Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What's up with DeHann?

+7
mygens
Rinkrat
Oshawa fan
hockeybeats
ogf
jaycro
gogensgo
11 posters

Go down

What's up with DeHann? Empty What's up with DeHann?

Post by gogensgo Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:54 am

Just wondering what is up with DeHann's play this year. He seems to have regressed somewhat with his play and decision making and the type and timing of penalties he has taken. I was expecting a real breakout year this year. Still having affects of injury?

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

What's up with DeHann? Empty Re: What's up with DeHann?

Post by jaycro Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:51 am

Lots of us agree with you. He is very hesitant in moving the puck trying to dipsy-doodle in his own end, often getting caught doing so. Certainly not playing as well as in the past!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by ogf Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:10 am

I have always had those thoughts on de Haan. I am not sure he has changed as much as he has not lived up to the expectations that everyone had for him. He is not Del Zotto. de Haan can be a very good player, he needs to play his game a little more simple and not try and do so much. There are times when the simple play is the most effective and least costly. I am sure as the next few games and the playoffs unfold, you will see de Haan and everyone else at their best.

ogf

Number of posts : 576
Registration date : 2007-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:03 pm

I agree completely. Just play the puck off the glass! That was pretty frustrating to watch yesterday and the advice to keep it simple and stick to the fundamentals is the message De Haan should be receiving.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Tue Feb 22, 2011 6:31 pm

While he was not the only one he was the worst offender. Make the pass.

I just finished reading Brian Kilrea's book (a nice read for a junior hockey fan) and he really stresses passing the puck.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinkrat Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:01 pm

Take a look around the ice when you notice that Calvin is hanging on to the puck a little too long, and you might notice 4 other players doing a poor job of getting open. The fact is he does a good job of maintaining possesion, most of the time, in what use to be troublesome situations. He is a big player in the teams improved ability to get the puck out of their end quicker, as most of the time someone is open. The last coach to preach heavily on puck possesion (Stewart) took the team pretty far in the playoffs,,, Right??Time to give credit to a team that has just won 5 in a row.

Rinkrat

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:04 pm

Rinkrat wrote:Take a look around the ice when you notice that Calvin is hanging on to the puck a little too long, and you might notice 4 other players doing a poor job of getting open. The fact is he does a good job of maintaining possesion, most of the time, in what use to be troublesome situations. He is a big player in the teams improved ability to get the puck out of their end quicker, as most of the time someone is open. The last coach to preach heavily on puck possesion (Stewart) took the team pretty far in the playoffs,,, Right??Time to give credit to a team that has just won 5 in a row.

You sound like my brother. That is exactly he said yesterday. I do think Brampton are a difficult team to play against as they check closely still I think there were a number of occasions when the puck could have been moved.

As to giving credit read the game day thread.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:33 pm

Oshawa fan wrote:
Rinkrat wrote:Take a look around the ice when you notice that Calvin is hanging on to the puck a little too long, and you might notice 4 other players doing a poor job of getting open. The fact is he does a good job of maintaining possesion, most of the time, in what use to be troublesome situations. He is a big player in the teams improved ability to get the puck out of their end quicker, as most of the time someone is open. The last coach to preach heavily on puck possesion (Stewart) took the team pretty far in the playoffs,,, Right??Time to give credit to a team that has just won 5 in a row.

You sound like my brother. That is exactly he said yesterday. I do think Brampton are a difficult team to play against as they check closely still I think there were a number of occasions when the puck could have been moved.

As to giving credit read the game day thread.

Fair point as to the forwards not getting open and leaving too big a gap between the forwards and the D but I still think that when you aren't getting help from your teammates and you are under pressure, the safe play is best - you play the puck off the glass. This is particularly true when you are the last man back. A puck possession game is great in the neutral zone or the offensive zone but definitely not when you're standing in front of your own goalie. Full marks to Di Salvo, he was hung out to dry a few times and always came up with the big save - that was a well-earned shutout, he certainly had to earn it.

The Gens are playing very well right now and I give full credit to them but I think the swagger that they are carrying as a result of that success is leading to some careless decisions sometimes. I've been labelled as overly optimistic here far more often than being called pessimistic or overly critical so I'm not one of those to criticize everything I see. Overall, they're playing great. I just think there are times where they need to stick to the simple play - De Haan isn't the only one but he certainly was the most obvious yesterday.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:30 pm

People often project a players future based on one good year , dehaan is not a superstar d man , he will probably play in the NHL but like a lot of young kids , just because they get drafted in the first round , all of a sudden they will immediately make the big league , dehaan , has lots to work on , strength being one of the biggies , to me because of the position he plays , he should return next year as an overage to dominate , as it is now he does not dominate , in fact he's not even our best d man . But unfortunately he was drafted by the islanders , and they are not known for being the Smartest or most patient NHL team . I think he will get a long look in the ahl and they be returned to junior next year , so hopefully the gens will keep that possibility in mind when deciding on the overagers . Me personally I would make andreoff , valentine , and maggio my overagers and trade the rights to dehaan if their is any doubt about what the islanders do

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:17 pm

There is 1 point that most of you miss on Calvin - that is expectations are
higher than the rest of the team - yes he does makesome poor decisions

Also remember he is watched closer and checked more also many times he draws more than 1 player to him, setting up possible break out 2 on 1 or 3 on 2.

Also it is easier to point on ones mistakes and not his good points - You will miss him when he is gone

Also he plays 25 - 35 min per game , so do you think he may make more mistakes

Lighten up

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Rinkrat Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:43 am

And he is the captain of a team that has just won 5 in row!!!!!!!

Rinkrat

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2009-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter_Puck Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:24 pm

Seriously folks, by the way this isn't thew first thread on de Hann. We didnt win 5 games in a row because of Calvin. He is an embarrassment, there are other true leaders on this team. His ice time is secondary, his decision making on power plays is pathetic, opposing teams should know by now that he will not shoot the back when it is passed to him. If Delzotto is in the AHL there is no way de Haan will crack the Islanders. His play making has diminshed. He is no where near the condition he was in the first year in the OHL. IMO he is playing with reservation forget about what gens fans are saying about him, how about the rest of OHL, scouts. Lets not pretend that everything is perfect behind rose coloured glasses. Who would trade for a has been. Anyone see his interview with Rogers enough said he is not caring an academic load, so what is he doing to better himself. The comments made by other posters are long overdue. Defensive coaches need to take notice and make some changes. Notice that the rookie defenseman have not been criticized thats because they are doing what they are suppose to be doing, playing defense.
Peter_Puck
Peter_Puck

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Gensfan_118 Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:01 pm

I agree Peter_Puck. You can't just say, 'the team's doing well, so he must be playing great'. Although I actually thought he played a pretty good game against the Soo.
It's obvious that he's a very talented player, but I think that what has so many people on here so frustrated is the effort level that he's playing with. He usually doesn't even skate back for the puck, letting Suellentrop or Thomas (on the PP) do all the work. Every once in a while he'll have a few consecutive shifts where he'll throw a nice hit or two, skate hard and such, but then go right back to the usual effort level.
As far as the turnovers, I agree with Hockeybeats that he needs to make the smart play and get it out off the glass, but what the heck is with our breakout play? how is the defenceman supposed to make a breakout pass when not a single forward is in their own end? Does the coaching staff really think that's the best way to bring the puck out of the zone is for the defenceman to shoot the puck at our forwards, and hope that they have the hand-eye coordination to get their stick on the puck? I bet that along with our commanding lead in penalty minutes, we must be head and shoulders ahead of the rest of the league in icing calls against.
That being said, I don't doubt that he'll do fine at the next level. Tavares and Del Zotto sorta sandbagged it in their last years here as well, and not many expect them to fail at the next level. Perhaps with more effort and better work habits in juniors though, Del Zotto would still be up with the Rangers, and Tavares would now be playing at the level that Duchene and Stamkos are at right now....

Gensfan_118

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-10-17

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:24 pm

LMAO at most of you....once again.....here we go...we win a few but thats not good...we lose a few even worse...GO WATCH ANOTHER TEAM FOR CHRIST SAKES!!......WE HAVE 14 YA THATS RIGHT 14 ROOKIES/NEW PLAYERS. not bad for a team that didn't make the playoff last year!... They way you speak about these players is disgusting as I believe most on here are old enough to have SOME LEVEL of self control. GET REAL...WHO GIVES ANYONE ON HERE THE RIGHT TO BASH THESE BOYS ....YA AGAIN BOYS 16-21...AWAY FROM HOME, NOT LIVING A NORMAL LIFE LIKE THE REST OF US.

HERE'S AN IDEA....IF YOU CANT STAND TO WATCH THE GENNIES PLEASE DON'T....GO ENJOY A MOVIE OR GO BIRDWATCHING!
BOTH ARE CHEAPER FOR YOU IN THE LONG RUN!

PERSONALLY SOME COMMENTS ON HERE ARE Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter_Puck Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:20 pm

gensrock wrote:LMAO at most of you....once again.....here we go...we win a few but thats not good...we lose a few even worse...GO WATCH ANOTHER TEAM FOR CHRIST SAKES!!......WE HAVE 14 YA THATS RIGHT 14 ROOKIES/NEW PLAYERS. not bad for a team that didn't make the playoff last year!... They way you speak about these players is disgusting as I believe most on here are old enough to have SOME LEVEL of self control. GET REAL...WHO GIVES ANYONE ON HERE THE RIGHT TO BASH THESE BOYS ....YA AGAIN BOYS 16-21...AWAY FROM HOME, NOT LIVING A NORMAL LIFE LIKE THE REST OF US.

HERE'S AN IDEA....IF YOU CANT STAND TO WATCH THE GENNIES PLEASE DON'T....GO ENJOY A MOVIE OR GO BIRDWATCHING!

How niave gensrock. The Oshawa Generals are a business, each player has a contract and is compensated in some fashion. When a player is not playing their best it needs to be addressed, they are either not disciplined enough, having academic challenges or just plain lazy. No one said anything about rookies. de Haan is not a rookie, and has been to two world Juniors, has suffered injuries and is not playing anywhere close prior to his injury. Just because you are drafted doesnt mean your living the dream you still have to work hard to get to the next level. FYI Brett Mclean just this season played his first game in the NHL. Can de Haan improve if he wants to, should he, if he wants a career, does he have what it takes to play right now in the NHL NO! Feel free to create your own thread feeling sorry for people commenting on the obvious. But lets pass the buck and blame the defensive coaches for allowing de Haan to play the way he does after all someone has to be accountable. This is a business, not minor hockey so there is a difference.
Peter_Puck
Peter_Puck

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2010-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:58 pm

Peter_Puck wrote:
gensrock wrote:LMAO at most of you....once again.....here we go...we win a few but thats not good...we lose a few even worse...GO WATCH ANOTHER TEAM FOR CHRIST SAKES!!......WE HAVE 14 YA THATS RIGHT 14 ROOKIES/NEW PLAYERS. not bad for a team that didn't make the playoff last year!... They way you speak about these players is disgusting as I believe most on here are old enough to have SOME LEVEL of self control. GET REAL...WHO GIVES ANYONE ON HERE THE RIGHT TO BASH THESE BOYS ....YA AGAIN BOYS 16-21...AWAY FROM HOME, NOT LIVING A NORMAL LIFE LIKE THE REST OF US.

How niave gensrock. The Oshawa Generals are a business, each player has a contract and is compensated in some fashion. When a player is not playing their best it needs to be addressed, they are either not disciplined enough, having academic challenges or just plain lazy. No one said anything about rookies. de Haan is not a rookie, and has been to two world Juniors, has suffered injuries and is not playing anywhere close prior to his injury. Just because you are drafted doesnt mean your living the dream you still have to work hard to get to the next level. FYI Brett Mclean just this season played his first game in the NHL. Can de Haan improve if he wants to, should he, if he wants a career, does he have what it takes to play right now in the NHL NO! Feel free to create your own thread feeling sorry for people commenting on the obvious. But lets pass the buck and blame the defensive coaches for allowing de Haan to play the way he does after all someone has to be accountable. This is a business, not minor hockey so there is a difference.

Like I just posted....lol...at most....unless you YOURSLEF are in a position to make that assumption than please dont...are you the coach? no have you coached at any level? have you coached at the OHL level? what training do you have to make some comments about players?
yes...i totally agree you & everyone on her is entiled to post & comment on the "business" except if you know as much, you would understand that the OHL is a DEVELOPMENTAL LEAGUE....wow ..who know eh.
so unless you are connected to the team or are in that dressing room you have NO IDEA whats going on.
again if the team or any players do not meet YOUR PERSONAL GOALS may i suggest you go watch another OHL team.
BUT HONESTLY WHY BASH THE PLAYERS? BECAUSE THEY DON'T MEET YOUR PERSONAL GOALS FOR WHAT HE SHOULD BE DOING OR NOT DOING?
MAYBE YOU SHOULD THINK ABOUT APPLYING FOR THE COACHING JOB.....or better yet STAND UP at the meeting on Sunday and ask Roger Hunt himslef why players dont play the way YOU want them too.
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:16 pm

Gensrock, no one is bashing the team. Yes, they are young and yes, they have an abundance of new players and they are an exciting group pf players, full of potential. What almost everyone critiques about the Gens is the number of penalties they take and occasionally an individual player, in this case, De Hann! He is a good player with a promising future but he is not playing up to his capabilities this year. His decision making is very suspect at times (way too many times) and if you don't think so, seek out a scout and ask. I don't need to be an ex-coach or any form of expert to analyse De Hann's play.. any amateur can see what he is doing. You don't need to slam your hand in a car door to know it hurts! That's a fallacioius argument that you have to walk a mile in the other person's shoes to judge others. We all know the differerence between good and bad and DeHann's play has been "bad" for his skill level.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down