Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Here we go again folks. Davies returns to the Gens.

+12
bigE88
gensfan 2k2
GENNY
wannabe
Gens Camper
Gennies22
Generalizations
hockeybeats
gensrock
mygens
steamed
archer_gens
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Here we go again folks. Davies returns to the Gens. Empty Here we go again folks. Davies returns to the Gens.

Post by archer_gens Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Oshawa Generals ownership in flux again this summer
METROLANDJohn Davies

John Davies says he is ready to resume his role as co-owner of the Oshawa Generals.Map data ©️2009 Tele Atlas - Terms of UseMapSatelliteHybridTools
Smaller Text | Larger Text
Email this Article
Print this Page
Report Typo or Correction

John Davies re-enters the picture with Rocco Tullio
Jul 14, 2009 - 05:16 PM

By Brian McNair

OSHAWA - John Davies is back in the ownership picture of the Oshawa Generals, but says he's been left in the dark regarding recent staff changes within the Ontario Hockey League club.

When contacted by This Week, Davies indicated an agreement struck a year ago that was supposed to have seen Adam Graves and Pete DeBoer purchase his share of the team has been terminated, and he is ready to resume his role as co-owner along with Rocco Tullio.

Davies adds the previous arrangement with Tullio is now back in effect, giving him the roles of governor, president and chief operating officer, and allowing him to take control of the day-to-day operations of the club.

Yet, he says, recent changes that saw a new sales and marketing team implemented were done without his knowledge or approval. The chief move there saw Michael O'Beirne replaced by Joe Kantor as vice president, business operations.

Asked how such a thing could happen if he, indeed, is in charge, Davies said Tuesday: "That's a good question. That's a question I'd like answered, too."

Davies says he has attempted to meet with Tullio, but so far has been unable to. He says he wants answers about recent staff changes and the team's poor performance of last season, but adds he is willing to try to move forward with Tullio.

"I am certainly prepared to exhaust every possible avenue to have a productive, working relationship," he says.

Tullio, who bought half of Davies' controlling interest in the team two years ago, has refused to comment on ownership matters, preferring to let lawyers sort it out.

"I'm not going to comment on that," he says. "This organization has had enough issues where ownership is concerned.

"We've got a lot of things happening that are positive on the ice. I can't wait for the season to start. I think we're going to have a very competitive team that we'll be able to build on."

Davies bought an 86-per cent controlling interest of the Generals from John Humphreys in 2004, and sold half those shares to Tullio in 2007.

Graves and DeBoer were brought in by Tullio to buy out Davies a year ago, but terms of that agreement were never met and it was terminated at the end of June, says Davies. Graves is currently a special assistant with New York Rangers, while DeBoer is the head coach of the Florida Panthers.

"I'm disappointed that the brain trust that was supposed to take the team to the next level was absent for the whole year," Davies says.

Davies says the next step could be arbitration or some other form of conflict resolution, which he hopes comes quickly.

"I don't think any organization can stand to have ambiguity for a protracted period of time," he says.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Here we go again folks. Davies returns to the Gens. Empty Re: Here we go again folks. Davies returns to the Gens.

Post by steamed Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:45 pm

This is starting to get stupid again. next we will hear that Selwood is back at coach & GM Embarassed
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Here we go again folks. Davies returns to the Gens. Empty Re: Here we go again folks. Davies returns to the Gens.

Post by mygens Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:16 pm

we better hope not !!! davies is a negative distraction , who is going to cause a disruption until he gets his money , thats what this is all about .......money .....he doesnt give a damn about the gens or its fans !!!

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:39 pm

mygens wrote:we better hope not !!! davies is a negative distraction , who is going to cause a disruption until he gets his money , thats what this is all about .......money .....he doesnt give a damn about the gens or its fans !!!

And you know Davies personally?......please provide facts before we all get carried away.......once again!
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:49 pm

This is the best Quote I have heard in a long time:
Davies says he says he wants answers about recent staff changes and the team's poor performance of last season, but adds he is willing to try to move forward with Tullio.

Who hired McGill?Who hired Ladoucear?Who hired Selwood?
The person Who did got us that poor preformance last season,personally I think Tullio was steering the Gen's in the right direction last season.
Where was Davies last season ? running from the Lawyers Very Happy
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:15 am

Well that answers the question about DeBoer and Graves. To those who were saying "But I keep reading that this transaction was never made official", give yourselves a pat on the back because you were right all along.

This really came out of nowhere. We'll see what happens.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:19 am

it was funny that they were made owners and then we never heard anything on the subject ever again....
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:46 am

I sure I hope win the lottery this summer... I'd buy out Davies in a heartbeat Very Happy

Last edited by Generalizations on Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gennies22 Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:00 am

Davies hired Selwood, a terrible hire then Selwood hired McGill who was given 2 1/2 months with no players to work with - Justin Donati was hurt & Tyler went home for a trade, Turple was traded for 2 bad players & was using Tier 2 players so McGill can't be blamed for the first mess, the Ladouceur hire was terrible, followed by Tier 2 Depiero w/ no defensive plan, even though he was coaching the "D". We need big changes in Gens land, Depiero & his Tier 2 buddies have to go, we need a Coach like the Sutter's - acting resposible on & off the ice, do it my way or go elsewhere. Look at the successful Jr. franchises & they players don't run the team, the Coach & Manager run it TOGETHER !! I don't know if Tullio will let this happen, he may be too much of a control freak, and obviously Graves & DeBoer are out so there goes their "special help".

Gennies22

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:39 am

How many times in the last year was it stated on this site that

Adam Graves & Peter De Boer were never finalized.

So - why would Davies give up on his place in GENS land if the

deal was not finalized and he never got his cash $$$$

We need 1 new owner - not 2 fighting owners

Who has controlling interest in this team

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by wannabe Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:53 am

I dunno. It's all very confusing. Personally, I never got a good vibe from Davies. Seemed like a weasle for lack of a better word. Also alot of information has come to light regarding his business dealings, the wife, the paid off girlfriends, bankrupcy Etc. Tulio seems all business to me and genuinely wants to put a good product on the ice. I would not be surprised to see him walk away from this 3 ring circus. I would like to see a good team but also a strong solid franchise. This doesn't sit well with me let alone Tulio I'm sure. But he's a good business man no doubt about it (outside of hockey circles he is very respected). Time will tell. Back to Davis walking the rink and kissing the ladies :-}

wannabe

Number of posts : 50
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:11 pm

After reading the interview in the paper a June date is mentioned so there might of have been something in placed between the 2 owners for the sale to Deboer & Graves and if not Davies resumes his position.I like to read what Tullio has to say.
but will problably not here the whole story,I just want this settled ASAP.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by wannabe Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:29 pm

True enough steamed...in the end all any of us care about is watchng exciting hockey. Leave the business to those in charge.

wannabe

Number of posts : 50
Seat Section : 104
Registration date : 2009-05-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:35 pm

You are right - BUT it's the business part that gives you

Success or failure

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:54 pm

Doesn't anyone find it weird that our team went for a dive when Tulio showed up? He's from Windsor and that's where a lot of our talent went via trades and deals we never saw coming. Guess who won the Memorial Cup?
GENNY
GENNY

Number of posts : 609
Seat Section : 103
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:59 am

ur suggesting sabotage?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:17 am

GENNY wrote:Doesn't anyone find it weird that our team went for a dive when Tulio showed up? He's from Windsor and that's where a lot of our talent went via trades and deals we never saw coming. Guess who won the Memorial Cup?

Hey Genny your hit the nail on the head,I was thinking the same thing,the downhill fall came when Tullio came into the picture.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan 2k2 Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:04 am

Don't you remember Tullio being livid at giving up Mitchell in that trade that Selwood made. It was reported in print and numerous sites that he wasn't happy that he wasn't in the know on the full details of the trade to get Niuvirth. I don't know either owner but having two guys who don't get along won't work either. (ie see tampa Bay Lightning) Ultimately its about the $. davies needs some to get out of financial issues according to reports in print. (lawsuits(trish Campbell), divorce, cash shortage in other business) I felt we were moving forward with the hiring of a head scout from Kitchener (by Deboer) Peter Deboer was also very present in our most recent draft and had influence over the picks we made so obviously Tulio got guys he trusts with hockey sense to start to get us out of the whole Selwood left us in.

Maybe my memory is short but most on here and Noof have not had good feelings about the Selwood/Davies era.

gensfan 2k2

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:26 am

I'm the first one to say that I'm not a fan of Selwood(and still not),But fans would be really mad if he did nothing.yeah he should of address the goal much sooner than he did but didn't,and stayed loyal to the players that he had on the team.That year two OHL teams made it to the Mem Cup,we made it to the east final with 3 key players injuryed Shea Kewin(broken ankle)Kevin Baker(shoulder) Michal Nieurith(Ankle or groin) if those players were healthly maybe we would of beat Belleville(I think we would of)and would be playing at the Mem Cup,and I don't think Dale Mitchell name would not be brought up now how bad that trade was.I give Selwood credit he tried to better the team and if it wasn't for key injuries who knows what chould of happened.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:33 am

steamed wrote:
GENNY wrote:Doesn't anyone find it weird that our team went for a dive when Tulio showed up? He's from Windsor and that's where a lot of our talent went via trades and deals we never saw coming. Guess who won the Memorial Cup?

Hey Genny your hit the nail on the head,I was thinking the same thing,the downhill fall came when Tullio came into the picture.

but in your earlier post you were praising Tullio saying the club was going in the right direction
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:37 am

steamed wrote:I'm the first one to say that I'm not a fan of Selwood(and still not),But fans would be really mad if he did nothing.yeah he should of address the goal much sooner than he did but didn't,and stayed loyal to the players that he had on the team.That year two OHL teams made it to the Mem Cup,we made it to the east final with 3 key players injuryed Shea Kewin(broken ankle)Kevin Baker(shoulder) Michal Nieurith(Ankle or groin) if those players were healthly maybe we would of beat Belleville(I think we would of)and would be playing at the Mem Cup,and I don't think Dale Mitchell name would not be brought up now how bad that trade was.I give Selwood credit he tried to better the team and if it wasn't for key injuries who knows what chould of happened.

you just blamed Sellwood in your earlier post for the teams poor performance last season, a direct result of the Neuvirth trade. Now you give him Credit for trying to make the club better by doing the trade.. you are contradicting yourself.
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:03 pm

bigE88 glad your paying attention to my posts.but since then I change my tune on trades Selwood made.But still don't like Selwood as coach or GM
(you can file this post for further updates on my posts Wink )
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by neillove Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:45 pm

All you have to do is look at this.

Neuvirth
Plymouth Whalers - Memorial Cup
Oshawa Generals - injured, lost in 3rd round
Hershey Bears - AHL Champions, MVP of playoffs.

I am not the biggest Selwood fan but if Neuvirth had stayed healthy and we had gone all the way, Everyone would have praised Selwood as a genius. He is not the first person to lose a job because of something out of his control.

neillove

Number of posts : 41
Seat Section : 118
Registration date : 2007-03-09

Back to top Go down

Here we go again folks. Davies returns to the Gens. Empty Bad trades

Post by Gens Camper Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:01 pm

If Neuvirth was healthy - which was rumoured he was injured at the World championships - This was a bad trade for many reasons

I think Brad knew his days were numbered and bet the farm on Neuvirth and lost

We gave up Dale Mitchell - 1st rd pick in Shugg a 2nd rd pick for an injured goalie

You forget we needed more than a goalie to win that final vs the BULLS - they had a better goalie and a better defence

Another bad trade was with Sudbury -

Oh I'm so glad Brad is gone - Davies is not a hockey guy - He should put his share up for sale now and leave quietly

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:58 pm

Gens Camper wrote:If Neuvirth was healthy - which was rumoured he was injured at the World championships - This was a bad trade for many reasons

I think Brad knew his days were numbered and bet the farm on Neuvirth and lost

We gave up Dale Mitchell - 1st rd pick in Shugg a 2nd rd pick for an injured goalie

You forget we needed more than a goalie to win that final vs the BULLS - they had a better goalie and a better defence

Another bad trade was with Sudbury -

Oh I'm so glad Brad is gone - Davies is not a hockey guy - He should put his share up for sale now and leave quietly

And Tullio is an hockey guy!
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next