Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deadline Deals !!

+9
Rinkrat
nerfherder
chupa81
sportznut
hockeybeats
steamed
Gens Camper
gmc 118
Macker88
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Deadline Deals !! Empty Deadline Deals !!

Post by Macker88 Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:00 pm

Gemel Smith to London from Owen Sound in Exchange for Kyle Platzer & Santino Centorame.

*Write up to follow

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Deadline Deals !! Empty Re: Deadline Deals !!

Post by Macker88 Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:22 pm

Gemel Smith is a 5'11 192 Center, who was originally drafted by the Owen Sound Attack in the 6th Round, 120th overall in 2010 from the North York Rangers Minor Midger program. He made the Attack in his rookie season, which was 2010-11. He appeared in 66 games scoring, 8 goals & 8 assists for 16 points. In 2011-2012 he suited up for Canada at the Ivan Hlinka Memorial Tournament, appearing in 5 games but recording 0 points. He also suited up for Canada at the U-18's where he scored 2 goals and 3 assists for 5 points in 7 games. In the 2011-2012 regular season Smith tallied 60 points in 68 games on 21 goals and 39 assists. In 2012-2013 Smith put up 23 goals and 29 assists for 52 points in 61 games. Thus far this season Smith has appeared in 40 games, scoring 26 goals and adding 20 assists for 46 points. Smith is a 2012 4th Round Draft pick of the Dallas Stars #104th overall. Smith also has Memorial Cup experience, appearing in 4 games during the 2010-2011 season.

Kyle Platzer, is a 5'11 183lbs Right Winger who was originally selected by the London Knights in the 4th Round, 65th overall in 2011 from the Waterloo Wolves Minor Midget team. 2011-2012 was Platzer's 1st year of junior eligibility, he spent the majority of the season with his hometown Waterloo Siskins of the GOJHL appearing in 50 games, scoring 31 goals & 24 assists for 55 points to go along with 70 penalty minutes. Platzer was called up to the Knights for 4 games in 2011-2012 recording 1 point. 2012-2013 was Platzer's first full season in the OHL, he appeared in 65 games, scoring 5 goals and 17 assists for 22 points to go along with 15 penalty minutes and a plus 7 rating. So far through 39 games this season Platzer has 9 goals & 8 assists for 17 points. Platzer is a Edmonton Oilers draft pick, being selected in the 4th round 96th overall in 2013.

Centorame, is a 5'10 179lbs D-man who was originally selected in the 4th round, 83rd overalls in 2012 out of the Mississauga Rebels organization. Last season was Centorame's first year of Junior Eligibilty, he spent the majority of the season with the Georgetown Raiders of the OPJAHL appearing in 48 games and recording 13 assists and 54 penalty minutes. He saw 3 games of action with London as well last season recording 0 points and a -1 rating. Thus far this season in 33 games with London Centorame has appeared in 33 games, scoring 2 goals and adding 3 assists for 5 points and 22 penalty minutes.

I love this deal for Owen Sound, it adds building blocks for next season and the following, where Owen Sound looks to be serious contenders. Centorame, really solidified himself as the Knights 6th defenseman as the season has wore on and looks to be a very solid D-Man moving forward. Platzer is a character guy who can contribute offensively at times but what he brings is energy and heart and is a solid penalty killer. Smith only deepens the Knights offense. Its to no surprise that the Knights settled for Smith as they didn't have the assets to acquire their number 1 target, Ryan Hartman.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:19 am

Gens pick up O/A dman Alex lepkowski a strong steady player. 6ft5 205 lbs. His rights were owned by Barrie but have 3 oa on roster and didn't protect him. Nice pick up by twohey. Even better it's a freebie. Probably puts an end to any latta or van stralen rumours. I would like one more top 6 forward to really go for a run.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:21 am

I guess the rumour I just posted was more fact then rumour ! great pick up. ill do a full right up on Lepkowski in a couple minutes.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:35 am

Alex Lepkowski, originally drafted by the Saginaw Spirit in the 4th Round, 66th overall in 2009. Lepkowski was drafts out of the St.Francis High School program. In 2009-10, his first of junior eligibility, he appeared in 53 games, putting up 1 assist and 39 penalty minutes. In 2010-2011 he put up 6 assists in 39 games, split between Saginaw & Barrie. In 2011-2012 he appeared in 51 games having his best offensive season with 8 goals and 3 assists for 11 points to go along with 46 penalty minutes. Last season in 60 games he had 9 points, all assists & 78 penalty minutes. So far this season he appeared in just 13 games with Rochester, 3 being in the Spengler Cup. He had 0 points in his AHL stay. Before signing with the Generals he appeared in 1 game with Greenville of the ECHL recording no points. Lepkowski was a 5th Round pick of the Buffalo Sabres 137th overall in 2011. He was not signed but invited to Rochester's AHL camp and was signed by them.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:47 am

Just what we needed was BIG , STRONG defenseman with EXPERIENCE

Great job by our G M  AND THE PRICE WAS RIGHT

Another forward would be GREAT - Word Sudbury is close to a deal for Carrick from Missy

I still think it will be a dog fight to win the East - I will feel much better with 2 wins this weekend

GO GENS GO

P S - Any deals London makes to get stronger helps our chances to get to BIG SHOW in May

We want to meet London in the OHL final

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jan 09, 2014 10:56 am

Remind me to go shopping with Twohey carrying no money or credit cards. That's why he's been in the league 32 years. Unbelievable  Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:03 am

Do you think the Gen's will do anything else? I would like to see a Euro player added.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:04 pm

Sudbury goes from pretenders to contenders,sould be a good game Sunday
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:11 pm

With Sudbury acquiring Trevor Carrick & Radek Faksa they've most definitely upgraded, an in my unbiased opinion they have now become the team to beat in the East. Sudbury's power play could take a hit as Leblanc was a big part of it. Faksa's offensive numbers have been down this year, but he brings lots more to the game then just offense.
I really think the generals need a top 6 forward to compete with Sudbury in a 7 game series.

Right now I have Sudbury, Oshawa, Barrie, Kingston in that order.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:37 am

Looks like the Gens just did to Barrie what the Rangers did to the Gens when Tsimikalis went over to Kitchener a few years ago and the Gens didn't protect him assuming he wasn't coming back. What I heard today was that Barrie was given an assurance that Lepkowski wasn't coming back - otherwise they would've protected him. I didn't take notes of who said what but is it safe to say that some people think it's okay if it helps the Gens but it was the other way around, some people would be upset?  Laughing

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:05 am

I'm guessing Buffalo did not anticipate Rasmus Ristolainen coming over this season, and basically had assumed Lepkowski would be their 6/7th defensemen. But with Rasmus coming over in pushed guys back a spot and thus Lepkowski became the 7th/8th guy, which basically means you see no ice time. I'm sure Buffalo would have preferred to have him play in the ECHL until the NHL trade deadline where I'm sure they move a veteran D-Man or two. Then Lepkowski would have moved into the top 6 in Rochester, once guys went up to Buffalo.
But things happen and sometimes people get screwed over, its part of pro hockey.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by sportznut Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 am

In my opinion the current pick ups are good enough to keep us in the Eastern playoffs. I look at these trades as "box office" deals. What I mean by this is that the team improved enough to have a good run in the eastern playoffs and bring in as much revenue as possible. I am disappointed for a team that wasn't selling and we could not bring over any high end players (ie Blandisi, Rychel these type) not players just to keep us competitive in our own division. Maybe there wasn't anything available, who knows. Yes, the team has improved but not to the point to contend for a memorial cup. This just keeps us up to speed with teams in our conference that made moves.
Macker I totally agree, Sudbury will be a beast of a team and I see them coming out of the Eastern Conference if we don't make make another trade getting a high profile player.
Every year the same story, never enough to get over the hump but just enough to stay competitive and look for a lucky break in playoffs. (Playoffs is a new season and you never know what can happen)
I realize my opinion is a bit premature cause the trading dead line is not quite over. So lets see how Twohey plays his hand..no cards or I'll take one more card and score an ace Smile Make this team a real contender!

sportznut

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-10-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:12 am

Sportznut, i am in total agreement with your post. However with twohey and DJ not willing to trade vande sompel and harding, its tought to make a big splash that we are looking for. If i could land a hartman i would trade either or to get it done. This team may not have lots of talent but finally we have a team that plays as a team. No selfish individuals like JENNER and LESSIO. Dont be gun shy twohey on more top forward would be sweet.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:19 pm

Pretty quiet deadline day,Gens didn't do anything,and like what Twohey did and I'm sure he tried for others but hands were tied as the amount of 2nds we have left as thats what teams seem to want and why ruin chemistry, but surprised that there were not other teams making trades more expecially Kingston,but why mess with it there team is built for next year.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:20 pm

Yawn!!! Sudbury is the team to beat now in the East! Twohey picked up 2 good players, but scoring was not addressed in my mind. Disappointed he did make a bold move! There is still time!

chupa81

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-11-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:35 pm

Some of you will never be satisfied. Reading these posts makes me laugh. Not wanting to trade our young talent but expect to get star players back. It's all trade Dundas McDade, Hore.  Guess what people teams don't want our low end talent for their top guys. Takes two to trade and agree what they feel best for their team. In my books Twohey gets an A. You want a scorer, Smoskowitz has 20 goals on a shitty team. Wait till he plays pp with Laughton, MDC, Sterk Cassels etc. You wanted to shore up the D. Twohey got the steal of the deadline in Leptowski. Most teams are pissed they missed on that mainly Barrie and Kingston. He got him for NOTHING! Isn't that what most of you are whining about? Keep our young talent improve our team.  This year I was not expecting much. This is the best staff we have had since Bill Stewart days. We will compete with Sudbury etc.  just have fun see what happens....remember these are kids not NHL millionaires. Rant done

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:42 pm

nerfherder wrote:Some of you will never be satisfied. Reading these posts makes me laugh. Not wanting to trade our young talent but expect to get star players back. It's all trade Dundas McDade, Hore.  Guess what people teams don't want our low end talent for their top guys. Takes two to trade and agree what they feel best for their team. In my books Twohey gets an A. You want a scorer, Smoskowitz has 20 goals on a shitty team. Wait till he plays pp with Laughton, MDC, Sterk Cassels etc. You wanted to shore up the D. Twohey got the steal of the deadline in Leptowski. Most teams are pissed they missed on that mainly Barrie and Kingston. He got him for NOTHING! Isn't that what most of you are whining about? Keep our young talent improve our team.  This year I was not expecting much. This is the best staff we have had since Bill Stewart days. We will compete with Sudbury etc.  just have fun see what happens....remember these are kids not NHL millionaires. Rant done

Good post nerfherder agree with you 100% cheers
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Deadline Deals !! Empty Deadline deals

Post by Gens Camper Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:52 pm

In a perfect world - 1 Team has more chips at the poker table than another  and that was Sudbury - time will tell

But if someone had said last week we would have a top 6 forward and a top 4 shutdown DEE for only a 2 nd

most of us would be happy with that - GREAT job by our G M  - if you liked our team before - you should like it better and

we didn't mortgage the future - maybe other teams got  more picks from other teams as most trades involved picks not top young players

Just remember most 1 st round picks have no trade clause and must agree to a trade - it's not as easy as we think being a G M

Let's move ahead and it's the final 4 in the East - Oshawa vs Kingston and Sudbury vs Barrie

Do we all agree  Kingston and Barrie could upset - or Sudbury vs Kingston and Oshawa vs Barrie

Maybe Oshawa wins vs Barrie and Kingston beats Sudbury  - who knows - anyone can WIN

The bottom line GENS fans it's a crapshoot - let's enjoy the ride  - We are in the drivers seat in 1 st place - been a long time since

that happened - so fill the BARN and cheer like hell for our GENS - GO GENS GO

totally AGREE with Nerfherder

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinkrat Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:30 pm

Great Job.... Preserved the future, and improved the hockey team.

Rinkrat

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinkrat Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:35 pm

Anyone know if both new players are playing tonight.

Rinkrat

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:46 pm

or what the line combos might look like.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:52 pm

Would sweeter then pie to get some revenge on barrie for sweepin us last year in the playoffs....like puttin them out of the race instead....I do look forward to seeing what our new guys can bring...I dont have rogers tv to watch the game but will pay close attention on the net or by getting updates by watchin the CHL game of the week tonight on sportsnet (london vs. guelph).

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:28 pm

I know there was a picture tweeted of Smoskowitz practicing with the Generals the day after the trade so I`m assuming he`s in the lineup for sure. Lepkowski should be in the lineup as well, but I haven`t heard anything, just going of an assumption.

Line Combo`s will likely be
Dal Colle - Laughton - Smoskowitz
Cassels - Sterk - Latour/Smith
Dundas - Harding - Smith/Latour
Busch - McDade - Manchurek/Wallace

Brown - Lepkowski
Suellentrop - Vande Sompel
Carlisle - Petschenig

*Noticed Matt Hore is no longer on the roster.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:46 pm

do we know what happened to Matt Hore?????

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum