Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Norris trophy to be renamed Bobby Orr trophy?

+2
Generalizations
hockeybeats
6 posters

Go down

Norris trophy to be renamed Bobby Orr trophy? Empty Norris trophy to be renamed Bobby Orr trophy?

Post by hockeybeats Sun Dec 06, 2009 11:01 am

Satellite Hotstove mentioned the NHL is looking at renaming several trophies (not the Stanley Cup though!)

- Hart (most valuable player) — Gordie Howe.

- Art Ross (most points) — Wayne Gretzky.

- Calder (top rookie) — Mario Lemieux.

- James Norris (top defenceman) — Bobby Orr.

- Lady Byng (most gentlemanly player) — Jean Beliveau.

- Jack Adams (coach of the year) — Scotty Bowman.

As much as I know Gens' fans would probably love to see this, I'm not a fan of tinkering with names. I was really disappointed with the change to geographic division names. Even though I was young, I hated seeing the elimination of the Campbell and Wales conferences and the Norris division, Adams division, etc.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Norris trophy to be renamed Bobby Orr trophy? Empty Re: Norris trophy to be renamed Bobby Orr trophy?

Post by Generalizations Sun Dec 06, 2009 1:38 pm

I'm not in favour of renaming the trophies.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Norris trophy to be renamed Bobby Orr trophy? Empty Re: Norris trophy to be renamed Bobby Orr trophy?

Post by Oshawa fan Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:58 pm

I could perhaps see renaming the Norris and the Hart Trophy but I would have a problem with the others.

Jack Adams clearly deserves a trophy in his name.

I really think they should leave the trophies as they are with no new names.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:02 pm

And yet of all the names mentioned, I'm willing to bet that Lord Stanley of Preston is far less a familiar name then the others that currently grace the trophies.

I was also very disappointed when the names of the conferences and divisions were replaced with the geographical descriptions that we now know them as........I liked it better in the 80's when you had 4 divisions. 1 played 4, 2 played 3, winners played for the division.......it was so linear that way and far easier to follow. Ask me who plays in which division today and I may be stumped. Ask me who played in the Adams divison in 1984 and could tell you....................I guess my point is that they have altered enough with regards to honouring the heritage...........If they did make those choices those would be tough to argue. Did they make a suggestion for the vezina? Brodeur perhaps?
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:06 pm

"Did they make a suggestion for the vezina? Brodeur perhaps?"

Where would that leave George Vezina? How do you honour his heritage as a goaltender?

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:31 am

By leaving the trophy as it is currently named, the Vezina trophy. I'm just asking who "they" would suggest.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by GENNY Fri Dec 11, 2009 11:28 pm

Bobby did rewrite the book on how to play defense but why mess with tradition.
Create a new trophy like the Richard trophy for most goals.
A Bobby Orr trophy for the defenseman with the most points.
GENNY
GENNY

Number of posts : 609
Seat Section : 103
Registration date : 2008-06-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:27 am

I think it's a great notion to want to honour and remember these players (orr, gretzky, etc...) by naming the trophies after them, I understand where the sentiment comes from, but I'm sure that any of those gentlemen would acknowledge that we have a tenous hold on the memories of the men who are currently honoured on said trophies. By honouring them men who currently grace the trophies we honour what was great about this sport when it was in it's infancy, far before it became what it is today or even what it was in the last 1/2 century...........I think plenty has been done to draw attention to the many accomplishments of the men in the "second wave."
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by w cook Sat Dec 12, 2009 10:42 am

Well said Gens Fan, well said.. Can not add a thing to your
comments. You are right. Way to often we ignore the builders
of this wonderful game.

w cook

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-09-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down