Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable?

+3
gensrock
Gens Camper
Macker88
7 posters

Go down

Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable? Empty Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable?

Post by Macker88 Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:03 pm

I'm just curious what everyone else thinks on this topic.

I've really liked Owen McDade's game the past couple weeks, he's been playing physical, dropping the mits. I've always like his game as an offensive player, and now adding the toughness to his game makes me think he'll be a solid contributor going forward. I like him in a 3rd/4th line role for the remainder of the season.

Jacob Busch, has contributed some key goals here and there this season, he's dropped the mits when need be and really stepped up an excelled in every role DJ Smith has put him in. I think he's another guy I'd keep moving forward.

Matt Hore, while he's improved this season, and is half decent on the fore check, he doesn't do much else. He looks scared out there, he tries to play rough, but then backs down. He's not a great skater, doesn't have great hands or offensive ability. I would not lose any sleep over him being shipped out.

Aidan Wallace, I really like this kids game as a 3rd line checker. He's showed sparks off offensive ability, he has pretty good hands and good hockey sense. He's looked good on the penalty kill and 5 on 5 when given the ice time. He's a guy I'd like to keep as well but I can see him being moved for an upgrade as he has probably the most value of the young players.. other then Vande Sompel and Dal Colle.

Joe Manchurek, I liked this kid a lot last year in his brief call up and early this season, but he really doesn't look to improved all that much. His skating has improved all admit that, but he really hasn't done much and he's been given time on the top 2 lines and on the power play units. He has some trade value to my knowledge and I think of the Generals with trade value I'd find him most expendable as Hore's trade value is probably next to nothing.

Sam Harding, he's a player I notice but then lose track of during a game, then I see he's added some points, been named to team Ontario and has played every game for Generals this year as a 2nd round pick 97 rookie. I'm going to start watching him more from this night on, but I'd have to think if he's on team Ontario he's having a good rookie year and has some obvious potential.

Mitchell Vande Sompel, I have criticized this kid numerous times. I still stand by my opinion that this kid is not the second coming of Ryan Ellis. He's far to soft defensively, does not hit, and is not positionally a good defenseman. With that being said his offensive ability is definitely there, he is a great smooth skater, good passer and has quite the shot on him. However if the Gens could acquire some top end talent I can see him being moved.

Stephen Desrocher, he's been in and out of the lineup all season. I've seen a huge improvement from pre season to now. His skating isn't exactly strong but its coming around, If he can improve even more next season he'll be a solid 4,5,6 defenseman and for a later round pick that's all you can ask. His trade value can't be to high, so he'll likely be sticking around but if he is moved I wouldn't be to upset.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable? Empty Who is Expendable ????

Post by Gens Camper Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:58 pm

This thread is unbelievable

We are in 1 st place and all you are concerned with is who is not playing up to your standards =- Sure glad you are NOT our G M

Do you think Scott Laughton was this good 3 years ago or Andrew Cassels

Scott barely saw the ice in his 1 st year at that is the growing process in this league

Leave our top picks alone as you are entitled to your opinion BUT it is hurtful to the players

I love our top picks and the chemistry on this team - Why is it this team with some might say less talent than last year a better team

The last 4 years great # 1 picks - Jenner , Laughton , Cassels , Dal Colle and now Mitchell - all great picks that not every team can boast about

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable? Empty Re: Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable?

Post by Macker88 Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:40 pm

This is a discussion board, people are allowed to bring up topics that will allow a discussion to take place. It's an unbiased opinion, but it is my opinion. These players are junior hockey players, many drafted by or soon to be drafted by NHL teams, do you really think they read an open fourm, and if they do, do you really think they let it effect their psyche. If they do their likely not going any where with hockey as you need to be a strong willed individual to be an elite athlete. Our top picks in the past years have been fantastic, Jenner, Laughton, Cassels, Dal Colle. Vande Sompel may indeed be a good player, but my opinion is based on his play this year, not his future play. When making high end trades to acquire high end talent top picks such as Vande Sompel are likely to be in play. Know one is saying moving the kid or that he's a bad person or a horrid hockey player, I'm simply saying if acquiring a Ryan Hartman or top end talent is in play its likely going to cost Mitchell Vande Sompel. An I personally would be more in favour of moving him or Matt Hore or Stephen Desrocher or Joe Manchurek then Sam Harding, Owen McDade, Jacob Busch or Aiden Wallace. An yes we are in 1st place, but since when did 1st place win you a Memorial Cup.. Never... If your content with just being 1st place, I'm glad your not the GM. As a good GM your constantly looking to upgrade your team.. IF it makes sense.
I'm not talking out of my ass here, I know Junior Hockey and I'm sure lots will agree. But bottom line this is a discussion board and the topic was brought up as a discussion point for other fans to lend their personal opinions on whom they feel would be expendable if we needed to move a roster player for a veteran upgrade.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable? Empty Re: Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable?

Post by gensrock Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:51 pm

wow.......good opinion
I personally don't agree on many points but hey that's me.
oranges are oranges right?

well now if someone could provide us with this same breakdown of the other 19 teams we could have a very good discussion on this.
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:28 pm

I don't think the question is who is expendable, but, which players would another team want/ how do I find which draft picks the Generals have? What do you Gens fans need to get to the OHL final. I thought the Fronts needed goaltending but, not if you watched the Barrie game here last night. Even Hawerchuk got tossed. Must have been the same QMJHL ref that Oshawa had Sunday night. So give me info what do you need...which players are wanted by other teams and what draft choices does Twohey still have? Rgards the addle-pated Kingston Croc.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:30 pm

Maybe rather then people being upset with the topic they could state which players they consier to be untouchable.

I think it's a valid topic, if we decide to buy or sell, we will see alot of roster changes possibly.

Personally for the right deal I don't believe anyone is untouchable.

That being said I don't think other teams will give us enough for Harding or Vande Sompel, and thus I will say neither of them should be traded.

That being said I'd have traded JT when he was a rookie if the deal was so great that it gave us a great shot at winning a cup.

I do however understand the concern of trashing anyone and how they are playing.

The only way I'll be upset at the end of the day is if I feel we got ripped off.

Neuvirth comes to mind, injured all year and we gave up tons to get him. I believe the Gens new it was gonna be a huge gamble there, I don't like huge gambles. That being said you do need to gamble sometimes if your gonna make the team better.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Young Generals.. Who would you keep, Who is expendable? Empty Untouchables

Post by Gens Camper Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:04 pm

No player is untouchable - many thought Laughton and Altshuller would be trade bait come January only a few months ago - if the goal is to have a team that competes night in and out and puts seats in the GMC barn as the owners would like - We are doing that

If you think we have what it takes to add 2 or 3 top pieces and hope they all fit in - I guess you go for it BUT you should not trade the future for the present - trade picks

Personally if someone calls for Laughton and Altshuller you listen -  But not sure how many think giving away the unproven kids will help unless they don't want to be here

I would not be surprised if we do SELL but get a top young talent in return

Ryan Hartman and you want to give up a 16 yr old - better get 3   2nds as well

It will take more than Hartman to put us over the top - Now where do you get help next yr on the back end

No Brown , Carlise , Sullentroop next yr - Brown in Ahl - maybe Carlise only D back

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:41 pm

Macker88 wrote:This is a discussion board, people are allowed to bring up topics that will allow a discussion to take place. It's an unbiased opinion, but it is my opinion
Here here! We are here to discuss the Generals and junior hockey. If we all shared the same opinion it would be a very boring discussion board.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:55 pm

Gens Camper wrote:
It will take more than Hartman to put us over the top - Now where do you get help next yr on the back end

No Brown , Carlise , Sullentroop next yr - Brown in Ahl   -  maybe Carlise only D back
Is Petschenig going somewhere? I agree they should keep in mind what the defense will look like for next year. I like Vande Sompel for many reasons. Another year of growth and he will play stronger. He will never be an over physical player but will use his smarts and tremendous skating ability to be an elite defenseman. I would not trade him. Desroscher is looking better very game he plays. He is using his non playing time well. Him and Matt Hore sat behind us in Section 104 on Friday.
After that we have are looking at rookies for next year like Daniel Robertson and Stephen Templeton.
If Vande Sompel is traded we would need some defense back.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:16 pm

Check what teams have as far as draft picks at
intheoradio.com

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:04 pm

oshgens2k2 wrote:Check what teams have as far as draft picks at
intheoradio.com
Awesome tip. Don't know how I missed this site.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down