Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is Rocco about to sell the GENS - makes 1 wonder

+14
LX
Rinkrat
hockeybeats
nerfherder
jaycro
Tuckerfan1
generalsfan
core33
opinionated
overbank99
mygens
oshgens2k2
steamed
Gens Camper
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Is Rocco about to sell the GENS -  makes 1 wonder Empty Is Rocco about to sell the GENS - makes 1 wonder

Post by Gens Camper Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:31 pm

It appears that Rocco is looking for a buyer - he will have SOLD OUT nights until May 2015 - then 2000 a night 2016 and on

Rocco is allowing unresponsible management it is hard to figure out

D J will move on as he will see no challenge in staying after this year and adding more to his resume

Roger Hunt will look for a new job after being billed as a genius - lets hope

The scouting staff can be reduced as they will have little to do at the draft table

The 19 yr olds we have - you say can be traded for picks next Sept - We will move an O A next Sept for a 4th rd pick after giving up 2

2nds and a 3 rd pick if we are lucky

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Is Rocco about to sell the GENS -  makes 1 wonder Empty Re: Is Rocco about to sell the GENS - makes 1 wonder

Post by steamed Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:37 pm

So your view on this SSM selling, North Bay selling ,Erie selling (well this may happen Laughing ) are doing the same thing.
What the Generals are doing is what all the contending teams are doing trying to make a run at it.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Is Rocco about to sell the GENS -  makes 1 wonder Empty Re: Is Rocco about to sell the GENS - makes 1 wonder

Post by Gens Camper Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:41 pm

Yes I agree with making a RUN but you are putting $500,000 mortgage

on a 200,000 asset - we have given up way too much

I hope I am wrong because I am the arm chair G M and not Roger

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:48 pm

but didn't SSM,N Bay and Erie gave up and I'm assuming just as much, so what your original post stated on selling the team could as well be said for the there's,
Rocco what's a winner just like a lot of our fans do and Hunt and DJ are doing that as the others are doing the same thing for there's, don't read into anything just enjoy the ride Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:54 pm

We all want a winner - Erie and SSM had a ton of picks to trade we did not - we traded our future for the present

Like I said I hope I am wrong and we go 30 - 2 and 16 -2 in the playoffs

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Fri Jan 09, 2015 4:56 pm

If you don't make moves to go for it the years you have the opportunity then you remain an also ran forever . This was that last big move I was looking for . Junior hockey is like this. Next year we might drop back from being contenders but players are moved for other picks . You still have draft picks to use. Now Oshawa is on the map again. You know how London gets those 4th-10th rd picks to report...... Being a winner.

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:43 pm

the goal is the trip to the memorial cup ! we haven't been there since 1997 , and since then have mired in mediocrity , we haven't had this solid a team since 1990 ,

after this year we will collect some picks and rebuild once again , at least this year we gave it a real shot and something to cheer about !

I as a season ticket holder was growing very tired of spending that kind of money with no results since 1997

the future will look after itself !

go gens go

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by overbank99 Fri Jan 09, 2015 5:49 pm

I think trading draft picks into the 2021 season is insanity.
I hope the Gens go deep this season as it will be a few years
before they see the playoffs again.
one hopes Michael Dal Colle is back next season to give the
Gens a big asset at the trade deadline.
Branch needs to step in and limit the number of years ahead
a team can trade their draft picks.

overbank99

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by opinionated Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:39 pm

It's all about understanding the process, and knowing when to be a buyer and when to be a seller.

For the past number of years, the Gens have been neither - and as a result have had decent teams that go a few rounds into the playoffs, but never have enough to get them over the top.

This year it seems like they have stocked up to try to make that run over the top.

As soon as the season finishes, it becomes time to become sellers, and to unload some of the top returning players and re-stock the draft picks. You have to remember - each team only has a usefulness for so many rookies each season. There are 15 rounds of drafting each year, but yet only a few rookies on each team -- it's not the volume that counts but the talent in drafting good players with the picks that you have. Also, the teams that have tons of draft picks will be looking to get players back in return for some of their excess picks. And as long as the Gens are willing to part with players in their last year in the league, it will be easy to get back a decent supply of draft picks.

My only hope is that we don't hold onto talent next year as a middle of the pack team. If we aren't in full "run-for-the-cup" mode next year (and I don't think we will be), we need to bite the bullet then and start the rebuild - not hold on to some faint hope of making a run from sixth place. If we wait too long to restock the draft picks, we will indeed face a long, long road back to respectability.

opinionated

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2010-01-28

Back to top Go down

Post by core33 Fri Jan 09, 2015 8:51 pm

This team will not be drawing 2000 a game. Even when they weren't so good and were drafting 1st and 2nd overall not that long ago, 3000 people still came and in the 2nd half of the season attendance was respectable. Yes I do know there is discounted and group tickets but that happens every year to every team. Hey Belleville got 1800 the other night. Yes it was cold but hey we live in Ontario not Florida.

core33

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2010-08-29

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Jan 18, 2015 1:46 am

I really hope Rocco leaves town !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:16 pm

Well I'm at the game tonight Friday night , and it's wonderful , we in the premium section can fir the first time in years here ourselves think the PA volume has been reduced , it's such a pleasure to be able to watch the game and be able to have a conversation

Thank you , thank you , all of us in section 5 really appreciate the break from the noise

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Fri Jan 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Section 105

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:10 am

I totally agree, mygens, the volume level was perfect during Friday night's game. What a nice change from the uncomfortable/painful sound levels (music volume and in-game announcements) that actually hurt your ears in the centre seats. I sent an email to the Gens Game Day Manager during the 1st intermission of Friday's game to pass along how fantastic the new volume level was, with the hope that this would be the new standard we'd be experiencing for future home games. It was so good on Friday night that people in my section (114) were taking out their earplugs, enjoying the game night experience and the game more as a result, and were cheering and clapping more instead of using their hands to cover their ears during stoppages in play.

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:40 pm

Second game in a row the speaker is at a comfortable level in section 105 ,

Thank you hockey gods

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by oshgens2k2 Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:01 pm

The sound should be up a little bit at start of game and during the game . For a packed house there wasn't the crowd energy I expected. Not saying you need deafening music but this is a hockey game folks. Just my two cents

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerfan1 Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:06 pm

They really need to stop doing promotions that involve looking at the video board. It feels like such a joke when it happens. Tonight they had the Bell Lets Talk video that you could barely see. You gotta think some of the corporate sponsors are probably a little rattled when they get thrown up on the video board for no one to be able to read.
Tuckerfan1
Tuckerfan1

Number of posts : 59
Seat Section : 101
Registration date : 2014-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:01 pm

It's not meant to be a rock concert , and having music and advertising blasted into our section is not what I'm paying for a premium seat

Yes I wonder if the big screen advertisers realize they are paying for an add people can't see on the screen ?????

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:11 pm

The whole scoreboard is antique technology. Can't read the out-of-town scores, ads or anything that is put up. Very amateurish compared to other arenas in the circuit. Pathetic! The sound was better Sunday as I could actually understand what was being said. Still not great, however...only better.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by nerfherder Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:44 pm

My opinion on the sound is they just can't seem to find a good volume so I'm sure they got hosed on this system just like the scoreboard. It's nice if they have the music up a little when the whistle stops or they score or beginning of game or period. Between periods keep it down to back ground. The music helps create atmosphere and I found that lacking with a full crowd last night. I don't want it blaring that you can't stand it just a little louder. That can't happen with this system obviously as it can't project loud music comfortably. Bring in a trumpet guy or organ for the playoffs lol.

nerfherder

Number of posts : 144
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-24

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:24 am

Guys the sound level was way out of control in section 105 , the opposite side from us . Section 114 ? Was much lower level , surely they can control individual speakers . The acoustics in my section are such I guess that the speakers don't need to be set at the same as other areas of the building .

Yes a trumpet or organ old style would be great , but the younger crowd I guess wants current music

And the screen is embarrassing !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Jan 27, 2015 3:46 am

Unless something has changed between my last game working sound with the Gens in December 2013 and now, there is no way to control individual speakers. They are in groups so the concourse is separate from the bowl for example but in the main bowl, increasing the sound in the bowl or lowering it impacts all speakers simultaneously. It's also possible to disable one side of the rink (turn off north end for example) but you can't have a different volume level on the north and south side other than turning one side off entirely. I've only attended two or three Gens games this season, all before Christmas and I found the volume to be very reasonable. I can't remember the section number but I always sit in the last couple of rows at the top near center ice when I go, whichever side isn't the premium seats.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:33 am

you're correct , the side opposite the premium seats has reasonable sound levels , section 105 in the premium section , we've been blasted in our seats the past couple of years ( I was told Rocco tells staff to blast it ) until the past 2 games where it has been much less in your face and comfortable .

its unfortunate that each speaker can't be tuned in , because the acoustics are obviously not the same throughout the building .

really stupid actually , but then again the city of OSHAWA WENT CHEAP ON THE BIG SCREEN AS WELL SO NO SURPRISE !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:24 pm

To be fair to the city, HD technology was extremely expensive when they were making the decision on which screen to buy. The arena opened in 2006 so I imagine they would have been making the decision on what screen to buy in 2005 or perhaps early 2006. The price of HD plummeted as if became common in the following years and now the current projection-style screen certainly looks antiquated. Had the arena opened three years later, I'm sure the quality of the screen would be much better as older buildings that never had a screen were able to retrofit their buildings with newer and better technology than the General Motors Centre had. At the same time as Oshawa got a new mayor and council who was elected specifically because of a promise of trimming expenses as Oshawa had the highest property taxes in the GTA, it was hard for them to justify an expense of several thousand for a screen in a hockey arena that isn't even ten years old when there are other priorities - so this comes down to politics effectively.

As for the north vs south side, I wonder if the restaurant has anything to do with the louder sound - could the fact that the sections are smaller and have less people absorbing the sound be it? Perhaps the sound is reflecting off the windows of the restaurant? Physics isn't my area of expertise, just speculating.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinkrat Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:08 pm

Does anyone know the cost of a new screen

Rinkrat

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next