Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Draft next week who..

+5
oshgens2k2
darmitage
StingRay5
jaycro
steamed
9 posters

Go down

Draft next week who.. Empty Draft next week who..

Post by steamed Sun Apr 05, 2015 1:25 pm

As the Playoffs are among us there is the OHL draft happening next Saturday, who will the Gen's be drafting? I know we can't say the name as we have the 21st pick but what position you think they be looking @ to fill with there 1st pick? the Gens going to say that there going to take the best player available (duh)  I can see they will be taking an centre but not necessary he will be playing that position. We don't need to draft  a goalie as Twohey  drafted 3 in last years draft ( I think that move got him Fired as the GM)
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Draft next week who.. Empty Re: Draft next week who..

Post by jaycro Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:08 pm

This is a bad time for the draft. It would be better later in the year as the Gens do not have a 2nd or 3rd this year and no 2nd, 3rd or 4th next year. We really need to trade some '95s to fill those slots but we don't know who is returning next year and can't trade players actively playing right now, unless it's for "future considerations" which will become previously agreed upon players which probably is not allowed. The Petes have 3 2nds this year and and next year and would make a good trading partner. Love to pick up some of their 2nds and 3rds to assist with the giant re-build!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:54 pm

Good question steamed. My thoughts are they will take the most talented player left regardless of position. Also they will need to think about who they will possibly trade next year to restock the draft cupboard.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:55 pm

We did give up alot of draft picks over the years and few players but if the scout's did there job we should be okay next season with the players coming back and the players we drafted the last couple of years and next season we start trading some of our assets to recoup some draft picks,glad we did what we did as we had 3 great seasons look what Kingston, Peterborough done and still struggling to make the playoffs or to the 2nd rd
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by darmitage Sun Apr 05, 2015 3:56 pm

jaycro wrote:This is a bad time for the draft. It would be better later in the year as the Gens do not have a 2nd or 3rd this year and no 2nd, 3rd or 4th next year. We really need to trade some '95s to fill those slots but we don't know who is returning next year and can't trade players actively playing right now, unless it's for "future considerations" which will become previously agreed upon players which probably is not allowed.  The Petes have 3 2nds this year and and next year a
nd would make a good trading partner. Love to pick up some of their 2nds and 3rds to assist with the giant re-build!

we gave up way too much in draft picks for what help we are getting from the trade except Dakota Mermis he is doing great!maybe as we go deeper it will change
darmitage
darmitage

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:11 pm

we gave up way too much in draft picks for what help we are getting from the trade except Dakota Mermis he is doing great!maybe as we go deeper it will change[/quote]

I bought 3 lottery tickets for 6/49 and I got only a free ticket, I wish I knew the #'s for the jackpot Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:28 pm

Arnt we picking 19th in the first rd? Strome's brother will be available around there. High skilled forward would look good in a Generals uniform.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerfan1 Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:53 pm

oshgens2k2 wrote:Arnt we picking 19th in the first rd? Strome's brother will be available around there. High skilled forward would look good in a Generals uniform.

Nope 21st.... I've seen 2 mock drafts that have both guessed the Gens could take Mackenzie Entwistle from the Toronto Marlboros.
Tuckerfan1
Tuckerfan1

Number of posts : 59
Seat Section : 101
Registration date : 2014-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:53 pm

oshgens2k2 wrote:Arnt we picking 19th in the first rd? Strome's brother will be available around there. High skilled forward would look good in a Generals uniform.

Yeah we would of but the are two teams that are getting companion picks that there 1st rounder's didn't show up to the team that drafted team I think one of the teams were Owen Sound, so we are 21st and SSM are 22nd
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:55 pm

I really don't think the Gennies have a shot at Strome...probably gone in the top 15. The Gens will have to take a shot in the dark at some hidden gem in the States a la Cassels to find an impact player.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Apr 05, 2015 8:10 pm

Strome will likely go to Niagara or Erie as this is were his brother plays or play, should maybe go higher but told teams he won't report if I was say Sudbury draft him then trade him for a crap load of players & draft picks plus a compensation pick
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:51 am

Maybe take a D due to all three OAs now being D. Of course we lose a lot up front too, but most of potential OAs are Fwds. Latour, Wallace, Smith, Turner possible options.

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:27 pm

ok I have to chime in here , you guys who are complaint about giving up the draft picks for Mccarron, Mermis , Mistele , Pederson , they all have contributed big time in my view , we wouldn't be where we are without them in fact , with suspensions , etc , they have provided a lot of depth .

Mccarron contributes in many ways not just scoring , Mistele has had some big goals lately and PEDERSON also works very hard in the forecheck . Mermis was huge when Petshenig was suspended .

Smith injury and suspension , Dalcolle funks , which he goes into on a regular basis !!!

Depth is key , we would be screwed without it

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:39 pm

I agree the pick ups were worth it. You are always going to have people second guessing moves. I'm not. We went for it this year. It's been since 1997 since we we had a team like this. Enjoy it.

As far as the draft we will get a good player at 21 and we will acquire one or two other first rds from other teams when mdc and others are moved next January.

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2015 8:19 am

jaycro wrote:I really don't think the Gennies have a shot at Strome...probably gone in the top 15. The Gens will have to take a shot in the dark at some hidden gem in the States a la Cassels to find an impact player.

I suspect if he is still around by the 17th pick then Niagara will take Matt Strome. The Strome family were welcome entities in Niagara with Ryan being captain his last year and even Dylan got a warm reception as a result.

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:49 pm

Then next January when we trade mdc we would want strome as part of that deal. Just thinking ahead

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:06 pm

it would be ideal to get somebody drafted in the first round this year plus some 2nd's. It usually doesn't happen although we did trade Pu...
We are most likely going to get 3- 5 2nds for MDC if he returns.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:14 pm

But that's too late to help this year. We need a 2nd and a 3rd by Saturday. The rebuild needs to start in September not a year from then!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:57 pm

Let's enjoy this run. If we go to the ohl final or mem cup you won't be talking about draft picks. Next year we will recoup picks and still will be competitive IMO

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:23 pm

Over the next two days, picks can be traded among teams. Today we saw Saginaw trade a 3rd round pick in 2015 to the Niagara IceDogs for a 3rd round pick in 2016 and a 3rd round pick in 2017. Considering the Generals have no 2nds until 2021... I believe and probably just as few third round picks, a deal similar to the one we saw today is probably tougher to achieve, however there is opportunity to to acquire picks.

As far as who the Generals could target with their 21st Overall pick, in my two Mocks I've done so far I have Toronto Marlies Centre McKenzie Entwistle going to the Generals. Entwistle is a 6'1, 150 pound centre who has impressive physical attributes. He skates well for a big bodied player, engages physically, strong compete level. Entwistle possesses an excellent shot, quick release and deceptively good hands. He can play in an offensive or checking role, shows intelligence and leadership qualities. Don Mills Flyers Captain Brett Neumman seems to be slipping down the draft charts, he could slip to the Generals, very smart, cerebral player, low risk pick, he'll contribute in a meaningful way at the OHL level. Simon Boyko of the Toronto Jr. Canadiens may be an option, I have him as an early 2nd rounder, pure goal scorer with excellent offensive upside, size may be a concern. Should the Generals go with a defenseman, Jakob Brahaney, Evan Bouchard, Elijah Roberts, Reilly Webb and Robert Proner are options. However Evan Bouchard is quickly rising up the draft charts, while Reilly Webb and Robert Proner would have to slip some to get to the Generals.

As far as what route I believe the Generals should go, I'm all for adding a forward. With Petschenig back as an OA, Vande Sompel and Desrocher returning and Templeton to play a bigger role the top 4 is actually half decent for a club who's going to be rebuilding. Throw in Riley Stillman and Daniel Robertson and the back end will be sufficient. Also Dawson Shackleton who played this season with Milton of the OPJHL could crack the squad. For those who mentioned Strome as a potential pick, while I don't see him as impactful as Ryan or Dylan he will be a first round pick, he will be impactful, but he won't get to the Generals. If he gets past the two first round Niagara picks, he will go to Erie.

Here's a link to both Mock Drafts as well as my April OHL Draft Rankings,
http://overtimesportsnation.com/ohl-mock-draft-1-0/ - Mock 1.0
http://overtimesportsnation.com/ohl-mock-draft-2-0/ - Mock 2.0
http://overtimesportsnation.com/2015-ohl-draft-top-15-april-rankings/

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down