Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cliff Pu 's Future In The 'Shwa?

+8
nerfherder
Macker88
Gens Camper
mygens
Rinkrat
StingRay5
KHE
jaycro
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Cliff Pu 's Future In The 'Shwa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cliff Pu 's Future In The 'Shwa?

Post by mygens Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:07 am

WRT to Pu , I have to tell you lately the little I've seen of him his vision of the play has impressed me , he's young , if he wants to have a pro career , he will toughen up !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Cliff Pu 's Future In The 'Shwa? - Page 2 Empty Re: Cliff Pu 's Future In The 'Shwa?

Post by mygens Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:08 am

hes a marvelous skater for such a big young guy , id be shocked if he is traded .

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:25 am

Mygens, prepared to be shocked then. He will be traded jan 10. Heard he might not be fitting in. He seems to float around and not want to get involved in the right areas. If you want to win a championship then pu plus a couple seconds plus is what it will cost to acquire a nice piece .

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:18 pm

really ??? if thats the case what a fool , this team is going a long way , insider info i'm not privi to , well Pu plus a couple of seconds , better not be an overeager for that price

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:28 pm

Watch to see what Guelph or London do. If they are sellers then we might be buying from them. Although I like moutry from Saginaw for a pick up.

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Why would London be a seller? They are 8-2 in their last 10 and have been blowing out teams! Love to see Moutrey (only a '95) and Sean Callaghan for his size alone as a package. Mobility issues for the latter? Or Chapman? Don't know much about either except for what Macker has proferred.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:36 pm

Will London beat Erie or the Soo?? Don't think so so they need to sell. Just my opinion though.

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Sat Nov 29, 2014 11:36 am

It seemed like Cliff read this before the game last night. He played a lot stronger and even added some intensity to his game. Although still lots of areas of improvement he looked much better.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sat Nov 29, 2014 6:46 pm

As far as London being a contender, they are as much of a contender as Erie and the Soo. Erie and the Soo are deeper now, but London sitting in 3rd are bound to add. An from everything I've heard are actively looking to add.

Pu, he can have good games, his vision and offensive ability is never in question. It's his consistency and compete. When he puts it together he can be really good, when he doesn't he's very average, an largely uneffective

Macker88

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2012-11-16

http://everythingsports88.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Nov 30, 2014 5:45 pm

Nobody's more ineffective on the gens in relation to the amount he plays , than Harding

Coach obviously has lost confidence in Harding , as Have I quiet awhile. Ago , has vande Somple plsying. Centre

Harding has been giving lots of opportunity , not getting it done

Maybe the kid needs a change in scenarie ,

As far as trading away Pu ahead of Harding , not in this world

macker 88 !

As you say , give your head a shake Wink

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerfan1 Sun Nov 30, 2014 7:40 pm

mygens wrote:Nobody's more ineffective on the gens in relation to the amount he plays , than Harding

Coach obviously has lost confidence in Harding , as Have I quiet awhile. Ago , has vande Somple plsying. Centre

Harding has been giving lots of opportunity , not getting it done

Maybe the kid needs a change in scenarie ,

As far as trading away Pu ahead of Harding , not in this world

macker 88 !

As you say , give your head a shake Wink

Pu barely even played tonight. He was on the ice for MDC's first goal and then it seemed like he got 1 or 2 shifts in both the 2nd and 3rd periods. Harding was needed a lot tonight, with the amount of penalties the Gens were taking. I hate the thought of trading a prospect in their first year but as the season goes on, we need players that DJ is actually comfortable with using.
Tuckerfan1
Tuckerfan1

Number of posts : 59
Seat Section : 101
Registration date : 2014-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:17 pm

Mygens, you don't base a players play on his stats or if he's flashy, which you clearly do. Sam Harding is not ineffective at all, he's the Generals best defensive forward, and has the ability to contribute offensively. He simply doesn't fit well with Dal Colle and Sterk, where as Cirelli does. Harding is extremely effective in his role. He's so reliable defensively, a fantastic penalty killer, with a high level hockey IQ. He's a 1000 times more important to the Generals success this year, the Pu is.

Pu has a higher value because he was a 2014 1st round pick, although Harding is the better all around player. Pu has impressive offensive features to his game, which leave teams and fairweather fans impressed. He's not consistent, he's one dimensional and he's soft. Throw in the fact he's playing basically a 4th line role right now, he's the Gens biggest and best trade chip, simply because he was a 2014 1st round pick. If Pu got top 6 minutes he would definitely produce some more, but he would still have tons of holes to his game

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:47 pm

I second Macker here. Harding is worth much more than pu this year. Very responsible two way player. We don't expect the points from him just play against and shut down other teams top lines.

oshgens2k2

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:01 am

oshgens2k2 wrote:I second Macker here. Harding is worth much more than pu this year. Very responsible two way player. We don't expect the points from him just play against and shut down other teams top lines.

A 3rd for Macker and a seconder to oshgens. I like Pu but Harding contributes way more.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:32 am

Don't know how you guys can say Pu has no compete level , he's 16 years old , has more skill than Harding will ever have , we need Harding right now with Cassels out , but as far as Harding being our best defensive fiorward , no way , he's not physical enough , and .I don't see him winning all his draws and he's a +1 on a team that is 20 and 3 .

If another team will give us a solid D man for Harding I'm all for it !

There is no way the gens part with Pu unless we get an all star defensemen for him and picks ,the kid is very young , not a expected to put up big numbers on this first place team at his age

Harding is a fourth line centre , on this team , this is his chance to shine , while he gets a lot more ice time with top wingers ,

So far he is 0 for 2 games , not impressed

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by Macker88 Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:17 am

He has no compete level, he's soft, he's been like that for the last 3 years. If DJ Smith can't get his compete level up then I don't know who can. He is no DJ's type of player. Cliff Pu needs to play in the top 6 to be successful and he's not good enough to do that right now. Sam Harding can play on any line an be successful. He is way more valuable to the 2014/2015 Oshawa Generals.

Here's the scenario... the Gens are offered Nick Moutrey and either Sean Callaghan or Jacob Ringuette. Exactly what they need, a rough physical veteran defenseman. An exactly what the Generals want, a potent offensive guy who has grit an can play in the top 6. Similar deals would feature Corbett and Pancel from Sudbury, or Campagna and Curcuruto or Jones.

Ideally, I'd want Moutrey and Callaghan. Both are no nonsense guys, play a rough physical game, that is exactly what you need in the playoffs. Both guys are veterans, make smart decisions and are team first guys. That would cost us Cliff Pu as would any of the 3 possible packages I suggested.

My point, on this years team Harding plays an important role as a 3rd line centre, are top faceoff guy, are shutdown centre an say what you want, he does a good job, many nights other teams top guys are held pointless. He's fantastic on the PK, he may not be tenacious and a real raw raw guy throwing massive hits and such. But he's a cerebral player who thinks the game very well, has outstanding offensive and defensive instincts, is positional sound, just a very smart reliable player. Where as Pu is a defensive liability, shy's away from contact an physical play, is a questionable decision maker and many have questioned the way he thinks the game for years. Does he have skills absolutely, the kid is one of the best skaters I've seen in 3 years of scouting minor midget hockey. He's got great speed, he's elusive, he has great edge work, fantastic change of direction ability. He's got above average hands, and can be a playmaker. But he needs more puck possession to be effective, an he doesn't seem to want the puck on many nights.

To some it up, sure Pu has talent, but Harding is more important to this years team. You can say we need to build for the future, well the future is now. The Gens are/were the number 1 ranked team in the CHL. That means we are legitimate Mem Cup contenders. If moving Pu gets you those guys you do it in a second. The next few years will be recouping picks, an building for 2/3 years way. Cant worry about your future when you an 2 other teams are clear cut favorites.

Macker88

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:21 am

Right now I personally don't care who they trade either Harding or Pu or both as they have to go for it this year, and if we have to give up some of the future oh well, I'm getting sick of hearing 4 time memorial cup champions the Oshawa Generals I what to hear "5" time Memorial Cup champions Laughing
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:52 am

To say Harding has no compete level is ridiculous. The hardest thing to teach these kids and even adults is defense first. Harding is a natural. He does not have to lay big body checks to be effective. Does anyone remember Kory Nagy? Great defensive player and in year 3 contributed with some offence. Harding is more important to this team right now. You have to give up something to get something good in return. We do not have the picks and right now Pu is our best asset. He is a first round pick and would be looked as our best prospect. You can't be a typical Leaf fan that thinks our low end players will bring in top end from other teams. For this run I take Harding in a heart beat over Pu. Why some people keep looking at stats is beyond me. If you understand hockey you see Hardings value on this team. NHL teams do not have 20 50 goal scorers. Balance of checkers,physical and goal scorers wins. I guess this is a moot point if you just don't get it.

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by KHE Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:50 pm

steamed wrote:Right now I personally don't care who they trade either Harding or Pu or both as they have to go for it this year, and if we have to give up some of the future oh well, I'm getting sick of hearing 4 time memorial cup champions the Oshawa Generals I what to hear "5" time Memorial Cup champions Laughing
Or "Defending Memorial Cup Champions" Very Happy

KHE

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:31 pm

I agree guys Harding is more valuable to the team right now , he can play a solid 3rd or 4th line role , he's just not the offensive threat I had hoped he would become , my point is if we can get what we need to make a memorial cup run I would prefer to do that

Rather than give up the great although very green potential of Cliff Pu , that could hurt us for years

I hate trading away 1st round picks before they get a real chance , that would really come back to hurt us .
M
Harding was a good second round pick.
You guys are tight we need to go for it this year , I thought all we needed was D but with with Cassels out the way this team has suddenly shaken , makes me think we need another Vet forward presence , Harding isn't able to step up at this point anyway , hopefully he will , we would all benefit

Yes I remember Nagy very well , now that is a great defensive forward , I wish Harding could play like that , the closest guy we have on the team to Nagy is Walkace , I love the guy !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:38 pm

You know Nerdferger , I wish you would stay out of the conversations if you're going to just insult people with your personal attacks

I know plenty of hockey Sir , macker88 and I have very good respectful dialogue , he makes a lot of valid points and he knows what I see in Pu , albeit Pu is not what we need right now

Furthermore comparing Harding to Nagy is wayyyyy out of line , Nagy was awesome and could fly and Never quit

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Mon Dec 01, 2014 5:28 pm

mygens wrote:You know Nerdferger , I wish you would stay out of the conversations if you're going to just insult people with your personal attacks

I know plenty of hockey Sir , macker88 and I have very good respectful dialogue , he makes a lot of valid points and he knows what I see in Pu , albeit Pu is not what we need right now

Furthermore comparing Harding to Nagy is wayyyyy out of line , Nagy was awesome and could fly and Never quit
Never made a personal attack. Made an agreement with Macker saying the exact thing I did....did not mention your name as someone else mentioned Harding vs Pu....you my friend just attacked me ....this is a board with opinions. That is my opinion and I will not be told to stay out of the conversation. That my friend is bullying and you cannot tell me what I can and cannot say on here pal... I have had it with your crap.... I will continue to take part in any conversation I choose. In your mind it's attacking if I choose to disagree with you. Grow up.

nerfherder

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:38 pm

nerf, quotes ……….if you understand hockey , you know the value of Harding

…….. I guess this is a moot point if you just don't get it ..

………..grow up .

this is the stuff I don't think is necessary Nerfherder , to express your opinion on the subject

perhaps you're not aware how these statements come across to other bloggers , anyhow lets move on

go gens go !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:02 pm

Well fair enough.

You were told to give your head a shake directly.....(not by me)

My comments were generalization but you seem to take them as a victim. I did not attack you personally or at all for that matter. It was a general comment.....yes I did tell you to grow up after your rant, quit trying to use everything as an agenda against me. You clearly don't like me and that's fine. We can agree that we would like to see the best team we can. If you feel my comments are negative towards you so be it. Don't read my opinions then. I will continue to voice my opinion on a topic I enjoy and not be told that I can't unless it is a moderator of this board. I stand behind my feeling that Harding is a good player to have in our line up for this run and if we are to get a good player in return a prospect such as Pu will fetch us just that.

nerfherder

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:38 am

We are going to lose Dal Colle to team canada , so we will need Harding for sure !

Wish we didn't have to wait till jan 10 to see what players we will end up with !

I think this is the closest we've been to the OHL. Title since Savard days ,1997 , I went to that memorial cup , it was a lot of fun even though we didn't win !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next