Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eastern Conference race

+10
Oshawa fan
ogf
jaycro
newgensfan85
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
bigE88
ohagan
archer_gens
Gens Camper
hockeybeats
14 posters

Go down

Eastern Conference race Empty Eastern Conference race

Post by hockeybeats Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:35 am

Gens now tied for first in the division. They could pull ahead this weekend if they can beat Belleville and Peterborough. Kingston will be at home against the Soo and Sarnia.

The division lead will be really important this year. The gap between sixth and seventh is widening fast. If things continue as they are now, a division title means playing against a #7 seed like Belleville, Sudbury or Peterborough who have a winning percentage of around .300. Finishing with a #3 or #4 seed means a tough matchup against Ottawa or Brampton. Anything can happen in the playoffs but it's not often that a #7 seed would be playing .300 hockey and I can't see either of the bottom four improving that much between now and March.

The Generals need to stockpile points over this easy stretch of the schedule and not take these teams lightly.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Eastern Conference race Empty Gens chances just a little slimmer

Post by Gens Camper Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:15 pm

You are right we do need to stock pile points - However we have 4 Gens in the Super series playing in London plus 2 week end games

Also Kingston just got a whole lot better after picking up Spooner from the Petes

Here's the final deal: #Kingston sends Quine, Seymour a 2nd in 2011 & a cond. 2nd in 2013 to #Peterborough for Spooner & Braithwaite #OHL

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Eastern Conference race Empty Re: Eastern Conference race

Post by archer_gens Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Both Ottawa and Kingston got better today. The Generals probably won't follow suit. Meaning we are looking at 5th instead of 2nd place right now unless the Icedogs cool off then maybe 4th.

archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:51 pm

archer_gens wrote:Both Ottawa and Kingston got better today. The Generals probably won't follow suit. Meaning we are looking at 5th instead of 2nd place right now unless the Icedogs cool off then maybe 4th.

Just wondering? how did 67's get better today? Maybe Imissed something?

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:57 pm

ohagan wrote:
archer_gens wrote:Both Ottawa and Kingston got better today. The Generals probably won't follow suit. Meaning we are looking at 5th instead of 2nd place right now unless the Icedogs cool off then maybe 4th.

Just wondering? how did 67's get better today? Maybe Imissed something?

Ottawa traded for Jake Cardwell from Sudbury. Damn, he would have looked good in a Gens uniform. But stay the ship Dips, get this team to gel a bit better and we will be ok
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:08 pm

If stay the ship means do whatever needs to be done to get better for next year I agree Very Happy
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:52 am

im confident a deal will be made sooner than later

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by newgensfan85 Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:06 am

i believe we will see someone go but i dont see it being any thing big

newgensfan85

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:55 am

I can't see us making any moves at all - I like our team the way it is

In order to make a trade someone would have to be traded or request a trade and I can't see it happening. We made most of our deletions at the start of the year.

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:38 pm

Exactly! This is not our year. The Petes and Bellevegas are both also building to next year.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:57 pm

I am not saying we should go for it this year, but I will say that Kingston and Ottawa getting better does hurt us. I have a question in regards to alot of people saying this is not our year, next year is. What do you think of this years team without Berger, DeHart, Brown, de Haan, Valentine, Andreoff, Zador and maybe even Thomas?

Berger, DeHart and Brown will not be back next year as they are OA this year.

Valentine, Andreoff, de Haan and Zador are potential OAs next year. Would we want to use an OA spot for Zador? I'm not so sure. de Haan has a good shot at making the Islanders and if he doesn't, I believe they will have him play in the AHL. I also believe that Valentine and Andreoff will be playing AHL.

Thomas, although maybe a long shot, does have a chance to crack the NYR. He had a great camp this year, and in the economic time of Salary cap may just stay next year.

I write this all to say that next year is not necessarily the for sure 'year of the Gens' that alot of people seem to think it is.

It is a very hard question the organization has to answer. In Junior, you have to go for it when you have the most talent...for the Gens, when is that?

It is really too bad that Missy is as good as they are. With a couple of changes, I think the Gens could be better than Kingston and Ottawa, but what will it take to be better than Missy.

What are everyone's thoughts?

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Eastern Conference race Empty Eastern conference race

Post by Gens Camper Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:14 pm

I really think that most of us - do not want major changes right now - Kingston will be in BIG trouble next yr and for sure in 2 yrs and are goiung for it now

The only way that Calvin gets traded is - If he is OK with it like JT was and we get a top prospect on defence + picks

No one is going to beat Missy - in order for an East team to be in the Cup is to win the OHL title

Andreoff and Thomas will both be back next yr - hopefully Valentine too

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Andreoff will be back if he is the best OA they can find. Valentine potentially although he might play in the AHL as that might well do more for his development.

I would hope Thomas will be back but he could surprise and make the Rangers. I think it is more likely he will be back.

De Haan will not be back.

As to making a trade this year it cannot weaken the team for next year.

Dehart or Berger may bring some interest but I am not really certain that they would bring enough to make a trade worthwhile.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by bigE88 Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:54 pm

ogf wrote:I am not saying we should go for it this year, but I will say that Kingston and Ottawa getting better does hurt us. I have a question in regards to alot of people saying this is not our year, next year is. What do you think of this years team without Berger, DeHart, Brown, de Haan, Valentine, Andreoff, Zador and maybe even Thomas?

Berger, DeHart and Brown will not be back next year as they are OA this year.

Valentine, Andreoff, de Haan and Zador are potential OAs next year. Would we want to use an OA spot for Zador? I'm not so sure. de Haan has a good shot at making the Islanders and if he doesn't, I believe they will have him play in the AHL. I also believe that Valentine and Andreoff will be playing AHL.

Thomas, although maybe a long shot, does have a chance to crack the NYR. He had a great camp this year, and in the economic time of Salary cap may just stay next year.

I write this all to say that next year is not necessarily the for sure 'year of the Gens' that alot of people seem to think it is.

It is a very hard question the organization has to answer. In Junior, you have to go for it when you have the most talent...for the Gens, when is that?

It is really too bad that Missy is as good as they are. With a couple of changes, I think the Gens could be better than Kingston and Ottawa, but what will it take to be better than Missy.

What are everyone's thoughts?

good point,
you would hope Thomas, Andreoff and Zador are back but for sure Valentine, deHaan, will be gone. I think more people are hoping the development of Lessio, Jenner, Jensen, Laughton, Thomas, Labardo, Sullentrop, Hope, Mcdowell, and maybe, and just maybe a Tyler Biggs are the reason we are saying next year. But I do agree, maybe this year we should go for it, without giving up too much in return.
bigE88
bigE88

Number of posts : 494
Registration date : 2007-11-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:19 pm

archer_gens wrote:If stay the ship means do whatever needs to be done to get better for next year I agree Very Happy

This. ^

Compete and aim high this year, but don't mortgage the future for this year.

Lefty
Lefty

Number of posts : 60
Seat Section : Anywhere in the GMC
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:23 pm

jaycro wrote:Exactly! This is not our year. The Petes and Bellevegas are both also building to next year.

Off topic, but can someone tell me why Belleville has been called "Bellevegas" for the last several years?
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:08 pm

This was in yesterdays Durham news, and I agree this team is not going to sell the farm for this year next year is the goal,even with the likes of Jenner,Lessio,Jenson slated in the 1st round of the NHL draft,I think they'll be back and with the addition of maybe Biggs.Know saying that it wouldn't surprise me if they trade Dehaan @ the deadline as I don't think he will be back next season as he almost made the team the past 2.but won't be dissappointed if he is not.

Here is the Quote:
When asked if he would even consider pursuing the likes of Kassian or Ellis, he admitted, "It doesn't make sense for us to do that based on the nucleus of young talent that's been created here."
Continuing the conversation, however, it becomes clear DePiero will not sacrifice the gains he has made the past two years.
This, surely, is good news for fans of the team. While DePiero is open to improving this year's team to some degree if he can, he's not about to sell the farm and destroy what figures to be an even more promising season to follow. Very Happy

steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:12 pm

This is refreshing to hear after the Sell the farm Sellwood era

Only 1 team can win and we are not even close - let Kingston give away their future - our turn is yet to come

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sat Nov 13, 2010 2:42 pm

I agree with lefty , you can improve the team without compromising the future , and you should never put all your efforts into one year next year , because strange things happen in the lives of young hockey players , next year may not pan out 100 percent of what you expect , this team can compete with anyone if they get stellar goaltending and come to play every night , missi 's record is more about playing as a team , they come to play every night , they are not a star laden team , to me it's wide open this , there are many teams in the mix ......

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:40 am

Yes I agree - We should aim high every year - just not foolish trades

that compromise the future

My point is - I don't think anyone has played themselves off of this team yet

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Tue Nov 16, 2010 4:10 pm

Lefty wrote:
jaycro wrote:Exactly! This is not our year. The Petes and Bellevegas are both also building to next year.

Off topic, but can someone tell me why Belleville has been called "Bellevegas" for the last several years?

I asked the same question to a former resident. She explained to me that it is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that Belleville is an unglamourous, blue-colour town.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:44 pm

Gens Fan 112 wrote:
Lefty wrote:

I asked the same question to a former resident. She explained to me that it is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the fact that Belleville is an unglamourous, blue-colour town.

Thanks B. I was hoping there was a more entertaining answer than that behind it though. lol
Lefty
Lefty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down