happened there? Last nights game sheet doesn't even list him in the lineup.

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:28 pm

I attended the game in Kingston with my grandson(7 Years old). I can't answer about Zupancic, but WHAT ABOUT WEREK, MAJOR PENALTY AND GAME MISCONDUCT AND APPARENTLY HE PLAYED THE NEXT GAME. I saw werek's hit and he deserved what he got.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:56 pm

If Werek doesn't get a suspension for that hit there is something seriously wrong with OHL discipline. Laughing

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by GeneralTwit Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:17 am

As a reporter, I have been ignored when inquiring as to what Zupancic's Suspension is for, and then hung up on when I asked why Werek was alllowed to dress and score a late goal to earn a Point for the Frontenacs.

The OHL Offices are an absolute joke, they get worse and worse every year, and David Branch MUST resign. He was out of touch with hockey 20 years ago, and it's gotten far worse since then. Now, as Social Media makes information easier to exchange, just how pathetic Branch is comes to light much easier.

GeneralTwit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Triggerman Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:30 am

I have heard that Zupancic was suspended for crossing the red line (during the warm up in Kingston ) and "inciting" the other team. He was informed of the suspension after the game. This infraction does not require a review because its automatic 2 games. Werek's suspension has to be reviewed by the OHL front office which only works 9-5 Mon-Fri (just my guess)

Triggerman

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Triggerman Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:46 am

Was just checking a little deeper and have found out that croossing the red line during warm up is a ten minute misconduct, that's it. Receiving 2 more games for "inciting" the other team seems alittle severe. Question is though, who was there to hand out the suspension right after the game? Why was Werek not suspended as well right after the game? Zupancic did not serve a ten minute misconduct , maybe something else going on?

Triggerman

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2009-01-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevy Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:18 pm

If this suspension is all we have to complain about, then we should consider ourselves lucky.

The Moncton Wildcats have lost two of their key players in the last week as a result of dangerous/dirty hit. Both of which will most likely go unpunished (The first one did, the second one happened yesterday). The discipline in the QMJHL is the joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgRN7nb6b4s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJO1lSVfRls
Kevy
Kevy

Number of posts : 789
Seat Section : 114 Row 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:55 pm

If the Gens and Frontenacs end up being a 1st round match-up and if the league suspends Werek, I hope they wait until Thursday to make Werek's suspension effective...that way Werek can play Wednesday night and however many games he gets, it cuts into the playoff series more. Very Happy

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebranch Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:14 pm

GeneralTwit wrote:As a reporter, I have been ignored when inquiring as to what Zupancic's Suspension is for, and then hung up on when I asked why Werek was alllowed to dress and score a late goal to earn a Point for the Frontenacs.

The OHL Offices are an absolute joke, they get worse and worse every year, and David Branch MUST resign. He was out of touch with hockey 20 years ago, and it's gotten far worse since then. Now, as Social Media makes information easier to exchange, just how pathetic Branch is comes to light much easier.

Couldn't have said it any better!!

Werek's penalty, based on the rule number in the game summary, is a match penalty. A match penalty is an automatic one-game suspension. The only way he could have played is if the decision was overturned.

Werek gets nothing for a dangerous, intentional, elbow-first charge with a head hit but Zupancic gets two games for crossing the red line in warmups.

A month ago, Labardo gets five games for avoiding Grubauer, and Gudbranson gets just eight games for the same elbow/charge/head check and ensuing instigator/aggressor.

Nobody can convince me there isn't bias.

To me, Branch's attempts to soften the league haven't changed Oshawa's style of play to his liking, so he's trying to beat them into submission with suspensions. And I sure hope it doesn't work. I'd rather watch an entertaining, highly penalized team with lots of incorrect suspensions than a soft team that gets more breaks.

Firebranch

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-01-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Branch will only lose his job when the governors of the OHL feel he is not

doing his job in the best interest of the OHL - - so you might as well drop

your Fire Branch rant - as the owners are OK with the majority - maybe

not all but most of what he does.

I agree with you on these 2 issues about Labardo and now Werek - but we

get a different view than an on ice official does

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebranch Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:21 pm

Gens Camper wrote:Branch will only lose his job when the governors of the OHL feel he is not

doing his job in the best interest of the OHL - - so you might as well drop

your Fire Branch rant - as the owners are OK with the majority - maybe

not all but most of what he does.

I agree with you on these 2 issues about Labardo and now Werek - but we

get a different view than an on ice official does

I'll never drop the rant. Responses like that just encourage me more.

Not sure why you support a dictator who clearly has it in for Oshawa, but that's your perrogative. I know the coaching staff doesn't appreciate that approach.

I do agree on one thing -- the on ice officials do have a different perspective -- being blind must get in their way of calling a game.

Firebranch

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:32 pm

Does anyone have a clip of the WEREK hit..?

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:07 pm

Every home team in the OHL feels they get a raw deal from the REFS

Do you actually believe it's just us.

Do you know that there is a shortage of on ice officials and they are just like the players learning their job 1 day at a time

All I hear is the problems with refs - where are your solutions - hire full time refs with more $$$$$ - that will go over well with the paying customers, who are itching about paying more for their seasons tickets next yr.

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebranch Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:51 pm

If I was a Generals fan, I'd say you have a point. I'm not. I'm a hockey fan. The Gens have been involved in less than a quarter of the games I've been to this year. I'd like to see the Gens win in the playoffs since l have tickets, but I'm not really attached to any OHL team.

Yeah, I think the league needs to find a way to have a full time ref staff like American equivalent leagues do. The officiating there is light years better. If the tickets have to go up a buck, fine. Better yet, maybe it can come out of the seven figure profit of many teams -- London's profit is estimated at $5 million per year. Maybe Hockey Canada will step up the way USA Hockey did. we are throwing around stimulus money to create jobs -- $10 million would pay the refs salaries for more than a decade. How about that? Maybe going to one ref -- better to have one good ref than one good one and one lousy one. Maybe just not giving them bad advice -- it's amazing how much better these same refs are when doing junior A games.

But all that's irrelevant. I'm talking about bias from Branch in terms of suspensions. That has nothing to do with refs. The refs got the Werek call right (match, carrying automatic suspension) and the Zupancic call right (ten minute misconduct). It was Branch/league office (which seems to be just Branch) that overruled both.

Firebranch

Back to top Go down

Post by GeneralTwit Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:53 pm

Clouding this issue to somehow try and blame the "on-ice" officials does nothing. DAVID BRANCH is the problem! A referee cannot issue a suspension!

Can't figure out how any of the "on ice" officials got dragged into this to begin with. They made the correct call, and gave Werek a match penalty. After recieving no reply from the OHL by the end of business today, I went to print with my article regardless. How can the OHL try and promote something constructive like Ben Fenelli's Head Strong program, yet continue to ignore direct hits to the head?

I speak about this in my article today, you are all welcome to give it a read, I'd be curious to hear what some other OHL fans think?

http://www.torontonews24.com/city-sports/25-hockey/210-ohl-power-rankings-league-sends-mixed-messages-on-headshots

GeneralTwit

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebranch Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:25 pm

By far the best article I've read on the OHL. Finally, someone in the media sees through that bleeping hypocrite and exposes the truth!

Firebranch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:50 pm

Very good article but not sure about the accuracy of the Oshawa Generals demanding a suspension to Werek or lookout if they meet in the first round.

If an Oshawa official said this he could be repremanded and sure sets the team up for even closer scrutiny come playoffs - if this is true which I doubt this is not good.

It is too bad your article wasn't in print as very few will read this internet article.

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebranch Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:24 pm

I took it more as a player than an official. Gotta admit, glad to see this team stands up for each other! That's why I think they're the favorites in the playoffs.

Firebranch

Back to top Go down

Post by GeneralTwit Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:09 am

Correct. Obviously, because of the quotes potential for "trouble", I was asked not to print a name, but the players are clearly upset. I would never expect that comment from a team official, I find the Gens brass to be among the elite Front Offices in the O.

I don't believe that the team has demanded a suspension, but that doesn't stop them from being upset at the lack of one. I'm sure the comment was meant more internally, but still expresses the surprise by the Generals that no suspension has come of it. I would tend to side more with GensCamper however, that I don't expect a follow through with the threat, especially if the meeting is in the Playoffs. I would hope Dips has a tighter control over his squad, and won't allow petty revenge to get in the way of winning a playoff series.

That said...lots of weird things can happen in the playoffs, so we'll see. Personally, I feel that Branch is simply stalling as long as possible, before a LONG suspension is handed out, one that would ensure Werek NOT playing in the opening round of the playoffs, and would take away the potential disaster that a "revenge game" would create.

GeneralTwit

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 108 Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:06 pm

Not all that surprised that the team is thinking about pay back. This is not the first time Werek has taken out one of the Gens, he sucker punched Stokes back in '08. Stokes was out for a month.

All head office has to do is look at the tape of the Gens after the game ended, Jenner was shaking his head like he was trying to clear the stars! I can guarentee that Jenner had a pretty good headache after that hit!

Gens Fan 108

Number of posts : 81
Seat Section : 108
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:20 pm

Anton Zupanic got suspended in the warm ups as he didn't stop chirppin when he was told to by the linesman. Rolling Eyes
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:21 pm

I really hope that this team can rise above this incident and not specifically look for retribution as that is exactly what Kingston would want.. an Oshawa team in the box. I hope they consider retribution a 4 game sweep if they end up facing each other in the first round. I really hope Oshawa can win these next 3 games and win the division and then take the playoffs one game at a time and avoid a matchup with Kingston as I fear it would be a long series with suspensions incurred.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Firebranch Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:42 pm

steamed wrote:Anton Zupanic got suspended in the warm ups as he didn't stop chirppin when he was told to by the linesman. Rolling Eyes

Pretty soft suspension. Chirping in the warmups is part of the game, adds intensity and makes the games more feisty and energetic, which is what hockey is about to me!!

Firebranch

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:02 pm

I agree KHE - I would rather win the division - doesn't happen very often - almost 20 yrs since the last 1 besides the Kingston series would take away from the game.

Chirping in the warm up may be part of the game BUT someone who hasn't played in awhile sure blew it - also listening to the on ice officials is part of discipline and respect and that is what these guys are suppose to learn

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next