Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events?

+9
mygens
5forfighting
LX
Gens Fan 108
ohagan
hockeybeats
Gens Fan 112
Oshawa fan
oshgens2k2
13 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events? - Page 2 Empty Re: Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events?

Post by archer_gens Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:29 am

I think the biggest issue is that the economy sucks, ya its rebounding but its early. Tickets have jumped and its alot all of a sudden. I think we have the right to complain that said its not that much now but in the near future when its 10 or more thats the real issue. I know im debating if next year isnt my last year as a sth. I locked in and when my tickets suddenly jump by a few hundred i now have even more expenses to consider if i can afford them. The problem is its no one persons fault, city for parking, gas prices for transportation, also leading to ticket increases, feds and hst, global spectrum. Everyone wants a piece of the pie
i just hope theres something left in the end.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events? - Page 2 Empty Re: Did anyone see new parking charge for GMC events?

Post by TipcoSr Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:52 am

hockeybeats ... those numbers aren't really fair. First off, you are comparing an Early Bird price on the season tickets vs. an order online price for single games. Second, if you go down to the arena to purchase tickets, all of those service charges don't apply.

Another option for this person might be to purchase Flex packs. According to the Gens site, you can purchase Flex packs of 6, 12 and 18 tickets at 17.25, 16.75 and 16.25 each. You don't have the benefits of the Season tickets, but it becomes cheaper than walk up for each game.

TipcoSr

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:59 pm

True, I was using the early bird price but I am operating under the assumption that if we're talking about renewals, I would think most people would take advantage of the early bird offer. Of course there are other in-between options like flex packs. I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with the other options - for some people, flex packs are the best option. For some, individual tickets are best because they will only attend a few games or have schedules that are too unpredictable. However, it is completely wrong to say that you "break even" by missing two games.

As for buying at the rink, even eliminating ALL service charges and fees, you stilll save $100 using the $18.25 price which is five games, not two.

Season tickets are the best value for anyone who knows they will attend most of the games and can afford to attend most of the games. Everyone is free to make their choice - I split my TFC season tickets now because the price has risen enough that I can't afford the full package. We all have to make choices. If someone wants to say that the HST + parking makes season tickets too expensive for them, nothing wrong with that, do what you have to do. I was just calling out what looked like fuzzy math.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:18 pm

hockeybeats - I agree with you. If you can attend all the games, Season Tickets is for sure the way to go.

TipcoSr

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:39 pm

Hockeybeats, I find your rebuttal to my post and the general point I was trying to make 'interesting' and while I can speculate as to your motives, only you will know why you chose to invest the time and effort and respond as you did. When I post, I am doing so from my personal experiences and opinions. If you want exact numbers, in my case, my breakeven point on season tickets is the equivalent of 2.3 tickets - where I come from, that is the equivalent of 'a couple'. For some reason, in your example to support your point, you have taken the Opposite Extremes - Lowest STH price yet Highest possible single game price + Highest service charges (no local person would be moronic enough to pay service charges when you can always walk up to the box office even on game days and get a ticket since moving) and then take an incremental charge of parking and Reduce it to the lowest amount you can (putting 4 people in a car). If a STH takes the lowest possible price thru Early Bird Deals it is Reasonable to assume their behaviour would be the same when looking for equivalent single game seats - so let's play your game and take the lowest STH price and then compare against the multitude of ticket offerings generally available (flex, Coke, Family Fun, etc.). That would work out to 2.04 breakeven tickets in a number of cases, and when you factor in equivalent out-of-pocket total money, it can turn to actually SAVING money by a single game strategy rather than a STH strategy. And that doesn't even factor in the additional cost a STH would be incurring for parking every game as that to me is a 'choice' based on personal preferences.

I would appreciate it if before you call me out on a public forum as 'completely wrong' twice, and 'fuzzy math', that you at least due full due diligence and/or show me the courtesy of asking clarifying questions first.

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:30 am

Please explain how you worked it out to 2.3. If you read my second post, I did the calculation using no service charges.

Even with no service charges, an individual game ticket is $18.25. 18.25 X 34= $620.50. The equivalent season ticket at the early bird price is $521.22. This is $100 in savings. That's five games, not two. Where does your 2.3 stat come from or 2.04?

I didn't use flex packs because you said it would be cheaper to buy individual tickets and season tickets isn't worth it. That's why I was using individual tickets. Nothing against flex packs, they're a great option that gives you a deal that is somewhere in between season tickets and individual tickets.

As for four people in a car, the assumption had been made here that this adds $5 to the cost of a ticket. I was pointing out that this isn't the case because a family of four would be paying $1.25 per ticket. I didn't assume four people in a car - I suggested it would be smart to travel with four people in a car. Did you read my carpooling suggestion? If you're driving individually, meet four friends somewhere with free parking and take one car down. Growing up downtown, we did that all the time. Why have four people pay $20 each to park when it could be split four ways? There's no secret motive here other than helping people save a few bucks. Carpool with two, save 50%, carpool with four save 75% on parking.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:05 pm

$18.25 + service fees = $25 game?

The price of an OHL ticket is really getting expensive the Gens had better be careful they don't overprice their product and drive fans away.

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:30 pm

hockeybeats wrote:Please explain how you worked it out to 2.3. If you read my second post, I did the calculation using no service charges.

Even with no service charges, an individual game ticket is $18.25. 18.25 X 34= $620.50. The equivalent season ticket at the early bird price is $521.22. This is $100 in savings. That's five games, not two. Where does your 2.3 stat come from or 2.04?

I didn't use flex packs because you said it would be cheaper to buy individual tickets and season tickets isn't worth it. That's why I was using individual tickets. Nothing against flex packs, they're a great option that gives you a deal that is somewhere in between season tickets and individual tickets.

As for four people in a car, the assumption had been made here that this adds $5 to the cost of a ticket. I was pointing out that this isn't the case because a family of four would be paying $1.25 per ticket. I didn't assume four people in a car - I suggested it would be smart to travel with four people in a car. Did you read my carpooling suggestion? If you're driving individually, meet four friends somewhere with free parking and take one car down. Growing up downtown, we did that all the time. Why have four people pay $20 each to park when it could be split four ways? There's no secret motive here other than helping people save a few bucks. Carpool with two, save 50%, carpool with four save 75% on parking.

I can't believe we are talking about this to the boredom of other posters considering I was trying to make a general overall statement originally but here you go. "In my case" (read my post), my STH price is $580 or $17.06/ticket (I have found the opportunity cost of that money works to my favour of skipping the early bird rate as it would for most people if they actually thought about it). That puts my delta at $40.46 over the cost of a normal walkup ticket price or just over 2 games difference. I miss more than 2 games a year on average due to illness, vacation, work. Add in the parking incremental costs and it is now definitely not as cost effective as in the past (it doesn't matter how many people you put in a car, if you go to more games as a STH than a walk-up buyer, it will always ADD to your overall cost and increase your per game average price). Even if you take your early bird rate of $15.33/game, you can always get a walk-up deal of a single game ticket (not flex) that will reduce your overall cost (ticket/food) below $15 even using reasonable assumptions (eg $17/ticket less cost of a hot dog and pop as a reasonable minimum). Bottom line, on a strictly financial basis, the STH prices aren't worth it anymore. If you value some of the non-financial aspects that are included, then it may still make sense but that is for everyone to judge based on their own individual circumstances and what they value.

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2