Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Drafting must improve or the team won't improve

+4
mygens
gensman
steamed
Gens Camper
8 posters

Go down

Drafting must improve or the team won't improve Empty Drafting must improve or the team won't improve

Post by Gens Camper Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:45 am

In 2007 - we drafted Justin Shugg - traded Windsor deal - David Corrente - now with Majors then Calvin De haan great pick - then Esposto and Andreoff

In 2008 - Kevin Baille - then John Padulo - then Zach Shapiro - did not report

In 2009 - Boone Jenner +Tyler Biggs - no show - Sullentroop - Kyle Hope - Jimmy Mcdowwell

In 2010 - 5 picks in the first 3 rounds - we need some home runs

If you look at 2008 draft - very weak draft - BUT I feel we have better scouts than our 2008 draft year- don't blame Baille that

he was drafted 1 st rd after all so was Zador and the Bulls goalie last night - goalies take longer to mature - more so on a bad team

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Drafting must improve or the team won't improve Empty Re: Drafting must improve or the team won't improve

Post by steamed Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:03 am

Zach Shapiro did report but didn't make the team I was there @ the training camp that year. Tyler Biggs - no show.May still show up.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Drafting must improve or the team won't improve Empty Re: Drafting must improve or the team won't improve

Post by gensman Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:30 am

Agreed! Drafting success is a function of franchise success. Top players hunt out contending organizations. 'No Shows' are the bane and death knell for a team hoping for an 'up cycle'! Lots of work must be done in the drafting department by a 'full time dedicated GM' who beats the bushes to upgrade the roster with committed players!

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:47 am

what drafts do we have in 2010 besides our own first picks ?

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Thu Mar 11, 2010 11:51 am

espostos , padulo ,corrente shapiro . biggs , very poor drafts , really hurt us , last years draft much better !!! this years draft has to be as good or better than last year or we are screwed for a few more years . ........personally i dont want dipiero involved period .....PLS GET DIPIERO OUT OF HERE !!!!!

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Thu Mar 11, 2010 12:41 pm

Good points. Urgency is definately an issue here. The future of this franchise cannot let be left to fester or flounder as it has. EVERYONE has to be on the same page! The blueprint needs to be drawn up day 1 after this campaign comes to a merciful end!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:05 pm

On Zach Shapiro - - 3rd rd pick and couldn't make the team
means a poor pick

This year we have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and that is

3rd overall and 23 rd overall plus 3 - 3rds

Our 3rd and 23 - should impact our team next year

On Biggs - MAY show is just not good enough - some reports say he is locked into his contract for 2 yrs

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Thu Mar 11, 2010 1:25 pm

Zach Shapiro Dad was one of the people intrested in purchasing the team, maybe that's why he was drafted so high Shocked
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:49 pm

yes , # 3 and # 23 , should play for sure in 2010 , any i deas who that # 3 would be ? forward ? defensemen ? do we use one of the 3rds for the best goalie available ? ......or even #23 for a goalie ?

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Mar 11, 2010 3:24 pm

We need big time help up front. I see us using #3 and #23 for forwards, preferably big strong goal scoring wingers unless there is another Jenner available. Draft a goalie later as I think one of our two incumbents, probably Baillie, will come around with some good goalie coaching. Most "top three" draftees tend to be centres (look at the top 6 chosen last year), Puemple being the exception. Also high are defencemen but I don't think we will draft defencemen this year in the top rounds as we have a good nucleus returning. Two top notch Euros would help.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Generalizations Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:25 pm

mygens wrote:espostos , padulo ,corrente shapiro . biggs , very poor drafts , really hurt us , last years draft much better !!! this years draft has to be as good or better than last year or we are screwed for a few more years . ........personally i dont want dipiero involved period .....PLS GET DIPIERO OUT OF HERE !!!!!

The only player on your list the was drafted by DiPiero was Biggs. We still don't know for sure if he will report. Esposto, Padulo and Shapiro were bad picks. Corrente was a good pick, but suffered injuries here and poor coaching. He got out while he could and is having a breakout year for the Majors.

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Mar 12, 2010 5:51 pm

As of now - No BIGGS

until he shows - it's a bad pick

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:59 am

Now more than ever the GM's duty must be done professionally and properly. No more hoping and/or guess work! Someone needs to be selected to ensure this is a banner draft year! Period!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:17 am

gensman wrote:Now more than ever the GM's duty must be done professionally and properly. No more hoping and/or guess work! Someone needs to be selected to ensure this is a banner draft year! Period!

So your plan is to pick a brand new GM with only seven weeks to go to prepare for the draft. Sounds like a plan for failure to me.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:25 am

The scouting staff has been in place for sometime , I am confident they will get the job done. As for Dips , how much minor hockey do you think he has watched over the course of the year .

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:26 am

We finally agree and who wudda thunk? Addressing the GM situation sure is a sticky wicket indeed. No easy answer from me on that one but I hope ownership is all over that like a fat kid on a Smartie!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down