Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did We Pick The Wrong Goalie?

+3
archer_gens
Generalizations
jaycro
7 posters

Go down

Did We Pick The Wrong Goalie? Empty Did We Pick The Wrong Goalie?

Post by jaycro Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:03 pm

The top three and only goalies picked in the first three rounds 2008 draft were Kevin Bailie (Oshawa), J.P. Anderson (St.Mikes) and Mark Visentin (Niagara).This year, Bailie has by far the worst stats of the three. Minutes played in order of them listed are: 357,560and 914; goals against: 27, 24 and 58: GAA: 4.54, 2.57, 3.81 and save %'s .848, .898 and .900! Now I realize stats are reflective of the defense, the team as a whole and what teams games have been played against the powerhouses in the league but I wonder why Bailie was selected head and shoulders ahead of all the other goalies that year? I thought he looked good at the"spring orientation camp" in 2008 and the training camp last year; this year he seems top have regressed. We might have been better off with a forward or defence pick such as Brian Beukeboom, Stephen Silas or Jeff Skinner, all selected after him who could be contributing on a nightly basis this year. I know, I know..hindsight is everything! Your thoughts?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Did We Pick The Wrong Goalie? Empty Re: Did We Pick The Wrong Goalie?

Post by Generalizations Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:25 pm

Bailie seems to have lost his confidence lately. He started off the 2008-2009 season with a bang.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:42 pm

wonder why confidence could be an issue

i can name a few reasons why

Borden, Conway, Zador
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:31 pm

It's easy to say now did we or didn't,Drafting it's like gambling if your card comes up you win if it don't you lose.my personal opinion is that in a year or 2 one will be traded. Neutral
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:35 pm

Followup to my initial post. Noticing how Grubauer has stood the Gennies on their ear the last two games I wondered to myself if maybe we should be hiring the Belleville Bulls "goalie scout". Look who they drafted recently; Murphy, Pasquale and now Grubauer! Are they just lucky or good at seeing goalie potential? When in recent memory have we drafted any goalies of that calibre?

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:34 pm

I believe we should only judge the current scouting group

The Brad group must be buried and forgotten

If we get lucky - GREAT

Do not forget London drafted Zador 1 st rd and gave up on him

and some in London are still not impressed

I think drafting younger goalies is tough - you get lucky and you

better have a good goalie coach and we only now have a good

goalie coach - BUT that takes time

Goalie confidence is hard to get and easy to break

Some take a yr or 2 - cut them some slack

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:51 pm

jaycro wrote:Followup to my initial post. Noticing how Grubauer has stood the Gennies on their ear the last two games I wondered to myself if maybe we should be hiring the Belleville Bulls "goalie scout". Look who they drafted recently; Murphy, Pasquale and now Grubauer! Are they just lucky or good at seeing goalie potential? When in recent memory have we drafted any goalies of that calibre?

I find that Belleville has always had strong goalkeepers, as did St. Michael's when the played at the College Arena. I can't help notice they difference in the size of the ice in those home arenas. Goalkeepers that can make adjusts to different arenas as opposed to just the same angles over again are going to progress further.

Generalizations

Back to top Go down

Post by gogeneralsgo Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:33 pm

Can't blame Baillie.. Goalies more than any other position is a crap shoot to pick which one will be a star. We have 2 goalies who were picked in the 1st Round.. Zador and Baillie... when there are others in their age groups who are better, and drafted later.

Just bad drafting by the Gens and Knights. Another Selwood Legacy for us.

gogeneralsgo

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:05 pm

I often wonder why last year, we didn't give Ballie more playing time. How is he supposed to get used to the league, pace and shooters, if he only plays a handful of games?

It should have been a 50/50 split.

Each goalie alternating games until the half way point. Then you go with the hot goalie.

Both Goalies know their role and confidence is a little more secure. You know.....you are playing, and you know if you let a bad goal in....you'll play again.

I realize you can't let a goalie get shell shocked...but experience is gained only by playing. You can't get better and improve if all you do for 3 years is open the door at the bench.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:28 pm

Hayes#21 wrote:I often wonder why last year, we didn't give Ballie more playing time. How is he supposed to get used to the league, pace and shooters, if he only plays a handful of games?

We had three goalkeepers. It was kinda crowded in net.

Generalizations

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down