Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Laughton..

+6
5forfighting
KHE
archer_gens
gensrock
Oshawa fan
steamed
10 posters

Go down

Laughton.. Empty Laughton..

Post by steamed Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:23 am

How many games will Scott Laughton receive? on his butt end I say 4 games as he is repeat offender, Scott just dosn't learn,  he got suspended last years playoffs, I don't know if that was the factor on us not betting the Colts but it didn't help.Gen's got to play smart hockey and don't fall for Pete's tactics,This suspension may hurt the Gens advancing, I hope not .
GO GENS Go
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Laughton.. Empty Re: Laughton..

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:34 am

I think the range is 2-4 games. Not a good thing by any account. I am hoping it is only 2 games because of the playoffs but his discipline history is a concern.

Playing with an edge as Laughton does sometimes costs the team. I hope the Gens can overcome it as they did last night being down 2 men.

The officiating last night was bad. They let stuff go or didn't see it and then called penalties that were not. It was bad for both teams. Not an excuse for one of your leaders to take himself out of the series though.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:07 am

58.4 Match Penalty - A match penalty shall be imposed on a player who
injures an opponent as a result of a butt-end.

This is what Laughton was assesed, now if the game report tells the lead up to there may be a 1 game given but I doubt it.

What Laughton did was no worse than what #3 Lizotte did when he got a Slew-foot match
52.2 Match Penalty - Any player who is guilty of slew-footing shall be
assessed a match penalty.
Again maybe 1 game but I dought it.

I believe you get an automatic game(meaning the rest of the current game) when a match penalty is given
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:45 pm

I think there is a difference between a game misconduct and a match penalty. I think match penalties are reviewed by the league. Certainly we have seen slewfoot calls result in suspensions in the past.

I hope Gensrock is correct. My wife tells me the broadcasters mentioned a possible suspension. I thought a match penalty could result in a suspension.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:27 pm

I believe we got a suspension for spearing a few years back, I don't see how this would be any different.

My thought is if it was intentional its just as bad if not worse then what Londons goalie did. I have not seen the footage, nor did I see the play happen on the ice. The league likes to suspend on injuries, so they may wait for a doctors report from the Petes today.

I say 0-10 Games, that is how Branch's OHL works

p.s. does anyone know how buying back games work. Is it any suspension under 5 games that is elligible?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:43 pm

Oshawa fan wrote:I think there is a difference between a game misconduct and a match penalty.  I think match penalties are reviewed by the league.  Certainly we have seen slewfoot calls result in suspensions in the past.

I hope Gensrock is correct.  My wife tells me the broadcasters mentioned a possible suspension.  I thought a match penalty could result in a suspension.

When I got come from the game last night my wife was on the phone so she hadn't changed the channel from the broadcast of the game. I rewound to see the incident of the butt end. You could see it on the coverage although it wasn't that clear. I would be surprised if he got off scott free (no pun intended). I'd expect 1 or 2 games for Scott. The slew foot was brutal (didn't watch replay, just saw it live). A lot of people don't realize how dangerous a slew foot can be. That being said though I thought the slew foot was worth more games than the butt end. Thankfully neither player was injured on the play which is also a determining factor for supplemental discipline. We'll see though.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:38 pm

I believe that there may be an automatic 1 game suspension with either of those calls based on the “match” but not sure.

I also believe that those automatic suspensions can be “bought back” but not a supplemental suspension imposed by the league
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by 5forfighting Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:31 pm

I saw the replay too KHE, if thats is the only view the league has its not the best.  The stupid thing is, he did it with the linesman standing behind him and the refering watching!  How stupid can you be?

I believe  with a match penalty the player can not dress until the incident is reviewed, unlike a major where they can play until its deemed a suspension. Typically the teams don't dress the player if they figure its suspendable so it helps eat up their time.

Scott's a repeated offended, so likely more then normal.  I'm thinking 5-8 games.  These seem to be the 2 numbers the OHL's discplinary wheel keeps landing on.  ( Side note:  if by the grace of god Laughton returnes next season,  lets not dress him for around 2.  Apparenlty he doesnt like playing in it)

On a positive note, the boys played well that last 10 minutes without him.  Plus they killed that very long PK off like pros.  Its not often fans are on their feet after a PK.    Scott hasn't been a very offensive threat thus far, so I'm hoping he won't be too badly missed (think of it as practice for next year??!?!).  Id liked to see Dylan start getting more ice time, so maybe this is his chance.

Wonder how long it will take the brass to rule on this.....I'd hope by end of day today. There is only 8 teams playing, clearly they can't be that busy!

5forfighting

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Laughton.. Empty Scott and Suspension

Post by Gens Camper Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:43 pm

We still haven't heard about Friday's -  5 minute major by Petes on Van deSomple

I thought slew foot was automatic 2 games and reviewable as is all match penalties

Scott usually retaliates - so I am guessing the Petes got under his skin and he did something he regrets

If he is out more than 2 games that would give the Petes all the incentive they need to tie the series

Then who knows - Like I said the keys were Discipline  - P K - P P AND Goaltending - so far 3 out 4

The Petes know the ONLY way to beat us is to play that chippy , dirty game and hope we retaliate and we did

How a series can change in a hurry

I would expect the GENS and the Petes will both be pleading their case with Fridays hits by the Petes on Pesching and later head shot on Van de Somple - then Petes slewfoot - now 1 by Gens Laughton - 4 possible things to review

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:57 pm

The Refs last night where brutal in every way.
First off I'm obviously a Gens fan, and I'm not defending the dirty play of the Pete's in games 1 & 2 but Lizotte did not Slew foot Dundas. I saw it live and again on TV, live it did look like a bit of a slew foot, on TV Dundas merley tripped on the guys leg, there was no slew foot.

Laughton, what he did was stupid. He's a repeat offender an will likely get between 3-5 games because of that. If not for him being a repeat offender it would probably 2-3 games. It was just not necessary. Very stupid play. However it being the playoffs and the importance of the games the suspension should be shorter then if this was the regular season.

Matt Spencer should have been suspended for at least one game for the cross-check on Vande Sompel, the fact he wasn't and throughout the season guys where suspended for 10 games for less is disgusting. Same goes for Ritchie it was a clear head shot on Petschenig, heck it was even called a 2 minute head shot penalty. Guys where getting suspended 10 games for the same hits all season.

If he happens to be suspended say today or tomorrow for however many games, it's still ridiculous that the OHL
Lets these guys play in a playoff game before suspending them. Like really it takes 10 minutes to watch the replay a few times and decide if it was a legal or illegal hit. An another what 10 minutes to call an inform the Pete's these guys have been suspended.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeyguy Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Macker88: "Matt Spencer should have been suspended for at least one game for the cross-check on Vande Sompel, the fact he wasn't and throughout the season guys where suspended for 10 games for less is disgusting. "

I thought Spencer just hit him high as a result of Cornel nudging Vandersompel  from behind? Maybe     I'm thinking of a different play but I do not remember a cross-check. Laughton get three games suspension and Lizotte one.

hockeyguy

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2014-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Well... He gets 3 games. Honestly I thought 2 or less so I would assume that the extra game is for his prior history. Hopefully the boys rally around his absence.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:55 am

He did it again, last year put us behind the 8 ball with a suspension against Barrie not to say we would of won that series with Scott but may made it more of a series, and now 3 games for doing something stupid again that there was no need for, the Pete's are a little weaker than the Colts were and we SHOULD still win the series but it was no need for letting the team down and the fans on a stupid suspension, and Scott was doing so great this season on stupid penalties, Lets go Gens do it for the Fans beat the Pete's.
GO GEN'S Go
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:10 pm

I agree Steamed , very stupid and selfish on Scotts part , he may be frustrated , cuz his numbers are not their so far , but that's no way to express yourself , i hope he got an earful for COACH SMITH . even Dundas has shown more discipline !

Historically we haven't done so well without him in the lineup , time will tell ?

Cassells will have to really step up !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down