Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Surprising Remarks on this website

+6
Hayes#21
newgensfan85
generalsfan4life
hockeybeats
Kevy
blakejo
10 posters

Go down

Surprising Remarks on this website Empty Surprising Remarks on this website

Post by blakejo Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:20 pm

I have to admit, I am new to Junior Hockey - not to hockey as a whole and have followed it in different coutires having lived overseas, however let me get to the point.

I am surprised by some of the comments made about the Gens players on this website - I mean personal attacks, sure I wasn't happy with the time and effort spent getting to Brampton in arctic conditions, but never was my 'moan' personal - i even tried to blame the ice ;-)

In the last few days we've read that Tony Dehart should be wearing Orange as he looks like a pylon out there and Kyle Hope is 'Hope-less'.

Are these the same folks who boo the team at home games.

Pardon me but I just don't understand it - these are kids - barely older than our own sons and daughters - and as far as I can see they play an entertaining brand of hockey and they all seem to care (perhaps too much).

Seriously folks - save your personal attacks for the millionaires down at the ACC - These Gens kids deserve backing - they're good - really they are - didn't you feel proud on Friday night in the last few minutes? I know I did - and I am knew to this stuff!!

Rant over.
blakejo
blakejo

Number of posts : 68
Seat Section : 117
Registration date : 2010-09-09

Back to top Go down

Surprising Remarks on this website Empty Re: Surprising Remarks on this website

Post by Kevy Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:58 pm

I have to agree with this..

Though I may have stated opinions on players in the past (most notably Clark)...I like and respect every single player who plays in Oshawa.

It's no secret that I have eaten my words about Emerson...as I now feel he has been one of the more consistent Generals all season long.

Kevy
Kevy

Number of posts : 789
Seat Section : 114 Row 7
Registration date : 2008-03-24

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:10 pm

I agree completely and I'm glad somebody said it. I'd also add some of the things mentioned against the goalies and even though they're older and have a thick skin, coaching staff as well. It's one thing to read comments that are fair and critical, personal attacks are over the line. People should distinguish between them when posting. This is true when posting about adults like coaches, officials and league executives and it's even moreso the case when talking about teenagers.

Some of the things mentioned here would be classified as harassment if written about a co-worker in an office environment - why is it more acceptable in a hockey forum?

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by generalsfan4life Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:50 pm

ya i agree also.
generalsfan4life
generalsfan4life

Number of posts : 125
Seat Section : sec 114 row 6 seat 8
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by newgensfan85 Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:08 am

I don't think saying dehart looks like a pylon on the ice is all that bad someone was stating a comment that they think deharts play isn't all that great, people are able to state comments as i dont think a pylon remark is a personal attack, I posted saying i agree to some of the statements made by fans saying dehart isnt the best he has give aways some i believe take it to much to heart.

newgensfan85

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2010-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Hayes#21 Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:58 pm

I agree with this posting. Sometimes our fans get frustrated at the lack of what we perceive as consistancy, by our team. That is natural. What is not natual is blaming individuals for a teams performance. I have posted our goaltending was not strong enough to be competative with the likes of Mississauga ....but that was not a shot on the young men and/or their character or efforts on the ice.

Constructive criticism should always be voiced. We don't all have to agree, but the kids being referred to as pylons is not constructive and meant with insult to the person it was directed to.

This team is young. We are exciting and we are going to lose games we shouldn't. This is all part of the learning...and will make our team stronger. I get frustrated too. And sometimes post in frustration. But let's be respectful to our young men and let them know they are supported. Even when we are frustrated.

Hayes#21

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2008-04-07

Back to top Go down

Post by JokesandPranks Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:35 am

even though they are kids, Junior Hockey is a big business now (tickets, concessions and souvenirs aren't cheap anymore), so if fans want to complain about effort and skill (or their return on investment if you will), it unfortunately comes with the territory now, if not, Junior Hockey should stop treating their league like it's the pro's!

JokesandPranks

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by blakejo Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:06 pm

Hey - each to their own - everyone can have opinions that's why this is a forum.

I personally can never bring myself to boo these kids - never - they might play crap somedays, but it's not through lack of effort or desire.

If it is through lack of skill - the other team might (heaven forbid) be better than the Gens - then booing is not the answer, neither is personal attacks on the individuals.

Boo the Refs - that is how I get rid of my frustrations - they're all bent!
blakejo
blakejo

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:22 pm

You should have a right to boo the coaches, players & refs' as long as no fowl lanuage is used,as a paying customer that gives me the right to boo. What I consider kids that don't deserve to be boo are the leagues that there is no admission to.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by blakejo Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:10 pm

What league is that? When I've been to some very minor Hockey games in around here there is a $5.00 door charge - and that is for 14 & 15 years olds - you going to Boo them and flash the cover charge on your ticket?
blakejo
blakejo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lefty Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:34 pm

I don't like to boo or be overly critical of junior players. Criticism like that should in my opinion be kept for professionals (a pro being someone that does it for a living). Not guys in junior, many of which aren't even adults yet.
Lefty
Lefty

Number of posts : 60
Seat Section : Anywhere in the GMC
Registration date : 2007-09-11

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:49 am

Normally im booing the refs, i boo almost every game, for example when the opposition takes the ice. However i have and will in the future boo are players if i feel they deserve it. Im gonna call it criticism. After all i cant go up to them after the game and talk to them. They are kids and if they play extremely selfish or partied a little to much the night before i will voice my displeasure. They can lose ten nothing and as long as they try hard and play with heart then i will continue to cheer.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down