Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jeff Twohey gone

+14
ag48
KHE
jaycro
pointdexter
core33
mygens
Gens Camper
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
gmc 118
Macker88
opinionated
StingRay5
oshgens2k2
steamed
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Jeff Twohey gone Empty Jeff Twohey gone

Post by steamed Mon May 05, 2014 9:31 am

Jeff Twohey no longer GM of Oshawa Generals
Ontario Hockey League team finished first in conference this season
Jeff Twohey
This Week file photo

OSHAWA -- Jeff Twohey was hired as general manager of the Oshawa Generals in 2012.
next play/pause pre 1/1DurhamRegion.com
By Brian McNair
OSHAWA -- The Oshawa Generals and general manager Jeff Twohey have parted ways, according to reports.

CKDO is reporting this morning that Twohey is no longer with the Generals after spending the past two seasons as GM with the Ontario Hockey League team.

Under Twohey, the Generals finished third in the Eastern Conference last season and first this season.

Both seasons ended in a playoff sweep, at the hands of the Barrie Colts in the second round last season and to the North Bay Battalion in the conference final this season.

Twohey was responsible for the hiring of D.J. Smith, who was named the OHL coach of the year this season.

Twohey had previously spent 17 years as GM of the Peterborough Petes.

What the hell is going on ?  Crying or Very sad
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Jeff Twohey gone Empty Re: Jeff Twohey gone

Post by oshgens2k2 Mon May 05, 2014 10:25 am

What is going on here???? We don't want to go backwards again to the selwood/ Davies kind of days. It was reported all year how well this team got along both players and management. This better not be a tulio thing. This makes no sense right now. Somebody better explain and a difference of opinion can't be the reason ??????

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Mon May 05, 2014 10:42 am

What the hell?
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Mon May 05, 2014 10:58 am

Just saw a rumour Jeff is heading to Phoenix as assistant GM role.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 05, 2014 11:09 am

I also heard that he is going to a NHL club,and yeah Phoenix make sense as that's were  he was prior to the Gen's.
My predicition for the new GM is our very own Roger Hunt as he is already an assitant GM
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 05, 2014 12:13 pm

Rocco sticking is nose in it again  Mad 

Original quote from Jeff Twohey via @newsdurham said "I didn't leave on my own", seems it's already been deleted from story. #OHL #Generals
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by opinionated Mon May 05, 2014 3:00 pm

steamed wrote:Rocco sticking is nose in it again  Mad 

Original quote from Jeff Twohey via @newsdurham said "I didn't leave on my own", seems it's already been deleted from story. #OHL #Generals

From the Gens website - "The Oshawa Generals announced today that General Manager Jeff Twohey has resigned to pursue other opportunities and Assistant GM, Roger Hunt will become the acting General Manager."

Sounds like he left on his own. Perhaps the quote above was deleted from the story because it wasn't accurate?

opinionated

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon May 05, 2014 5:40 pm

If he wants to presue an opportunity in the NHL, well that's fine with me, everyone deserves a chance to move up in the hockey world, if they have the ability. If he was told to leave or he would be fired, then I'm in disbelief. I mean we didn't win an OHL title or Memorial Cup, but he's drafted well with the picks he's had, made some smart trades, hired a coach that just won coach of the year and the team improved from the previous year, each year he was here.
Either way, good luck to him. An I'm fairly confident in Roger Hunt going forward.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by gmc 118 Mon May 05, 2014 7:07 pm

I find it hard to think Jeff left on his own. I read a link early today where twohey stated I was relieved of my duties and did not leave on my own. Sounds to me like problems behind closed doors. Tulio sticking his nose in business after a few drinks, thinking he knows what to do.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Mon May 05, 2014 11:00 pm

I ran into a owner in the OHL on Friday at the golf club for dinner. He told me Jeff was relieved of his duties Friday morning and was not taking any calls . This owner was very surprised

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue May 06, 2014 12:15 am

Sad day in Generals land - If you found a better GIG - Good Luck Jeff

I am sorry to hear you are leaving

Next - Roger Hunt has only been an Assistant G M for how long ???

You need an experienced G M to run an O H L team in todays time

PUT UP THE HELP WANTED SIGN - GET THE BEST AVAILABLE

Nothing against Roger BUT I want to move forward - the learning curve

takes time - ask Sellwood

look for D J to follow Jeff to an A H L job - then what

This is a mess

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue May 06, 2014 4:18 am

I've been complaining about this owner for a long time and even taken some heat for it from some of you Smile

we are going nowhere with this guy , wish we could get local ownership .

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Tue May 06, 2014 6:02 am

Okay now this is a joke. I've been a fan a long time, this is a terrible decision.

So if the owner didn't like him, why did he let him run the draft if he didn't trust him. Sounds rediculios to me.

Would like to know what Jeff did wrong.

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Tue May 06, 2014 11:51 am

Steve Simmons definately heard it was a firing.

Does not make sense at all.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Back to top Go down

Post by pointdexter Tue May 06, 2014 12:13 pm

Here's a rumour that I heard this morning, from someone who usually has reliable sources. Eric Lindros is coming to the Generals, as the new GM. As I say, just a rumour. Not sure how I would feel about that, if it's true.

Last edited by pointdexter on Tue May 06, 2014 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total

pointdexter

Number of posts : 35
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2008-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue May 06, 2014 1:50 pm

oh brother Lindros ? give me a break , why would we want someone with 0 experience , unless of your your Tulio Rocco , and just want to sell tickets , which lindros would do !

sadly don't think i'm going to be a season ticket holder for much longer ( since 1981 ) going to watch this carefully unfold , but i'm really getting tired of this

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm

I don't know anything about Roger Hunt other than he remains from the DePiero era and that was not good , to understate the point. I just hope whomever they hire has some cojones. I liked Twohey but he was always lacking the will to make the "big deals"! See Dale Degray in the Sound. Tis team is not going to be a serious contender the way it sits now! Sadness!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue May 06, 2014 2:00 pm

pointdexter wrote:Here's a rumour that I heard this morning, from someone who usually has reliable sources. Eric Lindros will coming to the Generals, as the new GM. As I say, just a rumour. Not sure how I would feel about that, if it's true.

Oh boy not Eric Lindros he come with baggage(his Mother) Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue May 06, 2014 2:07 pm

jaycro wrote:I don't know anything about Roger Hunt other than he remains from the DePiero era and that was not good , to understate the point. I just hope whomever they hire has some cojones. I liked Twohey but he was always lacking the will to make the "big deals"! See Dale Degray in the Sound. Tis team is not going to be a serious contender the way it sits now! Sadness!

Hear what your saying but when Twohey entered there was a lack of dept to make a trade due to the pass clowns that were incharge Laughing actually Roger was hired by Rocco to help Sellwood and DePiero do there jobs Rolling Eyes I think Roger will do okay as GM but Twohey sould not of been let go  Mad
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue May 06, 2014 2:15 pm

the problem is Rocco , any owner who runs around the arena telling his Pa guys to rev up the noise levels to his liking , tells you a little about how he is a micro manager , you can imagine how much he sticks his once in to everything , like he's the all knowledgeable one !

interfering owner , no doubt , wrong owner for us once again !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue May 06, 2014 3:35 pm

mygens wrote:the problem is Rocco , any owner who runs around the arena telling his Pa guys to rev up the noise levels to his liking , tells you a little about how he is a micro manager , you can imagine how much he sticks his once in to everything , like he's the all knowledgeable one !

interfering owner , no doubt , wrong owner for us once again !

I think Davis was a good owner and would of been if he hired the right staff but he hired the wrong staff to run the club.
I think  if he would of hired the coaching staff and GM what we had the last two seasons we would not be going thourgh this again  Crying or Very sad 

oh well us Gens fans should be use to this soap opera it's been on rerun the last 10 years  Rolling Eyes
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Tue May 06, 2014 3:37 pm

I'm really not sure what has happened here. I've read numerous things that tend to indicate that he was fired. The official press release on the other hand shows that he resigned. For a team to fire someone you need to have cause. I can't imagine the team would have cause to fire him however maybe I'm wrong. There's got to be more to the story here. If it is Rocco dipping his pen in the company ink I'm not a fan of it. I really don't care who owns the team, I care about how they play on the ice and the overall experience going to the games. I have no reason to think Rocco isn't a good owner however a situation like this makes me scratch my head. I hope it is cleared up soon as this doesn't make the club look very good to the rest of the league.

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue May 06, 2014 4:14 pm

WOW changes are really coming fast,Rocco just fired (let go) the offical Oshawa Generals site and hired a new and improve one  Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Tue May 06, 2014 8:31 pm

The more that comes out about this situation, the more of a head scratcher it is. I believe he was fired, he was probably asked to resign, but didn't want to, so the Public Relations guy/girl was told to put a spin on things in the press release.

My opinion on the situation is, an owner should never question his GM or Coaches, they are the one with the hockey knowledge, the owner is the one with the business experience.. Thus how they likely made their million. If you want a winning hockey team you hire a GM with tons of knowledge and a good plan going forward. You don't hire one who will cater to your every need.

If Rocco is blaming Twohey for the Gens playoff failures these past two seasons... He's an idiot. Plan an simple. Twohey inherited a mess in reality. He inherited a team missing several top pics, a team that hasn't exactly drafted well other then in the first round and a team that wasn't built by him. Sure he didn't make the big move at either deadline, but to me that was smart on his part. Sudbury acquired Carrick & Faksa an lost in round 1. We spent one 2015 2nd round pick on Lepkowski & Smoskowitz. Either way he knew we would be in tough again Erie or Guelph in the finals.. If we got there, an didn't wanna sell the farm. It was a smart move.

It's sad that he was fired for doing a good job.
If these rumours of Lindros coming in are true... what a complete joke !!! Loved Lindros as a player and he's a good person. But he hasn't been involved with hockey in anyway since retiring, what does he know about running an OHL club ? Plus how does he put butts in the seats, he's the GM he's up in a box or not even at the rink during games. Maybe if he was coming into coach it would help ticket sales.

Ill give Roger Hunt a vote of confidence for now, he deserves it, he didn't ask to be put in this position and he shouldn't be critized at this point.

Again in regards to Twohey, I believe any GM deserves 4-5 years to really show his talents an make his mark on an OHL team. Giving a guy 2 years is a joke. Even more of a joke considering he did a fantastic job. Twohey has loads of OHL experience and its a damn shame he was let go

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ag48 Tue May 06, 2014 9:34 pm

interesting Macker88 your comments regarding the owner of the Gens" He's an Idiot "that seems to be the sentiment of one "my gens" has been implying for some time now on this message board. Glad to see someone else is having the same thoughts. Just be careful "nerfherder" may take offense of you naming names and using strong words like "idiot".
This does seem kind of odd getting rid of the GM after such a good season. As far as Lindros is concerned if he is hired we will then all know that Rocco is not thinking of the season ticket holders and the future of this team.
Just my thoughts. Very Happy

ag48

Number of posts : 75
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next