Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Appleby's Play

+7
darmitage
Gens Camper
HackNSlash
the croc
StingRay5
mygens
chupa81
11 posters

Go down

Appleby's Play Empty Appleby's Play

Post by chupa81 Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:28 am

I know we won the first series and are up 2-1 this series, but Appleby has looked horrible!  He looks like Appleby from last year, fighting every puck that comes his way. Looks to me that he has lost confidence for some reason.  Someone also brought it to my attention that he is wearing new pads, I'm not sure why he would change to new pads to start the playoffs... any thoughts out there?

chupa81

Number of posts : 83
Registration date : 2011-11-19

Back to top Go down

Appleby's Play Empty Re: Appleby's Play

Post by mygens Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:27 am

while I wouldn't say he looks horrible , he is struggling at times , especially I've noticed when he has to move any great amount , laterally or out of his net , looks like he has tripped over his pads a few times

if he has changed pads in the playoffs , that is completely insane !!!!

having said that , last nights loss was not anywhere near his fault , terrible game by the gens defenseman , to a man , a lot of standing around watching the play , or dropping to the ice to make futile attempts at blocking a shot , putting themselves out of position

nobody was finishing their checks last night , both ends of the ice .

poor play , especially 2nd and 3rd periods .

hopefully they will snap out of it !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:41 am

He did look shaky a few times last night. Pucks were bouncing off him.

He needs to settle down and the team needs to start flying and banging again.
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Wed Apr 15, 2015 12:30 pm

I double checked, and yes he is using new pads!! Maybe this is why the rebounds and tripping over himself? He doesn't look like the same goalie as he did in the regular season.. Lets see how he rebounds.

chupa81

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:33 pm

I think getting scored on in 27 seconds rattled him significantly.

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:26 pm

No, PESKYDOG ken had those games this year in Kingston and where are Kingston now? Same place the dogs will be next week.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:38 pm

the croc wrote:No, PESKYDOG ken had those games this year in Kingston and where are Kingston now? Same place the dogs will be next week.

Don't get mad at me, I thought he played a great first two games and he didn't seem himself last night. Blame the equipment, blame an early goal - but the rest of the posters in this thread noticed it too.

Back to top Go down

Post by HackNSlash Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:53 pm

I agree with mygens. The defense had their worst game I have seen this season. Both Brown and Petschenig were directly responsible for goals (including the one 27 seconds in). The team had a flat, lackluster game compared to their first two. Sloppy, soft play and multiple gaffes by the defense. Yes, Appleby looked shaky and at times seems to mishandle and fight the puck but I put last night's loss on the back line. Hopefully the Gens will show up four Game 4 like the did against Peterborough.

Credit to the Ice Dogs last night for a good game.

HackNSlash

Number of posts : 4
Seat Section : Section 115
Registration date : 2015-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Apr 15, 2015 5:59 pm

Speaking of credit, kudos to the Oshawa fan with the blue hair and mask. That's team dedication!!

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Wed Apr 15, 2015 6:42 pm

i can't imagine anyone ever recommending breaking in new pads for the playoffs , i would like to know what is going on there , he does seem to be falling over himself at times ????

Id like to know what coolaid the Soo are drinking , they don't take nights or periods off , we need to get some of that !!!

mygens

Back to top Go down

Appleby's Play Empty Appleby's play - not as bad as some think

Post by Gens Camper Wed Apr 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Without Ken Appleby this year we would have finished much lower in the standings. At the beginning of the year he stole games we should have lost. The best goalie we have had since 1966 - Ian Young - stats prove it.

Last night we lose -  no power play - 0 -6 from a 1 st place team is pathetic - we move the puck way too slow on the PP
- AGAIN why is Dal Colle on the point on the power play - all we do is pass on the arc from the blue line and get picked off

put # 34 & 55 - in front of the net and get shots on net preferably low- you must shoot fast and get rebounds

A forward - a defenseman have a BAD game and the goalie can bail him out - who bails out the GOALIE.

I will tell you who the guys in front - better back checking - better defensive coverage - win defensive face offs - win puck battles

The team in front of the goalie - who gives the goalie time to see the shot - cut down on breakaways - reduce 2 on 1 stay disciplined

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by HackNSlash Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:12 am

Good points Camper. I don't get the negativity that Appleby receives. #1 goalie in the league for goals against, save percentage and shutouts yet for some reason this is not good enough. He played poorly on Tuesday but as you've noted, the team in front of him did little to help him. I am hoping for and expecting a much better all around effort tonight.

HackNSlash

Number of posts : 4
Seat Section : Section 115
Registration date : 2015-03-18

Back to top Go down

Post by darmitage Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:52 am

HackNSlash wrote:Good points Camper. I don't get the negativity that Appleby receives. #1 goalie in the league for goals against, save percentage and shutouts yet for some reason this is not good enough. He played poorly on Tuesday but as you've noted, the team in front of him did little to help him. I am hoping for and expecting a much better all around effort tonight.

Appleby was during the year in all categories but not playoffs he is 3rd in the league in the playoffs

http://www.ontariohockeyleague.com/stats/show/type/top_goalies/ls_season/52
darmitage
darmitage

Number of posts : 593
Registration date : 2007-01-11

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:03 am

Appleby has been great all season, but he really seems to be fighting it since the playoffs started... In my mind he was not that good against Peterborough, but they have no offense. I think he needs a big game to get some confidence back maybe tonight's the night!

chupa81

Back to top Go down

Post by StingRay5 Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:06 am

Agree! Tonight's the night. GoGensGo!
StingRay5
StingRay5

Number of posts : 265
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2013-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:50 pm

Peskydog: In no way am I angry/mad. Niagara is a good team. I go back to Bobby Orr in 1962 as does genscamper. Ken Appleby has given the Gens great goaltending but it takes a team effort as it did for Ian Young in 1966 and Freddy Braithwaite in 1990. The nature of junior hockey is that you build your team over three years(or four) then you rebuild. I live in Kingston now and take my grandchildren to see the Frontenacs. You know where they are in building a team. Enjoy the playoffs. My time in St. Kitts involves watching games in the old barn. Great hockey, great fans and great players. REgards, the elderly croc.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:46 pm

GO GENS GO , COME ON GUYS , YOU WILL NEVER GET ANOTHER REAL SHOT AT THE MEMORIAL CUP , THIS IS IT !!!!

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by ag48 Thu Apr 16, 2015 11:01 pm

why can't D.J. get across to the players that they must play 60 minutes. we fell a sleep in the third tonight and almost let this game get away. luckily it didn't otherwise the momentum would have certainly changed for  Dogs into game 5 Friday.

let's go you Gennie's as Karen would say. Very Happy

and as Ed said on the TV broadcast the Refs must let the boys play and stop with the phantom penalties.

ag48

Number of posts : 75
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-10-27

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:59 am

I also wish they played a 60 minute game but the bottom line they won,they better be ready for Fridays game
Go GEN'S Go
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by chupa81 Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 am

Kenny was much better last night, made some big saves early in the game to keep it close! Refs sucked last night, what a joke call from the Linesmen on Cole!

chupa81

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:14 pm

the refs absolutely were biased against the gens last night , not only did we get a lot of calls against us , they literally turned a blind eye to all the infractions by Niagara , and there were plenty , blatant interference , blind side hits , no calls !!! really pisses me off .

its clear the quality of the referees is not up to par with the quality of the hockey !! been that way forever in the OHL and Branch has done NOTHING to correct this in his 28 miserable years as the czar !!!!

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Fri Apr 17, 2015 12:55 pm

I do hope that Branch appears @ the GMC I do hope he hears the loudest Boo's by the fans he and the ref's hate Red😆
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Tuckerfan1 Fri Apr 17, 2015 5:27 pm

As a ref im sure you would hate being constantly ripped on. But to make that call in the third friggin period??? I guarantee Cassels wasn't the only guy to give the refs a piece of his mind. Although who knows, the ice dogs weren't making too many trips to the box, so they probably didnt have too much to complain to the refs about.
Tuckerfan1
Tuckerfan1

Number of posts : 59
Seat Section : 101
Registration date : 2014-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by overbank99 Fri Apr 17, 2015 7:12 pm

i gave up my season tickets 3 or 4 years ago as i couldn't
stand to put anymore of my money(abet indirectly) into
David Branch's pocket.
for the past 20 years it isn't possible that almost every
game and in every season that the Gen's are so undisciplined
that they take the majority of the penalty's called.
i caught the last 2 periods of last night's game on television
and could not believe the calls against Oshawa and the ones
missed on Niagara its not the officials job to let the trailing team get back into the game.
i see in my 3 o r 4 season absence nothing has changed in the
OHL so i;ll still cheer on the Gens from afar and not put my
money into Branch's pocket

overbank99

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2007-11-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:06 am

overbank99 wrote:could not believe the calls against Oshawa and the ones
missed on Niagara its not the officials job to let the trailing team get back into the game.
i see in my 3 o r 4 season absence nothing has changed in the
OHL so i;ll still cheer on the Gens from afar and not put my
money into Branch's pocket

Well, we certainly agree that the quality of officiating is lacking!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down