Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gens @ Windsor Friday Nov 26th/2010

+9
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
newgensfan85
hockeybeats
ogf
Hayes#21
JPH
steamed
ohagan
generalsfan4life
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Gens @ Windsor Friday Nov 26th/2010  - Page 2 Empty Re: Gens @ Windsor Friday Nov 26th/2010

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:39 pm

My Point beats ( our goaltending is just average ) but wait until we start playing teams on a consistent basis above .500 , then where will our goaltending be !Below average like it has been for a couple of years. And come playoff time average gaoltending does not make you successful

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Gens @ Windsor Friday Nov 26th/2010  - Page 2 Empty Re: Gens @ Windsor Friday Nov 26th/2010

Post by hockeybeats Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:59 pm

I disagree because the Gens have been competitive with .500+ teams all season. They've had three games where they have lost convincingly.

Mississauga - who hasn't lost to Mississauga?
Saginaw - really tough team, we wouldn't have to face Saginaw in a playoff matchup until the finals and losing in the finals would already be a successful season given that the Gens are building for next year
Windsor - first game against a tough team over a long stretch

Also, in any of these games, goaltending was not the reason for the loss, it was defensive breakdowns. I know some will argue that the goalie needs to steal games for you but that only works up to a certain point. Against Windsor in particular, you can fault the D just as much as you can blame the goaltending.

The real barometer on how the Gens will do in the playoffs is games against Niagara, Ottawa and Kingston. They are better than all of those teams and just need to make sure they finish 3rd or better so they can avoid Mississauga in the first two rounds. A .500 record against the contenders is good enough if you are beating the teams below you in the standings and the Gens have largely been doing that.

I'm confident that even with no trades, the Generals will win at least eight playoff games this year. If I'm wrong, you can let me have it on this message board. Laughing

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:32 pm

And defence starts from the goal out .Can't wait for playoff time Wink

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:13 pm

This game against Windsor, the goaltending was not the problem I don't care how great your goalie is, if the other team has 5 or 6 chances everytime, because your D is not supporting the play, you can't blame the goalie.

The Windsor loss, was poor defensive effort by the whole team. And the team left both Goalies out to dry.

Our goalies are never going to steal a game ever. So the defense has to be better aware of the players in the defensive end. Too many players with the wrong colored jersey's in front of our net either alone or getting 5 or 6 hacks before a General makes a move to stop him. Can't blame the goalie for that. Sorry.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:35 am

comments from the "noof"

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:47 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ForestGlade wrote:
Two in-game notes

1) FOUR GOAL CAMPBELL IS DEAD! LONG LIVE JACK CAMPBELL SUPERSTAR!

2) 5-1 Spits after two, shots are 32-20 Gens. Que?

Wierd eh? I can't remember the last time I've seen the Spits get dominated that badly in a period.

While the Gens are hella explosive on offense, their defense is really letting them down tonight. Spits having an easy ride infront of the net.

Posted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Spits take this game 5-2 on the back of Jack Campbell! Boy was he amazing tonight and he definately stole this one for the Spits.

Oshawa is quite the exciting team. Spits took it to them for the first 10 minutes of the 1st... but the Gens started rolling after that....and kept rolling. Campbell was just a bit better. The Gens defense really let them down though tonight. The Spit players had free roam around the net.

It didn't show on the score sheet, but I though Locke had a great game tonight. He was buzzing around all night and gave the Generals defense fits with his forecheck.

Posted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 3:41 pm Post subject:

generals hockeybeats wrote:
10 of the previous 11 games for the Gens were against sub. 500 teams.

Barrie, Erie (X2), Peterborough (X2), Belleville (X3), Sudbury, Sault Ste. Marie, and a game against Mississauga in the middle of that where they lost 4-1.

I think they picked up some bad habits over this stretch and got away with it because of the weak opposition and that demonstrated itself last night. They got so used to playing against weaker teams that they had a bit of a rude awakening. When the schedule gets tougher, they will be forced to correct those bad habits and be more defensively responsible.
After watching them last night, this team is better off to stand pat and contend next year. They pretty much had their way with the Spits but couldn't finish as Campbell stood on his head along with some luck and stole this game. This is going to be one good team next year.
There were a couple of situations where it was all Oshawa then the Spits would carry the puck out of their zone and capitalize on a harmless play.
Their achilles heels appears to be the defense and goal. Even when Tavares was there it seemed the goaltending was just average till they traded for Neuvirth but unfortunatelty got injured in the playoffs. It goes to show the importance of a back-up goalie.
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:02 pm

To clarify, what I wrote ended at "and be more defensively responsible."

Everything after that was written by 5 for fighting.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:37 pm

We have improved over last yr - so lets move on - The rebuild started 2 yrs ago on Def last draft was on the forwards next yr in net then LOOKOUT.

We all know that in net we are not the greatest but better than last yr and let me point out that in London when Mason got hot he was 18 - before that he was terrible who knows Baille may yet be that good

In Windsor all their goals what 3- 4 players banging near the net and our guys watching

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:16 pm

Does anyone think that the absence of Scott Valentine hurt the defensive play?
I think that may be a factor in the Gens end.

I am content with the progress. I do hope for better things next season.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2