Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gen's new coach?

4 posters

Go down

Gen's new coach? Empty Gen's new coach?

Post by steamed Mon May 19, 2014 12:11 pm

If the rumours are true now that DJ Smith and Paul McFarland will be leaving for other opportunities, who do you think or want as a coach?
My choice would be Bill Stewart an assistant in the Guelph Storm and once Gen's coach.
and just remember of my other predictions  Laughing
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Gen's new coach? Empty Re: Gen's new coach?

Post by jaycro Mon May 19, 2014 7:05 pm

I don't know if Stewart is allowed into the U.S. yet?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon May 19, 2014 7:06 pm

Jake Grimes from 'Da Bulls' ?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Mon May 19, 2014 8:47 pm

This team needs a top end coach and gm or we will be heading backwards again. There has to be an issue between owner and hockey staff here.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 19, 2014 8:51 pm

jaycro wrote:I don't know if Stewart is allowed into the U.S. yet?

Stewart is an assistant for Guelph and they do go to the U.S. to play Plymouth, Erie and Saginaw, now not being a follower of Guelph games I'm sure he travels with the team to U.S.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 19, 2014 8:54 pm

oshgens2k2 wrote:This team needs a top end coach and gm or we will be heading backwards again. There has to be an issue between owner and hockey staff here.

I think this issue was between Assistant GM Hunt and GM Twohey, and Rocco sided with Hunt  Suspect
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon May 19, 2014 9:09 pm

I believe that was the case as well. I have this feeling Hunt being on the bench game in an game out felt they needed a player or two with certain capabilities and Twohey probably felt differently. An when the Generals lost to North Bay this conversation was probably revisited and was suggested that had Twohey made the moves Hunt suggested the Generals could be in the OHL finals or memorial Cup. An I can see Rocco agreeing with Hunt and That Putting Twohey in a vulnerable position, knowing his owner trusts his assistant GM more then his GM.

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon May 19, 2014 9:12 pm

Macker88 wrote:I believe that was the case as well. I have this feeling Hunt being on the bench game in an game out felt they needed a player or two with certain capabilities and Twohey probably felt differently. An when the Generals lost to North Bay this conversation was probably revisited and was suggested that had Twohey made the moves Hunt suggested the Generals could be in the OHL finals or memorial Cup. An I can see Rocco agreeing with Hunt and That Putting Twohey in a vulnerable position, knowing his owner trusts his assistant GM more then his GM.

BINGO
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon May 19, 2014 9:27 pm

Glad you agree Steamed.
In all fairness to Twohey, yeah adding Koekkoek & Vail would have made the Generals a lot better but it would have cost is numerous 2nd & 3rd round picks, Vande Sompel, rights to Chase Pearson and Aidan Wallace.
This is a trade I recently heard was discussed at great length, and I personally am glad Twohey decided against it. As we likely still would not have beat Guelph in the OHL finals, so we would have been in the same position we are now but without Wallace, Vande Sompel & loads of draft picks.
If Hunt suggests we would have went to the Memorial Cup and should have made this deal, I'm nervous about the future trade deadlines, will he be willing to sell the farm for what if's and could be's

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Mon May 19, 2014 9:34 pm

I would have made a deal for ebert and rychel but that wasn't on the table so I'm happy we didn't lose our future when we all knew how strong the west was. I always wasn't sure I liked keeping hunt on from the old regime and the new guys must have felt the same. We can't go backwards here now. We need to bring in a winning coach to keep moving forward .

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon May 19, 2014 10:17 pm

If we could have got Ebert & Rychel for what the Storm gave up, I too would likely have made the trade. Especially because it would have kept them away from a strong Guelph team. Rychel's game along with leadership an character qualities alone are worth his price tag. It would of be interesting to see what Guelph would of done had the lost out on Rychel & Ebert. I know they had contact with Mississauga in regards to Trevor Carrick as well as with Windsor on Brady Vail. They where also in on MacDermid an Gemel Smith, but Owen Sound wanted young players over multiple picks.

I don't like when coaches are kept around when one staff is fired, I feel if your firing a staff you fire the whole staff or its hard to completely change the culture of the team, which is usually needed if your firing the coaching staff.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down