Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gens vs Fronts

+2
Gens Camper
mcintyre
6 posters

Go down

Gens vs Fronts Empty Gens vs Fronts

Post by mcintyre Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:39 am

Well...all I can say is I am glad the exhibition season is over!

First off...congrats to the Pickering Hockey Association...they worked really hard on last nights game experience....well done..

Here are my observations and you may (or may not) agree but thats ok!

On Kingston...remember the name Lawson Crouse...this kid is gonna be a player. Pro shot, pro size, pro power forward! I stood with a few scouts that are already frothing over this kid.

Last night nothing went well...Alts got off to a bad start but that was a mulligan after coming back from Carolina camp. Our d zone coverage was bad as Fronts forwards found holes and buried their opportunities.

Now as for our Gens....we saw a bunch rookies get a lot of exhibition game ice time but as things went along you see that they need until Christmas before they are real OHL players.

After an underwhelming pre-season I bet DC is looking forward to playing on a line with some play makers like Cassels and Latour...Hunter Smith can bang in rebounds but he is not the guy to play with DC long term.

I am going to take a crack at the lines/roles....using what we have right now...I still think a big trade is not out of the question to get a real Top 6 scorer..

DC Cassels Latour
Manchurek Hughes Smith
Lloyd Harding Dundas
Wallace McDade Hore

Bueller, Busch

Smith and Dundas will flip if Smith doesn't score out of the gate
Hughes and Harding will flip as the season goes along but Harding should start out on the 3rd line
Lloyd and Wallace can flip back and forth based on production

D-pairings

Brown Vande Sompel
Carlisle Kuronen
Petschnig Desrochers
Hamilton

Desrochers is signed so he is staying
Hamilton will see ice time this year as a D but can be used upfront when needed.

Robichaud has been released

I hope the next week is spent on playing a tight defensive game..we're gonna need it!

mcintyre

Number of posts : 118
Registration date : 2012-08-06

Back to top Go down

Gens vs Fronts Empty Gens vs Fronts

Post by Gens Camper Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:21 pm

The Fronts - I feel barring injuries will look more the the GENS of last year lots of firepower and better power play

On the other hand this years GENS must over achieve in order to make the playoffs

Laughton - I think will return - the flyers are over the cap and are trying to sign Cleary

So why burn a year of Laughton's future for spot duty - He needs to return and show leadership of this young team

The line up that you suggest may not be far off - But does not show any fear for the rest of the OHL

Also why else would they put the Russia vs OHL stars at the GMC - this game is a hard sell BUT with no Gens

a much harder sell

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Gens vs Fronts Empty Re: Gens vs Fronts

Post by Macker88 Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:43 pm

I also thought that Pickering did a great job of hosting the game last night. Probably the best of the 3 games that where played in Durham. Although easily the worst game played by the Gens all pre season. I think this had to do with the Generals going with a lot of rookies last night and giving them all a ton of ice time.
For Kingston, Wow they have a ton of young talent. Bennett and Watson are outstanding together. I was also very impressed with Crouse, he's got top NHL pick written all over him. Big, skates well, plays physical and can score. He looked like one of the best players on the ice. I was also impressed with Pawley, hes small an shifty but is gonna have a big year if he plays with Bennett and Watson.
Anyways back to the Generals.
Altshuller let in 7, but the defensive had several breakdowns, where out of position lots, and just absolutely left him out there hanging. I feel he only had a shot to stop one of the 7 that went in. Defensively, Desrochers played alot better then vs Peterborough. He'll still be the 7th d man an find it hard to crack the lineup. Vande Sompel played a lot better last night, had 2 points, although I have to admit his goal was pretty fluky. None the less a better outing. Again Sullentrop was the best D for the Gens and that should be expected. Really liking Kuronen although he telegraphs a lot of passes and they get picked off.
Up front, Dal Colle was the best forward again, although he really didn't do much. If Laughton's back he'll really help Dal Colle thrive. McDade looked pretty solid, I can see him having a strong second half once he's more accustomed to the OHL game. Manchurek i was surprised to see fight, but he held his own, I think he'll be a key guy going forward, he seems to have that good offensive instinct. The Generals played pretty poorly so know one really stood out. Although I think Harrison played his way off the team, I was watching DJ's reaction when he was out there an he had that look on his face, it was like shit i want this kid to do well but he really cant play in the OHL. I ripped on Hore the other night, he did play better last night, but in reality he does nothing.

I'm hearing the Flyers are likely to send Laughton back unless he has an overly impressive camp. Holmgren said he'd like to see him play for Canada at the World Juniors. So here's my updated lines.

Dal Colle - Laughton - Latour
Manchurek - Cassels - McDade
Dundas - Hughes - Harding
Lloyd - Wallace - Smith
Buehler - Busch

Sullentrop - Carlisle
Kuronen - Brown
Vande Sompel - Peteshening
Desrocher - Hamitlon

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by alsorans Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:09 pm

I think what we all must remember that this year unless Laughton comes back we don't have any General with an entry level contract. Last year we had five, Jenner, Lessio, Sabourin, Biggs, and Laughton. So we must clearly remember that this is indeed a rebuild year. We also have to remember to realise that the rookies will be rookies and will indeed have growing pains which will include mistakes. We have to be patient with these guys and give them the ice time to develope. I am hoping we can slip into the playoffs just to give this young team some playoff expierience. So it will be a tough season but hopfully DJ can bring out some magic with this team.

alsorans

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2013-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:18 pm

alsorans wrote:I think what we all must remember that this year unless Laughton comes back we don't have any General with an entry level contract. Last year we had five, Jenner, Lessio, Sabourin, Biggs, and Laughton. So we must clearly remember that this is indeed a rebuild year. We also have to remember to realise that the rookies will be rookies and will indeed have growing pains which will include mistakes. We have to be patient with these guys and give them the ice time to develope. I am hoping we can slip into the playoffs just to give this young team some playoff expierience. So it will be a tough season but hopfully DJ can bring out some magic with this team.

A good first post cheers 
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:01 pm

I take this year as a it is what it is and hope to see some development and some pleasant surprises. Not expecting anything like the last 2 years.

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down