Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks

+7
oshgens2k2
Gens Camper
steamed
jaycro
WILLSPEN1966
JPH
Macker88
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks Empty Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks

Post by Macker88 Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:39 am

I can confirm the trade and amount of picks, just cannot confirm the round an year of picks. Hearing 3 2nd from '14 to '17 and one 3rd in there as well.

Steep steep price. Erie arguably now the team to beat.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks Empty Re: Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks

Post by JPH Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:45 am

If that ends up being Bellevilles return with all those 2nds, then wow.

JPH

Number of posts : 172
Seat Section : Somewhere in Section 119
Registration date : 2010-09-06

Back to top Go down

Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks Empty Re: Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks

Post by WILLSPEN1966 Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:21 am

Macker88 wrote:I can confirm the trade and amount of picks, just cannot confirm the round an year of picks. Hearing 3 2nd from '14 to '17 and one 3rd in there as well.

Steep steep price. Erie arguably now the team to beat.
Is the Generals GM asleep at the wheel?? Every team is trading and/or loading up and Twoohey is watching on the sidelines.
WILLSPEN1966
WILLSPEN1966

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2013-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:16 am

Typical Twohey! We would get the same or more for Laughton but we just lost our best potential trading partner. See my suggestion in the trade thread "time to do something'!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:59 am

And Erie still has two 2nds and two thirds next year and two 2nds in 2015! Hmmm! Way to go Sherry!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:15 am

jaycro wrote:Typical Twohey! We would get the same or more for Laughton but we just lost our best potential trading partner. See my suggestion in the trade  thread "time to do something'!

There are still other teams that will problably want load up ie: London & Guelph that the Gens can trade with thats if they want to be sellers or buyers. I'm not impressed what the Bulls got in return,and if Twohey got that for Laughton I would be pissed. Be patient there is still 5 weeks to the trading deadline.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 27, 2013 10:33 am

Remember steamed, you are trading for a player for 3-4 months. They are not coming back next year. In return you are getting a player for 2 -3 years and a basis to re-build.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks Empty Gaunce to Erie - love the move

Post by Gens Camper Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:28 am

I stated in another post earlier that Erie would go for Gaunce and the reason he is not here in Oshawa - SIMPLE

Do any of you not think the asking price from George was higher than it was in Erie

Also I would not want to see the future Bulls improved at our expense.

If a deal makes sense it will happen and the BUlls got more from Erie than they could of got from us.

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:37 am

Just my opinion here. Belleville did alright with two seconds and a player that May or May not pan out. It really cost Erie nothing. Harper was down in their depth chart and they gave up a third of their own. Ottawa's second rd puck has value but London's will be almost a third rd pick. So Belleville did well for a player to me didn't look that great this year and was only playing with them for a few more months. Erie adds a veteran player to compliment there inexperienced team for a player and a third rd pick. The other picks weren't theirs originally anyway and they still have multiple picks of their own in next couple years.

As I said before a top 6 forward and another defenseman gets us to the ohl final in my opinion. We have the goaltending, team chemistry, team defense, coaching to get there. Would you trade vande sompel, 2016,2017 seconds for rychel from Windsor?

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:38 am

jaycro wrote:Remember steamed, you are trading for a player for 3-4 months. They are not coming back next year. In return you are getting a player for 2 -3 years and a basis to re-build.
I know what your saying but I think the Gen's brass are mulling it over to buy or sell,and the trade that the bulls made only put up the value of Laughton, if the Gen's decide to sell, the Gen's are in a good postion that they may not have to give up to much to get something if they decide to be buyers, an OA spot open and a Euro player and if Artur Gavrus decides to come back from europe to the O he Generals property.Very Happy 
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:48 am

steamed wrote:
jaycro wrote:Remember steamed, you are trading for a player for 3-4 months. They are not coming back next year. In return you are getting a player for 2 -3 years and a basis to re-build.
I know what your saying but I think the Gen's brass are mulling it over to buy or sell,and the trade that the bulls made only put up the value of Laughton, if the Gen's decide to sell, the Gen's are in a good postion that they may not have to give up to much to get something if they decide to be buyers, an OA spot open and a Euro player and if Artur Gavrus decides to come back from europe to the O he Generals property.Very Happy 
As mentioned by myself before, I don't think trading Laughton is the right move this year. I believe the best thing they can do this year is add as much as they can this year for a run. Next year, you trade Dal Colle for a boat load and rebuild. You also have the possibility of Altshuller being back for an OA season and he would be a sought after goaltender. You've got Appleby and the possibility of a Brodeur to be in Oshawa next year so you should be ok between the pipes. Go for it this year, and restock next year.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:00 pm

I agree with KHE . This is the year that we can win the east. The west will beat each other up in the playoffs and you know the hunters want to come in the front door . Next year dalcolle can get you a nice haul. Maybe cassels too. Our young guys are developing nicely this year so far.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks Empty Not sure why some of you want to trade Mitchell Vande Sompel

Post by Gens Camper Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:54 pm

This would set this franchise back 3 years - Do any of you remember the worst trade in years with Windsor when we traded away a 16 yr old

Justin Shugg who only played in 3 Memorial Cups after he left Oshawa - you NEVER trade away a  1 st round 16 yr old EVER

Selected by Carolina Hurricanes round 4 #105 overall 2010 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season ---  ---- Playoffs ----
Season   Team                        Lge    GP    G    A  Pts  PIM  GP   G   A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007-08  Oshawa Generals             OHL    38    4   10   14   10  --  --  --  --  --
2007-08  Windsor Spitfires           OHL    23    0    3    3    2   3   0   0   0   0
2008-09  Windsor Spitfires           OHL    68   17   16   33   48  20   5   4   9  16
2009-10  Windsor Spitfires           OHL    67   39   40   79   43  18   5  10  15  10
2010-11  Mississauga St. Michael's   OHL    66   41   46   87   43  20  10   9  19  14

Justin had 33 pts then 79 pts then 87 pts in Oshawa as a 16 yr old he saw limited ice

Not too bad after he left Oshawa over 200 points PLUS over 40 play off points

Last edited by Gens Camper on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:59 pm; edited 3 times in total

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 27, 2013 12:55 pm

No argument with those of you above who want to go for it this year BUT as the team now stands the Gens cannot compete with Erie's, London's or Guelph's firepower up front nor with the defences in Guelph or London. As stated above, we could upgrade but as I have often stated, we could not offer as much as Erie as we don't have the picks. I wouldn't have wanted Gaunce anyway. Much prefer Hartman who is more of a warrior; Gaunce does not have the competitivenss at times. If we got those two and Gavrus or Biggs showed up we'd be set to go to war!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:00 pm

Generally agree with you Gens Camper but Shugg was not a good first round pick. He looked disinterested when he was here and I don't remember him doing too much his first two years in Windsor. He happened to land on a strong team. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm going to try to find his stats now.

Last edited by jaycro on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Gaunce to the Otters for Stephen Harper and 4 draft picks Empty Shugg ???

Post by Gens Camper Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 pm

He did not have much of a chance as a rookie - Mitchell - MacLean - Tavares

Also I believe he was traded for  few picks after he left Oshawa

Selected by Carolina Hurricanes round 4 #105 overall 2010 NHL Entry Draft

--- Regular Season --- ---- Playoffs ----
Season Team Lge GP G A Pts PIM GP G A Pts PIM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2007-08 Oshawa Generals OHL 38 4 10 14 10 -- -- -- -- --
2007-08 Windsor Spitfires OHL 23 0 3 3 2 3 0 0 0 0
2008-09 Windsor Spitfires OHL 68 17 16 33 48 20 5 4 9 16
2009-10 Windsor Spitfires OHL 67 39 40 79 43 18 5 10 15 10
2010-11 Mississauga St. Michael's OHL 66 41 46 87 43 20 10 9 19 14
2011-12 Florida Everblades ECHL 11 4 8 12 8 11 7 5 12 8

Last edited by Gens Camper on Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 pm

jaycro wrote:No argument with those of you above who want to go for it this year BUT as the team now stands the Gens cannot compete with Erie's, London's or Guelph's firepower up front nor with the defences in Guelph or London.
That's the point though, you don't have to compete with Erie, London or Guelph. You have to compete with Barrie and Kingston. Only one team from the Western conference is going to be in the OHL Finals and once it comes down to a 7 game series anything can happen in junior hockey. Those teams will be tough in the OHL Finals but as a fan who hasn't seen this team in a league Final since 1997 I'd take the chance. This team needs to see some success even if it's a loss in the OHL Finals. IF however London wins the west and Oshawa gets in the Memorial Cup the trade value of ALL of Oshawa's assets goes UP with the playoff and Memorial Cup experience.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:27 pm

Okay, KHE, I keep forgetting London is hosting this year and automatically qualify for the Mem Cup thus the finalist also qualifies. Guelph still scares me though and winning two rounds of playoffs does not justify going for it, in my opinion.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:38 pm

Altshuller coming back next year is a stretch, at this point its not even worth mentioning because I think the odds maybe be under 10% in my opinion. It will have more to do with Carolinas goaltending depth next year. They might even rather have him in the ECHL playing pro if no room at the AHL level.

Personally I like to see them go for it, but make the right trades this time. We've seen over the years getting some guys that didn't make a lot of sense. Last year is a great example, Karlsson, Dundas and McGuire. Didn't need to give up picks for these guys. Karlsson took minutes away from Will P. and I think that was a huge mistake, he is playing great this year and I think he had that in him last year given the chance. Also the year they got Neuvith, Baldwin, Sciacca, Kevin Baker, Asselin (good stats thou) is another example.

KHE wrote:
steamed wrote:
As mentioned by myself before, I don't think trading Laughton is the right move this year.  I believe the best thing they can do this year is add as much as they can this year for a run.  Next year, you trade Dal Colle for a boat load and rebuild.  You also have the possibility of Altshuller being back for an OA season and he would be a sought after goaltender.  You've got Appleby and the possibility of a Brodeur to be in Oshawa next year so you should be ok between the pipes.  Go for it this year, and restock next year.  

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:47 pm

jaycro wrote:Okay, KHE, I keep forgetting London is hosting this year and automatically qualify for the Mem Cup thus the finalist also qualifies. Guelph still scares me though and winning two rounds of playoffs does not justify going for it, in my opinion.
London dosn't automatically qualify for the Mem Cup They have to win the west in order for them to be in automatically.

Last edited by steamed on Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:20 pm

yes they do....londons hosting it so they do get in automatically,they dont have to win anything!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:25 pm

Only one team, named host didn't get in the Memorial Cup( 1990 Hamilton Redwings/steelhawks) London is in and they don't have to win the west, but, if they win the west then the eastern winner is the second team in the Memorial Cup. Regards to all, the Kingston Croc.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:26 pm

I was under the impression the 'host team' was an automatic qualifier and could get in the 'back door' so to speak. No?

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:33 pm

Opps sorry London automatically gets in as they are the host.don't know what I was thinking Embarassed
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:37 pm

A number of things have been posted since my first post stating that Gaunce had been traded, I'd like to gave my 2 cents on each topic.

The first being Twohey, Twohey does have a good track record in the OHL, dating back about 20 years. He has all the qualifications for the job. With that being said, his last few years in Peterborough and his first few years in Oshawa, he's really done nothing. It's like he's scared to make a move. I think he's living in the past and really isn't up to date on the way the league is moving. What I mean is, back in the day not as many 18, 19 year olds where leaving for the NHL or AHL, you had the same crop of players for a longer period. In these current times, when your team has a legit shot, you really have to go for it. An I really don't think he realizes it. If his goal is to be competitive every year... great. I'd love a competitive team every year, but I'd far prefer a team that won a Memorial cup and the next year was awful, as opposed to a team that consistently loses in the 2nd round year after year.

As far as next season goes, if we decide to keep Laughton and Altshuller around this season, there both without a doubt gone next season. Laughton will likely be in the NHL with the Flyers & Altshuller will be with the Charlotte Checkers of the AHL. Carolina's goaltending depth is non existent. After Cam Ward in the NHL they have Anton Khodobin backing up. In the AHL Justin Peters is on a one year contract and will be gone next season, Mike Murphy (former Belleville Bull) is currently splitting time with John Muse a former Boston College goalie who has bounced around the AHL and ECHL since 2010-2011. Murphy's contract also expires at the end of this season, and given the fact he's had 5 years in the AHL to prove himself its likely that contract is not renewed, especially with Altshuller on the horizon. Muse is on a try-out contract so he is a non factor. The other 2 goalies in the system are, Kingston starting goalie Matt Mahalak who was drafted in 2011 in the 6th round 163rd overall, and Collin Olson who was also drafted in the 6th round but in 2012, 159th overall. Olson is in his 2nd season at Ohio State so he likely will be sticking around in the NCAA for at least 1 more season if not 2. And Matt Mahalak is a prime candidate to toil in the ECHL with the Florida Everblades, as from watching him play the past few seasons, he is not ready for the AHL. In my opinion either Justin Peters or Mike Murphy will be given a one year contract and will split time with Altshuller in Charlotte next season.

As far as the Gaunce trade goes, I'm blown away by the return Belleville got. It's really not that outstanding. When you break it down for this year alone its Gaunce an a 5th (top 100 pick) for Harper and Ottawa's 2nd (which will be a top 25 pick). Sure they get Kingston's 3rd next year, but Kingston will likely be a top 4 team in the OHL, so that's basically a 4th, London's third in 16, again likely to be basically a 4th and Erie's 4th in 16. With Erie having all those 2nd round picks I'm absolutely shocked Burnett couldn't at least pry a 2nd, 2nd round pick out of Bassin. Harper is a bit of a flop of a 1st round pick. He did have a solid rookie campaign with 24 goals and 35 points in 63 games. But his sophomore season he dropped off a bit, goals wise as he dropped to 18, although he did put up 38 points. This season he has 14 points in 22 games.

I think we go for it this year, I've debated this with myself a number of times, But after looking at everything, I really think it makes a lot of sense. Keep Laughton, Altshuller, Sullentrop and add on. Next season trade Dal Colle and Cassels for sizeable hauls and rebuild for 2016. Dal Colle is going to be a top 5 pick in the NHL so its no sure thing he even returns next year, but if he does, can you imagine what the Gens would get in return for a top 5 pick who will likely be a key cog on Team Canada an a OHL top scorer. Even Josh Brown a Florida Panthers pick, he'll likely be back for an OA season, as Florida's defensive depth is pretty solid. He's an NHL draft pick, a top OHL defensemen, he'd bring in a pretty solid haul as well. It just makes sense to go for it this season, and next year sell off and build towards 2016 and potentially hosting the 2016-17 Memorial cup.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next