Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Injury, trade rumours surround Generals' Parnham

Go down

Injury, trade rumours surround Generals' Parnham Empty Injury, trade rumours surround Generals' Parnham

Post by Kevy Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:36 pm

http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/sports/article/135303

Injury, trade rumours surround Generals' Parnham

Oshawa sniper hoping to land contract with Ottawa Senators
Sep 10, 2009 - 03:15 PM
By Brian McNair

OSHAWA -- Chris DePiero insists his only wish for Brett Parnham right now is for him to land a professional contract with the Ottawa Senators.

So, when word came down that Parnham had injured his shoulder in a fight at an NHL rookie tournament in Kitchener on Monday, DePiero said he wasn't even thinking about what kind of impact that might have on the Oshawa Generals.

"We're more concerned for Brett and his quest to try out for the Ottawa Senators here," said DePiero, head coach and general manager of the Generals. "That's first and foremost, for him and his own quest."

Parnham, who would play an overage season in the Ontario Hockey League if he doesn't sign a pro contract, would presumably be a welcome addition to an Oshawa team that is lacking firepower right now.

Or, perhaps, he and his 50 goals from last season would make for interesting trade bait for a team that is obviously in a retooling phase right now.

Such speculation is starting to grow, and Parnham discussed it with the Kitchener-Waterloo Record this week.

"Oshawa's getting pretty young," Parnham told reporter Jeff Hicks. "They're going to be good in probably a year or so. Me being in my last year, I'm sure they wouldn't want me there the whole year. That's something we'd have to discuss."

DePiero, however, said the Generals haven't even considered trading the Orillia native, and won't at the very least until he's returned to junior hockey.

"Right now we're not even at a stage of trying to look at that. Brett's an Oshawa General at the junior level and that's what we'll deal with," DePiero said. "It's not something that's come up at all from our standpoint. My discussion piece with Brett is, hey, his full focus right now is trying out for the Ottawa Senators, so I support him in that. My relationship with Brett has always been one that's up front and honest and open."

Parnham's 50 goals were second in the OHL last season to John Tavares's 58, 26 of which came with the Generals. Kory Nagy, another overage possibility who's at the New Jersey Devils' camp, had the next most for the Generals with 17.

The Generals wrap up the preseason with a home-and-home with the Kitchener Rangers, with games tonight in Kitchener and Sunday in Oshawa, 6:05 p.m at the General Motors Centre.

They open the regular season on the road next weekend, with games in Sarnia Friday, Sept. 18 and Plymouth the next night.
Kevy
Kevy

Number of posts : 789
Seat Section : 114 Row 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down