Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

florida panthers fire coach

+9
Gens_Fan_22
GeneralTwit
TipcoSr
Oshawa fan
hockeybeats
steamed
Gens Camper
jaycro
archer_gens
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

florida panthers fire coach Empty florida panthers fire coach

Post by archer_gens Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:16 pm

What eles is there to say one of the gens owners got the boot today.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Number of posts : 3050
Seat Section : 118 row 1
Registration date : 2008-01-05

Back to top Go down

florida panthers fire coach Empty Re: florida panthers fire coach

Post by jaycro Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:53 pm

Good, bring him here to coach/manage the team to a Memorial Cup next year!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Why ? I think the coach/GM team we have now are doing a GREAT job -but their contract ends in a few months

If he has time left on his contract - not sure why he would give that up to come here.

Maybe the LEAFS or other teams may show interest in his services - the OHL would be a last resort

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:06 pm

I agree I like dips but I think there is room to add either Dips coach/Deboer GM or Deboer Coach/Dips GM I can live with either it only helps the Gen's having them both.
steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:49 pm

There's no such thing as simply "adding" by diminishing someone's current role without implying that the performance isn't good enough. It's like when Pat Quinn was reduced to only one role - it was pretty clear what was happening despite what was officially said on the record - Quinn was being pushed out the door.

Two years ago, I was arguing in favour of De Piero's track record because I saw him take the expansion St. Mike's Buzzers, start off losing their first nine games and a couple of other long losing streaks that season and turn them into a contender that was constantly winning the OPJAHL and performing at provincial and national tournaments. What I saw with the Gens was the exact same growing pains but I saw the same plan being developed. Now we are seeing the reward of being patient and waiting for the results to materialize - why would anyone want to mess with such a good thing?

A change like that would completely sabotage the team's development by sending a mixed message about loyalty to the current plan and it's coaching/management. DeBoer already has a role with the team which is a less visible behind-the-scenes one like Adam Graves. Obviously, it's working. There's no reason to change that.

For consequences of constant unnecessary change and inability to be patient and stick with one plan or philosophy, look at Toronto FC. Best attendance in the league, at or near the highest ticket prices but they've missed the playoffs every season and have been surpassed by newer expansion teams who have made the playoffs. Now they're "rebuilding" when they've never built a competitive team to start with.

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 pm

Management changes at this point would be a mistake. The De Piero/Cirella tandem seem to be working very well together. Leave them in place.

I would think P. Deboer has far greater ambitions than being back in the OHL. Some organization will hire him and put him in the AHL as a coach in waiting.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:01 pm

There is nothing terribly wrong with DePiero...now ...but compare his track record with DeBoer's. Granted, DePiero is working this team up from the cesspool of a couple of years ago, but see and remember what he has done prior to January this year. What did people think after the play-offs last year? I still see chronic system faults, lack of skill progression, lots of uncalled-for penalties, a terrible powerplay and so-so penalty killing. Take DiSalvo off this team and they might not be where they are today. There is always good, better and best. You can always improve on the status quo." If the organization is not restless and experimental, it is quietly going to seed!" Probably a meaningless debate anyway as DeBoer will probably be back in the NHL in Ottawa or elsewere. Just food for thought and discussion.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:27 pm

How can you fairly compare his track record? This is his first time in the OHL playoffs. Prior to that, his track record in the OPJAHL is outstanding. Follow the trajectory and you will see that he is doing to the Generals exactly what he did with the Buzzers.

After the playoffs last year, I thought they were well on their way. Anyone who thought otherwise is either impatient or unrealistic.

As for Di Salvo, yes, the Gens would be nowhere without him. Who's responsible for that trade?

Lack of skill progression? Have you watched the development of Thomas, Jenner, Jensen, Andreoff, etc.? And they are still a year away from being at their best!

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:18 pm

It is always the case - Give someone talent and see if he improves.

Well we have - if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Let me see - De Boer got fired does this mean he can't coach in the NHL

or did the GM / owner not give him the talent to do his job.

Any great goalie on a team makes all teams better - what IF Kingston had

DiSalvo and we didn't who would have won the series

There was 2 great teams last night with 2 great goalies and 2 great

coaches someone wins- someone doesn't

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 am

I do like Dips as a Coach/GM I think he is doing a great job, but I don't like OHL teams that have one person doing both jobs as there is talent out there and the GM should be out there looking for raw talent,which on most days can't get to them all as he is coaching or running a practice and I know you will say thats what we have scouts for and should trust them but at my work I would not trust anybodys dission but mine as it's my job on the line, I could go on and on about the topic,but this is my opinion on dual roles in OHL.
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:51 am

Not trying to dump on Depiero. He is doing a good job. BUT, if DeBoer was available and interested in one or both jobs, would you hire him"

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:58 am

You wouldn't have to hire him if he wanted the job he would just take it as he is part owner of the Gen's Laughing
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:33 pm

Deboer should be used as a scout\advisor and nothing more. If u fire dips u get deboer for a season at most before he heads to nhl. If he wants to help ouf he should go out and prepare for the draft for us.
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:29 am

He has 1 yr left on his contract - so why would he work if he doesn't want to

Let's focus on the game

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by archer_gens Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:31 am

Exactly he can advise the gens as an owner and collect his cheque
archer_gens
archer_gens

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:39 pm

I know where we ended up in the final standings. I know we made the playoffs. I know we made it to Round 2. I know we are playing a stronger team with more experience, greater depth and a great goalie. I know we ran into tonnes of penalties, some highly questionable and the Icedog players seemed to have a "pass". But to see one of our better players lose it and run around out of control tonight and not ride the pine for some time? Do you really think DePiero can lead us to the promised land? Hmmm!

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:43 pm

You can't evaluate someone on 1 game - or few of the players would be back not just the coach

WE lost to a much better team - It happens

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:36 pm

Whatever happens in the dressing room stays in the dressing room. We don't know what his disciplinary system is for bonehead penalties. Maybe he's running laps? Maybe he's missing out on some sort of team priveleges? It's presumptuous to say that there were no consequences.

I'm not saying that I have inside info or anything - but these things are typically settled behind closed doors.

hockeybeats

Back to top Go down

Post by TipcoSr Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:38 am

jaycro wrote: I know where we ended up in the final standings. I know we made the playoffs. I know we made it to Round 2. I know we are playing a stronger team with more experience, greater depth and a great goalie. I know we ran into tonnes of penalties, some highly questionable and the Icedog players seemed to have a "pass". But to see one of our better players lose it and run around out of control tonight and not ride the pine for some time? Do you really think DePiero can lead us to the promised land? Hmmm!

Don't agree...the Gens deserved the penalties handed to them. You would think they would get it after the entire regular season....their frustration lead to selfishness and it cost them valuable time in their own end.

TipcoSr

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2011-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:48 am

As I stated earlier, this entire thread is basically hypothetical as there are already three or four opening at the NHL level and with the domino effect, there will be some at the AHL level. I think Dips is safe.

jaycro

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Fri Apr 15, 2011 12:30 am

The penalties we got were deserved as we were out hit and beat to the puck plus they out skated us.

Every now and then you must give credit to the other team - they played smart , fast aggresive hockey and we couldn't answer as we were frustrated

Gens Camper

Back to top Go down

Post by GeneralTwit Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:06 am

Not sure if this is official, but word I got today is that if DeBoer was to want a job as Coach of the Generals or any other CHL club, he would have to sell his portion of the team first. DeBoer is not likely to be seen behind the bench in Oshawa anytime soon.

GeneralTwit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens_Fan_22 Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:32 am

I can see that being true for coaching any other club other than the Generals as that would be a conflict of interest.

Gens_Fan_22

Number of posts : 335
Registration date : 2009-12-07

Back to top Go down

Post by tapetotape Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Don't the Hunter brothers have ownership in London ? Don't they or one of them coach the team?

tapetotape

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-09-01

Back to top Go down

Post by GeneralTwit Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:19 pm

That was my thinking too, tapetotape, which is why I'm awaiting a return email. Didn't sound right when I heard it either, but who knows..

GeneralTwit

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next