Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GENS chances of signing Lessio - appear slim -

+4
archer_gens
gmc 118
mygens
Gens Camper
8 posters

Go down

GENS chances of signing Lessio - appear slim - Empty GENS chances of signing Lessio - appear slim -

Post by Gens Camper Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Yes he is having a great start for St. Mikes - read on from St Mikes website

Lessio To Trade One “M” For Another
10/05/2009
TORONTO - For a lot of highly touted young players coming out of minor midget AAA hockey in Ontario, especially those picked near the top of the Ontario Hockey League Priority Selection, the decision regarding their hockey future is not a difficult one. On occasion though, some players opt for other avenues of advancement depending on what they feel the best situation is for them to develop in.

Lucas Lessio, despite being drafted seventh overall by the Niagara Ice Dogs in 2009, long had the feeling that no matter what happened, his primary goal was to earn the opportunity to play for the University of Michigan Wolverines.

“I went to (training camp) in Niagara but it didn’t feel like the right comfort level for me,” said Lessio. “My gut has always been with Michigan, it’s a very warm environment and I think I’ll succeed there as a player.”

The notion of playing for the University of Michigan Wolverines first began three years ago for Lessio when he attended a game at Yost Ice Arena and the atmosphere he witnessed left him with a lasting impression.

“I just love it there; I fell in love with it when I went to watch a game three years ago,” said Lessio. “My heart’s been set there probably ever since.”

Apart from the truly legendary atmosphere at Yost Ice Arena, the University of Michigan is, year in and year out, among the top schools in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association and has an impressive track record of players moving on to the professional ranks, a fact which was not lost on Lessio when considering the numerous other NCAA offers he received.

“The University of Michigan has the number one hockey development program in the CCHA, I think,” said Lessio. “It’s just a great school from the coaches on down to the players.”

Any doubt that may have been lingering in Lessio’s mind about whether the University of Michigan was the right choice was eliminated after he spoke with Wolverines’ alumni Andrew Cogliano of the Edmonton Oilers and Mike Cammalleri of the Montreal Canadiens along with current Wolverines Louie Caporusso and Brandon Burlon.

“I spoke to Cogliano a couple times and Cammalleri when I skated with the NHLers in the summertime,” said Lessio. “They said they have no regrets going there. They said they loved it. After a game I watched at Yost in January, I had a chance to talk to Caporusso and Burlon and they said all good things about the school. I never heard one negative comment about Michigan and their hockey program.”

Knowing the University of Michigan and the NCAA route was the path he wanted to proceed with, the question then for Lessio was where to play for two years in advance of his commitment for the 2011-2012 season while still allowing himself to continue to develop and maintain his college eligibility?

The St. Michael’s Buzzers seemed like a natural fit. With the success that the University of Michigan has had in recruiting former Buzzers Andrew Cogliano, Louie Caporusso and Brandon Burlon, all of whom have turned out to be impact players at the Division I level, the Wolverines hockey staff suggested that Lessio attend Buzzers training camp this past fall.

Right away, Lessio felt comfortable and knew the Buzzers would be a good fit for the next two seasons.
“I came to training camp here (with the Buzzers) and just liked the bunch of guys,” explained Lessio. “It made my decision a lot easier.”

Only eight games into his Junior A career, the sixteen year old Lessio’s talent is undeniable. With eight goals – several of them falling into the highlight reel category - and nine assists already, the usual learning curve from minor midget AAA to Junior A seems to have been bypassed altogether. Although, despite being a frontline player with the Buzzers so quickly, Lessio knows he still has plenty of room for improvement in his game and has no intention of coasting for the next two seasons.

“I try not to see these two seasons as an opportunity to relax knowing where I will be in two years,” Lessio informed. “I always try to work hard at everything I do because if you work hard, even in practice, that’s how you’ll get better. Working hard should be your number one priority and then the rest of the things will fall into place so that’s my number one priority when I go out there every game.”

Even in spite of his remarkable ability at such a young age, Lessio possesses a very mature outlook, understanding he can still get and has to get a lot better if he wants to continue to advance. As a result, he is typically self-effacing when praise is directed his way.

After a recent game against the Toronto Jr. Canadiens in which he scored a goal by pulling a loose puck off the end boards at the side of the net and tucking it through his legs into the net all in one motion not unlike a goal scored by Rick Nash of the Columbus Blue Jackets some years back, Lessio was not interested in such a lofty compliment when told of the comparison his goal was drawing.

“I don’t know about that,” Lessio said laughing. “I just think I’d be pretty lucky to be compared to a player like him (Nash).”

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

GENS chances of signing Lessio - appear slim - Empty Re: GENS chances of signing Lessio - appear slim -

Post by mygens Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:16 pm

then why would the gens bother trading for the kid ? i wonder !

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

GENS chances of signing Lessio - appear slim - Empty Re: GENS chances of signing Lessio - appear slim -

Post by gmc 118 Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:46 pm

This is just a thought.The gens have 4 16 yearolds signed and playing, if they sign lessio, now its five.Now which players do not dress. People are going to say well its easy, jenner and lessio play and you keep switching the d-men. When you have commited to these players and then tell them a different, you get a situation where players want to leave.Maybe lessio is going to play for st-mikes this year, sign with the gens next year. With biggs joining our team next year, thats a pretty good young core. Then we gave up a draft pick, yes that sucks but we will get that back with parnham, hayes and whoever else is traded before or at the deadline.
gmc 118
gmc 118

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:59 pm

why trade hayes?
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:19 pm

Everybody likes him but there is no point having overagers on a team that doesn't make the playoffs or, if they do, not go deep. Get something for them when you can to enhance the rebuilding process.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:42 pm

i think we need a leader still.... but i guess see what the return is
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan 2k2 Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:38 am

So this kid is committed to Michigan a place he can't play in for another season after this. I'm not saying its wrong to go to the NCAA but last time I checked more OHL players make it to the big show than college players. the college schedule is shorter and that is always a concern for these guys making the NHL. If he is truly committed to Michigan it was a dumb move the Generals giving up a 2nd for nothing. I feel they must have a feeling they can get him here next year or why make the trade. As far as Parnham and Hayes go you have to trade them if you can get picks or players back. This team is not contending and the plan is to make the playoffs not win the league. A team like Barrie, London, Windsor or St. Mikes will be very interested in Parnham to the tune of a 2nd rd pick,3rd rd pick and a 17 year old player.

gensfan 2k2

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Chamoo Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:36 am

Maybe more CHL players make it to the show, but those that don't have to wait 4 years after they are done playing hockey to gain their degree. Those that go the University route are done school 4 years sooner just in case they don't make it to the big show.

I think going to university route is the smartest thing around, unfortunately, too many people are lured away thinking they are going to the NHL, when in reality, 99.9% of youth hockey players never make it past the CHL or Junior A hockey.

Chamoo

Number of posts : 159
Registration date : 2007-11-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:06 pm

The NCAA route is not for everyone. Not a bad choice - just not for everyone. If the player can handle a busy course load as well as all the time spent on the ice, then great for them. Some player's choose OHL, with guaranteed school at the end of their career, becasue they know that either their education or their hockey would suffer if they tried to do both. Going to University at the age of 19-20 is not always a bad thing either. The player is more mature and has a better idea of what he wants to study. Also some players will hold out for NCAA, that may never come and have lost out on OHL opportunities. I'd want to be 100% sure of NCAA before I turned down and OHL offer. It really is a personal choice and sometimes a very hard one to make.

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfan 2k2 Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:22 pm

I don't think I said I am anti school. It just sounds like this guy wants to play NHL or go to the NHL. In the OHL he can attend high school and enroll in University in his junior town and get the eduaction side. He doesn't go to NCAA until he is 18. Same deal as attending University in Canada. Some would argue he might get a better education at a top Canadian University compared to an athlete scholarship education in the US. The talent as far as hockey is higher in the O than college based on the amount players that make it to the show.

gensfan 2k2

Number of posts : 60
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:11 pm

I believe that some players moreso than others will hold out as long as possible for a better deal. Stating that one wants to go the NCAA route is often ante for the pot. I am certain that the Generals will bring a far better offer to the table than the IceDogs. If he doesn't come here, so be it. I feel it's worth the risk to have traded for his rights.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

GENS chances of signing Lessio - appear slim - Empty NCAA option

Post by Gens Camper Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:59 pm

I wonder if our 16 yr Jimmy McDowell- is he not the player that opted out of going the NCAA route and came to Oshawa instead,

Maybe he needs to talk to Lucas as to why he dedided on the OHL

It seems strange to trade for a kid who has heart else where

I sure would like to see him with a GENS jersey on - what a building block

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down