Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

just exactly WHAT are the arena rules?

+5
Macker88
archer_gens
steamed
kenner60981
Phoenix
9 posters

Go down

just exactly WHAT are the arena rules? Empty just exactly WHAT are the arena rules?

Post by Phoenix Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:10 pm

Near the end of the 2nd period tonight, the usher came down and advised us that we were NOT to bang on the glass. We have been expressing pleasure & displeasure in this way for more than 20 years & it never seemed to be a problem until tonight. We have never been warned to stop doing this ever before.

Sooooooo, is it or is it not ok to bang on the glss at the GM Centre?

Phoenix

Number of posts : 176
Seat Section : 120
Registration date : 2007-04-24

Back to top Go down

just exactly WHAT are the arena rules? Empty Re: just exactly WHAT are the arena rules?

Post by kenner60981 Mon Oct 07, 2013 6:30 am

I am always banging on the glass and have a security guard standing right in the aisle beside me. I have never been told to stop.Maybe a new usher?

kenner60981

Number of posts : 66
Seat Section : on the glass 110
Registration date : 2007-11-15

Back to top Go down

just exactly WHAT are the arena rules? Empty Re: just exactly WHAT are the arena rules?

Post by steamed Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:06 am

It must depend on the usher at your section,in my section one usher dosn't let people down the isle till there is a stoppage in play and yet the other usher dosn't care and allows people to go down the isle anytime.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:18 am

We also thought "new overly enthusiastic new usher" and mostly laughed her off (politely). But at the end of the game when she came down, and we were applauding & banging on the glass, she called my husband "a jerk" & then moved to the next section. I think this was rude and uncalled for & I'm trying to decide if I should complain to arena management

Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:10 am

Phoenix wrote:We also thought "new overly enthusiastic new usher" and mostly laughed her off (politely). But at the end of the game when she came down, and we were applauding & banging on the glass, she called my husband "a jerk" & then moved to the next section. I think this was rude and uncalled for & I'm trying to decide if I should complain to arena management
I think you should there is no need for name calling.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:31 am

The answer is sort of both, at least as I understand it.

I had this same issue two season ago, and when I contacted the team I was told it was fine to bang on the glass as long as it was tasteful (not there words but I don't have the email to remember how it was phrased). If you have any concerns I suggest talking to a member of the Generals staff and not a member of the arena staff.

The Ushers and Security are part time and some work multiple events at multiple venues and they are for the most part just doing there jobs.

That being said after consulting with the Generals about whether I was still allowed to bang on the glass the same Usher approached me at another game. I very nicely told her that when I paid my 1000$ I was told that I could bang on the glass as long as it was not done obnoxiously, I also said that if there was an issue with this I would like to see a copy of the policy telling me I was in violation of the rules.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:12 am

I find it funny that they're saying you cannot bang on the glass to sure displeasure or to cheer for the generals. For years an years this has happened in hockey arenas, it's common to see an it doesn't bother anyone, unless it's done in an extremely obnoxious fashion. The ushers should really focus on other things. I mean it's not like banging on the glass is gonna damage the glass,
90mph hockey pucks fly into them and 200 pound men hurl their bodies into them. I understand some people take their jobs extremely seriously, but there's also the ushers that abuse there position of power I guess you could call it. Bottom line is this is a hockey rink, this happens at hockey rinks. I often here young adults chirping opposing teams dropping f bombs all of the place with children around an the ushers just seem to ignore that.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:04 pm

since a fan went right through the glass banging on it several rinks have cracked down

so yes banging the glass can damage it if done incorrectly
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Tue Oct 08, 2013 6:01 pm

Rules do depend on whether the usher is new or whether the offending fan is a JERK. Waiting until there is a stoppage in play until returning to your seat.....Priceless. And then there was the dumb blonde in section 119 who stood up in front of others to make a cell phone call when the play was around the opposition net in front of that section. #1 star and #2 star her boyfriend who threatened to beat people up who complained about her thoughtlessness. Did they have any children do you know?( Season was 2011-2012).

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:44 pm

LMFAO, @ "#1 star and #2 star her boyfriend who threatened to beat people up who complained about her thoughtlessness."

I WOULD HAVE GLADLLY TOLD HER TO SIT THE EF DOWN AND THEN TURNED TO HER BOYFREIND AND GLADLLY ACCEPTED HIS INVITE AND TOSSED HIS AR$E ON THE ICE!!!!

Back to top Go down

just exactly WHAT are the arena rules? Empty Just exactly what are the rules in the arena

Post by Phoenix Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:45 pm

I just today received a reply to my email asking about the rules as pertaining to fans banging on the glass.  Here's what I got:

To answer your question the rule in the arena is no banging on the glass. It isn’t really something we can have as a discretionary call as it is a health and safety concern. Industry wide we have seen pieces of glass have break and become dislodged as a result of many different causes so we try to eliminate as many of those as possible (for example fans banging and leaning on the glass). I understand that it isn’t always enforced across the board which is something we are always working on with our staff.

As for the way you were spoken to, I promise to follow up with the staff about this and carry out any discipline that I deem necessary.

Thanks for your feedback and see you at the rink.

Jeremy

Any thoughts?

Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:51 pm

sorry I've never spoken to Jeremy before who is he?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Phoenix Mon Oct 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Jeremy Giles, Event & Fan Services Manager

Phoenix

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddieboogs Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:21 pm

Banging on the glass (with your hand and not an object) should be and has been part of hockey since forever. The energy from a noisy rink is directly transferred to the energy in the players and the excitement that follows. As far as banging on the glass being a "safety and health concern"...what about the times in our section that the glass fell out by hits along the boards (at least 5-6 times through 2012-2013 season). If Global Spectrum is truly concerned about health and safety, how about taking care in replacing the glass properly so that it is secured properly. Maybe the real answer to their concern should be to not allow any patrons to sit behind the glass. Are the health and safety concerns of the patrons not being considered? Does the glass break in arenas? The answer of coarse is yes. But I have never heard of anyone breaking glass by banging on the glass with their open palms.  If the glass falls out and breaks, is that the fan's fault or shoddy workmanship? Maybe defective or inferior glass is being purchased??? It would seem that all this is really about toning down the crowd in an already moderately quiet arena. Well maybe the next step to making the arena more quiet will be to stop the noise pollution from the bells and music and horns from the fans. Oh yeah...maybe give the referees some flags and take away the whistles. JUST MY RANT!

Eddieboogs

Number of posts : 5
Seat Section : Section 120, Row 2
Registration date : 2011-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:57 pm

I have seen a fan go through the glass, they were putting there entire bodys force behind it and it was one of those side panes of glass that shatter more easily.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sandman Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:39 am

The rules of the arena change on a year-to-year basis.

Air horns have been changed constantly. One year they will sell them in the store half way through the season they are banned. Then 2 years later they are available in the store again.

The arena has no clue what they are doing. What NHL arena does not allow fans banging on the glass? I would just keep doing it. If they want to kick me out I want to see written rules about this. Unless its stated in the code of conduct which I don't recall seeing it written, they can't do much. They can ask you to stop, but its still your discretion.

Sandman

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:59 pm

I think there may actually have been a bylaw with regard to horns at the Civic. Certainly they were banned there. I am not a fan of horns as they often do detract from others enjoyment of the game. Fan noise is important but it does not need to be artificial.

As to banging on the glass I am not at all sure that it has been part of hockey forever. Plexiglass certainly has not been. I don't recall that banging on the glass was a big deal or important at all in the past. I can certainly see that with the high glass panels now that banging could create a problem. I think if the arena management thinks there is a safety issue I expect they have the right to stop fans from doing it.

I would have thought that the longer threads on this forum might be about the Generals strong start. Instead the debate is over banging on the glass. I'm just saying.

For me I just want to cheer on the Gens to have good season with the occasional boo for poor officiating. I don't need a horn or bang on the glass to do that.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down