Generals Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oshawa Generals 2011/2012

+10
hockeybeats
the croc
BOBBY ORR NUMBER4
steamed
mygens
gogensgo
Gens Camper
gensman
Oshawa fan
jaycro
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Oshawa Generals 2011/2012 Empty Oshawa Generals 2011/2012

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:05 pm

How are the Gens looking for next season?

Other than the OA's which players may not be back as well thoughts on the coaching staff?

What teams do you think will be strong in the East & West in 2011/2012?

Back to top Go down

Oshawa Generals 2011/2012 Empty Re: Oshawa Generals 2011/2012

Post by jaycro Sat Apr 16, 2011 1:35 pm

The Gens should be a serious contender next year especially if they can get two of their older defenceman (Maggio, Valentine or DeHaan) to return. They need a playmaking centre, a real set-up guy and a high level goalie. It would help if Biggs were to report but from the sounds of it, I doubt it. Still think we need a top level coach to take us over the hump as evidenced by the ridiculous number and kind of penaties that were taken throughout the year, as evidenced by the last two playoff games. I see this as a lack of discipline being expected from the coaching staff.

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:21 pm

I think it is likely that Maggio will return and possibly Valentine. DeHaan has signed with the Islanders (I think) so he will be in the AHL. It would be unusual for a fisrt round pick to play an OA year.

Goaltending is an issue that will have to be solved. I am not sure who will be available.

I am content with the coaching staff. The lack of discipline was in part frustration over Niagara's play which stopped the Gens at every opportunity.

I think where Biggs goes will be based on where he is drafted. NHL teams have a power of persuasion.

I would be expecting everybody else back unless there are some traded for a goaltender.

Oshawa fan

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2007-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:19 pm

I'd say a coaching change is almost a certainty. No more risks will be taken in the important upcoming year.

gensman

Number of posts : 835
Registration date : 2007-04-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 16, 2011 3:30 pm

Oshawa fan wrote:
I think where Biggs goes will be based on where he is drafted. NHL teams have a power of persuasion.

I would agree here as far as Tyler Biggs is concerned.

Refresh; how many draft picks do the Gens have going into this years draft?

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:14 pm

gensman wrote:I'd say a coaching change is almost a certainty. No more risks will be taken in the important upcoming year.

Not sure why you would say that. The Gens battled for position with Ottawa and won a playoff round. They lost to a better team.

The Gens met their expectations this season. A coaching change would be a surprise in my view especially if there was no change after last season's results.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:19 pm

1. Out coached
2. Out disciplined
3. Out hustled

And all by a mediocre coach in this loop. Not a good sign at all!

Coaches make teams 'better' - or perhaps they don't. The playoffs are the ultimate acid test for a coaches strategy, respect, and skill.

This franchises goes no where with the Dipper in charge.

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sat Apr 16, 2011 5:44 pm

gensman wrote:1. Out coached
2. Out disciplined
3. Out hustled

And all by a mediocre coach in this loop. Not a good sign at all!

Coaches make teams 'better' - or perhaps they don't. The playoffs are the ultimate acid test for a coaches strategy, respect, and skill.

This franchises goes no where with the Dipper in charge.

As the 2009-2010 season was finishing there were some very disappointing performances. Many called for a coaching change yet none was made. I don't see these owners making a change now.

You may believe that a coaching change is "certainly needed" but to say a coaching change is a "certainty" is not correct in my view.

While I agree that discipline was a problem as was hustle those problems became most apparent when the wheels started to fall off. This was due to being outplayed by a better team. Niagara was overall better at every position. Their older players showed both their skill and experience something the Gens lacked. I think the Gens were the younger team when you look at who actually played. They certainly were the team with the lesser playoff experience.

I do not agree with some of Dipiero's moves but the team played with more heart this season than they did last. They were never quite good enough in their own end but got complacent because of their ability to score. When they met a team with excellent goaltending and offensive zone play they were in trouble.

Had the Gens not made the playoffs then a coaching change would be a certainty and probably even if they had lost to Kingston.

I don't think these owners want to pay someone not to coach and I believe there is at least a year to go on the current contract.

Last edited by Oshawa fan on Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by jaycro Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:23 pm

This is the second year the wheels have fallen off, just a little farther down the road this year. As I said a week in ago in another thread, Dips is good but one of Murphy's Laws is you rise to alevel where your level of success begins to decline. I believe Dips has reached his. A nice run and a nice job, Dips but you have reached yopur plateau. Time for the "pro" to take over!

jaycro

Number of posts : 1207
Registration date : 2007-06-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Gens Camper Sat Apr 16, 2011 6:37 pm

A coach can go as far as the talent and goal tending will take you.

If you compare to last year we rose over 30 pts - Niagara traded at the deadline we didn't , no other coach would have got more .For me coaching is OK

Gens Camper

Number of posts : 1838
Registration date : 2007-05-30

Back to top Go down

Post by gogensgo Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:41 pm

We are what we are, a very good Pond Hockey team. And we will be next year as well assuming no major changes. Just enjoy it for what it is and adjust your expectations accordingly.

gogensgo

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:39 pm

Not wanting to pay someone not to coach is 'penny wise but pound foolish.' And as far as being a 'nice guy' - I'd rather have a skilled SOB coach who knew how to win and succeeded.

It would be very disappointing to be let down by a sub par coach at this point of the junior hockey 'cycle' that the Gen's are at. It is not a great time to take a chance that your coach will 'develop' along with the players.

It's all about a Mem Cup run. You need ALL the elements in place. You don't get many chances either!

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:17 am

i agree with the coaching change , what was dips thinking when he started messing up the line two of the final few games of the season , in games we should have one , it basically cost us firs place behind ottawa
they i couldnt belive my eyes when he did the same thing with all the lines totally had the players all mixed up our last home game when were down 2 to 1 in the series , after having battled back to make game 3, a good contest . I mean who does that , the end of the season or a playoff game is NOT the time to tinker with all the lines at the same time , its just stupid , and i could see the frustration on the players , no wonder they didnt put up much of a fight the last game in niagara

HE HAS GOT TO BE REPLACED , he has done a good job as gm , but not coaching

mygens

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2008-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:20 am

the first thing the gens have to do after replacing the coach is figure out where theyre going to get a top goalie for next year , the bailie experiment is over gang , thats a no brainer , and its critical if this team is going to reach its real potential next season

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by mygens Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:21 am

have a good summer everyone !

mygens

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:22 am

mygens wrote:i agree with the coaching change , what was dips thinking when he started messing up the line two of the final few games of the season , in games we should have one , it basically cost us firs place behind ottawa
they i couldnt belive my eyes when he did the same thing with all the lines totally had the players all mixed up our last home game when were down 2 to 1 in the series , after having battled back to make game 3, a good contest . I mean who does that , the end of the season or a playoff game is NOT the time to tinker with all the lines at the same time , its just stupid , and i could see the frustration on the players , no wonder they didnt put up much of a fight the last game in niagara

HE HAS GOT TO BE REPLACED , he has done a good job as gm , but not coaching

I agree 100% in your statement,I was also scratching my head, what is Dips doing mixing the lines up,he had Graves and Saborin on the 1st & 2nd lines when @ best they are 3rd line players Shocked

steamed
steamed

Number of posts : 1978
Seat Section : were ever I want to
Registration date : 2007-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:23 pm

Was he was the head coach , in the 11-0 drubbing in Belleville in 08 as Oshawa faced elimination .
He did it again this year in Niagra
He cannot motivate the team in the biggest games of the season !

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4

Number of posts : 230
Seat Section : 105
Registration date : 2009-11-16

Back to top Go down

Post by the croc Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Many people here have not seen a lot of years of General's hockey. I have,since 1962. Nobody knows what will happen with coaching, players including goaltenders, but the last SOB coach of the Gens Bill Stewart is still out there. He may have been crazy but he took them to the Memorial Cup and had a good team in Barrie. There were lots of incidents with him but the one I remember is a particularly inept Generals loss in Kingston. The boys were driven back to the Civic and learned to skate hard. Paul Theriault was another tough coach. Would the players respond to a coach like these two? Agree that Mr. Biggs will do what his NHL team tells him to do and if he wants to play in Owen Sound the a GOOD GM will make them pay for him. Cheers and see you all in September.

the croc

Number of posts : 169
Registration date : 2007-10-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Oshawa fan Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:13 pm

Croc

My history with the Gens is almost as long as yours (1964 if you are wondering). I agree with you about both coaches. Both were tough but were also real students of the game.

Stewart may have left a lot of shattered players as he did go overboard. He still got results. I often wonder if he has mellowed. He is available.

All of that being said I don't see the ownership making a change. I would expect when they do it will be to Joe Cirella. They do not want to spend money (witness the radio broadcasts).

As a long time fan I am also patient as long as I keep seeing improvement I am generally okay with things. That does not mean I will not question decisions the coach makes but does mean that I will not be calling for his head.

I think the future is bright. The GM made the necessary moves to get a goaltender this season- I have the same expectation for next year.

I think Jenner, Jensen, Thomas, Lessio and Laughton will be pleasure to watch next season.

Oshawa fan

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:33 pm

BOBBY ORR NUMBER4 wrote:Was he was the head coach , in the 11-0 drubbing in Belleville in 08 as Oshawa faced elimination .
He did it again this year in Niagra
He cannot motivate the team in the biggest games of the season !

You can't blame Dips on 11-0 against the Bulls he inharated a team from a used car salesman(Selwood) an we had a ton of injuries so I don't blame Dips on that, But I like to know why all the line suffling that was done against Niagara?
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by steamed Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:37 pm

the croc wrote:Many people here have not seen a lot of years of General's hockey. I have,since 1962. Nobody knows what will happen with coaching, players including goaltenders, but the last SOB coach of the Gens Bill Stewart is still out there. He may have been crazy but he took them to the Memorial Cup and had a good team in Barrie. There were lots of incidents with him but the one I remember is a particularly inept Generals loss in Kingston. The boys were driven back to the Civic and learned to skate hard. Paul Theriault was another tough coach. Would the players respond to a coach like these two? Agree that Mr. Biggs will do what his NHL team tells him to do and if he wants to play in Owen Sound the a GOOD GM will make them pay for him. Cheers and see you all in September.

I like Bill Stewart as the Gens coach and wish we still had him but he is working now with the Storm and can see him coaching the Storm, and as far as Paul Theriault I loved when he coached the Gens,I wonder what he is doing today?
steamed
steamed

Back to top Go down

Post by gensman Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:00 pm

The real value of a coach is realized (or not) in meaningful situations (playoffs). Ultra outstanding coaches manufacture wins in tough situations. Certain professional coaches consistently win in these 'meaningful' situations (Windsor) and others do not. A few keep their jobs for 'unspecified' reasons but results rarely change. The rest is pure fluff.

20% of NHL coaches have been axed this year because they could not take their teams to the 'next level!' They will search for an inspiring catalyst who knows how to make their teams win when it counts!

Time for a major upgrade.

gensman

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:43 pm

So does anyone remember how many picks the Gens have in this years draft?

Back to top Go down

Post by hockeybeats Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:36 pm

If the Gens fired their coach at the end of last season like THE SAME PEOPLE are suggesting here, they'd have missed the playoffs this year. Change for the sake of change is nonsense.

Everything that happened this year including losing to Niagara means that everything is right on schedule for a big season next year. Even the suggestion of a coaching change is ludicrous.

My favourite comment is the "same collapse, just a little later" comment. Hilarious. I guess next year if the Gens collapse in Game 7 of the OHL Finals, that's the same collapse, just a little bit later as well and De Piero was "unable to take them to the next level".

hockeybeats

Number of posts : 1131
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by gensrock Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:44 pm

Ok so…..we improved by 35 point from last year, made the playoffs & made it to the 2nd round; lost to a more balanced Icedogs team. Dips addressed the #1 issue with the team & went & got a top-flight goaltender in Peter D.

I think most would agree with this statement.

I am truly amazed that people still pick this team apart for every little aspect. Its kind like YOU ALL WHERE FORMER CHOACHES/GENERAL MANAGERS/PRO SCOUTS but as we all know most of you don’t have a clue what actually happens during a course of a game, series, or season.

Hypothetical speaking of course…..if the gennies got another top flight goalie & replaced the 3 graduating players with the same type of players talent wise & everything remained the same & we won the Memorial Cup. Is it safe to say all you people on this message board would be the 1st to gloat and pat yourselves on the back as a true supporter of this storied franchise?

Is there anything positive from this year? Yes of course

We had 14 new/rookies on this team
We had 2 rookies in the top 20 rookie scoring
We had the pleasure to watch Christian Thomas score goals @ will
We got to see Scott Valentine crush may with the old time hip check
We got to see Andy Andreoff develop into a gritty & productive forward
We got to see Emerson Clark protect his teammates @ any cost!
We saw Colin Suellentrop develop into a “steady Eddie” on the blueline
We saw Boone Jenner’s tenacity each time he got on the ice
We saw rookies get spots on this team over vets
We saw Kyle Hope transition from defense to forward with success

I mean really all you true & great supporters of this team please stand up because all I see on here is
IF’S AND’S OR’S I WOULD HAVE

Yes I totally get everyone is entitled to their opinion and post it here quite regularly. Please ask yourself this question………….what where your expectations for this team at the start of the season? I would bet if you all think about it you didn’t expect the team to get to the 2nd round of the playoffs furthermore I bet your expectation changed when Peter D showed up & changed again in February when we played very well.
But it just amazes me that you all post the negative here on what the team does or doesn’t do.
For once please stand up and support/congratulate the boys on this year’s team for a great season!
gensrock
gensrock

Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2008-07-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next