Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Goaltending

+2
steamed
archer_gens
6 posters

Go down

Goaltending Empty Goaltending

Post by archer_gens Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:56 pm

For those hoping we had a backup in the system that could win us some games, I was one of them. Not a good start.

Raiders romp past Trappers — PHOTO GALLERY
By JORDAN ERCIT THE NUGGET
Updated 1 hour ago

Kenny Appleby got a rough welcome to the junior hockey world.

The Nepean Raiders of the Ottawa Valley-based CCHL touched the local Oshawa Generals prospect for five goals in the first 30 minutes of regulation as the Raiders skated to a 6-1 win over the North Bay Trappers in junior 'A' exhibition action Saturday night at Memorial Gardens.

Keenan Hodgson scored a natural hat trick for Nepean and goaltender Daniel Altshuller, a national under-18 team camp invitee, made 25 saves while playing the entire 60 minutes in net.

Logan Giesbrecht, Mac Weegar and Ken Neil also scored for the Raiders.

Forward Ryan West replied with the lone Trappers goal at 3:14 in the second period to cut the Raiders' lead to 3-1.

Trappers head coach Tom McCarthy believes fatigue was his team's biggest enemy Saturday after four days of practice and a pair of exhibition games to start the season. The Trappers opened camp Monday, compared to the Raiders, who broke camp 17 days earlier on Aug. 5.

"Hopefully today was the day we get over the hump," McCarthy said. "Obviously it shows we have a lot of work to do condition wise, positioning wise and where we're at, I wouldn't expect any different after the work ethic they put in this week."

Appleby, a product of the midget 'AAA' Trappers, stopped 21 of 26 shots as the Raiders jumped all over the hosts in the first period. Thomas Graham turned aside 15 of 16 shots in relief of Appleby, who will attend the Generals' OHL training camp starting Wednesday.

The Trappers have a day of rest Sunday before returning to practice Monday ahead of Friday's exhibition game at Memorial Gardens against the defending RBC Cup champion Pembroke Lumber Kings, who beat the Trappers 5-2 Friday night in Pembroke.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Goaltending Empty Re: Goaltending

Post by steamed Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:35 pm

We don't even have a starting goaltender.. Laughing

steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:43 pm

^ This.

Having said that, I would never expect anyone to just jump into OHL level hockey as a goalie and really succeed. It is such a jump for goalies, and I find it next to impossible to really get a gauge of whos going to hit it big and whos going to fizzle when it comes to these young goalies. I thought Bailie looked great his first camp, so there you go.

I don't even really bother focusing on goalies at the scrimmages anymore, since they level of competition for them I find is really low. I think everyone knows what we need is a goalie. Problem is we will have to give up something significant for one i'm sure. Maybe Bo Bessette(sp) is developed enough to win us a few?

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:20 pm

I was just hoping for a little more from a 2nd round pick. Especially at a lower level of hockey. Maybe he can shake off some rust from a summer of downtime and will be much better.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:18 am

archer_gens wrote:I was just hoping for a little more from a 2nd round pick. Especially at a lower level of hockey. Maybe he can shake off some rust from a summer of downtime and will be much better.

That is what concerns me. That he got shelled at a lower level. It is only one game, although I don't think too many people have a lot of patience for shoddy goaltending this year. I know I really don't. Having said that, letting in 6 he could probably still give Bailie a run. Not a good thing.

JPH

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:31 am

I was hoping him and Bessette could compete for the back up roll the first few weeks while we found a goalie to trade for. But i guess Bailie and Bessette can compete for the backup roll.

But hey come on guys prove me wrong, I'd love it if any of our goalies came to camp with the fire, skill and determination of a # 1
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:10 pm

Seems like the guy we need is Altshuller.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by opinionated Tue Aug 30, 2011 5:53 pm

And we got him. And for a bunch of draft picks, it seems.

But since we didn't dump a goalie in the deal, is there going to be a huge competition in camp for the back-up spot?

opinionated

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:08 pm

IF this guy is the real deal (and it appears he very well is) Bailie is realllllllly going to have to impress, to stay on as a backup, IMHO. He could very well get bounced with a (potential) legit number 1 here now. I'll let them play some games before I get too involved in who may go where, but pressure is on Bailie more than the others I'm sure.

JPH

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:25 pm

Good call croc!!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Good gravy we pay high for draft picks who don't report! That's pretty much what we paid for Lessio and he was a top 10; Altshuller was a 3rd round, I think! Idon't believe the Gens have a 2nd for the next 3 years and are missing some, if not all their 3rds! Whoa!

Last edited by jaycro on Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by JPH Tue Aug 30, 2011 6:39 pm

Atshuller was a third, and Bailie was a first round. I feel the grey area surrounding where you are drafted vs how good you are to be pretty foggy with goalies. Atshuller is leaps and bounds over Bailie and hes probably still on a bus to Oshawa.

I would imagine grabbing an OA/more experienced O goalie would result in us giving up roster players. People on here were quick to cry out at the remote possibility of Laughton leaving the team, as was one rumour for Morrison. Cody Payne was another name. I'd like to keep those guys, as many others here.

This trade being a good one (obviously) hangs entirely on Atshuller really dominating in goal for us. Time will tell. I have a good feeling, but that could just be the fact we have someone new.

JPH

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum