Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gens History Help Request

5 posters

Go down

Gens History Help Request Empty Gens History Help Request

Post by jojobacon Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:53 pm

Hello Gens Fans,

I am attempting to assist a former Oshawa Generals player's widow obtain information on her husband Ken Smith's playing career. Specifically we are trying to validate Kenny's story that he scored 9 goals in 2 periods during an Oshawa home game. His wife believes it was achieved during the 1943-44 season when he won the Memorial Cup and the OHA scoring championship but can not be certain that it was this season. Ken Smith played for the Generals during the seasons of 1941-42, 1942-43 and 1943-44. She also states that it was during a home game and the story also was explained that a local businessman visited Kenny during the 2nd intermission and offered him $100 to score again to make 10 goals. Unfortunately, he was unsuccessful and the next game they traveled to Brantford and he did not score at all.

I have contacted the Oshawa Generals' organization and was informed that their records had been lost in the arena fire. They did advise that "The Oshawa Times" had covered the Generals but also had a fire in the 1970's and no longer exist today. I have checked with the Oshawa Public library, the U of Ottawa and they do not have any of the newspaper copies during this time period. I have contacted the Library and Archives Canada and they are also missing the years that I need. I've contacted the OHA/OHL league office without success either. Since we are located in the US, we are trying to use online resources for the research. Can anyone assist with information and any other possible suggestions?

Thank you to all in advance for any assistance,

Joanne Pursel on behalf of Dotty Smith

jojobacon

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-04-27

Back to top Go down

Gens History Help Request Empty Re: Gens History Help Request

Post by steamed Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:37 pm

I googled it and wikied it and I'm sure you did too but the only thing I found he was the scoring leader for
1943-44 so I'm pretty sure he rack up some points.I will keep looking and ask some people I know that might know the ?
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:17 pm

Check in the "History of The Oshawa Generals" book that was published in the 1980's. An accomplishment like that would be noted in such book, as they have pictures of before the fire of that era; I will look when I get home from work tonight.
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by UGENS Wed Apr 28, 2010 4:35 pm

The only thing I found in the 50 year history book on Ken Smith was, he was the Generals scoring leader for that year, but didn't say what the points were and in the final game of the Memorial Cup he scored 3 goals and added 3 assists.

UGENS(Karon)
UGENS
UGENS

Number of posts : 944
Seat Section : Sec 113 row 15 seat 18
Registration date : 2007-01-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Missy Sun May 02, 2010 7:26 pm

Have you tried calling the office and speaking with Colleen? She might have a source.

Missy

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2007-09-19

Back to top Go down

Gens History Help Request Empty Thank you

Post by jojobacon Mon May 03, 2010 5:53 pm

Thank you to everyone for your help.

I have contacted several sources including Colleen at the Gens office, the Oshawa Historical Soceity, Archives Canada, etc. Unfortunately, no one seems to have a record of this accomplishment because the newspapers are missing for the dates needed.

I have been able to obtain all of the M-Cup playoff games played with each game score for the 41-42, 42-43 and 43-44 seasons. I'm putting together the actual dates played on each but none of these games appear to be "the" one for Kenny's 9 goals. I'm now trying to research the regular season schedule for each year in the hopes that a large score may help to isolate "the" game.

Thanks again!

Joanne

jojobacon

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2010-04-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down