Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

need to improve back end..

+6
archer_gens
mygens
gogeneralsgo
Oshawa fan
ohagan
steamed
10 posters

Go down

need to improve back end.. Empty need to improve back end..

Post by steamed Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:16 pm

As much as I do like our back end (Zador included) I see we need 2 things a goaltender that can push Zador and a stat at home D'man, there is 2 out there that maybe had and they play for Barrie a team that will be selling instead of buying which they did alot of that last season.The stud D'man Dalton Prout & goalie Peter DiSalvo I can't see them getting both of them as they are both OA's.Here's the ? which one do you go for.
My choice would be Dalton Prout, and find a 3 yr goaltender to push Zador.
I really don't know what I would give up as players and draft picks but I know Brown(oa) and Bailie would have to go in seperate deals.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

need to improve back end.. Empty Re: need to improve back end..

Post by ohagan Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:35 pm

Good insight steamed but that scenario seems unlikely. protecting our youth and prospects at this stage of development, is paramount right now. But to get a good OA you have to give promising talent or a high draft pick in return. All we can hope for in a trade for Brown or Ballie is a 5th to 7th round draft pick at best.

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:17 pm

I was not saying trade Brown or Ballie I meant if we go after Dalton Prout(OA) or a goalie, Ballie and Brown(OA) would have to be part of (a) the trade, I know we would have to give up alot more in order to get a player like Dalton Prout, it just something I see the Gen's needing.
In order to get something you have to give something and it might be too much for the Gen's to give up at this point of time.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:10 pm

I think the question should be "is this the year to go for an OA to upgrade"

If they added either of the players mentioned does it make them at least win the division. Are they better to build for next year?

I don't know the answer but Steamed is correct about where any upgrades need to be.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by gogeneralsgo Sun Oct 24, 2010 10:51 pm

I am with you Oshawa Fan / Steamed.

If the goal is to go for it next season, move out some players and gte as much experience for the younger guys now.

If we are going to upgrade a few spots (D and G) Prout would be a great pickup. Brown / Baillie / Andreoff / Clark may be players to dangle out there to gte something.

I have always been a big fan of Maggio who went from Sudbury to Guelph. Too bad we did not get him instead of Guelph.

gogeneralsgo

Number of posts : 111
Registration date : 2008-06-02

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:15 pm

Good topic guys , I agree , but I would takenit one step further , I would definitely move brown asap , the guy is a liability on d , I mean he's already a - 6 now in 5 games , it's just not fair to the effort put forth by the rest of the team , i would take any draft choice for him , to get him off the ice and let one of the young hard working kids get the ice time , we would be better off !
Furthermore forget getting another goalie to push zador , I say get another goalie period to take his place ,let him go . He,s had his chance his save percentage is now .88 pretty crumby , I mean the gens play a great road game today , outshooting Ottawa , and still lose , with zador giving up 3 goals on only 19 shots , wth ........so there it's is I love the new team over the teams the past 3 years , but my pet peaves this year are zador and brown .......move em , pls.

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:19 pm

Anyone know why zupancic isn't playing , I thought he was very steady back there , he has a great plus minus for a defenseman that isn't really offensive minded , why isn't he playing ?

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:34 pm

I will be mad if we trade for either of those players. Unless they want someone like wilson or bailie

which they won't

the only upgrades we need to make is for players that will be here this year and next year.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:19 am

steamed wrote:As much as I do like our back end (Zador included) I see we need 2 things a goaltender that can push Zador and a stat at home D'man, there is 2 out there that maybe had and they play for Barrie a team that will be selling instead of buying which they did alot of that last season.The stud D'man Dalton Prout & goalie Peter DiSalvo I can't see them getting both of them as they are both OA's.Here's the ? which one do you go for.
I really don't know what I would give up as players and draft picks but I know Brown(oa) and Bailie would have to go in seperate deals.

Steamed didn't you complain when Selwood made a similar deal in giving up Shugg Mitchell and all those seconds for Neuvirth ? what do you think it would cost the Gens to get Dalton Prout and Peter DiSalvo ? this is not our year, not yet. Next year, we go will have all the pieces in place, this year is just a bonus and experience. Any trade for Prout would involve Jensen or Laughton and a Cody Payne.. not gonna happen (well we hope)
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:45 am

bigE88 wrote:
steamed wrote:As much as I do like our back end (Zador included) I see we need 2 things a goaltender that can push Zador and a stat at home D'man, there is 2 out there that maybe had and they play for Barrie a team that will be selling instead of buying which they did alot of that last season.The stud D'man Dalton Prout & goalie Peter DiSalvo I can't see them getting both of them as they are both OA's.Here's the ? which one do you go for.

Steamed didn't you complain when Selwood made a similar deal in giving up Shugg Mitchell and all those seconds for Neuvirth ? what do you think it would cost the Gens to get Dalton Prout and Peter DiSalvo ? this is not our year, not yet. Next year, we go will have all the pieces in place, this year is just a bonus and experience. Any trade for Prout would involve Jensen or Laughton and a Cody Payne.. not gonna happen (well we hope)

Yeah I did but Brown & Baillie are not Laughton and a Cody Payne which I didn't meantion in my post.I was saying IF you GOT an OA and a goalie YOU would have to get ride of an OA and a goalie because we have 3 OA's and a goalie.if you have read my post I said My choice would be Dalton Prout, and find a 3 yr goaltender to push Zador.please read the post.I was just saying what I think the Gen's need.and you can't always say next year is the year because we have 3 players slated to go in the 1st rd in the NHL draft(Jenner,Jensen & Lessio)and are not a sure thing to return,and we definatly lose Berger & Dehan. if the right deal presents it self to improve this year you have to make it.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:51 am

hahaha you think Jensen, Jenner or Lessio are going to stick in the NHL?

They are not Tavares, or any of the other 18 year olds that do for that matter. Oops if I'm wrong. But your best chance at winning is to trade Dehaan for pieces for next year. Heck if you know the above three will for sure not be back then they can be trade bait as well. We don't have enough in the cupboards to make a run this year so why try.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:11 pm

archer_gens wrote:hahaha you think Jensen, Jenner or Lessio are going to stick in the NHL?

They are not Tavares, or any of the other 18 year olds that do for that matter. Oops if I'm wrong. But your best chance at winning is to trade Dehaan for pieces for next year. Heck if you know the above three will for sure not be back then they can be trade bait as well. We don't have enough in the cupboards to make a run this year so why try.

Again read my post I did not say they will stick,I said THERE ARE NOT A SURE THING TO RETURN.I didn't say they are going to stick in the NHL Rolling Eyes
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by drifter Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:27 pm

Good topic, I say trade De Haan for a goalie come late Dec. early Jan. IMO he won't be back and we will at least see something in return. I'm not saying I want him to go. But to me makes sense. Also get Hope back in the line up. he has been playing good when he is playing. We need a goalie big time though. if we expect to go into the playoffs.

drifter
drifter

Number of posts : 272
Seat Section : 115 row 7
Registration date : 2008-01-27

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan4life Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:36 pm

i'd rather get rid of bailie instead of zador no offense to bailie he just isn't a good goalie.
generalsfan4life
generalsfan4life

Number of posts : 125
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:52 pm

It would be Great to get rid of both - but it doesn't work that way

You cannot get rid of your youngest goalie then have Zador who is 19

what if he dicides to go the university route next yr then who is in net

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan4life Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:47 pm

ya i know that's true but i doubt there's any team wanting to trade goalie right now maybe at the deadline.
generalsfan4life
generalsfan4life

Number of posts : 125
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:29 am

This thread should have read - our back end could improve - rather than change - I like our back end - it will take time

They held Ottawa to 16 shots in 60 minutes - Not bad

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:58 am

Gens Camper wrote:This thread should have read - our back end could improve - rather than change - I like our back end - it will take time

They held Ottawa to 16 shots in 60 minutes - Not bad

And furthermore, Zadore was stopping shots in the shootout as well. Best defensive effort so far this season!

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:38 pm

Well I have to say zador looked great against bellville ,here's hoping this is the new and improved zador ,I thought he should have been one of the 3stars , he made some big saves that actually made the 6 ti 1score so flattering

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down