Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events?

+9
mygens
5forfighting
LX
Gens Fan 108
ohagan
hockeybeats
Gens Fan 112
Oshawa fan
oshgens2k2
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events? Empty Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events?

Post by oshgens2k2 Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:56 am

Hey everyone

So I was reading last night in our local paper about the city charging $5 parking for the Mary st parking garage moving forward. I know a lot of us park there because its free and don't mind the block to walk but if you do the math thats another $170/ year if you are a season ticket holder. With the price of tickets going up this year again unless you locked in that is a significant price increase. Can the Generals offer season ticket holders a pass for parking?

Remember parking at the civic for free. Those days are gone. The city is trying to nickel and dime so they don't raise our property taxes but we all know that they are continuing to go up every year. I can't imagine the difference in property taxes for someone who has owned their own for 30 years compared to what they first paid and what they pay now.

Oh well I hope Disalvo is ok as we need him Friday to finish Kingston off.

Lets go you Gennies!

oshgens2k2

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2011-01-22

Back to top Go down

Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events? Empty Re: Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events?

Post by Guest Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:23 am

oshgens2k2 wrote:Hey everyone

So I was reading last night in our local paper about the city charging $5 parking for the Mary st parking garage moving forward. I know a lot of us park there because its free and don't mind the block to walk but if you do the math thats another $170/ year if you are a season ticket holder. With the price of tickets going up this year again unless you locked in that is a significant price increase. Can the Generals offer season ticket holders a pass for parking?

Remember parking at the civic for free. Those days are gone. The city is trying to nickel and dime so they don't raise our property taxes but we all know that they are continuing to go up every year. I can't imagine the difference in property taxes for someone who has owned their own for 30 years compared to what they first paid and what they pay now.

Congrats to everyone who supported the new arena being built in downtown Oshawa.

Back to top Go down

Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events? Empty Re: Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events?

Post by Oshawa fan Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:42 pm

If you are concerned about paying for parking then walk a few blocks more.
There are spots to be found.

I was not keen on a downtown arena however I have changed my views. it was really the beginning of significant changes to the downtown. It is a very different place than it was 5 years ago.

Cities are under great pressure to find new sources of revenue and to find ways to cut expenses. The parking fee is only a small part of various new and increased user fees that have been implemented.

As to the tax increase I think the increase for 2011 was 0.3% so not too bad. The Regional increase was somewhat greater but that is not Oshawa's doing.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:30 pm

Exactly how far does this walk become when 200 other people decide to do the same thing?

Great for the city because I see lots of parking tickets in the future. Not so great for the Gens as I see this as a breaking point for some STH's who are already dissatisfied with rising costs etc.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Number of posts : 900
Registration date : 2007-01-16

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:13 pm

Does this affect street parking and the outdoor lots or will those spots still be free on evenings and weekends?

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:19 pm

Gens Fan 112 wrote:Exactly how far does this walk become when 200 other people decide to do the same thing?

Division and William St area. Probably 6-10 minute walk. There are closer spots for the early birds.

They added a lot of on-street parking for the courthouse. As I understand on-street parking is free after 6.

Having the arena downtown has really helped the local restaurants and bars. This is not just for games but for all the other events as well (or so I am told).

If $5 bucks for parking (or $170 a season) is going to cause fans to not renew their tickets because they can't walk for 5- 10 minutes that is really too bad but not worthy of any realistic complaint (in my humble opinion anyway).

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:29 pm

How many will want this extra 5-10 walk when its -20 and snowing?

As i stated, this $5 is not the "cause" but may well be the breaking point.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by ohagan Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:23 pm

I read that story in the paper and just wanted to add that the $5 fee will also be applied to the parking lot on Athol between Albert and Celina. I for one am an early bird and the Athol lot was my 1st place to look for a parking spot and usually got one there too. But I will not pay for that parking, i will be one that walks.

ohagan

Number of posts : 360
Seat Section : 119 standing room
Registration date : 2010-09-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 108 Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:58 pm

Gens Fan 112 wrote:How many will want this extra 5-10 walk when its -20 and snowing?

Oh please! Rolling Eyes I have walked to every game for the last 5 years in -20, snow & rain as I live a 5 min walk away. We are Canadian people... bundle up! If you are a die hard fan .... you'll make it to the games regardless.

Gens Fan 108

Number of posts : 81
Seat Section : 108
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:34 pm

Gens Fan 108 wrote:
Gens Fan 112 wrote:How many will want this extra 5-10 walk when its -20 and snowing?

Oh please! Rolling Eyes I have walked to every game for the last 5 years in -20, snow & rain as I live a 5 min walk away. We are Canadian people... bundle up! If you are a die hard fan .... you'll make it to the games regardless.

Up hill, both ways? Ok, Dad!

All this is easy to say when it doesn't have an impact on you. Im adding everything up which includes my 35 minute drive to the game. At about $15 a trip my game day experience is a little more expensive than yours. There comes a point with most working-class people when cost plays more of a role than your devotion to the team. What if I told you that my son plays hockey many Sundays until 5 pm and that walking 5 blocks would cost me half the first period? How about the nights that I bring my aging father or my nephew who has mobility issues? Not everybody is in the same position as you and your smug "hearty-than-thou" attitude is being wasted on me. "Suck it up" advice doesn't work for everybody. Go sell it somewhere else.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 108 Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:37 pm

Try "Mom" instead. And yes .. up hill one way. Smile

My point was that walking a couple extra blocks in the Canadian weather that we get because you don't want to pay the extra $$ shouldn't be a reason to complain, your doing it by choice. Just like I walk to every game .. by choice.

Gens Fan 108

Number of posts : 81
Seat Section : 108
Registration date : 2009-03-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:50 pm

Gens Fan 108 wrote:Try "Mom" instead. And yes .. up hill one way. Smile

My point was that walking a couple extra blocks in the Canadian weather that we get because you don't want to pay the extra $$ shouldn't be a reason to complain, your doing it by choice. Just like I walk to every game .. by choice.

"Mom;"

2 options, when they both suck, don't make a choice, they make a dilemma.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:59 pm

My mother says there are people who see a problem and find a solution and those who see a problem and complain about it.

Drop your Dad at the door by coming off Bruce Street and then go park. If you are young enough to have a son playing hockey it shouldn't take you half the first period to walk 5 blocks. Actually I look now and see you are 37 (or were when you signed up) so the walk should not be a problem unless you have serious health issues.

Or perhaps when you bring your Dad you will have to pay $5 and park at Cooper's service station so you can be close.

I guess everyone has to decide for themselves what their spending and time priorities are.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Fan 112 Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey, Forrest, thank "momma" for her insight..............

I think we have lost sight of the main point I was trying to make. Some people are not going to be happy about this. Some people have hinted at not renewing and this could be the tipping point. It's just another expense or inconvenience that we (collectively) can do without.
Gens Fan 112
Gens Fan 112

Back to top Go down

Post by LX Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:06 pm

the real problem in my mind is that we were told that the arena was going downtown, and the trade off was free parking.. now thats gone? thats just complete bull

LX

Number of posts : 190
Seat Section : 114
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 5forfighting Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:27 pm

I have to admit paying an extra $170 a year for parking on top of the $1500ish we pay for 3 seats isn't great. Lets face even if there are those free spots people are still going to end up in paid parking - its like musical chairs--there's not enough spots for everyone! Hopefully the generals can work a deal out with the city that Season Tickets Holders pay a little less or can by a pass at a cheaper rate.

I guess who all know which Mayor and Councillers we shouldn't vote in next term.............

5forfighting

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:00 pm

Paid parking is the only issue on which you base your vote? Is there nothing else of importance at stake in a municipal election? Laughing

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:38 pm

I was going to refrain from posting again in this thread but I cannot resist.

The current mayor and many members of council were elected on platforms of responsible fiscal management. No more tax increases was a very common theme.

They made a choice to add some user fees (which is really all this is) instead of increasing taxes. If you asked most taxpayers in the city would they rather have a tax increase or parking fees for events at the GMC I expect the answer would say a parking fee.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:41 pm

ok , i have to say something here , i cant beleive so many of you are just bending over so readily about this 5 buck parking charge , like its ok , its gouging no matter how you slice it , and these are my points

1....oshawa is already one of the highest taxed cities around , you shoudnt be feeling sorry for council , but ask yourself what the hell are they doing with the money , that they are now on top of it asking for more user fees ??..

2.... dont they charge for parking all day long , do they need to screw the tax payer again by charging a premium at night as well? gouging

3..... is the city not making money on the premium already added to ticket prices ??...gouging

4.....anyone ever bought a beer at the games , not much of a drinker , but i ordered a beer the other night 11 bucks , i had to shake my head , thought imwas at the ACC there for a minute ....gouging !

5.... ever make any purchases at the concessions ? gouging ?

6..... ever try to get a drink of water at a water fountain , compliments of the city of oshawa , forget it , there arent any water fountains ? think that was an error of ommision when designing the building ,? think again , thats 3 to 4 dollars for a bottle water , thank you .....GOunging baby !

now they want 5 dollars to park , then you walk accross two sets of lights in the dead of winter to get to the building , thanks , i' M so lucky !!

and some of you here are ok with this justifying the actions of the irresponsible city council , well give your heads a shake , this is simply gouging and taking advantage , we are already paying , and paying , and paying .

what do these councillors think oshawa is , Downtown toronto , ...these are the burbs baby , and this is downtown oshawa , the old broken down genosha hotel and all .......PLEASE.......

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:50 pm

oh and one last thing , think its slow getting in or out of that parking garage now , wait till they slow ya down to pay , it will take forever , better get there early gens fans , your going to be enjoying the parking garage awhile , really getting your moneys worth i guess .......no thanks , not me

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:50 pm

Event fee will be charged on the way in like other lots.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Post by dewitl Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:53 pm

Does the event fee happen every night or just when the arena has an event? Not all the cars parked there are for the General Motors Centre events. For example, are those who choose to park at the garage and pop over to Riley's pub going to have to pay for that parking now whenever there happens to be an event at the General Motors Centre? Just wondering.

dewitl

Number of posts : 50
Seat Section : 116
Registration date : 2009-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:31 pm

mygens wrote:ok , i have to say something here , i cant beleive so many of you are just bending over so readily about this 5 buck parking charge , like its ok , its gouging no matter how you slice it , and these are my points

1....oshawa is already one of the highest taxed cities around , you shoudnt be feeling sorry for council , but ask yourself what the hell are they doing with the money , that they are now on top of it asking for more user fees ??..

2.... dont they charge for parking all day long , do they need to screw the tax payer again by charging a premium at night as well? gouging

3..... is the city not making money on the premium already added to ticket prices ??...gouging

4.....anyone ever bought a beer at the games , not much of a drinker , but i ordered a beer the other night 11 bucks , i had to shake my head , thought imwas at the ACC there for a minute ....gouging !

5.... ever make any purchases at the concessions ? gouging ?

6..... ever try to get a drink of water at a water fountain , compliments of the city of oshawa , forget it , there arent any water fountains ? think that was an error of ommision when designing the building ,? think again , thats 3 to 4 dollars for a bottle water , thank you .....GOunging baby !

now they want 5 dollars to park , then you walk accross two sets of lights in the dead of winter to get to the building , thanks , i' M so lucky !!

and some of you here are ok with this justifying the actions of the irresponsible city council , well give your heads a shake , this is simply gouging and taking advantage , we are already paying , and paying , and paying .

what do these councillors think oshawa is , Downtown toronto , ...these are the burbs baby , and this is downtown oshawa , the old broken down genosha hotel and all .......PLEASE.......

Does the city collect revenues on concessions or is it Global Spectrum? Who decides the prices at the concessions? I don't actually know the answer to these questions. Maybe somebody here does.

As for downtown Toronto vs downtown Oshawa, downtown Toronto is $15 to $20 for parking by the Air Canada Centre. Perhaps you were exaggerating but a $5 charge certainly doesn't make it even close to the parking situation over there.

For your comments on Oshawa city council, this isn't the same council that built taxes to the current highest in the GTA levels. If they manage to have a property tax freeze or increase that is well below inflation in exchange for some user fees, I'm sure many in Oshawa would support that. If it's user fees in addition to a 3-4% increase, then you have a city council with some explaining to do.

When comparing a downtown versus undeveloped area with plenty of parking, I'd choose the current location without a doubt. I love being able to grab something to eat before or after the game and the Civic offered nothing. The current arena is far easier to access by public transit - keep in mind that not all Generals fans drive. There are students that take the bus down Simcoe to go to the game as well as other people who simply choose not to drive or can't afford to drive. Whatever money the city collects helps fund public transit. I actually took transit my first two seasons working for the Gens - that trip to the Civic was not pleasant. If the arena was built north of Taunton or some other undeveloped area, it would be completely inaccessible for some. While I drive now, I would still choose downtown without a doubt. Lastly, while downtown Oshawa still isn't an area to which people look upon with civic pride, it is a significant improvement from 2006. The improvements are quite significant. I'm very curious to see what it will be like ten years down the road. Those improvements would be far slower without the arena in its present location. I know somebody who has no interest in hockey but is a homeowner just east of the arena (south of King, west of Ritson) and she could not be happier with the impact the arena has had on the neighbourhood, particularly on nights where an event is happening.

This arena is not just about what's best for Gens fans who choose to drive to games. It's about what is best for all residents of Oshawa and their quality of life. A downtown location benefits more people than something out by the Legends Centre or anything out on the fringes of town.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:04 am

It's an interesting political discussion you are all having but as I don't live in Oshawa, all I care about is my entertainment value and not property taxes. And while you may not care, as a Season Ticket Holder, the Gens organization should. If this goes through, I will end up giving up my remaining season tickets, purely on the basis of cost. The value currently in season tickets is low if you take an objective look at it - unless you place a huge value on having the exact same seat for every game. You only have to miss a couple games due to illness or work or some other reason to break even on any price break you get on season tickets and the other throw-ins aren't that great. The playoff price freeze is only worth a game IF they make it through all the rounds. With the parking added in, it is more price advantageous to drop the Seasons, go to a few less games, and save some dollars. I can make it work to my advantage but the Gens lose out which is why they should care. They can either do something directly about parking or increase the other value they offer for STH's or they could just do nothing and see if this impacts them beyond my decision.

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:56 am

gogensgo, you are so completely wrong about the lack of value in season tickets.

2011-2012 Season Tickets Bowl $521.22

Individual game price $18.25 + service fees which actually brings this total to $25/game.

$25 X 34 = $850 - Season tickets are $330 cheaper than paying for individual tickets. That's a far cry from "You only have to miss a couple games due to illness or work or some other reason to break even on any price break you get on season tickets".

$521/34=$15.32/game

You save $10 per ticket each and every game through buying season tickets. At $25/game, you can only attend 22 games with $551 which is the season ticket price. That means the break-even point for season ticket holders is TWELVE games. You can miss a full TWELVE games out of 34, more than one-third of the entire season and it's still worth buying season tickets.

If you feel it's not worth it, that's your choice but the math says otherwise. Even adding on $5/game, you can still miss six and the season tickets are worth it. As mentioned by others here though, there are still places to park which are free and not too far away. If you still want to insist on driving, carpool to the game. That $5 charge divided by two people or more starts to shrink dramatically. Even if you don't live near somebody, you can both park somewhere free and then drive downtown in one car. There are tons of ways to avoid paying for parking.

Even without carpooling, $5/car is not the same as $5/ticket. I'm going to make a safe assumption that a family of four is not driving down in four separate cars. That's only $1.25 per person for parking.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next