Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Canada vs Switzerland

+14
steamed
stiffya74
Hayes#21
gensfandeb
generalsfan4life
ohagan
Gens_Fan_22
blakejo
Kevy
generalsfan
ogf
Oshawa fan
Generalizations
hockeybeats
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Canada vs Switzerland Empty Canada vs Switzerland

Post by hockeybeats Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:44 pm

Just a heads-up, it sounds like all announcements will be bilingual so you will only hear them once in English. The repetition for goals and penalties will be in French so if you're really interested in hearing what the penalty was and tend to miss it the first time, start googling and looking for French translations of all the possible penalties! Laughing

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Canada vs Switzerland Empty Re: Canada vs Switzerland

Post by Generalizations Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:09 pm

Let's go for German, Italian and Romansch too Smile

Generalizations

Number of posts : 435
Seat Section : Section 120
Registration date : 2009-01-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:15 pm

Beats

You will be doing them en francais?

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Oui, je ferai les annonces en français! Very Happy

I'm looking forward to it, it's gonna be an interesting challenge. I remember some of the common penalties from watching the Habs on RDS when I lived in Quebec City. I have to study some of the more obscure ones just in case.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:33 pm

hockeybeats wrote:Oui, je ferai les annonces en français! Very Happy

I'm looking forward to it, it's gonna be an interesting challenge. I remember some of the common penalties from watching the Habs on RDS when I lived in Quebec City. I have to study some of the more obscure ones just in case.

Or watch the Ref when he makes the call at the Penalty Box Wink

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Thu Dec 09, 2010 12:22 am

hockeybeats wrote: I have to study some of the more obscure ones just in case.

Like a slewfoot. Laughing

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Looking forward to this one tonight...atmosphere should be great!

Beats, will we get Gens goal celebration music for Canada goals tonight?

generalsfan

Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2007-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevy Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:23 pm

Visentin

Olsen-Ellis
Cowen-de Haan
Depres-Gudbranson
Barrie

Schwartz-Schenn-Leblanc
Kassian-Couturier-Foligno
Eakin-Johnsson-Connolly
Howden-Cizikas-Ashton
Hamilton
Kevy
Kevy

Number of posts : 789
Seat Section : 114 Row 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:38 pm

So how long before zak kassian does something stupid tonight or in the tournement,all eyes will be watching him,hes a dirty player,always has and always will be.I wonder if he gets booed tonight cause i know hes not liked here in the shwa.I for one hatem.

Back to top Go down

Post by blakejo Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:47 pm

As my daughter reminded me yesterday

"You hate Ryan Ellis for Windsor, but you support him for Team Canada - right"

She got me there, and in truth tht is the way it should be.

Hated Kadri for London, but now he's in the NHL - gotta support him as he is representing the OHL - bit of a twist on the above but in the same vein.
blakejo
blakejo

Number of posts : 68
Seat Section : 117
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevy Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:05 pm

gensfanforever wrote:So how long before zak kassian does something stupid tonight or in the tournement,all eyes will be watching him,hes a dirty player,always has and always will be.I wonder if he gets booed tonight cause i know hes not liked here in the shwa.I for one hatem.

This is just like many players that have played for Team Canada at the WJC. Steve Downie, Stefan Legein, and Stefan Della Rovere come to mind in recent years. They have to walk that line between being physical, and doing something stupid...but can't cross it. Players have succeeded in doing that. He will not get booed tonight...as he his representing his country. Our country. Not Windsor...not Peterborough....Canada
Kevy
Kevy

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:38 pm

generalsfan wrote:Looking forward to this one tonight...atmosphere should be great!

Beats, will we get Gens goal celebration music for Canada goals tonight?

Nope! You'll see at the game! Very Happy

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:21 pm

Whether they play for Canada or not........I will not cheer for Kassian or Eliis.
No boos...just no applause.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:01 pm

I can't wait to go to the game. I bet Calvin gets a standing O from the fans when his name is introduced.

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Mon Dec 20, 2010 7:04 pm

Gens_Fan_22 wrote:..I will not cheer for Kassian or Eliis.
Kassian perhaps I understand due to the way he plays but not cheering for Ellis I don't get. I guess on that basis there were a lot of fans from other centers who did not cheer for JT.

These are Canada's elite juniors and are entitled to our 100% support as such. I will be cheering for all of them.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan4life Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:09 pm

yay 4-0 canada in the 2nd period.
generalsfan4life
generalsfan4life

Number of posts : 125
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:36 am

This was great from a Canada win point of view, but I am very disappointed in Oshawa. I have attended the pre tournament games over the past years, and this years` production in Oshawa was the worse. Last year in Hamilton was the best. The crowd in Oshawa tonight was so quiet. The people beside me clapped nicely when Canada scored and sat there with no emotion the rest of the game. The rest of the crowd was the same as it was really quiet. One of the greatest things in a junior `Christmas`game is the playing of the National Anthem for the winning team. This was not done. Game ended and the players left the ice. Last year in Hamilton, it was awesome when they played the anthem for the winning Canada Team. Oshawa really dropped the ball in a lot of things tonight; too bad, but not surprising.

Sorry Beats, but the Kiss goal song in the first period was not only not enjoyed by me, but by many around me.

ogf

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:16 am

The game in Hamilton was two years ago and although it was 7-0, it was against a stronger team that kept it close for far longer. This game was a blowout from the first couple of minutes. That's hardly a fair comparison. The game in Hamilton was 1-0 after one period and 3-0 heading into the third, a far more competitive game. Slovakia actually outshot Canada in the first. If not for a combination of great Swiss goaltending and Canada letting up in the third, this would have been one of those games where Canada scores in the teens. Crowds don't typically get overly excited after the first few minutes for such one-sided games.

National anthem for the winning team is done for the tournament games, not for the exhibition games. That's the instructions given from Hockey Canada and the IIHF. Why do you assume that somehow the Generals staff are responsible for sabotaging your good time? This is a pretty complex production, there's a lot going on and we are dependent on Hockey Canada for instructions on all the logistics of pulling this game off. For example, if Switzerland had scored, I was supposed to have a goal song for them as well and they get a goal horn (moot point because they didn't score). Also, a national anthem singer is not allowed unless both anthems are sung. There are a lot of rules and customs that go with an international game, you can't just do what you want.

As for not liking KISS, there's over 6000 people there. I'm sure somebody liked it. I tried something new, if it works, fantastic. If it doesn't, too bad. If I never experimented, the music would be pretty dull. And I would never expect every single person to like every song. In addition, any song also loses its effect when it's played three times in three minutes. If some people had their way, you would've heard the same song eight times so there's something I did that you liked.

I thought most people seemed like they had a great time at the game! For a blowout game, the atmosphere was pretty good and there was a great crowd participation for Rock n' Roll part two on the 8th goal. You aren't going to have very many nights where you can get the crowd into it for the 8th goal of an 8-0 game. I was pretty happy with tonight and I absolutely loved doing the French announcements, I had a great time! It was also cool to see Pierre Maguire down at ice level. I'm not a fan of his but I still love seeing these well-known personalities in Oshawa, like when Don Cherry was there for the Prospects game.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:37 am

Beats...
1. They did the Anthem after the game in Hamilton...I was there.
2. Hamilton fans were in it from the start....Oshawa was not.
3. I never said anything about the Generals..I said Oshawa You do understand the diff...right?
4. actually I like KISS...they were one of my fav bands growing up and I have all their RECORDS. I didn't say I didn't like the band, I said I didn't like the GOAL SONG. Big diff. I like lots of songs....not all are goal songs.

Oshawa blew it....say what you will, you work there. I spoke to many people who feel my way. I am sure you spoke to many people that work there that thought it was great.

Whatever, the night is over and I still had fun

Go Canada Go.....

ogf

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:00 am

1. I didn't say that Hamilton didn't do the anthem - I said that those were the instructions we were given. Either Hamilton was given a different protocol or they didn't follow this protocol.

2. The fans were in it at the start. The environment was fantastic for the intros and the anthems, especially when De Haan was announced. Then it was 3-0 five minutes into the game and the blowout was on. If it was 3-0 after five minutes in Hamilton, that crowd would not have been as special as you remember. For the best of hockey environments, you need a reasonably close, entertaining hockey game. Last year's WJC in Saskatchewan had an amazing atmosphere - but the 16-0 opener against Latvia did not.

I never said anything about the Generals..I said Oshawa You do understand the diff...right?

Oshawa blew it....say what you will, you work there. I spoke to many people who feel my way. I am sure you spoke to many people that work there that thought it was great.

Sounds to me like you're taking a shot at the Generals as an organization. If I work "there", it's with the Generals. I don't work for the city of Oshawa. What do you mean by Oshawa? The local government? The people of Oshawa? The city itself always disappoints you? Mixed message here.

4. Same point - out of 6000 people, I'm sure some liked the goal song and some didn't - just like some people like Chelsea Dagger and some hate it. Either way, I experimented. You're entitled to your opinion - and I'm entitled to use this game to experiment, have some fun and try out different goal songs.

When I said a lot of people seemed like they had a great time, I don't mean fellow co-workers, I'm talking about the fans leaving the game in a celebratory mood - many of which probably don't even know or care what the first period goal song was, they just had an enjoyable evening out and got to see Canada's best in action. You can often tell watching a big crowd or even an individual family or person that they are having a good time.

I'm glad you still had fun, so did I!

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:15 am

First....I thought that you worked for the City of Oshawa.....doing the music at the GMC. I didn't think you worked for the Generals. Either way, this was a Team Canada Post and NO one mentioned the Generals except you. I didn't believe the Generals put on this game and that is why I blamed Oshawa.
Last...I could give a crap what you say to protect/plug/whatever this game. The score in Hamilton could have been 8-0 after 5 minutes and it wouldn't have made a diff. Hamilton had lots of stuff going on and sales of Canada goods, and food, and flags, and singing, and etc, etc, etc. Oshawa had nothing. I don't care what you say, I lived it.....I was there, it was an experience I will never forget....was tonight for you? I know I have had more fun at Gens games....there I said Gens.

If Oshawa (as a City...not the hockey team) wants to step up....they need to do a better job than what was done tonight.

ogf

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevy Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:25 am

On another note...

Does anyone know where Calvin pointed with a smile after he scored?

From where I was sitting...it looked like he was pointing in the direction of Karon (UGENS)
Kevy
Kevy

Back to top Go down

Post by gensfandeb Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:28 am

Kevy wrote:On another note...

Does anyone know where Calvin pointed with a smile after he scored?

From where I was sitting...it looked like he was pointing in the direction of Karon (UGENS)

Calvin pointed to his mom and dad, they were sitting in the row in front of us.

gensfandeb

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:04 am

ogf wrote:First....I thought that you worked for the City of Oshawa.....doing the music at the GMC. I didn't think you worked for the Generals. Either way, this was a Team Canada Post and NO one mentioned the Generals except you. I didn't believe the Generals put on this game and that is why I blamed Oshawa.
Last...I could give a crap what you say to protect/plug/whatever this game. The score in Hamilton could have been 8-0 after 5 minutes and it wouldn't have made a diff. Hamilton had lots of stuff going on and sales of Canada goods, and food, and flags, and singing, and etc, etc, etc. Oshawa had nothing. I don't care what you say, I lived it.....I was there, it was an experience I will never forget....was tonight for you? I know I have had more fun at Gens games....there I said Gens.

If Oshawa (as a City...not the hockey team) wants to step up....they need to do a better job than what was done tonight.

The City of Oshawa owns the building and pays the bills but they are not involved in actually running anything. Municipal governments aren't in the business of operating modern entertainment facilities like the GMC or planning shows, they hire others to do that for them. For example, the city of Toronto owns BMO Field but it is operated by Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment. Same idea at the General Motors Centre - owned by the city of Oshawa but operated by Global Spectrum. The Generals are the main tenant. This event is run by the Generals in the sense that they provide the staff for the typical gameday that you're used to seeing at the GMC - Terry Johnston announcing, the music and video people, volunteers to sell programs, etc. but all of this is done under the direction of Hockey Canada. We know the building, they know how to conduct an international event. This is their show and on a higher level, they are under the direction of the IIHF who would be the authority on anything that happens at an international event (For example, national anthem protocol - a school group would not have been allowed for this - unless they sang both anthems). Tomorrow, in a similar fashion, the ACC staff that are normally used for a Leaf game will be used by Hockey Canada for their event - Canada vs Sweden. For all I know, maybe the simplest explanation for the post-game anthem two years ago is that it was IIHF custom to do so in 2008 but not in 2010 for pre-tournament games. Oshawa can't overrule that. Whether the rules have changed or not, those were the rules provided.

The Generals (or Oshawa or Hamilton for that matter) also cannot sell Team Canada merchandise. Hockey Canada sells Team Canada merchandise - they own the copyright for it. There was a kiosk selling Team Canada stuff near the main entrance. If Hamilton had more, it's because Hockey Canada chose to have more products available. Since there was 16,000 people to sell stuff to in Hamilton instead of 6000, it would logically follow that there would be more going on than in Oshawa. Maybe most of their stuff is at the ACC already because the crowd would be larger? No idea. But either way, you're blaming Oshawa for things that they really have no input into - and that's not quite fair. All the sponsors and promotions for this are Hockey Canada sponsors and promotions.

The city of Hamilton did nothing when it comes to all of the things that you think were better about that game. They aren't in the business of planning events. It would have been the Copps Coliseum staff that run the Bulldogs games under the supervision of Hockey Canada. Both your blame and your praise are directed to the inappropriate party. Whatever was provided would have been done by Hockey Canada. And if you're talking about crowd noise, well, that's up to the crowd. You choose to blame Oshawa fans for being a lame crowd compared to Hamilton and you're entitled to your opinion. I believe that the nature of the game being a blowout is what made the atmosphere not quite as good as Hamilton and I am entitled to hold that opinion. We'll have to agree to disagree.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:54 am

I loved the game last night. I was so proud of Calvin.

I love the Kiss song for the Goals!!!! Our section was singing it !!
Our section was cheering and clapping for most of the game. But when it got to be a real blowout and you could see the Swiss team, not getting anything genreated.....we did quiet it down a bit. I loved doing the wave last night too!

My experience was nothing but positive...nothing negative or bad to say about the event.I hope we get to host a pre-season game again!!!!

Way to Go Canada and way to Go Oshawa!!!!

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next